• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'We believe in generations:' PlayStation argues cross-gen games risk stifling innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of talk about MS wanting to sell subscriptions and not hardware, etc, etc, as if Sony isn't doing the same.

Last I checked, Sony has around 41.5 million paying PS Plus users - that's nearly the entire userbase of Xbox One. The more people that buy your hardware, the more popular you are, the more subscribers that you will likely have to your services, on top of all the benefits of increased sales of games. Sony now has a huge userbase that are tied to their ecosystem with a metric buckton of games that are going to be playable on PS5 due to BC. Where do you think these people will go when they want to buy new consoles?

This generation of online/live service games have really tied people to their console of choice more so than ever before, especially subscription services like PS Plus with it's library of games. I think we will see this going forward. The PS4 will pay dividends for Sony for years to come even after it's long gone, and Sony have done well to service their playerbase with great 1st party support that will encourage those people to move over to PS5 and continue purchasing Sony's services and games.

Kagey K

Banned
What game is so innovative that it’s gameplay couldn’t be on 360 Or PS3?

All the actual gameplay is so derivative lately, using gimmicks don’t hide the trick.

Last edited:

It doesn't need to be innovative, plenty of launch titles couldn't work on those consoles, the devs themselves said so. For instance, they TRIED to make Dead Rising 3 work on 360 and it just wouldn't, how much of that is dev incompetence and how much is the tech of the game is kinda up in the air.

Kagey K

Banned
It doesn't need to be innovative, plenty of launch titles couldn't work on those consoles, the devs themselves said so. For instance, they TRIED to make Dead Rising 3 work on 360 and it just wouldn't, how much of that is dev incompetence and how much is the tech of the game is kinda up in the air.

Had the XB1 not existed, they would have found a way to make it work on 360 and it might have been a better game if they did.

More of something, doesn’t mean better.

Tulipanzo

All the actual gameplay is so derivative lately, using gimmicks don’t hide the trick.
This is exactly the thing: CPUs in consoles haven't improved much since the PS3/360.
So when you say gameplay hasn't gotten much more complex since then, you are correct!

The issue is exactly that, MS's refusing to utilize (finally) much improved components to make new games.

Kagey K

Banned
This is exactly the thing: CPUs in consoles haven't improved much since the PS3/360.
So when you say gameplay hasn't gotten much more complex since then, you are correct!

The issue is exactly that, MS's refusing to utilize (finally) much improved components to make new games.
I’ll wait until next week to draw that conclusion.

But based on what we know already Sony didn’t do it either. For all the PS5 only games we didn’t see any substantial leap in the gameplay department.

In fact most people assumed the Miles Morales game was an add on or cross gen port of a PS4 game until they were specifically told otherwise.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

I’ll wait until next week to draw that conclusion.

But based on what we know already Sony didn’t do it either. For all the PS5 only games we didn’t see any substantial leap in the gameplay department.

In fact most people assumed the Miles Morales game was an add on or cross gen port of a PS4 game until they were specifically told otherwise.
I guess we're ignoring the game in which you instantly hop between dimensions then?

Thing is, I have to question your commitment to wanting more innovative games, when you support devs not getting the tools to innovate at all.

turtlepowa

Banned
Or it could not look as good and the usual will pretend it looks better than anything Sony showed. Want someone to explain to me, why a cross gen game will somehow magically look better than a game built from the ground up on nextgen consoles.
Maybe because this game is also built from the ground up on the most powerful nextgen console and then adapted to the One S. Spencer already said that special games get number 1 prioritiy for the XSX and Halo is one of those games for sure.

MrMiyagi

Banned
This is the right approach but Sony doesn't have 10 million GP subs they need to feed. They would sing a different tune if they had more psnow subs.
Welp, Halo Infinite (cross gen) will finally be unveiled in about 5 days. What will be the excuse if it ends up looking better than any game shown at the sony event?

Also, nothing at the sony event wowed me. Most of them looked like cross gen games that could easily run on a PS4 with downscaling of effects,loading etc.
I understand people expect to be amazed by Halo's next gen visuals. But lets be honest here, a game designed around the limitations of the Xone in 4k/120fps isn't going to impress the same way like HZW will - that's specifically designed around the limitations of the ps5.

All this Smart Delivery, 4k/60fps stuff sounds great until we see the games. Just look at that atrocious May event. People want to see new exciting stuff and nobody will care if that'll be in 30fps and 1440p. What people don't want is the the same ol' Xbone games in 4k and 120fps. Because If people only wanted 4k, the Xbox One X and ps4 pro would have sold a whole lot better.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I understand people expect to be amazed by Halo's next gen visuals. But lets be honest here, a game designed around the limitations of the Xone in 4k/120fps isn't going to impress the same way like HZW will - that's specifically designed around the limitations of the ps5.
Considering Halo's rumoured, crazy high budget, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the devs are literally making 2 versions of it from the ground up for each console. Of course the idea that every game will be made like that is just silly.

I expect Halo Infinite to be the console's visual showcase at launch, I just don't have much faith that every other game will keep to the same standard when the devs have to account for such a massive fork in performance and the real shame will be the lack of differences besides visuals between systems.

Dead Rising 3 brought up already in the thread is a good example. DR3 on XB1 can apparently have 3 times the amount of zombies in any given area than DR2 and can display way more on screen at once. It also has no loading screens between areas. So could DR3 run on 360? Well, sure, I guess... If they added loading screens and lowered the amount of zombies. Could Scorn & Medium run on XB1? Sure... If the devs sacrifice whatever gameplay elements they're touting as needing that extra XSX power.

See, the benefits aren't just shinier graphics, they're also more game logic being ran at the same time. Now, unless MS allow MASSIVE variations between versions (I doubt they will) then that's where the performance fork will hit the games. You want a 2 million man army charging at your character? On XSX no problem. ...But it tanks performance on XB1... So you either have a version of the game with less enemies on XB1, or (and I'm guessing this is what will actually happen), you just lower the all round number on enemies.

So you're just playing the XB1 version on XSX... But it has ray tracing & 60FPS, 4K...

it's odd that people are even arguing the fact that a new console gen offers more options to devs in terms of what's possible in their games. I guess if you have so little faith in this then you won't actually be getting a XSX seeing as your XB1X is already more than enough?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Add the following names to that list:
Ronnie2K
Aaron Greenburg
Bobby Kotick

Just to name a few

Plus this tit

OIP.4r8ZSghT3IM_iqQlcWSPtQAAAA

Google Translate: “We believe in selling more hardware.”
Yeah, they call it business. Provide value to customers and get money for exchange. Wither, new hardware with software or subscription service. Each company caters to specific kind of customers to grow thier business. Some want to pay 3000 dollars on PC to play Dota, some want to pay 7 dollars for subscription to play mostly old games, and some want a great single player experience with latest technology.

thelastword

Banned
Truer words have never been spoken. I'm not excited for next gen because of BC and Cross-Gen games.....Show me some true next gen looking games ground up.......That's why I'm stoked for every generation. Especially for a generation where the hardware is so well designed......That blazing SSD, that high speed GPU, a powerful CPU with it for once, Smartshift, 3D Audio, Raytracing, New balls to the walls haptic controller and you're telling me I'm paying $500 for a new console, just to play some cross gen games? Sony is on the money here as usual.....

Sony kept giving thier customers valuable exclusive games til the last moment of the generation. Most of their latest exclusives can also be considered cross gen such as TLOU2 and GoT. They released GOW2 exclusively on PS2 in 2007 when PS3 was in the market.
I believe it's fair to move on to next gen and forget about current one. They made our $400 investment in the last 6 years worth it.

It is funny however that Microsoft who didn't care to release games on xone for the last 6 years do care about releasing games now. They care mostly about subscribers and if XSX doesn't push for the growth of their subscription user base, they will try to release GP on Playstation and Nintendo and tel us that the age of platforms are over and the future of videogames is to become a third party publisher. 😂

Truer words have never been spoken. I'm not excited for next gen because of BC and Cross-Gen games.....Show me some true next gen looking games ground up.......That's why I'm stoked for every generation. Especially for a generation where the hardware is so well designed......That blazing SSD, that high speed GPU, a powerful CPU with it for once, Smartshift, 3D Audio, Raytracing, New balls to the walls haptic controller and you're telling me I'm paying $500 for a new console, just to play some cross gen games? Sony is on the money here as usual.....
And Sony isn't even being innovative; they are just doing what they have done for as long as Playstation existed. They are doing console gaming the tradition way.

I am amused that there is an attempt by Xbox PR to try and badmouth the entire console industry up to this point, including what Xbox 360 did in its heyday. I am not sure what is the point of selling consoles if you hate the industry that much.

Well, at least you are not Nvidia fanboy who pays $1300 for graphics card to play Dota 2, Counter Strike and 3 year old ports. 😂😂😂😂😂

Hudo

Makes sense. Sony likes to sell devices, Microsoft likes to sell services. So it's natural that both have a different point of view on things. I can't say who is wrong or right because I think both are valid approaches to the same problem. There are of course specific advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.

My problem is that I kind of want the best of both worlds, where you retain backwards compatibility, so you can still play your old games (and don't have games "lost" on platforms, like you can't, for example, play specific Saturn games anymore unless you've got the game and a working Saturn) and don't have to be conned into buying remasters/rebuying your games. On the other hand, I don't want to be held hostage by having my games locked behind an account, specific to a manufacturer (the easiest solution for backwards compatibility is to have your games associated to your account). You kinda can get close to this with physical games but you still need to update them with day 1-patches etc, and manufacturers clearly want to push digital-only distribution (which I don't like). So I'm fucked.
Now, if those accounts were platform agnostic...that would be something cool. But that would require either an industry standard or third-party stores being allowed.

Last edited:

Goalus

I would say that as well if I were unable to offer a unified ecosystem across different hardware platforms.

This is effectively nothing but a marketing angle for Sony, same as MS's approach. But Sony's statements here can be broken down easily by the following:

1): Many 3rd-party games are generally cross-gen for the first year or two. So whether Sony realizes it or not, this is a stealth insult to their 3rd-party partners. Probably not a good thing to do.

2): The first year or two of any new system launch generally doesn't have paradigm-shifting game design choices that absolutely require the next-generation hardware. Indeed it took until late '96 or such for the PS1 to start seeing those kind of games such as Tomb Raider and Resident Evil, and you can see that pattern repeated with virtually every other PlayStation console and portable device.

The only two systems I can think of that had legitimately "next-gen" games at launch that offered paradigm shifts were Nintendo 64 and (arguably) the Wii. Ironically, both of those are Nintendo platforms.

3): If we were to believe such design paradigm shifts were present with Sony's launch or launch-period games, we'd have already seen that or gotten glimpses of it. GT7 has no major game design shifts that are "next-gen" other than going back to the classic GT formula in ways most fans actually want. Horizon: Forbidden West similarly, doesn't seem to provide any design paradigm shifts that seem to absolutely require next-gen. I can even extend that to Ratchet & Clank, really, at least from what we've seen so far.

And then with Astro Boy's PlayRoom we saw demoed today with the DualSense controller; that game actually looks really fun, but the controller features came off as a gimmick and some of those we've already seen done over a decade prior on the Wii in games like Super Mario Galaxy. Tested, proven gameplay gimmicks but nothing essential to the experience whatsoever.

Basically, what Sony are saying here is nothing more than a PR statement. It doesn't take away from the energy of what they've shown so far and all of their 1st party looks pretty good to me on PS5, but there's nothing being shown there right now that screams a next-generation paradigm shift in design. Also oddly enough while some people do bring up the SSD in this regard, all of their examples basically fall back to prettier graphics.

I'm not saying that's what I personally think of the SSDs; they will offer great advantages for game design next gen without a doubt. But one of the best explanations of that actually comes from the DiRT 5 developer who was discussing parts of XvA, using mid-frame texture replacements to model car model damage in a more sophisticated manner. And yeah that kind of also falls into the "prettier graphics" talk too, but at least I can see it's implications in relation to game design that is based on a heightened sense of collision detection, for example.

This is misinterpretation and/or misinformation. MS already clarified games like Halo Infinite are being designed with Series X as the baseline, and downporting to XBO.

We just don't know if that's being done by the main team or a secondary team, or outsourced to a third party. Additionally, whether that's being done simultaneously or the downport is being staggered out (meaning it could release later).
Thicc wall of shitty text in here. Capcom is very known greedy 3rd party publisher already sacrificed 150 million user base for RE8 village that will release early next year. They already said that current gen consoles were limiting them. Did you see that in the trailer? Just lik HFW you may not see it but developers already taled about.

Now if you have ps4, go play TLOU2 because they have girls with Thicc-arms-are-the-best 😂😂😂

Guilty_AI

Would sound more convincing if aside from the visual department everything they make wasn't stuck 1 or 2 gens behind.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Good. This is the direction new generations should be going. I have a friend who loves Xbox so much, he's arguing with me how the Xbox design is not holding back anything by doing this when it absolutely will hold the new Xbox back. They're basing towing the Xbox Series X behind an Xbox One X to jump start it.

MS either has no confidence in selling Series Xs off the shelf or they still don't have a game plan for this new system. But I guess we'll have to hear how Phil will save the world with his old new vision.

"Report me for SonyGAF. SonyBots, fanboys > 04/27"
Read your own tag there, buddy.
old.gif

Not siding with the user or anything but it's probably very difficult for him to break the habit that he had. Once you do something so many times over and over again it's very difficult to stop.

Hopefully he learns from this and doesn't slip up.

On Topic: I agree that it requires a new generation to incorporate new features like what they are doing with the controller. Sure they could always update the DS4 to include them but then only a minority will actually own the controller. And many developers are just going to ignore them. Now that everyone will have a DualSense the developers know that the features won't go to waste and will include them in many of their games.

I dont know, maybe not, what words should I use there?

Sony fanboys will drool all over this post and then say "look ps5 games are 30% better looking!"

Its not just using "Sony fanboys" it's also creating a phrase around it that's geared towards provoking other people. Essentially you were just trying to get a rise out of them and console warring is frowned upon here since it only derails the thread.

CAB_Life

I guess they’re going to stop releasing remasters then? All eyes on the frontier of new and glorious technology, innovation, and design? Demon‘s Souls remake is what, then, exactly? I’m expecting a plethora of new gameplay features and online connectivity for the title—non-visual upgrades that simply weren‘t possible last gen—or this statement rings as hollow as it seems.

It’s been amusing, to say the least, watching them trade PR barbs over the last few days and subsequently watching the zealots parrot their preferred corporate ideology. I know it’s exciting to talk about this stuff, but I’ve been through enough console generations to have been fool, zealot and fanboy at various instances and I’m just a wee bit too seasoned now to fall for any of the bullshit either of these companies are saying so close to the launch of a new, flagship console.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeaaaah right --- no chance Horizon looks like that.

Yeah I'm disappointed that sony has also started downgrading. Tbh it started with gow and Spiderman but you weren't allowed to criticize Sony back then.

That said, I thought you all said these games looked cross gen. Now you are saying they look so good they can't be next gen?

Make up your mind. Either they look meh or they look too good to be true

Allandor

So that is why games on ps3 and PS4 are well almost the same but with better graphics on the later console. Not that there are the same games on both systems, but there was almost nothing innovative on them. Just iterations of new games with good presentation. Game play wise we are still playing the same games than on ps2 but with better controls and graphics.
I really don't see the innovation in game play there.

Well, the last really innovative game was assassins creed. After that only games with refined game play. Not bad games (many were really good) but more or less more of the same.

Last edited:
They can believe in fairies and unicorns for all I care. Please keep releasing your games on PC. It was such a weird feeling firing up Death Stranding for the first time and seeing "Sony Interactive Entertainment presents" on the screen.

Then why wasn't it a cross-gen game?

Because MS had a partnership deal with Capcom to use it as a vehicle for promoting XBO and thought the best way to do that was by keeping it next-gen exclusive.

You guys are acting like money is never a factor in this. That's crazy.

There was nothinf technically impressive about dead framerate 3 other than the fact that previous dead risings were better, ran better, and we talking about a launch system handling the game poorly, and you think the xone can handle a scaled down series x game...?
PortlyEarlyEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Imagine believing all game development is exactly the same....

CamHostage CamHostage Believe it or not I gotta truncate myself here :LOL: . I'll just touch on the launch-period games you bring up.

PS1: Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Air Combat, Toshinden

Ridge Racer was visually great but nothing in terms of gameplay or physics that wasn't possible on, say, the 3DO which launched two years ago. Not to mention in terms of gameplay it lacked the depth of offerings like Daytona USA (whose Saturn port was rushed out hence the bad graphics and pop-in). Nothing in RR showed a game design shift in something beyond Need For Speed on 3DO. In fact in some ways NFS was more technically impressive in terms of physics.

Battle Arena Toshinden, that game is notorious for being visually flashy but lacked a lot on substance. In terms of gameplay and mechanics, nothing there couldn't of been done on even the 32X, which got Virtua Fighter (which by all accounts of gameplay was the better game). BAT has a somewhat dubious history these days because of that, but the main reason it impressed at the time was due to graphics, not gameplay.

Wipeout, again, it was VISUALLY great but was only a small incremental improvement over games like F-Zero which was a SNES launch title. It might've had an atmosphere only capable on then-next gen hardware, though, so I'm willing to give that one a pass. Still though, it's more the exception, not the rule, and it wasn't what I'd call indicative of a paradigm shift. The same can be said of Ace Combat which, technically, was already an arcade game much like Ridge Racer so that now brings up the question of do you count ports of games from other areas of the industry as contributing to a "paradigm shift" in game design for a home console they did not originate on? Because by that logic we should be giving games like Ridge Racer and Ace Combat to the arcade.

PS2: Tekken Tag, Dynasty Warriors, Kessen, Dark Cloud, AquaAqua, SSX, Smuggler's Run, TimeSplitters, UT

I'm sorry but there was NOTHING that was a game-changer in Tekken Tag. It was a (very prettied up) port of the arcade Tekken Tag which was basically Tekken 3 with tag-team. A fantastic formula, but nothing new. In fact I remember at the time people were more impressed with DOA2, a game that actually did bring some big changes in game design for fighting games due to the destructible stages. Only thing is, it already had an earlier home port on the Dreamcast, and that was the better version to boot. But again, its roots are as an arcade game so shouldn't that scene get the credit?

I think Dark Cloud somewhat qualifies, though it didn't execute on many of its concepts very well. Again, though, that's the exception, not the rule. SSX was just a well-polished iteration of previous snowboarding games, it didn't really reinvent the wheel in game design for that genre (let alone industry at large) per-se. Very fun game, though. Dunno about Smuggler's Run; in a lot of ways it was kind of Rockstar's take on games like Crazy Taxi which I'd say had a much bigger impact on racing game design, and that game originated in arcades. But even before that there was Harley Davidson & L.A Riders, another SEGA arcade release in 1997 that set the foundation for that. Smuggler's Run was just iterating on the formula for those games with its own little spin, nothing genre-shifting especially considering Crazy Taxi got a Dreamcast port beforehand.

Timesplitters is interesting; while it did have some innovations in the concept and multiplayer, it also clearly iterated on N64 shooters like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. I think it might count, but again it's an exception not a rule, and notice this is a 3rd-party game. Unreal Tournament doesn't count; the PS2 version was cut down and additionally, its roots are with the PC scene. Give them their due on that one.

PS3: R6 Vegas, Oblivion, Untold Legends, Blast Factor (not revolutionary in and of itself, but you couldn't download games with PS2, and now you can)

Vegas was a multiplatform release and already saw release on 360 well before the PS3 version. So if you want to give any system props on that one, it should be the 360. Same goes for Oblivion, it released on 360 first, PS3 just got the port later on. I don't know a lot about Blast Factory so can't comment there.

PS4: Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall

I think both of these fall into the "technical showpiece" category but didn't have much in the way of legitimate gameplay innovations.

PS5:

Basically gave my thoughts here already. Sole exception of Ratchet and Clank, but from the gameplay seen so far seems to serve more as an evolution on the formula and nothing I'd consider a paradigm shift in game design for the platforming genre or gaming as a whole.

I'd take Sony's justification seriously if they hadn't been releasing rehashes like Spiderman and TLOU2. Neither of them moved genres or storytelling forward. Yeah, they could have been called technical showpieces but that really doesn't matter in the long run.

I find myself playing and enjoying older releases or games made without graphics in mind more often because they take the time to innovate in gameplay or storytelling. Interestingly enough, those titles also usually come from Japan or Eastern Europe, so that probably tells you SocJus kills innovation.

SliChillax

Welp, Halo Infinite (cross gen) will finally be unveiled in about 5 days. What will be the excuse if it ends up looking better than any game shown at the sony event?

Also, nothing at the sony event wowed me. Most of them looked like cross gen games that could easily run on a PS4 with downscaling of effects,loading etc.
The Last of Us Part 2 can run on PS3 if you downscale everything, whats the point of this post? The whole point is not to downscale.

Last edited:

Agent X

Hmm, I don't think I'd put too much faith into Sony trying much more with its old console this generation. Once PS4 was out, Sony was pretty well done with PS3 except for an occasional SingStar or MLB The Show. They put some cross-platform games out that next year (LBP3, Entwined, Resogun, Hohokum,) but even those mid-scale games they used to put out have kind of dried up. (Perhaps SackBoy could have been cross-platform and kept up the transition tradition...) They may support existing products with DLC, and maybe some of their indie and external productions or perhaps online-oriented or VR products (stuff like Predator or ReadySet Heroes) will continue to appear where they can support the old market, but I think Sony is content with Indies having their way with the past-gen console, same way they let Indies and 3rd Party keep PS Vita afloat when they moved away from supporting that platform.

I think you and I are pretty much on the same page here, with the only difference being that I view this more like a "glass half full" rather than a "glass half empty" situation.

Relative to PS3, Sony has more incentive to keep the PS4 kicking around longer because it was a noticeably more popular system, with a much more active user base. It's a lot like PS1 & PS2 in that regard.

PS3's extended support after PS4 release mostly consisted of LBP3, MLB The Show, and downloadable games where they shared resources with PS4 & Vita releases. I mean, that doesn't sound like anything to grab about on the surface, but here's a hard-hitting fact to ponder: Sony released a larger number of first-party games for PS3 in 2014, than Microsoft released for Xbox One throughout 2018 and 2019 combined.

Don't take my word for it. Let the game lists from Wikipedia tell the story:

List of Sony first-party games

List of Microsoft first-party games

With that in mind, you'll have to forgive me if I'm not exactly convinced that Xbox One is going to magically undergo some sort of glorious first-party gaming renaissance over the next two years.

Derktron

Banned
This is the right approach but Sony doesn't have 10 million GP subs they need to feed. They would sing a different tune if they had more psnow subs.
Personally I wish they did the same with PSNow, Gamepass is a great service for many folks who simply can’t afford to buy games. That’s my argument there.

Texas Pride

Banned
I'll take you on that bet. You're forgetting MS has acquired a bunch of new studios. And the fact most if not all of sony 1st party studios aim for 30fps. So yes, it is subjective when games that are 60fps are being compared to 30fps games

Playgrounds(rpg team is full of ex Rockstar and Rocksteady devs) new Fable, Ninja Theorys Hellblade 2, The Initiatives(full of Sony Santa Monica,Naughty Dog, Rockstar devs) new rumored Perfect Dark, The Coalition new game, Turn 10's new Forza etc all with the power of the most powerful next gen console.

Hope's and dreams. Stop watching Shill Spenser.

This "We believe in Generations" talk from Sony would hold a lot more weight if the games releasing on PS5 this Holiday didn't just look like higher resolution PS4 games. Hell, the most anticipated upcoming PS5 title is Spiderman: Miles Morales which by all intents and purposes is a glorified expansion that will be approximately 1/3 the content of the first game. Look at the screenshots of the game and tell me it can't be done on PS4.

PS5:
euBtDMZ.jpg

PS4 PRO:
q6YvGbS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom