• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Galactic Fork said:
Just a quick one. I know this was his reason in 2, it seems his village is always in trouble. :(

11sntp4.png

Goddamn dude, awesome. Love the tag line.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinci said:
That's Alvin Lee, man. He's a comic book artist. If that's on deviantart, I doubt it's with his permission. And yes, he's awesome.

Read the link. Its from UdonCrew's DA page. You know, the studio that does the Street Fighter comics and the full artwork for SSFIITHDR. He's done work with Udon.

And there are plenty of professional artists on DA.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Shig said:
Personally speaking, this thing is going at way too fast a pace for me to even bother keeping up. 6 topics in 2 weeks is an utterly ridiculous and unsustainable pace, I'm not surprised in the least to see signs of burnout. Make the topics weekly, let people stew their ideas more and get more of a chance at some downtime to work on them, and you'll see more, and better-realized, submissions.
yah it should be setup like the weekly photography thread in OT.

PantherLotus said:
I have to say, mik's is more than professional (except for the blurry/misshapen quarters and the border on the capcom logo), it's perfect. The nuance, the in-joke, and the irony all hit the perfect note. Well done.

Above, I think xintin's might very well be the best ad* in the entire thread (except for his red/white paint Mirror's Edge). *That said, I think his are clearly bordering on artwork, of which I would like to hang on my wall rather than as an effective advertisement.

Btw, I'm with whoever said we should slow this down. Maybe not 1 per week, because then the thread would die, but the one every two days is unsustainable. Maybe have two separate days, like Mondays and Thursdays for putting up new ads? Also, I think Ani should establish a better way to pick the next target, like letting him come up with 4-5 ideas and then taking an unofficial vote or something.

And Red Scarlet, I think Xintin deserves the third Professional tag on this board.

Tamanon - Professional Bastard
PantherLotus - Professional Schmuck
Xintin - Professional Artiste

Look higher for tag changers.

Mar_ said:

Well, I guess 'brought' can work, it just sounds weird to say "you brought MK?".

AniHawk said:
Link's Awakening is after Left 4 Dead, so you'll have to wait.

How do you want me to abbreviate that? Zelda 4? The current title is using the maximum space available for a thread title, so if you can think of a more concise thread title for more space for the game itself to be put in, that'd be cool.

AniHawk

Red Scarlet said:
Look higher for tag changers.

Well, I guess 'brought' can work, it just sounds weird to say "you brought MK?".

How do you want me to abbreviate that? Zelda 4? The current title is using the maximum space available for a thread title, so if you can think of a more concise thread title for more space for the game itself to be put in, that'd be cool.

Link's Awakening should fit as Link's Awakening. If there's a title with too many characters, I guess the "for the hell of it" can go.

That said, I think his are clearly bordering on artwork, of which I would like to hang on my wall rather than as an effective advertisement.

Part of this is the lack of the logo in any of his pieces except for Persona 4. I do agree with you that they're fucking awesome though.

Also, I think Ani should establish a better way to pick the next target, like letting him come up with 4-5 ideas and then taking an unofficial vote or something.

The original plan was to have a console like the TurboGrafx 16 or Neo Geo or Sega Genesis after Mega Man 9, and then some retro game like Adventure after that. And actually, Super Mario Bros. was going to be the first game, but I changed it at the last minute since I thought the concept might be lost on people if it started off on a 23 year old game.

Anyway, I'm paying attention. Aside from Persona 4, there wasn't anything here that was done purely because I wanted to do it.

orioto

Good Art™
I think i will give up on this thread ! i don't really like the style that make people go nuts. I mean it's as a matter really professional but not really what i like to do.

Blablablah anyway, Mik, Xintin, PantherLotus, i hate you !! i'll go Federer on this one :D

AniHawk

orioto said:
I think i will give up on this thread ! i don't really like the style that make people go nuts. I mean it's as a matter really professional but not really what i like to do.

Blablablah anyway, Mik, Xintin, PantherLotus, i hate you !! i'll go Federer on this one :D

What?

You didn't have to use just images from the web, orioto. You could have drawn something yourself. A couple of the better MM9 ones were done this way (MM on Rush and the "concept art" ones).

orioto

Good Art™
AniHawk said:
What?

You didn't have to use just images from the web, orioto. You could have drawn something yourself. A couple of the better MM9 ones were done this way (MM on Rush and the "concept art" ones).

I'm using things from the web, but i don't want to just use artwork so i edit things a lot, as i do usually.

But it takes too much time and i'd rather focus on better english/slogan AND composition. I suck at compo !

But i don't know.... I don't really have the same tastes of people in there for adds. Not that the good one are bad, not at all, but i find it rather classical and too much private hardcore gamer joke centred.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
orioto said:
I'm using things from the web, but i don't want to just use artwork so i edit things a lot, as i do usually.

But it takes too much time and i'd rather focus on better english/slogan AND composition. I suck at compo !

But i don't know.... I don't really have the same tastes of people in there for adds. Not that the good one are bad, not at all, but i find it rather classical and too much private hardcore gamer joke centred.

Just post it, man. Its no competition

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
McBacon said:
http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/vgbargains/wp-content/gaf/sf4ad.jpg

Here, this should make you feel better, you whining bitch.

You forgot screenshots and company logos.

Haunted

Ah, so page 16 is where this thread delivers again.

So many good ones, it would be unfair to pick out any specific one. Well done, gentlemen.

edit: also, orioto sounds like an insecure perfectionist (a lethal combination to get your stuff out there), but we're all friends here - so just go for it, man. :D

mik said:
That is rad. I swear to Jesus I didn't swipe your idea--I already had this in progress when I saw yours and thought, "oops."
sf4-revenge.jpg
Dont worry, the awesome isnt any less :D Your work really is great...even if it didnt have the professional level of quality(which it certainly isnt lacking), its still catchy as hell.

PantherLotus said:
someone quote mine on this page because i need attention

PantherLotus said:
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
No one liked my entry from last page ;_; I'll work harder on the next one then.

P.S.: some truly amazing stuff in this thread :D

No_Style

So awesome!

Also, Panther, you could do a China Represent with: Chun Li, Fei Long, Gen and/or Dan

Or you could just isolate Dan, for a Dan Represent :lol

Sword Familiar said:
How about an EU REPRESENT with Cammy, Zangief and Abel? :D

Too bad there's no German representative, like in SFIII. Would have been nice with UK/France/Germany.
Capcom should put in some Dutch character in SFV, or make one for DLC in IV!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Notorious_Roy said:
Capcom should put in some Dutch character in SFV, or make one for DLC in IV!

A character who utilizes windmill kicks, wearing clogs and tulips? :p

Anyway, I was thinking about the VETO nations, it wasn't about personal reference ;).

Jocchan said:

Jocchan said:
2elcvg6.jpg

EDIT: size fixed.
Whadaya mean!? Thats a great one!
Its better than mine
4jb8dy.jpg

I need to get my skills up so my ads looks a bit more professional, its fun as hell though. Im saying it now...my next one will be epic, tag worthy stuff. Im serious :^|

Finally decided to take a break from working on my thesis and make an ad :lol
Didn't get to spend as much time on it as I wanted but hopefully you guys dig it. I wanted to do mine as a two-page ad, either side-by-side or (ideally) part 1 on the first side, part 2 on the backside. Part 2 could probably stand on its own though. Anyway, here goes:

Page 1 (front side):
sf4_timetokill_01.jpg

Page 2 (reverse side):
sf4_timetokill_02.jpg

Ledsen

Jocchan said:

Yours was awesome, one of the most creative ones yet. I love it. Don't worry, people like them even if most don't comment :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sword Familiar said:
How about an EU REPRESENT with Cammy, Zangief and Abel? :D

Too bad there's no German representative, like in SFIII. Would have been nice with UK/France/Germany.
No_Style said:
So awesome!

Also, Panther, you could do a China Represent with: Chun Li, Fei Long, Gen and/or Dan

Or you could just isolate Dan, for a Dan Represent :lol
Jaded Alyx said:
Isn't Dan Korean?

I think doing a China one makes the most sense. The thing that would help me most would be a list of each character and what country they were from. You wouldn't believe how long I took trying to find three Japanese characters.

I'd like to do an EU one, but isn't Zangief Russian (and is Russia in the EU)?

Jocchan said:

Yours was awesome! Sorry I didn't say anything. It looks great and is definitely closer to what I would expect to see in a magazine than some of the other ones that look more like a wall scroll.

mik

mik is unbeatable
PantherLotus said:
Russia is in Europe. But you could also use Vega (Spain) or Rose (Italy).

platypotamus said:
Idea for people with skills to use as they see fit: Something April Fool's joke Sheng Long related.
I thought about this and came up with a nice idea, but my skills arent good enough to pull it off...so i had to go with something else :^(

NME

Russia is not part of the European Union.

The thing that would help me most would be a list of each character and what country they were from.

Apologies for the wacky formatting, but at least you get alphabetical order by country and by character name within each country:

Code:
Blanka	        Brazil

Chun-Li	        China
Gen	                China

Cammy	        England

Abel	                France

Dan	                Hong Kong
Fei-Long	        Hong Kong

Dhalsim	        India

Rose	                Italy

Akuma	        Japan
E. Honda	        Japan
Gouken	        Japan
Ryu	                Japan
Sakura	        Japan

El Fuerte	        Mexico

Zangief	        Russia (Former Soviet Union, technically)

Vega	                Spain

Sagat	        Thailand

Balrog	        USA
Crimson Viper	USA
Guile	                USA
Ken	                USA
Rufus	        USA

M. Bison	        ???
Seth	                ???

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Personally I think the thread to should stick to unreleased games... helps build hype and gain recognition for our upcoming favorites (and gets people recognized on white boards?), but that's just my two cents, since, ya know... I can't make anything to submit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PantherLotus said:
I think doing a China one makes the most sense. The thing that would help me most would be a list of each character and what country they were from. You wouldn't believe how long I took trying to find three Japanese characters.

If you wanna get all technical Akuma isn't listed with the Japanese flag in the character selection screen, but hey, they're your ads and they're awesome.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Regulus Tera said:
If you wanna get all technical Akuma isn't listed with the Japanese flag in the character selection screen, but hey, they're your ads and they're awesome.

Yeah, I know. I figured his name being Akuma, the samurai hair tie, and the big kanji on his back were big giveaways. But who knows, maybe he's Jamaican?

Jocchan: AWESOME!! (i wish it said 'Now's your chance!')

Top Bottom