• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We did BOIZ! Hank Azaria will no longer voice Apu

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

The Clowns win again. An extremly talented and funny actor was finally shown the door because he didn't have the right skin color. Thank god we live in a world where the color of your skin (even though its only your voice) can determine your aptitude for a job. MLK must be partying in his grave right now, we all remember his famous saying right?

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but NOT by the content of their character,"

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
That really really sucks. Only positive is the new stuff ain’t worth watching so there’s that.

Reactions: cryptoadam

daemissary

Nov 19, 2011
The Simpsons has been dog shit for 20 years and it was only good for 10. How is it still on the air? Who is their target demo? I’m convinced its all nostalgic 50+ year olds like WWE at this point.

Reactions: shoplifter

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Oh fuck, I was so confused why furries existed. It's all so clear now. They saw this shit coming and are about to take over the animal character voice acting world.

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
Oh fuck, I was so confused why furries existed. It's all so clear now. They saw this shit coming and are about to take over the animal character voice acting world.
I can’t wait until these idiots go full racist and start making rules like “only black people can play lions” oh wait...

Reactions: Eiknarf

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I can’t wait until these idiots go full racist and start making rules like “only black people can play lions” oh wait...
Don't worry, they're going to give back the exclusive water fountains once again.

Last edited:

Rran

Jan 2, 2013
amugsblog.blogspot.com
This sucks. The Simpsons not matching the quality of their first 8 seasons is irrelevant; this move means that voice acting can now be deemed offensive. Using the logic given here, why should Krusty, or Groundskeeper Willie, or Cletus, or Jacques be any different? Hank Azaria isn't black--is voicing Carl a problem? Nancy Cartwright isn't a ten-year-old boy! Charles Martinet isn't a chubby Italian plumber that saves princesses! Why is Apu wrong and the rest of these are fine?

I know cartoon voices are a minor quibble in the grand scheme of things. But this is largely about censorship, double standards, and what our culture can collectively cancel if enough of a mob is riled up. And I'm sick of seeing it.

For a much more eloquent exploration of this idea, check out this video:

Last edited:

manfestival

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2009
I didn't even realize that these people were still pushing and gunning for this mans position. That is a shame.

zenspider

May 9, 2016
I don’t think moves like this solve the problems as identified, but The Simpsons -> MLK!?!? FFS

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
Rumor is this guy dubbed "The Indian Joker" is going to voice Apu going forward

Sleepydays

Sep 12, 2017
Absurd to cave into the grifting, unfunny dick that made the documentary about this, but it is the zombie Simpsons we're talking about.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
The Simpsons has been dog shit for 20 years and it was only good for 10. How is it still on the air? Who is their target demo? I’m convinced its all nostalgic 50+ year olds like WWE at this point.
My guess is, outside of the writing, the show can often appeal to kids the same way it could when it first premiered. Kids didn't adore Bart Simpson because they at 9 years old recognized the brilliance of the show. They just thought he was cool. It's a cartoon on prime time television when not much else to compete with kids as an audience is on other channels. It makes sense to me that their ratings are way lower, but some would still be watching.

daemissary

Nov 19, 2011
My guess is, outside of the writing, the show can often appeal to kids the same way it could when it first premiered. Kids didn't adore Bart Simpson because they at 9 years old recognized the brilliance of the show. They just thought he was cool. It's a cartoon on prime time television when not much else to compete with kids as an audience is on other channels. It makes sense to me that their ratings are way lower, but some would still be watching.
I dunno, I don’t think Bart Simpson is remotely thought of as cool nowadays but maybe I’m wrong. I don’t have kids but I’m 35 so many of my friends have kids in the perfect age range and I don’t think any of them watch the Simpsons. They all would much rather watch YouTube Reacts videos and trash like that than the Simpsons which should really say something.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Disney will milk the Simpsons forever. In 2046 after Ivanka completed her 2nd term due to Trump retiring after his 5th term people will still be calling for the canceling of the Simpsons.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Sleepydays

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
I dunno, I don’t think Bart Simpson is remotely thought of as cool nowadays but maybe I’m wrong. I don’t have kids but I’m 35 so many of my friends have kids in the perfect age range and I don’t think any of them watch the Simpsons. They all would much rather watch YouTube Reacts videos and trash like that than the Simpsons which should really say something.
Right, and we completely agree there, which is why their ratings are so low. But for the few who are watching TV at that time, that's pretty much the only option that would appeal to kids. I'm saying kids in the 90s thought he was cool. Now days he's just pretty much the only option in that time slot on television.

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Hank Azaria isn't black--is voicing Carl a problem?
Seriously. These fucking people are insane. I think the rationale might be that Carl isn't a "stereotypically black" voiced character. He just has a funny voice that Azaria claims isn't inspired by any person in particular, just "a funny voice I've always done."

If he was playing like a black version of a character like Snake, an oft-incarcerated black fella spitting ebonics left and right, well, in that case, only a black skinned voice actor could do it because a white person doing it would be mockery.

Reactions: lock2k

Rran

Jan 2, 2013
amugsblog.blogspot.com
If he was playing like a black version of a character like Snake, an oft-incarcerated black fella spitting ebonics left and right, well, in that case, only a black skinned voice actor could do it because a white person doing it would be mockery.
Right, I think that'd be a point where a stereotype could be going too far. But too many people assume that Apu is an offensive caricature when I can only presume that they haven't seen the show. He's a well-rounded character that's actually pretty friendly, understanding and smart, especially when compared to the rest of the rogue's gallery of Springfield.

Reactions: Saiyu and Nymphae

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Let's join pitchforks and go after that dude who voices Kratos. How dare he /s

Jan 9, 2018
Naturally, an urban person of some wealth voicing borderline-retarded slack-jawed rural bumpkins is, however, perfectly unobjectionable. Or an atheist voicing a comic portrayal of a pastor, etc.

Only a small, curated list of boutique identities and nationalities must be carefully protected from the horror of satire or mockery.

If Azaria had any integrity, he'd refuse to do any of his voices rather than shutter one, and just let the show die.

Last edited:

Macapala

Jun 25, 2013
Fuck these cunts. These delusional fucks think they are fighting the good fight, but in reality they're the problem.

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Naturally, an urban person of some wealth voicing borderline-retarded slack-jawed rural bumpkins is, however, perfectly unobjectionable. Or an atheist voicing a comic portrayal of a pastor, etc.

Only a small, curated list of boutique identities and nationalities must be carefully protected from the horror of satire or mockery.

If Azaria had any integrity, he'd refuse to do any of his voices rather than shutter one, and just let the show die.
I'm pretty sure Azaria is the main one pushing for this. Matt Groening has spoken out against it.

The ironic thing about all this is Apu is one of the least one-dimensional minority characters on the show.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I'm pretty sure Azaria is the main one pushing for this. Matt Groening has spoken out against it.
Only probably because he was getting trashed for it. I am sure when this storm blew up Hank was like Simpsons is 20 years past its expiry date and I am too old for this shit. Matt just take Apu out to the woodshed.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Are there any Indian actors playing Jewish characters? Isn’t Seth MacFarlan Indian?
Not sure if joking but I don't think Seth is Indian, I think he is Irish LOL.

There are Indian actors who play hispanic characters though.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Oct 17, 2017
Yea, the Simpsons cancelled itself 20 years ago. I’m ok with shit-Simpsons cancelling shit-Apu.

If they try to erase him from the classic seasons, then I’ll have words. Words I’ll probably only share with my pets and maybe my Uber drivers.

triplestation

Dec 23, 2008
NYC
for themselves

the left cancelled apu, for themselves

sane people are still around and will always be around

apu is still the wonderful man he always was

let the freakshow be a freakshow, let them keep walking in circles who cares

Reactions: Cravis

TindalosPup

Nov 1, 2019
I'm glad I haven't watched the show in decades (aside from rewatching the earlier seasons)

In Apu's honor: