• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We ever get an explanation for why Link's hair was pink in LttP?

Orayn

...I don't know. All the artwork of Link for ALttP showed him with golden blonde hair as usual. Maybe it was an art direction thing to make his sprite "pop" more?

DonMigs85

I think it was a palette issue or something, but even Mario World had some off colors for Bowser and such.

super-mario-world-bowser-battle.jpg

Hylian deoxyribonucleic acid contained an oddity: Until the completion of puberty, all male Hylians hair glows a pinkish colour when exposed to air. Its why they all wear hats.

When the Sacred Realm / Dark World collapsed, the radiation released seeped into Hyrule and mutated the Hylians so that they no longer had this characteristic. The same radiation also slowly transforms A Link to the Past Hyrule (overflowing with abundant life) into The Legend of Zelda Hyrule (an irradiated wasteland, in which people live in caves as natural "radiation bunkers" to protect them from the radiation).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They really need to include an alternate color scheme in the next Smash with Pink Hair.

Orayn

Shed_a_Ninja said:
The NES and SNES would have some strange color pallettes.
I don't think this is quite it - SNES had a nice golden color available, but the palette for Link's sprite doesn't use it for whatever reason.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MisterHero said:
Link was truly outrageous wasn't he
Truly, truly outrageous.

EDIT: I always figured it had something to do with making it easier to tell what was what within the sprite. Similar to the way Mario got his moustache.

Deadbeat said:
I always thought the liner of his hat was the pink part. Explains why the rest of his hair was okay.
Flying_Phoenix said:
I always thought it was just a big lipped end border of his hat?
WYHYD.jpg
?
He already has a border around his hat. His hair is clearly pink

Eusis said:
They had 256 colors to use and the closest one was pink.
His boots were brown though.

Luigiv

Chet Rippo said:
Hmm, looking closely at this image you can see that Link already has a lot of golden brown shadow around his face. I guess pink was chosen so that his hair would stand out more against his skin.

Salsa

Chet Rippo said:
WYHYD.jpg
?

Idk man, i always refused to believe that was his hair as well

He has the Pokemon "white hat that looks like hair" syndrome

BRUNO_avatar.png

I love LTTP Link's sprite though, wouldnt touch it

Eusis

Chet Rippo said:
http://i.imgur.com/WYHYD.jpg ?

His boots were brown though.
Well clearly it was pink hair and brown boots, or brown hair and pink boots. And pink boots are even harder to take seriously.

MisterHero

Jive Turkey said:
Truly, truly outrageous.

EDIT: I always figured it had something to do with making it easier to tell what was what within the sprite. Similar to the way Mario got his moustache.
lol

Yeah I think so. His face is also similar to the color his hair should be.

According to the LttP Wiki they used graphics compression (by limiting the color palettes) to make room for the two worlds

Maybe that it explains it, maybe not

Eusis

Actually, for a more serious answer I do imagine it's a combination of system limitations and habits formed from NES development where colors were limited to, what, 64 on screen? And 8 per character? Undoubtedly most designers were used to going "screw the official art" and just making up whatever for the games themselves, that only seemed to actually go away for the most part with the 32-bit generation. Just look at each of the mainline Final Fantasy games, Cecil's hair is less pretty and more Doc Brown outside of the menus, Butz/Bartz has brown hair and dresses like a normal person, and Terra has green hair rather than being blonde while the Magitek Armor is more generic looking rather than resembling a robot dinosaur you pilot.

Medalion

Banned
Are you insinuating anything because Link can't get a girl, wears short shorts, has Pink hair, and has a Fairy he's different?

Top Bottom