• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have a new Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance trailer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
icCsneYus8AoI.gif

Zaventem

I think we'll probably see that insane mode or w/e state as an always on unlockable like super dante.And quick edit i hope we see as much weapon variety as bayonetta.I mean i don't think anything can top Rodin's secret weapon but i'm still wishing a good amount of choices.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's up with his lower jaw?

It's robotic. From memory, the only organic parts of Raiden (as per MGS4) are his head, sans the lower jaw, and spine.

antitrop

It's robotic. From memory, the only organic parts of Raiden (as per MGS4) are his head, sans the lower jaw, and spine.
Oh, I never played MGS4. I'm going to be playing MGR completely blind on story, not that I care, as I previously stated little interest in watching the cutscenes or caring about the story in the first place.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
O9Oa5.png

I guess my problem with it is that, like, he already got over all of his issues in MGS2/4. And now he's been reset. Again. It feels like watching Snake go from experienced badass in MGS2 back to be a doddering tool in 4. Nobody can progress past their archetype in the MGS universe; it's just reset button, all day, everyday.

I really should stop caring about the character development/narrative integrity of this series so much.
I stopped after Portable Ops when it urinated all over Major Zero, The Boss, and started urinating on Big Boss.

Tookay

I stopped after Portable Ops when it urinated all over Major Zero, The Boss, and started urinating on Big Boss.

Y'know, if I was being honest, I probably should have just walked away after a previously cool villain started getting manipulated by his grafted hand.

But I didn't.

Damn you Kojima.

Why is it that MGR threads seem to bring out all the people that actually don't understand how silly MGS is? It's Japanese GI Joe. It's not serious. it's not grounded. It never has been.

Embrace it, because that is what makes MG so awesome.

This is such a bullshit argument. The first MGS on Playstation was very grounded. Yes it did have some comic booky elements but it wasn't any crazier than say the first Iron Man movie or The Dark Knight rises. After the first game it started progressing into really weird over the top anime stuff and with Revengeance it has become pure asian sci-fi fantasy and doesn't take place in any semblance of the real world. It is unrecognizable from the universe of the original game (or even MGS 3 and peace walker).

Spira

Banned
I can't help but feel that dmc would have been better handled by platinum games. I means seeing what they did with revengeance is unreal(no pun there). Imagine old Dante kicking ass with this combat that runs fluid and doesn't look janky.

Ohh well all hail Raiden the true feel of 60fps.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Y'know, if I was being honest, I probably should have just walked away after a previously cool villain started getting manipulated by his grafted hand.

But I didn't.

Damn you Kojima.
lol yeah, the magic hand that's been retconned like 3 times. MGS2 did piss me off a little at the time. But if I had bailed on the franchise after 2 I'd have missed out on my favorite game ever in 3.

This is such a bullshit argument. The first MGS on Playstation was very grounded. Yes it did have some comic booky elements but it wasn't any crazier than say the first Iron Man movie or The Dark Knight rises. After the first game it started progressing into really weird over the top anime stuff and with Revengeance it has become pure asian sci-fi fantasy and doesn't take place in any semblance of the real world. It is unrecognizable from the universe of the original game (or even MGS 3 and peace walker).

Rising just matches the main character. It really doesn't make sense for the world around Raiden to be grounded when he's so over the top. That's why I think that Platinum and KojiPro have attempted to distance it from the core series. It doesn't seem like we'll see many returning faces in the game, and Snake is already confirmed to be absent. They want people to view it on its own.

And I really don't think that MG was ever that great. It's a series about a clone that fights giant robots and supernatural enemies.

cluderi

Watched it twice now and it makes as much sense to me as a Singham fight scene (but I'm probably one of those 98 percenters)

If they make Raiden ride a horse under a truck I'll pre-order.

Spaiz.gif

EatChildren

Oh, I never played MGS4. I'm going to be playing MGR completely blind on story, not that I care, as I previously stated little interest in watching the cutscenes or caring about the story in the first place.

For what it's worth, I didn't spoil anything. MGS4 kinda just throws the whole mostly android thing at you with a thin back story, and Rising was supposed to fill that gap properly.

Endo Punk

Gameplay looks stellar and it does seem Raiden is losing a screw or two as story progresses. Cannot wait for the demo next week. Though I can't be sure I love the feel of the gameplay, Raiden's attacks feel great when clashing againt metal and bone. Sound effects are superb.

That voice acting is so over the top! Story will be all kinds of weird and crazy, I love it! The gameplay, like the former trailers showed, seems really cool and amazing. Can't wait to try the demo.

It would be cool if Raiden became what he once was, a crazed killer and a deranged psychopath.

jg4xchamp

Game looks better everytime. I remember when I was worried that it looked like a really janky Bayonetta.

Is Raiden going to have other weapons? Because in this genre having a good group of different weapons helps the battle system a lot.

Ah, thanks. That explains it.

Oh, and while everybody's here, why don't you all vote on the |OT| title? Here are the ideas me and my collaborator have come up with so far:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged in Platinum

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Real Fruit Ninja

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| I Am A Tool (Of Justice)

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| Cut At Will. Cut What You Will.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| So Canon It Hurts
These will do.

Endo Punk

Game looks better everytime. I remember when I was worried that it looked like a really janky Bayonetta.

Is Raiden going to have other weapons? Because in this genre having a good group of different weapons helps the battle system a lot.

The E3 trailer last year saw Raiden using a staff like weapon with a blade on each end, the same one Mistrel has. So each Boss fight may well yield a new weapon if that's the case.

Raiden's shit is fucked up so he has to shoot/slice everyone.

The story looks retarded beyond belief and the cutscenes definitely have that uniquely cheesy Platinum style to them, but the gameplay looks so amazing.

This will fill the void left by the true DMC series.

dan2026

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| Colonel...we've managed to avoid drowning!

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| Not Nerd, Node!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yeah, downloaded it again and same result. Nothing seems to accept that video, be it mpc, vlc, ffmpeg or mp4box. I've contacted the PR, we'll see...

Not everything has to be super serious guys.

The fact that they are going crazy with this is awesome.

Besides this is a game about a CYBORG NINJA. If they took it completely serious it would be just as silly

We also don't have context for Raiden losing his shit

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not sure if people are really understanding that there is a massive portion of Raiden's life and personality that were never depicted in the series; his tenure as Jack the Ripper. A child soldier that must have lived by becoming a persona that relished in what he did. Solidus was always somewhat surprised by NuJack and what all the therapy and whatever had managed to stitch together as a decent normal guy rather than the psychopathic killer he used as a tool in many a war.

This game obviously just has that persona resurfacing, with the old trope "become a monster to kill the other monsters".

MechaX

Is this before or after the skinny psychic bondage man tries to have your ally sexually assault you for shits and giggles? Or maybe around the time an inuit juggernaut wielding a Gatling gun can somehow make his raven face tattoo become an actual raven?

The only Metal Gear game that was grounded in any semblance of reality was the very first one. The series started its descent into the stupid as early as Metal Gear 2 where Snake had to avoid poisonous hamsters, fight an 80 year old man trying to strangle him by using remote controlled missile launchers, and fight NASA Ninjas.

Slime

Banned
At first I was embarrassed, but then I started to laugh.

Game looks pretty fun. Everything else looks like the corniest animu I'd never be caught dead watching, but at least they're not trying to hide it.

Persona86

Banned
It is unrecognizable from the universe of the original game (or even MGS 3 and peace walker).

You could say the same thing about our future too, I'm pretty sure 50 years from now will seem like another world.

I know MGR is only a little in the future thou, it's easier to not compare the games, ignore the Metal Gear name and just enjoy it. That's why I enjoyed Bayonetta so much, I went in with an open mind and it was amazing.

P.S I have a feeling the story, however absurd will grow on us.

Is this before or after the skinny psychic bondage man tries to have your ally sexually assault you for shits and giggles? Or maybe around the time an inuit juggernaut wielding a Gatling gun can somehow make his raven face tattoo become an actual raven?

The only Metal Gear game that was grounded in any semblance of reality was the very first one. The series started its descent into the stupid as early as Metal Gear 2 where Snake had to avoid poisonous hamsters, fight an 80 year old man trying to strangle him by using remote controlled missile launchers, and fight NASA Ninjas.

Don't forget! Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake has a section where you hatch an owl egg and make the owl hoot, and a guard hears that and goes "OH IT MUST BE NIGHT TIME" and changes his shift IN BROAD DAYLIGHT so you can infiltrate the facility.

I feel like, moreso than Peace Walker or even MGS4, Rising will be the line-in-the-sand game that tears down the perception of the entire series as it forces us to confront what the beast has become. Some fans will continue to revere Kojima as a Gaming God and avoid this game like the plague, and some fans will just let the crazy wash over them as they've always done and play. And the rest will line up for the midnight launch in cardboard boxes while wearing white wigs and chanting LA-LI-LU-LE-LO.

I thought they pieced him back together at he end of MGS4?

He had visible scars from each part they stuck back together, so who knows if that body was really his that they kept in a fridge, or was just parts they grew? This is Metal Gear World where they could reconstruct
Big Boss by using the imperfect clone bodies of two of his clone sons as Lego pieces to put him back together

Edit: Not related, but holy crap this is the second time that my post was at the bottom of a thread page. This is NOT a skill that I want to cultivate.

haikira

It is unrecognizable from the universe of the original game (or even MGS 3 and peace walker).

Well it's featuring a country, not yet seen in the Metal Gear Solid series and it's post SoP. Inhabited urban areas, have also been rarely shown in the series, outside of MGS4 Act 3 which was still very bare.

Though i'm probably over thinking things. Just the fact that it's a different developer and that Kojima is probably little more than a consultant on it, would explain a lot.

Top Bottom