• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We May Be Destined For PS5 Pro, Xbox Series X-2 In 2023, 2024

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Score one for PC. If I'm gonna spend $1000 then another $1000...might as well just upgrade the pc. I hope this is not true.

ZywyPL

Banned
I mean, I would not mind PS5 Pro in 2023 and Xbox Series X-2 in 2024. But I would prefer not to have mid-gen upgrade consoles, and just have next, next gen (10th gen) consoles (PS6 X-????) in late 2026, in stead of mid-gens in 2023/2024 and next,next gen in late 2027. I'm fine with 6 year console cycles. Long enough.

I absolutely wouldn't mind a stronger, more expensive hardware if it meant a minimum of 60FPS in every single title, even from day 1 in this holiday season, but if it would be yet another 30FPS garbage like current-gen refresh models then I don't see a point, many people spend 800-100$ on this generation only to play games with crappy framerate/controls, so why not make something that's let's say 600-700$ but actually good from the get-go? Or make two SKUs, cheaper one for people who are short on money and a more powerful model.

The PS5 Pro is definitely happening down the line, it's just easy money and allows them to have a more premium product at a higher price point. The PS4 Pro already proved that this is viable.

Longer gens are much better for devs and less risky to Sony.

Define "easy money" - spending billions on R&D only to sell the final product a productions costs/a loss is IMO the quite opposite of "easy money"...

hemo memo

Gold Member
No. We will not have a mid-gen refresh. No need for it. Also it’s a contributor so he/she has as much insight as an opinion thread on GAF.

anothertech

People thought Xbox was going to be 8tf lololol

Its so funny, the 'its unneeded ' argument. By 2023/24 we'll be competing with gtx/gtr 3080ti and 4080ti's

How is progression ever 'unneeded

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

I mean, I would not mind PS5 Pro in 2023 and Xbox Series X-2 in 2024. But I would prefer not to have mid-gen upgrade consoles, and just have next, next gen (10th gen) consoles (PS6 X-????) in late 2026, in stead of mid-gens in 2023/2024 and next,next gen in late 2027. I'm fine with 6 year console cycles. Long enough.
I can definitely see a multi GPU approach on a PS5 PRO. It's all well set up for it....Double the CU's via a GPU Chiplet design and voila, 72 CU's on a PS5-PRO.

Looking at it closer, the differences between the PS5 and the Series X is not as large as the PS4 vs XBONE in 2013, it's much less, with PS5 having the uptick in more areas, whilst Series X has the uptick in TFLOP count. By that I mean; (SSD, CPU because of PS5's lower OS footprint and more dedicated hardware for sound, 16GB ram that is not divided into slower chunks and other custom architecture). The difference at runtime will be even smaller than than the 15% TFLOP divide and PS5 will excel in many areas due to it's higher frequency clocks and other plusses in many games......I think the reason Sony pushed PRO was to push and usher in a higher rez console, a pre-cursor to this gen, the 4K gen and I think they accomplished that. Pretty much all PS5 games shown so fare are 4K native and that's inclusive of raytracing. GT7 is running a native 4K 60fps and it already has RT implemented, so at runtime, it would seem the PS5 is a accomplishing the accelerated results that Cerny alluded to in his narrow and fast design or a more efficient design.

A PS5 PRO will push 8k Native on some titles, but I think PS5 is powerful enough to push 8k native on indies and AA titles and even 8K CB on some AAA games.....It's fast enough and custom enough to last the entire gen if I'm being frank.....Just compare what we got last gen relative to CPU and GPU and what we are getting now. Picture how awesome Tsushima and LOU2 looked on this ancient mobile hardware and think of the tech they now have in PS5, it's the devs that are going to show the hardware. Cerny just made it even easier for PlayStation Studios by engineering the most customized and the least bottlenecked system we have seen since console hardware designs began...

I can definitely see a multi GPU approach on a PS5 PRO. It's all well set up for it....Double the CU's via a GPU Chiplet design and voila, 72 CU's on a PS5-PRO.

Looking at it closer, the differences between the PS5 and the Series X is not as large as the PS4 vs XBONE in 2013, it's much less, with PS5 having the uptick in more areas, whilst Series X has the uptick in TFLOP count. By that I mean; (SSD, CPU because of PS5's lower OS footprint and more dedicated hardware for sound, 16GB ram that is not divided into slower chunks and other custom architecture). The difference at runtime will be even smaller than than the 15% TFLOP divide and PS5 will excel in many areas due to it's higher frequency clocks and other plusses in many games......I think the reason Sony pushed PRO was to push and usher in a higher rez console, a pre-cursor to this gen, the 4K gen and I think they accomplished that.
Pretty much all PS5 games shown so fare are 4K native and that's inclusive of raytracing. GT7 is running a native 4K 60fps and it already has RT implemented, so at runtime, it would seem the PS5 is a accomplishing the accelerated results that Cerny alluded to in his narrow and fast design or a more efficient design.

A PS5 PRO will push 8k Native on some titles, but I think PS5 is powerful enough to push 8k native on indies and AA titles and even 8K CB on some AAA games.....It's fast enough and custom enough to last the entire gen if I'm being frank.....Just compare what we got last gen relative to CPU and GPU and what we are getting now. Picture how awesome Tsushima and LOU2 looked on this ancient mobile hardware and think of the tech they now have in PS5, it's the devs that are going to show the hardware. Cerny just made it even easier for PlayStation Studios by engineering the most customized and the least bottlenecked system we have seen since console hardware designs began...

I agree with you on all of these things.

mcz117chief

And that's why I stopped buying consoles at launch.
Yes, sir. Ever since these "pro" shenanigans started it became clear that buying console on launch is just idiotic. They are usually very buggy (RROD) and/or get replaced by superior versions fairly quickly (slim, elite, pro etc.). I love how people here are triggere but this yet continuously rage at Nintendo for not releasing Switch Pro, hypocrisy of the highest order.

Three

The PS5 Pro is definitely happening down the line, it's just easy money and allows them to have a more premium product at a higher price point. The PS4 Pro already proved that this is viable.

Longer gens are much better for devs and less risky to Sony.
The PS4 pro was because of 4k HDR TVs and PSVR. There will only be a PS5 pro if there is a need for it. It wasn't for massive profit. They barely sell any compared to the slim.

Freeman

Banned
The PS4 pro was because of 4k HDR TVs and PSVR. There will only be a PS5 pro if there is a need for it. It wasn't for massive profit. They barely sell any compared to the slim.
It sells well and not so far behind the regular PS4 to say it doesn't make sense, you can see it on Media Create reports. What is the drawback for Sony? It extends their gen and from the devs side it barely adds any extra work. It's just an option to pay a bit more to get something a bit better.

Last edited:

Three

It sells really well look at the weekly break down in Japan, what is the drawback for Sony? It extends their gen and from the devs side it barely adds any extra work.
Because they barely make any money on the actual consoles. It's a risk splitting your SKUs and it costs more. There isn't really a downside but I doubt that sales of the base consoles would be so low in 2-3 years that it would warrant a Pro unless there is a demand for it, for example if 8k TVs take off.

Freeman

Banned
Because they barely make any money on the actual consoles. It's a risk splitting your SKUs and it costs more. There isn't really a downside but I doubt that sales of the base consoles would be so low in 2-3 years that it would warrant a Pro unless there is a demand for it, for example if 8k TVs take off.
The point is not to make money on the hardware, same as with the regular PS4. The point is too look a little better in comparison to PC, keep enthusiasts from moving to another system. (PC or Xbox One X).

It's like saying that the 2080rtx serves no purpose since the 2060rtx already exists. No, if there is a market for it (and we know there is), why not take advantage of it? I doubt Sony is losing money on the PS4 Pro since it still has a $399 MSRP.

PS5 Pro makes extra sense if Lockhart is really a thing and if MS keeps releasing more consoles as the name Series sugests.

edit: I forgot about PSVR2, that could make good use of the extra power.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

We don't even have price or release dates for PS5 & XB SX...

reinking

Gold Member
I fully expect a PS5/XBSX slim models. Not sure if that will come with a bump in performance or not.

Soodanim

The problem is that even the PS4 Pro had problems at launch, so if history repeats itself we're waiting for what - PS5 Pro revision 2? I'll buy in 2024 then.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you spend $2000 on a PC now it's probably still getting beat by a 2023 PS5 Pro.
I wouldn't be spending $2000 to upgrade my pc. But I would be spending probably $1000 dollars this fall for PS5 and XSX, and then another $1000 for the mid gen refresh systems. I'm good on that. I'd prefer the functionality that a pc would provide over consoles sooner and just choose the better mid gen refresh system. By that time we should see a clear indicator of which platform offers what I'm looking for in a console.

If you spend $2000 on a PC now it's probably still getting beat by a 2023 PS5 Pro.

Debatable. I'd say my current rig outpaces the consoles on most games I play that I've tried on both, a definite one being Destiny 2 which I play somewhere around 120FPS most the time but on console is 30FPS. My rig probably had close to 2 grand put into it at this point but that's since 2013. With this next gen it's harder to tell how things will go because of new technologies like the SSDs but if I spent say... 1,200 right now and left 800 for upgrades down the road I could MAYBE expect to be outpacing these systems come 2023 say, it worked out for this prior generation but again figuring out if it would again is sort of a toss up. That said, I'm not in the mood for that level of investment right now and will be going PS5 at launch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I spent $3400 on a PC last year, and it'll get beaten by base PS5. Efficiency is something some people can't understand, especially with stupid PC architecture that doing dual NVMe m.2 or SLi/Crossfire do cannibalize from main GPU power budget, that's why you end up with laughable gains after pouring too much money. PC gamers play with hardware more than they play real games, that's why they only wait for extreme sales and never buy games at full prices.

Note: I'm extremely happy with what it's meant to do, although I never play games on it at all, but it's a high end gaming PC.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
I wouldn't be spending $2000 to upgrade my pc. But I would be spending probably $1000 dollars this fall for PS5 and XSX, and then another $1000 for the mid gen refresh systems. I'm good on that. I'd prefer the functionality that a pc would provide over consoles sooner and just choose the better mid gen refresh system. By that time we should see a clear indicator of which platform offers what I'm looking for in a console.
Why do you need both system if you already have a PC? Why do you need to upgrade both of them?

I spent $4300 on a PC last year, and it'll get beaten by base PS5. Efficiency is something some people can't understand, especially with stupid PC architecture that doing dual NVMe m.2 or SLi/Crossfire do cannibalize from main GPU power budget, that's why you end up with laughable gains after pouring too much money. PC gamers play with hardware more than they play real games, that's why they only wait for extreme sales and never buy games at full prices.
On PC it's much better to spend your money over time than making crazy builds. That was more evident in the past but it is still true now.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My launch model got me from Resogun to Ghost of Tsushima. I am still using a 970 in my PC. I might just upgrade my PC GPU a couple years after getting the PS5. I wish I would have won a PS4Pro because I’d much rather have games. All that money I could have spent on XBOX or a Pro went to games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why do you need both system if you already have a PC? Why do you need to upgrade both of them?

On PC it's much better to spend your money over time than making crazy builds. That was more evident in the past but it is still true now.

If it was meant for gaming I would be in denial like many suspects around the forums. It paid more than its pricetag within 4-5 months instead of paying $3210 (1200 OMR) for camera man + montage I bought a drone, built a pc, an osmo pocket and was good to go.

Sorry it was $3400 not $4300, sorry for the typo.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My launch model got me from Resogun to Ghost of Tsushima. I am still using a 970 in my PC. I might just upgrade my PC GPU a couple years after getting the PS5. I wish I would have won a PS4Pro because I’d much rather have games. All that money I could have spent on XBOX or a Pro went to games.

Want my advice? Upgrade after PCIe 5.0 motherboards.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I wouldn't need to upgrade both of them. I said I would forego the launch of these consoles this fall and upgrade my pc. Then when the mid gen consoles come out, I would pick the better of the two.

Want my advice? Upgrade after PCIe 5.0 motherboards.

They are already talking about 5.0? Why and what's are the benefits to it?'

Edit: Nvm I looked it up. Upgrading PC is a perpetual waiting game. I'm not waiting that long.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Edit: Nvm I looked it up. Upgrading PC is a perpetual waiting game. I'm not waiting that long

It's when you can genuinely beat PS5 bandwidth. It has double the bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 and SSD's should catch up with PS5's tech by then in terms of channel to module ratio (1:1) and priority levels (6 or more instead of 2 on high end NVMe m.2 SSD's).

Last edited:

the_master

Yes, sir. Ever since these "pro" shenanigans started it became clear that buying console on launch is just idiotic. They are usually very buggy (RROD) and/or get replaced by superior versions fairly quickly (slim, elite, pro etc.). I love how people here are triggere but this yet continuously rage at Nintendo for not releasing Switch Pro, hypocrisy of the highest order.
The same argument can be done in the other way.
Why buy a mid gen refresh instead of waiting for the next gen?
Actually, buying at launch allows you to play the latest games from day one

Freeman

Banned
I wouldn't need to upgrade both of them. I said I would forego the launch of these consoles this fall and upgrade my pc. Then when the mid gen consoles come out, I would pick the better of the two.

Edit: Nvm I looked it up. Upgrading PC is a perpetual waiting game. I'm not waiting that long.
Well you said "If I'm gonna spend $1000 then another $1000...might as well just upgrade the pc", that confused me.

Because there is no need for it. Last time they were pushing for higher resolutions and HDR.

What would be the purpose of a mid-gen refresh this time? They’re fine with 30fps and unless they go for a high-end NVIDIA card in 2024, they're not doing 4K/60 either.
I spent $3400 on a PC last year, and it'll get beaten by base PS5. Efficiency is something some people can't understand, especially with stupid PC architecture that doing dual NVMe m.2 or SLi/Crossfire do cannibalize from main GPU power budget, that's why you end up with laughable gains after pouring too much money. PC gamers play with hardware more than they play real games, that's why they only wait for extreme sales and never buy games at full prices.

Note: I'm extremely happy with what's it's meant to do, although I never play games on it at all, but it's a high end gaming PC.
How did you spend $3400 on a PC and got a GPU weaker than a 2070/S lol?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How did you spend $3400 on a PC and got a GPU weaker than a 2070/S lol?

Got a Radeon VII with 16GB HBM2, 1TB/s bandwidth for productivity, along with Ryzen 7 2700x, Samsung 1TB 970 Pro 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD, etc. Only game on PC that I might play on my PC is Star Citizens.

Got a Radeon VII with 16GB HBM2, 1TB/s bandwidth for productivity, along with Ryzen 7 2700x, Samsung 1TB 970 Pro 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 SSD, etc. Only game on PC that I might play on my PC is Star Citizens.
That costs nowhere near $3400 unless you live in a country with insane prices.

mcz117chief

The same argument can be done in the other way.
Why buy a mid gen refresh instead of waiting for the next gen?
Actually, buying at launch allows you to play the latest games from day one
Yeah, I get that. However, not all games from a certain gen get ported to the next so if you want to have access to all the games you will most likely have to get the console at some point.

the_master

Yeah, I get that. However, not all games from a certain gen get ported to the next so if you want to have access to all the games you will most likely have to get the console at some point.
Yes, evwry console at launch :) then you can play every game. And if you really play a lot and have the hardware to use the mid gen upgrade, then go for it :)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That costs nowhere near $3400 unless you live in a country with insane prices.

You don't buy these and throw them on the carpet, got another 2TB SATA3 SSD, 32GB 3200Mhz RAM, 6 fans, motherboard, a case, a premium 850watts power supply. Add shipping to my country and Windows 10 Pro.

Last edited:
You don't buy these and throw them on the carpet, got another 2TB SATA3 SSD, 32GB 3200Mhz RAM, 6 fans, motherboard, a case, a premium 850watts power supply. Add shipping to my country and Windows 10 Pro.
Then what point were you trying to make when a PC clearly not geared towards gaming costs more than a PS5? That's a productivity machine. Has nothing to do with efficiency.

I could build a PC that destroys this one's gaming performance for half the cost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom