• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We May Be Destined For PS5 Pro, Xbox Series X-2 In 2023, 2024

bender

What time is it?
I guess it's important to look at why we had mid-generation refreshes this time around.

-For Sony it was a combination of of PSVR and 4K adoption.
-For Microsoft it was trying to correct the blunders of the launch XBox One which often failed to reach 1080P.

As others have said in this thread, maybe 8K adoption will take off and force the need for another mid-generation refresh but I kind of doubt it. Those sets are still expensive and content is really slim. COVID is going to make the world economy wonky through 2021 which is going to make those types of luxury items less attractive.

Ray Tracing is being thrown around but we are at least another generation, if not two, from full implementation being viable and affordable in a console priced box.

If I had to guess, I'd so we don't see Pro models this time around. I'd think Sony is more likely than Microsoft, as they've delivered the "under-powered" platform this time around.

xPikYx

Nowadays proposing a 500$ console is way different from 2 generations ago where PC hardware had a lower selling point for high end GPUs, to keep up console makers must renovate their product every 3/4 years in my opinion otherwise to have a 6/7 years lifecycle you must sell hardware much more expensive to keep up, around 800$

93xfan

Banned
PS5 Pro is happening, Xbox need to survive to even think about mid gen refreshes to begin with. Sony has a selling point for 8K TV's, so it'll push for 36+36 chiplet that matches AMD's roadmap. Leaked gameplay of 8K@120fps, HDR, Raytraced supports that as well.

Why add an inferior tech?

so you think Sony will release a Pro system that targets 8k?

That’d be neat. I miss the PS1 style pop in and we’d be sure to get that back at that resolution. it would also be smart for them to target all those 8k elitist console gamers Playing on their 80” TVs. That’s a market you just can’t ignore.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Then what point were you trying to make when a PC clearly not geared towards gaming costs more than a PS5? That's a productivity machine. Has nothing to do with efficiency.

I could build a PC that destroys this one's gaming performance for half the cost.

Tell me in details all the parts, many said so before, and go back to mid 2019 pricing. Please don't bring potato HDD.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
so you think Sony will release a Pro system that targets 8k?

That’d be neat. I miss the PS1 style pop in and we’d be sure to get that back at that resolution. it would also be smart for them to target all those 8k elitist console gamers Playing on their 80” TVs. That’s a market you just can’t ignore.

More like checkerboard (reconstructed) 8K 80-95% of the games, and 10-5% native 8K. They need that to sell their 4K/8K TV's. They just rebranded XH90 as "Ready for PS5" TV:

So expect the 4K@30fps to be 4K@60fps, the 4K@60fps to be 4K@120fps. They could go for 4K@240fps = 8K@60fps or increase IQ, depending on the newer HDMI probably supporting 8K@120Hz (not necessarily 8K@120fps). Also it has its perks for PSVR2, you need 4K@240Hz to make 4K@120Hz for each eye.

Tell me in details all the parts, many said so before, and go back to mid 2019 pricing. Please don't bring potato HDD.

N0j4hxh.png

The MSI Sea Hawk is out of stock but was the closest in price to the EVGA Super XC Ultra Gaming.

I also could have taken a slightly less expensive motherboard and get it down to around $1800. Point is, $3400 geared towards gaming that was built last year will destroy the next-gen consoles. When the new GPU are out, a 3060 will likely outdo the PS5's GPU or be close to it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
N0j4hxh.png

The MSI Sea Hawk is out of stock but was the closest in price to the EVGA Super XC Ultra Gaming.

I also could have taken a slightly less expensive motherboard and get it down to around $1800. Point is, $3400 geared towards gaming that was built last year will destroy the next-gen consoles. When the new GPU are out, a 3060 will likely outdo the PS5's GPU or be close to it.

Where is windows 10? And you gonna have only 1TB? Really? And no, it'll just fall short if asset streaming is as demanding as PS5, or you'll scale down the quality. You should really pay more attention to Tim Sweeney and other veterans in game developers to understand what's the deal with PS5. You might destroy XSX though.

Where is windows 10? And you gonna have only 1TB? Really? And no, it'll just fall short if asset streaming is as demanding as PS5, or you'll scale down the quality. You should really pay more attention to Tim Sweeney and other veterans in game developers to understand what's the deal with PS5. You might destroy XSX though.
Dude, I said gaming performance. Having 3TB of storage won't make your games perform better. 3TB is damn near 4x what the PS5 has so how the fuck is it comparable?

Who the fuck doesn't have Windows 10 in this day and age? Transfer your license from whatever old build you got to the new one.

And no, it'll just fall short if asset streaming is as demanding as PS5, or you'll scale down the quality
Ljf.gif

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dude, I said gaming performance. Having 3TB of storage won't make your games perform better. 3TB is damn near 4x what the PS5 has so how the fuck is it comparable?

Who the fuck doesn't have Windows 10 in this day and age? Transfer your license from whatever old build you got to the new one.

Ljf.gif

Well, I wish you good luck.

Ok then, I don't wish you good luck if that offends you. Not interested in derailing the thread and you can either stick with your own beliefs or investigate further on your own.
No need to further investigate. We'll have a good laugh when the consoles come out and the SSD does nowhere near what the fanboys think it will. Not that Mark Cerny ever even implied it was some kind of super-duper machine that would boost gaming visuals to a new level.

He said the merits of the SSD and it's a nice piece of tech. Fanboys completely misconstrued his statements and will be sorely disappointed when it doesn't outperform a competent gaming PC or even the XSX.

Rbk_3

Who the hell pays full retail price for Windows 10 ?

Rbk_3

Am I supposed to pirate one? That's not for me.

Firstly, you can download it free from Microsoft's website. All you'll have is a small watermark on the desktop.

Or you can purchase keys for like $5 or if you have any old Windows machine your licence will work from that.

Alternatively, you can put a super fast SSD in and it will install a full retail copy of Windows for free and make your PC 8x more powerful.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The 5700 and 5700 XT released at $349 and $399, respectively. Current comps on a used Radeon VII GPU on Ebay are $650-700. You could sell that GPU and buy a "RX 6700" for $349 that will match/beat PS5 and shares features Mark Cerny was discussing in Road to PS5, or go with the full 40CU card, the "RX 6700 XT" for $399, have $200-300 left over, and beat the PS5 by an even bigger margin.

The intelligent thing to do would be to sell the Radeon VII for $650-700 and buy Big Navi, a full-featured RDNA 2 card with a die size twice that of the PS5. But this is about personal bias, not bang-for-buck comparison of gaming platforms.

Rikkori

Even the best estimates for 8K TV adoption puts them at pitiful numbers, and they keep getting revised down. If there's going to be a console refresh then it's not because of irrelevant 8K TVs.

The real reason this won't happen is because the costs would be too high. The GPU roadmap shows nothing happening for some time and those launches also keep getting longer in between because of how hard it is to ship something with meaningful performance increases. The main reasons it made sense for X1/PS4 is because of how pitiable those gpus were + 4K tv mass adoption. That's simply not the case today.

cormack12

Gold Member
Don't see it really. With both sets of storage delivery and SSD, doubling the RAM wont have as dramatic an impact. Storage cant go anywhere except capacity which is just a bump, and I find it unlikely they will need extra GPU within five years.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Firstly, you can download it free from Microsoft's website. All you'll have is a small watermark on the desktop.

Or you can purchase keys for like $5 or if you have any old Windows machine your licence will work from that.

Alternatively, you can put a super fast SSD in and it will install a full retail copy of Windows for free and make your PC 8x more powerful.

I'm not sure about what you're talking about here, but previous PC was 2010 model with windows 7 home, but googled some and seems there is a way of getting it cheap outside the official website, not sure how legit. Thanks for the input.

Anyway, 5-7 years from now it might mark this current desktop as my last desktop since 1996, as iPad Pro 2020 is already pretty solid at 4K video editing, photo editing, and a lot more, and it should get even better by then with other competitors like Huawei and Samsung tablets.

I'm not sure about what you're talking about here, but previous PC was 2010 model with windows 7 home, but googled some and seems there is a way of getting it cheap outside the official website, not sure how legit. Thanks for the input.

Anyway, 5-7 years from now it might mark this current desktop as my last desktop since 1996, as iPad Pro 2020 is already pretty solid at 4K video editing, photo editing, and a lot more, and it should get even better by then with other competitors like Huawei and Samsung tablets.
Yeah, so how good will the PS5 be at video and photo editing? You built a machine clearly geared towards productivity then started comparing it to a gaming console.

What's next? We'll compare Quadro and Tesla to gaming-oriented GPU's and start saying they aren't good?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The 5700 and 5700 XT released at $349 and $399, respectively. Current comps on a used Radeon VII GPU on Ebay are $650-700. You could sell that GPU and buy a "RX 6700" for $349 that will match/beat PS5 and shares features Mark Cerny was discussing in Road to PS5, or go with the full 40CU card, the "RX 6700 XT" for $399, have $200-300 left over, and beat the PS5 by an even bigger margin.

The intelligent thing to do would be to sell the Radeon VII for $650-700 and buy Big Navi, a full-featured RDNA 2 card with a die size twice that of the PS5. But this is about personal bias, not bang-for-buck comparison of gaming platforms.

Bang for the buck isn't always the case with me, if I'm upgrading I'm throwing nearly all the PC parts and building a new one from the ground up with Big Navi. Radeon VII has HBM2 with 16GB VRAM at 1TB/s bandwidth, it's massive for GPU-bound programs like DaVinci Resolve, it never lags at even 4K@1200fps as tested, or even much more! And GDDR6 doesn't have the longevity and reliability of HBM2/HBM2E. I was going for a workstation GPU, but Radeon VII seemed like a great hybrid one. If PC gaming was my focus I would simply buy 2080Ti not 2080.

Big Navi upgrade still seems good with 24GB VRAM, 2TB/s bandwidth HBM2E, it'll digest raw videos like nothing if needed or 8K plus raytracing.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, so how good will the PS5 be at video and photo editing? You built a machine clearly geared towards productivity then started comparing it to a gaming console.

What's next? We'll compare Quadro and Tesla to gaming-oriented GPU's and start saying they aren't good?

You have difficulties comprehending what I just wrote? Well, to me it's more of a "gaming-ready", secondary gaming rig and productivity first. The only game that looks interesting so far outside the PS ecosystem is Star Citizen. Wanted Halo Infinite after that misleading E3 trailer and got Craig instead with gameplay and sounds that are pretty childish, never played a Halo before but thought they were serious like Mass Effect.

Last edited:
You have difficulties comprehending what I just wrote? Well, to me it's more of a "gaming-ready", secondary gaming rig and productivity first. The only game that looks interesting so far outside the PS ecosystem is Star Citizen. Wanted Halo Infinite after that misleading E3 trailer and got Craig instead with gameplay and sounds that are pretty childish, never played a Halo before but thought they were serious like Mass Effect.
No, hence why I said the comparison was silly to begin with. Your machine is productivity first. The PS5 cannot do ANY sort of productivity. Why compare them?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Bang for the buck isn't always the case with me, if I'm upgrading I'm throwing nearly all the PC parts and building a new one from the ground up with Big Navi. Radeon VII has HBM2 with 16GB VRAM at 1TB/s bandwidth, it's massive for GPU-bound programs like DaVinci Resolve, it never lags at even 4K@1200fps as tested, or even much more! And GDDR6 doesn't have the longevity and reliability of HBM2/HBM2E. I was going for a workstation GPU, but Radeon VII seemed like a great hybrid one. If PC gaming was my focus I would simply buy 2080Ti not 2080.

Big Navi upgrade still seems good with 24GB VRAM, 2TB/s bandwidth HBM2E, it'll digest raw videos like nothing if needed or 8K plus raytracing.
In your case, however, that productivity setup earned you money like a tool. You're processing videos on that thing, so it's not always easy to play during that time, so a console makes sense in that it's not really a "gaming PC" at all.

Big Navi currently has rumors for both GDDR6 and HBM2e. The original rumor from AquariusZi(who pretty much nailed the XSX and PS5), says Big Navi(Navi 21) will ship with GDDR6. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they had another hybrid variant akin to RVII that had HBM2e for productivity.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No, hence why I said the comparison was silly to begin with. Your machine is productivity first. The PS5 cannot do ANY sort of productivity. Why compare them?

I'll stop here so we don't derail the thread any further, and I've explained everything so far so you may go back and read what I exactly said, or ignore it as well. Have a nice day/night.

Bryank75

Banned
The pro PS5 could do a few different things..... smaller (so basically a slim model) more cores, more tflops around 20 or so....
More energy efficient, upgrades to the SSD speed and capacity, more Ram, higher clock cpu and more advanced ray tracing.

Day 1

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The pro PS5 could do a few different things..... smaller (so basically a slim model) more cores, more tflops around 20 or so....
More energy efficient, upgrades to the SSD speed and capacity, more Ram, higher clock cpu and more advanced ray tracing.

Day 1

Could be 5-3nm. Tech should improve as well just like the jump from 1.8TF to 2.1TF on the PS4 Slim.

Rbk_3

You can use these instructions to find your Windows 7 Home key and it will work to activate a copy of Windows 10 Home.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You can use these instructions to find your Windows 7 Home key and it will work to activate a copy of Windows 10 Home.

I did upgrade it to 10 home, but went for Pro in this build, just sounds good. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Not sure if it has any serious benefits over home version, I thought it comes with office preinstalled, but no.:lollipop_steam_nose:

I still believe that tablets/ipads will be extremely powerful going forward, and might not buy/build a new PC. Doesn't mean they'll be irrelevant, but for my kind of uses it won't be worth it.

rather-walk-alone.jpg

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
More like checkerboard (reconstructed) 8K 80-95% of the games, and 10-5% native 8K. They need that to sell their 4K/8K TV's. They just rebranded XH90 as "Ready for PS5" TV:

So expect the 4K@30fps to be 4K@60fps, the 4K@60fps to be 4K@120fps. They could go for 4K@240fps = 8K@60fps or increase IQ, depending on the newer HDMI probably supporting 8K@120Hz (not necessarily 8K@120fps). Also it has its perks for PSVR2, you need 4K@240Hz to make 4K@120Hz for each eye.

Interesting... I thought we were talking native 8K. my mistake.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting... I thought we were talking native 8K. my mistake.

8K is pretty impressive, don't get fooled by those blind people who can't see it ;) I encourage you to see it in a tv shop, it's insanely sharp! When I upgrade to a very capable camera with 8K video, I will quit traditional photography and just use stills, assuming I won't fill 1TB in a week. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I feel Sony will be watching Multiplatform games with an eagle eye to see if their console performs noticeably worse than the Xbox versions. They won’t want every digital foundry article like it was in the 360/PS3 generation where it was always Xbox looks and runs better. If that happens they’ll look to release an upgraded console imo.

Microsoft won’t IMO.The XSX will be enough for 4-5 years, and then they’ll likely release a new one if there’s a big advance in tech.

Bkdk

2023 November definitely seem very likely, the graphics card power will Probably be close to rtx4080.

What for? So we can play at a slightly higher resolution? The Xbox One X and the PS4Pro made sense because the base consoles were already weak in 2013. But these new consoles are beasts.

I’m kind of wondering if they really are “beasts” based on what we’ve seen and these rumors of a mid generation upgrade way before the consoles even release.

Saaleh

Banned
Sure, why not, i will be happy as long they maintain a strong 6-7 years cycle. I want each studio to have a chance to release 2 games.

By that time the rtx 4000 series will be released or close, so we will get a decent upgrade too.

Ps6 should be around Rtx 5000 series

Last edited:
I don't care about 8K. Sure, PS6 will be able to do it, but most games won't go over 4K, no need, with vastly more detailed graphics and far more impressive ray tracing, nobody will care about 8K.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I feel Sony will be watching Multiplatform games with an eagle eye to see if their console performs noticeably worse than the Xbox versions. They won’t want every digital foundry article like it was in the 360/PS3 generation where it was always Xbox looks and runs better. If that happens they’ll look to release an upgraded console imo.

Microsoft won’t IMO.The XSX will be enough for 4-5 years, and then they’ll likely release a new one if there’s a big advance in tech.

I think Sony will follow a tried and true strategy on focusing on more first party games and better and better tooling to get tons of third party support like they did to reverse the fortunes on the Xbox 360 generation. The small percentage advantage in the TFLOPS metric is the smallest between both consoles and one console looks ready a lot sooner than the other.

There is not such a big performance delta between the two consoles and rushing out more and more boxes asking your customers to buy something new just to get the power metric advantage instead of investing on more and better games is not what any PS fans has ever wanted.

I do not think PlayStation be the PlayStation audience have built their fan base and marketing on being the absolute fastest HW ever: strong and competent HW enough and able to release great new games experiences. That was enough projecting mate ;).

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think Sony will follow a tried and true strategy on focusing on more first party games and better and better tooling to get tons of third party support like they did to reverse the fortunes on the Xbox 360 generation. The small percentage advantage in the TFLOPS metric is the smallest between both consoles and one console looks ready a lot sooner than the other.

There is not such a big performance delta between the two consoles and rushing out more and more boxes asking your customers to buy something new just to get the power metric advantage instead of investing on more and better games is not what any PS fans has ever wanted.

I do not think PlayStation be the PlayStation audience have built their fan base and marketing on being the absolute fastest HW ever: strong and competent HW enough and able to release great new games experiences. That was enough projecting mate ;).
They didn’t reverse the fortunes of the 360 generation with first party software and tooling though, they outsold the 360 from day one even though the PS3 lacked good first party software for basically the whole first 2 years. Brand name is key there.

having said that, there’s a reason they went away from exotic hardware after that generation where even though on paper their hardware was supposedly more powerful, in practice it wasn’t. They just went with essentially off the shelf hardware for this generation in a complete u turn from their previous 3 consoles, in no small part due to the perception of games looking and running better on xbox.

20% is not a small power difference, especially when we’re talking about 2TF of power.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the Xbox will outsell it or anything - it absolutely wont. The PS5 will easily outsell the Xbox, no question about it. But I do think Sony will still want their games to look better, as 5-7 years of Multiplatform games looking and performing better on Xbox *will* change some perceptions and could be a bit damaging going in to the later years and/or the next generation.

Try to imagine a console from a new player (or an old player) in the industry that launches in early 2022.
Has 4-5 times the performance of PS5/XSX, a reasonable price ($499), exclusive first party games from newly acquired studios.
Very high production values, leveraging high-end hardware. Kind of like SNK NEO GEO AES in 1990-1991, was far more powerful than the Genesis, TurboGrafx-16 and even the newly just releasing Super Famicom/SNES.

Can you imagine what that fantasy might be like? Having $500 hardware that out-performs $3000 gaming PCs, and is more in line with $15,000 workstations in terms of GPU. CPU, RAM and SSD performance. If taken advantage of for games and VR.

Unfortunately, I the sheer cost to enter the market like SNK did in 1990/1991, are simply a universe away from what it was like 30 years ago,

Top Bottom