• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need a everyone is here for Street Fighter

KAL2006

Banned
Here me out.

As of now Street Fighter V has 40 characters.

Instead of starting from scratch they can reuse the same characters for their next game. And add the missing 32 character (excluding Violent Ken, Oni, Evil Ryu, Juli, Juni) to create a massive roster of 72 characters.

Yes having 72 characters is a immense task but they already got 40 done. They can touch up graphics by making it on latest Unreal build, fix the hair, use more detailed models that were downscaled to SFV, reuse stages but give them a graphics overhaul and add more stages from the history of Street Fighter IP.

Finally mix up the gameplay by making it into a 3 on 3 tag game, you can have unique tag attacks or buffs depending on the the combination of characters you have. Add a ton of modes like World Tour with a long quest full of unique stories, they don't even need to make cutscenes just have dialog boxes like the old Street Fighter games.

Finally fix the netcode and make it next gen exclusive with faster SSD loading you will have a feature rich game with a ton of content where alot of it came from SFV to keep costs low for Capcom to produce the game.

Shin

Banned
Every game or developer rather that re-used assets dealt with some sort of backlash for a good reason.
If people are paying $60+ for a game it's not strange that they feel the need that their purchase is justified and not a copy/paste of what they already paid in a previous entry.
Also Street Fighter tend to use different art style per entry for the most part so the idea you have might not work.
I'm all for quality fighters to have a larger roster, yet it seems to be the genre that's pushing expansions the hardest.

Shin

Banned
Remind me about the backlash for every iteration of Street Fighter 2? Lol
You are correct and perhaps or most likely in-front of that sentence would have been more appropriate.
Though the same can be said about your post and it ending with lol as it makes it sound like you're really immature.
I get what you're saying, but Street Fighter might not be an exception in the present day, hell they even burned Pokemon.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Instead of starting from scratch they can reuse the same characters for their next game. And add the missing 32 character (excluding Violent Ken, Oni, Evil Ryu, Juli, Juni) to create a massive roster of 72 characters.

Yes having 72 characters is a immense task but they already got 40 done. They can touch up graphics by making it on latest Unreal build, fix the hair, use more detailed models that were downscaled to SFV, reuse stages but give them a graphics overhaul and add more stages from the history of Street Fighter IP.
So like, what they did with SF x Tekken?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SF X Tekken had every character?

More like what they did with Tekken Tag if you want to make a comparison, or MK Trilogy, MK Armageddon etc. But add a few cool single player modes like Soul Calibur quest mode, Alpha 3 world tour mode.
Not exactly, but it's the closest comparison you're gonna get that's not over a decade old.

The samey models wasn't the most impressive thing in the world.

VertigoOA

Banned
Roster size has little to do with the quality of the game (and SFV is amazing).

Street Fighter is not smash. The size of the roster is meaningless

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’d be down FoR something like that. It worked well for tekken tag 2 and that is still by far my favorite in the entire series.

not sure if that type of game outside the vs series would work though.

mekes

I care more about removing target combos and having a more liberal combo system like what we had in CVS2. I want guard crush back, super jumps, perhaps a hop. More options to present danger in specific situations that are generally available to the entire roster.

KAL2006

Banned
Not exactly, but it's the closest comparison you're gonna get that's not over a decade old.

The samey models wasn't the most impressive thing in the world.

Yes samey models with some minor tweaks such as improved hair I think people will be satisfied. Also people who explored data in the PC version of Street Fighter found the models have actually higher poly count but was downscaled when running the game. Finally the addition of 4K which consoles versions don't have will also improve the quality of graphics.

It's just a suggestion, as the next gen is the same architecture and Capcom got burnt on Street Fighter in comparison to their other IPs this gen, they can do a ton of cost saving and reuse assets to create a everyone is here Street Fighter marketed game with a world tour mode that focuses on the lore of Street Fighter over a time spanning years. Call it "Street Fighter: Generations".

It's just a suggestion, I think them starting from scratch and just making Street Fighter VI won't make them much money and would be much more costly to produce.

How familiar are you with the actual process of creating video game assets? Because you're severely underestimating how much work all of that would be.

radewagon

Remind me about the backlash for every iteration of Street Fighter 2? Lol

Well, back in the day, it was quite a joke that Capcom wouldn't make a Street Fighter 3 and just kept tweaking 2. Also, both MvC2 and Cap vs. SNK 2 received a fair amount of criticism by reusing older darkstalkers sprites.

That said, I like your idea and, honestly, could put up with a fair amount of jank and balance issues if it means we get SF with a huge roster for one sort of fun "not tournament ready" spectacle of a game.

KAL2006

Banned
How familiar are you with the actual process of creating video game assets? Because you're severely underestimating how much work all of that would be.

Honest answer I'm not familiar at all.

However if the game is running on the same engine I don't see how it's a immense task to resume assets. This has already been done with Tekken Tag 2 and MK Armageddon. Hell this has been done by Capcom on Street Fighter X Tekken, Capcom Vs SNK2 and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 which have pretty large rosters.

It's just a suggestion, I think them starting from scratch and just making Street Fighter VI won't make them much money and would be much more costly to produce.
Do you really think a regular 1v1 Street Fighter sequel with ~16 characters at launch is going to cost more than a game including 40 redesigned and 32 completely new characters, most stages from the franchise's history, a 3v3 tag system and a story mode more elaborate than anything the series has ever seen?

Hell this has been done by Capcom on Street Fighter X Tekken, Capcom Vs SNK2 and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 which have pretty large rosters.
Two of those aren't even 3D games, so the process isn't even remotely comparable. SFxT was also spectacularly ugly, even more so than SF4. To be honest, I think most people would agree that the characters in both SF4 and SF5 are pretty bad looking overall. I really don't want them in another entry.

Can you imagine an Arcsys-style cel-shaded Street Fighter game based on Akiman's art style?

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Do you really think a regular 1v1 Street Fighter sequel with ~16 characters at launch is going to cost more than a game including 40 redesigned and 32 completely new characters, most stages from the franchise's history, a 3v3 tag system and a story mode more elaborate than anything the series has ever seen?

Two of those aren't even 3D games, so the process isn't even remotely comparable. SFxT was also spectacularly ugly, even more so than SF4. To be honest, I think most people would agree that the characters in both SF4 and SF5 are pretty bad looking overall. I really don't want them in another entry.

Can you imagine an Arcsys-style cel-shaded Street Fighter game based on Akiman's art style?

I didn't say 40 characters redesigned I said just touched up in particular the hair. And I also stated higher poly versions of all character models exist for these characters. I also didn't say to have all stages I stated just more additional stages from past Street Fighter games.

I do think Capcom restarting from 16 characters again will make it less successful.

Tekken Tag 2, Tekken Tag 1, MK Armageddon and SFxT managed to reuse assets. Yes SFxT was ugly but many people like SFV character models other than the hair.

As for making it 3v3 tag, didn't seem to be a massive task for Capcom making SFxT 2v2.

I can imagine cel shaded Street Fighter game and would love it but I can't see Capcom going this route due to not being able to make money on DLC costumes and the expensive task of making cel shaded character models that rival Guilty Gear. With SFV making less money than expected don't think Capcom would want to invest that much and also take out the main money maker of costume DLC.

yurinka

Well, I like these ideas combined: for Street Fighter VI, instead of starting from scratch as they do with every new numbered Street Fighter, I'd take the Tekken or Smash route and I'd reuse the characters from the previous one. In this case, I'd use as base the -as of now- 40 characters from Street Fighter V Champion Edition (or whatever ends being the last SFV iteration), and add the 23 Ultra SFIV characters that didn't make it. Tweak their models and textures to make it look good as a PS5 game using an Arsys-like celshading inspired by Akiman art style.

Then add the 14 remaining characters from SF1, SFA3Max and SFIII 3S that still didn't appear in a 3D game. These would be if I don't mistake 77 characters, all from SF1 until SFVCE. Add a few new ones from the SF lore (Damnd from Final Fight, Haggar, Goutetsu, Guile's daughter for SFVI timeline o Chun's father for SF1 timeline) to round the number until 80. Now an arcade mode like the one seen in SFV would be more complete but we'd add Final Fight and SFVI paths.

2 cinematic stories: one would be Street Fighter Origins, a remake of the SF1 story that woud add younger versions of some of the characters that appeared later like Akuma, Gouken, Goutetsu, Bison or Oro. Another one would be Street Fighter VI main story, set just after Street Fighter III and the them would be a new tournament set by G and the rise of NeoShadaloo taking over the reminings of the Illuminatis and Shadaloo.

To make everyone happy, all post launch characters would be free, but every 2 months a new character would be released to keep the game free. The launch version would have 50 characters, and there would be 5 seasons, each one with 6 characters. Paid DLC would focus on costumes, colors, stages (most of them remakes of classic stages), HUD skins, music tracks (focusing on bundles of classic stages and remixes) or announcer voices.

Same game modes but longer character stories (but with best of 3 battles with difficulty selection) from SFV in addition to online multiplayer training and World Tour mode.

No tag battle mode to keep SF different and unique compared to the Capcom versus games.

Roster size has little to do with the quality of the game (and SFV is amazing).

Street Fighter is not smash. The size of the roster is meaningless
Quantity doesn't mean quality, but Smash, Tekken and MK are the only series that sell more than SF and have something in common: they have way more content than SF.
My favorite game is SFV, but I think to have way more content would help in sales.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't even want a game with everyone in, half of those characters are shit or barely worth being anything more than an alternate costume for other similar characters. I wouldn't mind a good SF game with 20 characters that are all able to be top tier characters in tournaments with iconic silhouettes and just their alternate 2p color that retains that and maybe an unlockable costume that turns them into another character like some Smash characters get and its own 2p color. Guile's alt could be Charlie for example, maybe with their own arcade mode intro and outro so 40 intros and outros in a nice package without shitty cinematic story modes and what not. Reboot the story too, go back to just having the strongest fighters come across each other, randomly or in some tournament, as they decide to see who is best, each for his own reasons and goals, with all the evil shenanigans being incidental for some of them (ie Ryu and Bison and such) and not the point of the whole thing.

Last edited:
I didn't say 40 characters redesigned I said just touched up in particular the hair. And I also stated higher poly versions of all character models exist for these characters. I also didn't say to have all stages I stated just more additional stages from past Street Fighter games.

I do think Capcom restarting from 16 characters again will make it less successful.

Tekken Tag 2, Tekken Tag 1, MK Armageddon and SFxT managed to reuse assets. Yes SFxT was ugly but many people like SFV character models other than the hair.

As for making it 3v3 tag, didn't seem to be a massive task for Capcom making SFxT 2v2.

I can imagine cel shaded Street Fighter game and would love it but I can't see Capcom going this route due to not being able to make money on DLC costumes and the expensive task of making cel shaded character models that rival Guilty Gear. With SFV making less money than expected don't think Capcom would want to invest that much and also take out the main money maker of costume DLC.
You still didn't explain how your proposed game would be cheaper than making a new title that is similar in scope to SF4 and 5. Even if all the stages and characters from SF5 could be ported with zero changes, that would still leave 32 new characters and numerous stages for Capcom to build from the ground up. And while implementing a tag system might not be a "massive task" it is sure to be more expensive than sticking with 1v1.

If Capcom is as dependent on costume and character sales as you say they are, then a massive game with 72 characters would be an even worse proposition for them. A huge starting roster makes it harder for Capcom to come up with additional DLC characters and gives players less of a reason to buy them. On top of that, it is also likely to reduce the overall profitability of costume sales, since the number of costumes sold per character will be lower, whereas the cost to design and create them will remain the same.

Clarissa

Banned
Zafina from Tekken 7 was released in Sep 2019. After 5 months, I'm still learning her and no where competent with her (I'm in Yellow ranks)
I'm still trying to get to Ultra Diamond with Ibuki in SF5 after 3 years.

Learning a character and being competent takes so long in fighting games.

I don't know why you need 70+ characters in a fighting game. Even if you're a casual who just wants to press buttons and play arcade mode, you don't need 70+ characters. Quality over quantity anytime.

KAL2006

Banned
Historically Capcom has reused assets for every Street Fighter game excluding V and 1.

2 assets been reused with countless versions of 2.
Alpha assets been reused for Alpha sequels, Marvel games, and Vs SNK games.
3 assets have been reused on 3 series sequels and Fighting Jam, I'm sure they would have reused those assets more but the sprite detail and animation is way better than Marvel games they probably didn't think it would match.
4 assets were reused in X Tekken.
Even Marvel 3 assets were reused in Infinite

Perhaps they won't make a Street Fighter game with all characters, but I wouldn't be surprised if they take alot of assets from V for their next fighting game. Maybe it won't even be a Street Fighter game maybe it will be a Capcom All-stars game, or Street Fighter X something else etc.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'd be cool with them not making a Street Fighter 6 next gen and instead just adding more onto SFV... if that meant that we could finally get a Capcom vs Capcom fighter too.

Tiamat2san

Nope they need to change the art style.
I’d love a more cell shaded game (like ark system ) with the design more like street fighter zero/alpha.

OP that's basically a SF Dream Match game. Wouldn't mind that I guess, but wouldn't call it Street Fighter 6.

Anyway, I want a Xtreme Beach Volleyball style game for the SF girls next-gen. Lemme see those thick, curvy, toned sexy bodies in skimpy bikinis playing stupid beach minigames and pole dancing. They've practically been teasing it already with SFV and they could get away with it and still be taken seriously.

So Capcom, make it happen. Tons of money there for bikini DLC ;)

Tesseract

Banned
OP that's basically a SF Dream Match game. Wouldn't mind that I guess, but wouldn't call it Street Fighter 6.

Anyway, I want a Xtreme Beach Volleyball style game for the SF girls next-gen. Lemme see those thick, curvy, toned sexy bodies in skimpy bikinis playing stupid beach minigames and pole dancing. They've practically been teasing it already with SFV and they could get away with it and still be taken seriously.

So Capcom, make it happen. Tons of money there for bikini DLC ;)
hqdefault.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It would turn Street Fighter into King of Fighters. It would make matches feel longer than they should be. 2v2 worked for Tekken Tag and also the Capcom Versus Series.

I think they need to redo their art style. Some of the characters in SFV feel more out of place than the Third Strike cast. Tekken Tag also added moves to Tekken 3 characters. Jin Kazama, Kazuya, Devil, Jun, etc. they all had moves that were superior than their debut game.

Street Fighter EX3 has multiple character select. It works, but look how well the EX series turned out. Then you have to decide if you want to do 1v3, 2v3, or 3v3. Capcom be SNK 2 did that very well. I think a mainline Street Fighter that isn’t 1v1 is out of line. It doesn’t fit the brand because that’s why we have the EX series and the Versus series.

EX3 is very fun to play, but it also feels broken. It has a very clunky feeling to it. It works for those who don’t care. I just don’t think it would work out with the mainline Street Fighter brand.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Regardless of the many opinions spawned in this thread, I think we can all agree that Capcom needs to do something to make the Street Fighter franchise a dominant superpower in the fighting game space again.

lock2k

Banned
It would turn Street Fighter into King of Fighters. It would make matches feel longer than they should be. 2v2 worked for Tekken Tag and also the Capcom Versus Series.

I think they need to redo their art style. Some of the characters in SFV feel more out of place than the Third Strike cast. Tekken Tag also added moves to Tekken 3 characters. Jin Kazama, Kazuya, Devil, Jun, etc. they all had moves that were superior than their debut game.

Street Fighter EX3 has multiple character select. It works, but look how well the EX series turned out. Then you have to decide if you want to do 1v3, 2v3, or 3v3. Capcom be SNK 2 did that very well. I think a mainline Street Fighter that isn’t 1v1 is out of line. It doesn’t fit the brand because that’s why we have the EX series and the Versus series.

EX3 is very fun to play, but it also feels broken. It has a very clunky feeling to it. It works for those who don’t care. I just don’t think it would work out with the mainline Street Fighter brand.

They could just slap a 2x2 or 3x3 versus mode (like Marvel, switching chars, or KOF, by waiting line) as an optional feature while keeping the core game 1x1. It would be awesome.

Also, EX3 > SFV (to me).

Hinedorf

Banned
Unless you're a hardcore fighting gamer or hardcore street fighter fan you've probably been playing other and better fighting games for years. Street Fighter 4 and 5 are absolute trash games built more to be DLC money grabs than they the dedicated great fighting games of old.

I'll never understand how this series went so backwards after progressing with the alpha, now it's slower and less combo driven than ever.

Hotspurr

Banned
I kind of agree.
The fighting system is perfect, the graphics look very decent still, and the roster is huge.
I would fix the netcode (which apparently will happen tomorrow after the maintenance), balance the game better, create a better lobby system so it's easier to find fights (eg. you can challenge spectators in a lobby), and I also wouldn't mind more story/lore to make me care about the characters more.

Top Bottom