• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need a sad reaction emoji for sad posts

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
wait in line you scrublet, i'm still waiting for the bicep

XwzMI6n.jpg

Weilthain

Banned
I'd also love to exchange the "LOL" emoji to something without tears.
Tears are so unmanly.
On GAF nobody laughs unmanly.
I cry sometimes reading some of the stuff on here. A sad emoji ☹ might not encourage hope in those that could do with some. I guess that’s part of life though.

Shit I’m 14 and this is deep.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Also, having both, praise the sun and thumbs up seems redundant to me.

I still don't understand why it was necessary, it's the only one that requires an explanation to people not familiar with that game.

I like the brain emoji and use it frequently, but it could probably just be a thumbs up in most cases.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Christ on a bike. If you think something is sad, you make a post.

There's also a wealth of in post Emojis to draw from.

As for like versus praise the sun, one is approval and the other is raptious joy (such as at the news of a game reveal or something).

The problem with a sad Emoji as a reaction is it will get abused as a statement on whatever the poster has written. We already have a couple of low IQ types who don't get Triggering and deploy it regularly against certain posters(though they only make themselves look stupid tbh).

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
As for like versus praise the sun, one is approval and the other is raptious joy (such as at the news of a game reveal or something).

lol I don't know how you can say that a sad emoji is unnecessary but see no problem with having 3 different emojis expressing approval, a thumbs up, a love, and a "rapturous joy" emoji. A thumbs up would cover the other 2 sufficiently but we have them because people like to express different things with the emote system.

Nymphae

Banned
I's go as far and say these are the only ones you need:

(y)
:messenger_heart:
:messenger_grinning:
:messenger_pouting:

(and exactly the ones I used here..)

Really though, it's still 3 different approval emojis, and one disapproval, I'd be ok with a simple post vote system. I visit another forum which simply has a post rating number, people can up or downvote a post and it can go into negatives, which has no bearing on the post visibility, just lets you know how much of the community liked it or disliked it. I think that is a great system, but I do also like having nuance to the like system here. I think it's probably wise to not have many ways for people to spread negativity via emojis, but I do think a sad emoji would mostly be used in sincere ways. Like how could it be substantially abused? Oh no someone who disagrees with my post put a sad emoji instead of using the triggered one.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Christ on a bike. If you think something is sad, you make a post.

There's also a wealth of in post Emojis to draw from.

The problem with a sad Emoji as a reaction is it will get abused as a statement on whatever the poster has written. We already have a couple of low IQ types who don't get Triggering and deploy it regularly against certain posters(though they only make themselves look stupid tbh).
Dude, it's just an emoji.

GAMETA

Banned
While we're at it, it would also be nice to add as reactions:

:poop: = shitpost
:alien: = ayyyy
🐄 = normie
A seringe = insulin (for when a fatass is delusional and needs to get back to reality)

That will do, mod! Thank you!

If a comment is so sad that it warrants a reaction, I'd prefer to honor it with a decent response rather than a lazy emoji.

Show the person some appreciation [:messenger_heart:] and take your time to write a reply. Even if it's only a small one, some words of encouragement or understanding, a silly joke to cheer them up or the sharing of a common experience, it's a lot better than just throwing an emoticon their way. People share their sad stories because they want to connect, don't be like the millions of humanely estranged social media fools and honor them with a response if you care enough.

Nymphae

Banned
If a comment is so sad that it warrants a reaction, I'd prefer to honor it with a decent response rather than a lazy emoji.

Show the person some appreciation [:messenger_heart:] and take your time to write a reply. Even if it's only a small one, some words of encouragement or understanding, a silly joke to cheer them up or the sharing of a common experience, it's a lot better than just throwing an emoticon their way. People share their sad stories because they want to connect, don't be like the millions of humanely estranged social media fools and honor them with a response if you care enough.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but I am wondering what the perceived downside is in letting people react with an emote as well. There were a few posts I can remember seeing where I didn't feel like I could contribute a meaningful post, but I wanted to add something like a sad emoji, I don't see the harm in that, I think it would be a positive thing for the OP receiving it similar to getting a like on a post.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned

Ain't nobody got time fo that

GAMETA

Banned
I don't think this is a bad idea, but I am wondering what the perceived downside is in letting people react with an emote as well. There were a few posts I can remember seeing where I didn't feel like I could contribute a meaningful post, but I wanted to add something like a sad emoji, I don't see the harm in that, I think it would be a positive thing for the OP receiving it similar to getting a like on a post.
On a serious note, exactly. Sometimes you wanna be supportive but don't want to flood the thread with emojis, or simply don't know what to say.

There were a few posts I can remember seeing where I didn't feel like I could contribute a meaningful post, but I wanted to add something like a sad emoji, I don't see the harm in that, I think it would be a positive thing for the OP receiving it similar to getting a like on a post.

Ain't no wizardry in simply wishing them well or just telling them that you're at a loss for words if you feel like expressing your concern or compassion. If you still don't know what to say, then maybe it is best to just say nothing at all.

Ain't nobody got time fo that

If that's truly the case, then you don't deserve a sad emoji either.

Nymphae

Banned
Ain't no wizardry in simply wishing them well or just telling them that you're at a loss for words if you feel like expressing your concern or compassion. If you still don't know what to say, then maybe it is best to just say nothing at all.

You didn't answer my question, what is the perceived downside? We don't mind it for lazily expressing agreement, likes, loves, "rapturous joy", that we found something humourous, I am not seeing what make a sad emote not viable.

GAMETA

Banned
You didn't answer my question, what is the perceived downside? We don't mind it for lazily expressing agreement, likes, loves, "rapturous joy", that we found something humourous, I am not seeing what make a sad emote not viable.
Yep, it's just another "tool" to express something, including humor, and I'm pretty sure people will get the message based on context.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I did answer your question, the downside is the risk that people are eschewing a decent response for a lazy emoji.

But that is true for the entire emote system, every emote could have been a decent additional post. I don't understand the desire to not allow people to emote in this way when we allow it for others.

But that is true for the entire emote system, every emote could have been a decent additional post.

Yes, but the nature of every comment is not the same.

I do think that sad/personal comments deserve special consideration. Putting a lazy emoji under a sh*tpost or an opinion about an entertainment product is not the same as engaging with a comment that lays bare a person's innermost vulnerabilities.

Nymphae

Banned
Putting a lazy emoji under a sh*tpost or an opinion about an entertainment product is not the same as engaging with a comment that lays bare a person's innermost vulnerabilities.

I don't see why it should be that or nothing though when we have the emoji system, again, I'm not hearing any negatives that this would bring - just "well this would be a better way to contribute". Ok, but not everyone wants to engage with a sad post, but many of those people would like a small way to show support for a community member, I don't see why we should feel above this, it's a positive desire.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
lol I don't know how you can say that a sad emoji is unnecessary but see no problem with having 3 different emojis expressing approval, a thumbs up, a love, and a "rapturous joy" emoji. A thumbs up would cover the other 2 sufficiently but we have them because people like to express different things with the emote system.

Love is different from like or Praise the Sun. I only use that on particular posts that hit a certain level. I honestly don't see why this is hard to grasp tbh.

Again as has been said before by EviLore EviLore the Reaction emotes aren't meant to be read as a negative which is why a sad emoji would be a problem because people would just use it as a means to condemn posts they disagree with (Politics sub would just be Sads all round)

Also, what's with the repeat posts? There's a Multi-quote option ppl

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Love is different from like or Praise the Sun. I only use that on particular posts that hit a certain level. I honestly don't see why this is hard to grasp tbh.

I do understand how Love and Like are different, obviously. I have stated that I feel "rapturous joy" is an unnecessary emoji considering we have likes and loves (in addition to the fact that it is the only one that is not self explanatory.) What I don't understand is why there is such strong pushback for another emoji that would appear to have a clearer purpose and a decent number of people saying they would use it, positively.

a sad emoji would be a problem because people would just use it as a means to condemn posts they disagree with (Politics sub would just be Sads all round)

I don't see how that would be different than the way people currently use LOL and Triggered emojis to convey the same thing. Yes it would allow that (gasp!), but it would also allow people to genuinely convey condolence in an emoji without making a post. I don't see how that is bad really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom