• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We probably won't see any newcomer to the video game hardware market compete with PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo

M16

As a test, shure. And we keep hearing rumors of an Arcade + service.

I can see Apple coming with a M1 console at 399$ in one or two years and with a 699$ M2 pro version. With the right portfolio, it could be a killer and both means gaming for Mac and Windows ARM. It would be a revolution!

A Switch like M1 would be sooooo good.
cant believe we have so many gullible people like you drinking the apple koolaid.
the M1 is a 5nm chip, and comparing it with 10nm-14nm intel chips it still gets smoked in real world benchmarks by 3-6x, while both having similar battery life.
apple loving journalists (who should have no business reporting on low level stuff they know absolitely nothing about) love to foam at the mouth about benchmarks like geekbench which are designed to not take advantage of x86 superior features.
and these are synthetic benchmarks, whereas real world benchmarks still showing the M1 getting wrecked.

Shmunter

cant believe we have so many gullible people like you drinking the apple koolaid.
the M1 is a 5nm chip, and comparing it with 10nm-14nm intel chips it still gets smoked in real world benchmarks by 3-6x, while both having similar battery life.
apple loving journalists (who should have no business reporting on low level stuff they know absolitely nothing about) love to foam at the mouth about benchmarks like geekbench which are designed to not take advantage of x86 superior features.
and these are synthetic benchmarks, whereas real world benchmarks still showing the M1 getting wrecked.
I don’t really care one way or another. But I thought it was intel themselves that published cherry picked benchmarks in response to the M1? Therefore intel kool aid?

Addressed by pretty much all the major publications...eg

I'm not a believer, that's the reason why. It really helps not telling stories.

Do your researches. In the real world, eveyting is running faster than on my last windows computer, including Photoshop and Pro Tools with a MacBookAir. But you, you know better than everyone - even better than the pro Mac called Linus, for exemple. How cool is that? The world has been waiting for you. Now, go further. Show the world your tests, with metrics on real hardwares and tell how journalists, including Linux and other pro Windows who put M1 at the top of their list for 2020 laptops, are part of an universal plot to make Apple better, a so important plot that change perception on real world with M1 and next M1X.

So since I'm living on a lie and I don't get the performance I see and enjoy and that we are all living in Mac's castle, do it man, change our hears!

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Tencent or Genda (Segas new owners) are possibilities IMO

If they grab only 10% of the chinese gamers a Tencent console would be on par with the 3DS sales (70-75 millions)

There is clearly a room for a chinese console (worldwide sales would be icing on the cake. Plus, Tencent doesn't need to convince publishers to work with them, they are their share holders lol)

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
I would be wary of entering such market seeing that a giant like Microsoft (with their money and software expertise) couldn't make a dent for 20 years and are being the market weakest link.

Scary market for new comers.

TheMan

Once streaming becomes a widespread thing I wouldn’t be surprised if publishers like EA or Ubisoft starting pushing their own services exclusively in lieu of publishing on outside platforms. Basically the Netflix/Hulu/Disney/etc wars will play out with video games. Consoles will die and you’ll just stream to your TV or headset. So no, I don’t see anyone else jumping in now. Too late in the game for traditional hardware, and probably too early still for a dedicated steaming box (see stadia lol)

Last edited:

Wonko_C

A newcomer has recently entered the hardware market and already has two generations under their belt (and are working on Gen 3 & 4 as of now), just not with traditional consoles:

4oJFBHv.jpg

Even their marketing campaign seems focused on competing with traditional consoles... well, more like mocking them for being old hat/toys with their "Play for Real" ads:

Last edited:

M16

I'm not a believer, that's the reason why. It really helps not telling stories.

Do your researches. In the real world, eveyting is running faster than on my last windows computer, including Photoshop and Pro Tools with a MacBookAir. But you, you know better than everyone - even better than the pro Mac called Linus, for exemple. How cool is that? The world has been waiting for you. Now, go further. Show the world your tests, with metrics on real hardwares and tell how journalists, including Linux and other pro Windows who put M1 at the top of their list for 2020 laptops, are part of an universal plot to make Apple better, a so important plot that change perception on real world with M1 and next M1X.

So since I'm living on a lie and I don't get the performance I see and enjoy and that we are all living in Mac's castle, do it man, change our hears!
Your last windows computer? Lol how old is that? What kind of ssd(if it even has one).
So now you're comparing to an older device and saying it's faster.
Hey my phone is faster than my 10 year old pc too.
Keep drinking the koolaid

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'm sure this is what Nintendo was thinking when they learned Sony decided to go and build Playstation on their own. Or what Nokia was thinking looking at a company like Apple - pfffff, what do a bunch of Silicon Valley nerds know about building phones?

It happened before and it will happen again, the only thing needed is time.
There are far more issues preventing the adoption of streaming over local hardware than tech, and they can't be fixed with tech solutions either. Aside from the lag, buffering, image noise, etc., other huge hurdles are data caps and areas where the internet connections needed just aren't there.

Sony actually acknowledged this with the reveal of the PS4, stating that there are several countries and even locations in the U.S. where constant online check-ins would disenfranchise those without access to decent internet. And, as someone whose only decent ISP choice is a provider with data caps, I'm not jacking up my monthly bills for an inferior streaming solution compared to the local hardware I already have.

Top Bottom