• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

MauroNL

Great article by GamesRadar of the struggled development of Cuphead. Lots more at the break. Can't wait to finally be playing it this September!
http://www.gamesradar.com/we-quit-o...ow-relentless-passion-made-cuphead-a-reality/

After E3 2015, StudioMDHR was ready to fully commit to its initial ”dream scope" for the game. ”We realized that there were a lot of people out there that wanted what we were doing," says Chad. ”My brother and I quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses and began expanding the team. This was our chance to actually deliver the game we wanted to make all along, rather than the cut-scope game we originally planned with a three person team." It's a gamble that could easily have backfired on the brothers. Hello Games and its overly ambitious No Man's Sky is a prime example of a studio throwing everything they have at the game and, for the most part, failing to meet expectations. Tellingly, Hello Games has been incredibly quiet ever since, kept firmly out of the spotlight by Sony.

Once the decision was made to expand the scope, Chad and Jared quickly started to expand the development team, as it would've been impossible to successfully create a larger version of Cuphead with just three people. Now, StudioMDHR employs 20 people (including Chad and Jared). This is everyone from animators and designers, to a hand-lettering artist and digital painters.

Chad Moldenhauer
Chad expands on this: ”The bulk of the engine work was already in place from building the core Cuphead controls and stage setup for the bosses. Evolving from there to fully scrolling levels was just the next step."

Though Chad and Jared knew exactly what was required of the team to craft levels, it didn't make the job any easier. After all, the most difficult part about developing Cuphead is nailing its art style.
Close if old!

Gestault

This game has consistently kept my attention for years. I almost never say this, but I'm glad to have a digital pre-order set up and ready to go.

kubev

I really do hope that this game does well. It's crazy to me that I bought an Xbox One for this, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive, and this is the one game out of those three that I'm still waiting for. It just seems...off. XD

Kyne

game looks amazing, and I am in for the co-op.

pending reviews, I'll be more than happy to give these people my money.

Blam

The risks they took they didn't need to do, but because of their love for creating games they did the right thing and made one of 2017's most unique games.

Its a bit sad that the hype for the game wasn't able to secure them enough funding that they didn't have to remortgage their house, but video game development is all just one big gamble in the end.

Weird to bring up No Man's Sky. Despite its reception by fans and critics, I'm pretty sure Hello Games made a shitload of money from it.

hawk2025

NMS is a million+ seller and is receiving constant support -- what is this article even implying?

Regarding Cuphead, I wish them the best and really hope the game delivers.

God damn. If I was a game developer it would be really hard for me to convince myself to go the indie route, so much risk and only a slim chance of it paying off...

Sanic

The design of the game doesn't really mesh with taking on the kind of risk they did.

Their target demographic is too niche. This is not at all like No Man's Sky.

Hello Games and its overly ambitious No Man’s Sky is a prime example of a studio throwing everything they have at the game and, for the most part, failing to meet expectations. Tellingly, Hello Games has been incredibly quiet ever since, kept firmly out of the spotlight by Sony.

That's a weird comparison considering Hello undoubtedly made tens of millions from sales of the game and Sony did not publish it so I doubt they had any say in the marketing, pre- or post-launch.

Gestault

NMS is a million+ seller and is receiving constant support -- what is this article even implying?

They're talking about the quality and scope of the game, not its sales:

After E3 2015, StudioMDHR was ready to fully commit to its initial ”dream scope" for the game. ”We realized that there were a lot of people out there that wanted what we were doing," says Chad. ”My brother and I quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses and began expanding the team. This was our chance to actually deliver the game we wanted to make all along, rather than the cut-scope game we originally planned with a three person team." It's a gamble that could easily have backfired on the brothers. Hello Games and its overly ambitious No Man's Sky is a prime example of a studio throwing everything they have at the game and, for the most part, failing to meet expectations. Tellingly, Hello Games has been incredibly quiet ever since, kept firmly out of the spotlight by Sony.

The nature of marketing and communications around NMS changed abruptly after the rocky release.

BreakinBad

Neo Member
I went in to E3 debating an Xbox One X. I left deciding that I will not be purchasing one with a firm final two games (as of now) that I'll buy for the system. Ori 2 and Cuphead. This was a fantastic get by Microsoft and I really hope it pans out.

Wait, so Microsoft didn't pick them up? They are still on their own?
No? MS don't, or haven't bought indie devs in a long while. They presumably helped them out partially funding development, but wouldn't have paid for the full thing. Same as Sony with indie devs.

Grinchy

Banned
No Man's Sky may have failed to meet player expectations, but it brought in 10s of millions of dollars.

Failing as well as Hello Games did wouldn't be such a bad thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
I went in to E3 debating an Xbox One X. I left deciding that I will not be purchasing one with a firm final two games (as of now) that I'll buy for the system. Ori 2 and Cuphead. This was a fantastic get by Microsoft and I really hope it pans out.
Did Microsoft sponsor them in some way (regarding "fantastic get by Microsoft)?

hawk2025

They're talking about the quality and scope of the game, not its sales:

The marketing and communications pre-launch changed abruptely after NMS released, and there was a big backlash to its quality and scope of execution.

But that's not true. They have been supporting and updating the game. There is no evidence that it has been "kept firmly out of the spotlight by Sony". There's no evidence that Sony has even been involved in any way since after launch.

Top Bottom