• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

Head.spawn

NMS made about $40M on Steam alone. So figure $25M on the low end after Valve takes its cut. I know that the PS4 version sold a lot as well. Their rep is gone, but most comparable indies don't see that much revenue ever.

They definitely got their pay day.

For some reason though, their bad showing has made negative waves for other indie developers, because I swear I can't look at a news article, twitter/forum thread without hearing about how any promising new game "might be the next NMS!! be weary! NMS looked good too!".

bitbydeath

Pre-ordered and ready to go. :)

EA is more than a handful of people and a single major game, it's not really comparable. They may have had a few rocky launches, but the vast majority of their games launch fine and those that don't end up being more than fine. Another piece of this is I get to try every single EA game before launch to test it myself now, they have created a way for gamers to purchase games with an informed view that previews and reviews will never match.

NMS at the end of the day is still NMS at the end of the day. Still missing things they claimed to be in there even after launch. I know I have lost all desire to see that game and anything they release afterwards will be met with that same apprehension.

For EA I was more referring to how they have bought and killed studios and then had an uprising of "I'll never buy an EA game again".

This has happened a lot, they've had far more threats against them than anyone.

Also was voted the worst business in America (twice I think)

Wow, they're really putting a lot on this game. I've been looking forward to it since its reveal and I hope it's as good as it looks.

daxy

So this game is going to be more than only boss fights? It completely fell off my radar when I got word of that after its unveiling.

kiguel182

They couldn't get a publisher after the awesome reception the trailer got?

Hopefully the game turns out to be good and a success.

shaowebb

Respect to the developers. I gave up a lot to do what I wanted myself but I wouldn't do what they did. There are some risks that I just can't afford to take. As is I dont even get to make stuff anymore but at least my bills are paid. Hope these guys succeed given all they put on the line for this.

It's amazing to think that the game was initially just going to be a bunch of boss battles.

I was a bit turned off by that at first, but was very interested after hearing it was going to be traditional game. Best of luck to them. I've already heard plenty of times how hard it is designing games and running a business period.

I disagree.

They pissed away their Rep.

I hope for good things with Cuphead.

Exactly.

A lot of people here are thinking in very self centered and selfish way because they are disconnected from the situation and all they see is the dollar signs. Sometimes it's hard to understand that there are real devs out their that are actually passionate about making games for people to enjoy and want to keep making them as long as they can because they love when their work makes people happy and changes the world and they care what people think about them more than just the money they get paid. No self respecting and honest developer wants to end up anything like NMS. They blew their rep so hard that it will be a monumental task for Hello Games to do a sequel or any new project. On top of that, publishers are going to be even more wary of making deals with them.

They completely deserve it though. Could have been so easily avoided.

I don't see them making the same mistakes so far and it's good that other devs are taking note of the NMS disaster and learning anything they can from it in order to separate themselves from all of the mistakes they made. It's also nice that publications are still bringing up the mess as well because it serves as a deterrent and a lesson for any devs out there who may be struggling and may be tempted to behave the same as Hello Games did.

dickroach

I dunno how much they spent on development, but I think they'll at least make their money back.
I'm predicting like 100,000 copies between pc and xbox sold for $20, and then another 300,000+ between sales and bundles over the next couple of years.

Well just like Ori Cuphead is on steam so it should do just fine. I thought it was Xbox/Win 10 exclusive.
Ori's sold well over a million units on steam. it's crazy
I'd imagine a vast majority of those were at $5 or $7.50 or whatever the sale price was, but still

Lace

Game completely fell off my radar but I hope the best for them. Hopefully all the delay resulted in a spectacular game.

I think they're going to do ok. The game has a ton of publicity and attention behind it, and Microsoft is going to be marketing it much stronger than most other indies.

But the people saying it has an uphill battle on Xbox aren't wrong. Not only is the install base significantly smaller than PlayStation 4, the demographic for this type of game is a mis-match. My games (not exactly a run-n-gun, but Mega Man style platformers) sell tremendously higher on PS4, and are received more positively by players on that platform.

Look at the sales pie chart of something like Shovel Knight. This type of game would have a much more accepting audience on PS4 than it will on Xbox One.

Gbraga

Are there some good videos of the levels? I'm one of the people who didn't mind the boss rush aspect, and ever since they started to show the actual levels, I've been thoroughly unimpressed. I do think that, ideally, a game with levels is better, but the footage I've seen didn't convince me at all. The bosses continue to be the only part that looks fun.

I'm in, either way.

I think they're going to do ok. The game has a ton of publicity and attention behind it, and Microsoft is going to be marketing it much stronger than most other indies.

But the people saying it has an uphill battle on Xbox aren't wrong. Not only is the install base significantly smaller than PlayStation 4, the demographic for this type of game is a mis-match. My games (not exactly a run-n-gun, but Mega Man style platformers) sell tremendously higher on PS4, and are received more positively by players on that platform.

Look at the sales pie chart of something like Shovel Knight. This type of game would have a much more accepting audience on PS4 than it will on Xbox One.

You can't post that and not mention your game's name. :p

It's not gonna do a lot of numbers. I hope it does, but the amount of people who waant a boss rush indie game in 2017 ain't that high

So, you came in here to say a game was going to fail when peoples futures are on the line as per the article... without knowing what you where talking about?

Way to go.

It's interesting that people in this thread are bashing Hello Games and NMS while at the same time boasting that they pre-ordered this game.

Believing Cup Head is a 2D side scroller with an emphasis on boss battles and believing that No Man's Sky is a fully functioning universe at 2^64 scale with realistic physics are two different things.

I can get the idea of what Cup Head is by watching the videos. The same way I became suspicious that NMS had little gameplay to offer even if the lies were true. Unfortunately I still bought that turd. I guess they could have also been lying the entire time and Cup Head is really just an animated gif, but at least Xbox Live allows refunds.

Maybe you should reread what you just quoted?

Hello Games made a ton of money. Article referred to them as failing in some way that these devs don't want to financially, which doesn't make any sense.

I'm not referring to Hello Games' deception. I am referring to as to why the person I quoted hoped that the developers of CupHead would walk the same path as Hello Games.

Or am I missing something here?

Maybe you should reread what you just quoted?

Hello Games made a ton of money. Article referred to them as failing in some way that these devs don't want to financially, which doesn't make any sense.

They might have made quick money right now, but they've destroyed themselves financially beyond No Man's Sky. I'd call that a failure unless that was their intent.

Despera

Banned
I really, reeeeally hope they nail the gameplay before release.

It still stands out from other indie games due to its unique and extremely polished art. Double down with some engaging gameplay and you have a potential indie success story.

Top Bottom