• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We said original Super Mario Bros 2 was too hard for you, we weren't joking.

sphinx

the piano man
/Miyamoto & Co.

What... The... Fuck..

Original Super Mario bros 2, Aka Lost levels is the hardest platformer I have played in my whole life and it has got to be the hardest 2d scrolling game in the history of videogames.

I decided to download it on the VC, like many of my friends because none of us got a chance to play it when we were kids. Suffice it to say, They tried 1-1 a couple of times and threw the towel to never look back again, as I did but I am recently in a " finish your backlog" phase and I've been dedicated to crack this fucking nut.

I have used countless continues, I have been killed in every possible way, I can get my ass handed to me every couple of steps I give if I am not careful and all this using shortest Path possible! I can't imagine myself finishing a no warp zone walkthrough.

Fuck, I got today to 8-4 but can get past the first couple of scenes, I can't wait to finish it and put it away for good, what a perverse game.

sphinx

the piano man
nincompoop said:
It wasn't THAT hard. Or at least the All-Stars version wasn't, since you could save your progress after each level.

You can't here, you can't do anything in the original game that came out in Japan as SMB2 back in the day.

You can only die, learn patterns, die some more and when you get a game over, you start from round 1 from whatever world you managed to get to.

shaowebb

sphinx said:
what a perserve game.

Huh?

Quote aside, this game isn't that hard. It's worse than Mario 1, but I enjoyed it. Course I also played Mario Frustration, Cat mario, Mario Kaizo...

I played the All Stars version years ago, so it was manageable. I feel sorry for the Japanese people that suffered through that.

It was genious of NoA not releasing this here. Well, probably.

I need to play the original version. I've beaten the All-Stars and SMB Deluxe versions, but those are easier since you can save every level. I died a million times on 8-4 on Deluxe, but then did it in a few tries on All-Stars for some reason.

sphinx said:
Fuck, I got today to 8-4 but can get past the first couple of scenes, I can't wait to finish it and put it away for good, what a perverse game.

There are four worlds after that (well, five, sort of).

sphinx

the piano man
shaowebb said:

Sorry, meant somthing else, already edited.

AlternativeUlster said:
I didn't think it was that hard and I can't beat Ghosts and Goblins with a fucking Game Genie.

I am a G&G veteran, I can finish those games without using continues. Yes it took weeks, perhaps a couple of months to learn and memorize patterns and mechanics but this is something else, it' s like every fuckin step is a trap, a vicious perverse trap.

and of course, the all-stars version did away with all that because it is a sin to have done such an evil game.

sphinx

the piano man
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
There are four worlds after that (well, five, sort of).

I sure know, I went to the gamefaqs to look for warps and secrets and stuff to aid my quest and while It has done it a bit easier, everything plays against you:

.- unreachable power-ups
.- very rare 1ups, mostly on X-1 rounds
.- tubes that take you back in the level
.- stupid trampolines with all sort of hardships around them
.- hammer bros that instead of moving in a zone, they charge or move towards you while throwing hammers, what the FUCK.
.- Jumps that are impossible without the aid of Koopas, Goombas, whatever.

Since I want to "beat" this game to write it off as beaten and make my backlog smaller, I really don't give a fuck to see what other ass-raping levels are in store for me if I finish it this or that way.

Always felt like a bad ROM hack to me, it pretty much throws you into the fire and steps on your knuckles every time you try to climb out. Some people love that, I didn't.

I think the crowning moment for me (at least on All-Stars?) was that I think right at the beginning of 8-4, making that first jump with Luigi is nearly impossible because of how the physics work when you hit your head on the ceiling, which even the lightest tap of jump would cause him to do. I could be remembering the spot wrong, though.

I remember finishing the All Star Version more than 10 years,quite a thrilling experience if you ask me. As for now I playing the original NES version on the VC which I feel is a bit harder than the all star one although this one was a remake.

The Japanese version isn't too hard. I beat it the 7 times or whatever without continuing to unlock the
world A-D
and that was pretty tough, especially
it's either level C-3 or D-3 and in one of those levels there's a glitch where one of the spring boards doesn't pop up so you have to kill the flying blooper at just the right time or else the spring board doesn't appear and you can't advance and have to jump off and die
so that part was a bitch. Other than that, the game is just the right amount of challenge for me to be really really fun! I've probably beaten that game over 30 times on the Wii's virtual console alone. Not nearly as many times as I have beaten the original SMB though, but I've been playing that game since I was 2. It's kind of sad that the first game I ever played in my life is still my favorite, and I still play it today.

gblues

Banned
Perverse? Hah! Hard as nails, but not perverse. No, that honor goes to Syobon Action. It's been ported to the HBC so you can even play it on your Wii if you want.

After that, Mario 2 Japan will seem like sanity.

sphinx

the piano man
AniHawk said:
with an option for suicide. :lol

which I used once already :lol

perfectchaos007 said:
The Japanese version isn't too hard. I beat it the 7 times or whatever without continuing to unlock the
world A-D
and that was pretty tough, especially
it's either level C-3 or D-3 and in one of those levels there's a glitch where one of the spring boards doesn't pop up so you have to kill the flying blooper at just the right time or else the spring board doesn't appear and you can't advance and have to jump off and die
so that part was a bitch. Other than that, the game is just the right amount of challenge for me to be really really fun! I've probably beaten that game over 30 times on the Wii's virtual console alone. Not nearly as many times as I have beaten the original SMB though, but I've been playing that game since I was 2. It's kind of sad that the first game I ever played in my life is still my favorite, and I still play it today.

Wha.... a permanent GLITCH???? :O what kind of evil sorcery is this.

No way, I just want beat this game and never look back again.

One day I will use this experience as a horror story for my grandchildren (if I have them).

i'm proud to say that i beat this gem of a game, even if it was the all-stars version which lets you save after each level instead of each world like the NES version. i'm working through the NES version on VC now.

by far my favorite platformer of all time. so challenging, but not frustrating.

I played the All Stars version in anticipation of NSMB:Wii. I had a lot of fun, despite the difficulty. I beat it, as well as the bonus levels. I don't think I could've done that if it wasn't the All Stars version though. You really need to Save in that game.

autobzooty said:
i'm proud to say that i beat this gem of a game, even if it was the all-stars version which lets you save after each level instead of each world like the NES version. i'm working through the NES version on VC now.

by far my favorite platformer of all time. so challenging, but not frustrating.

exactly. that must be the important part of the formula that keeps me coming back again and again. It may be tough, but it's fair, unlike some older platformers that AVGN has already called them out on.

sphinx

the piano man
how come there are some many of you that played it when you were little boys? are you all japanese or you mean the all-stars version?

this thread is obviously NOT about the All-stars version, you can save there which makes everything different.

Did you all import the game as kids? what gives?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
sphinx said:
how come there are some many of you that played it when you were little boys? are you all japanese or you mean the all-stars version?

this thread is obviously NOT about the All-stars version, you can save there which makes everything different.

It's also a bonus feature on Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the GBC.

Also quit nitpicking, it is more or less exactly the same game mechanically as Lost Levels. It's not like you can't continue on SMB2 and the game has a gain a shit ton of lives trick in level 1-1.

Tain

All depends on where you save in Lost Levels versus where you restart when continuing in SMB2J, assuming SMB2J has infinite continues. If the original doesn't have infinite continues or Lost Levels doesn't restart you upon loading in the same spot as continuing in SMB2J, they're different enough. Could be the same, for all I know!

The original lets you restart at the beginning of the world you died in, and you can't save mid-game. The SNES version lets you restart at the beginning of the level you died in, and you can save after every level.

Tain

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
The original lets you restart at the beginning of the world you died in, and you can't save mid-game. The SNES version lets you restart at the beginning of the level you died in, and you can save after every level.

Bang. Reason enough for me to avoid the SNES game.

sphinx said:

The game's 24 years old. I wouldn't be shocked if that's older than the average GAFFer. I imagine a ton of people just emulated it in the mid to late 90s when half of this forum *were* little boys.

I've played it so much as a kid, I can play (the SNES one) with my eyes closed as Luigi. Apparently, based on GAF responses, I'm the only one who likes playing as him...

But yes, the game is hard, but it's very awesome. My favorite stages are 7-3, 8-2 (or was it D-2?), 8-4, C-3, C-4 and D-4.

I only recently discovered
World 9
, thanks to some Japanese video on that game I saw, but IMO, they're interesting at most, not the most fun.

sphinx

the piano man
Segata Sanshiro said:
The game's 24 years old. I wouldn't be shocked if that's older than the average GAFFer. I imagine a ton of people just emulated it in the mid to late 90s when half of this forum *were* little boys.

well that would explain why it was a cakewalk for them, saving anywhere and having endless lives sure helps you beat this game.

Anyway, I just failed to beat this game tonight after an hour of trying to get through world 8, better luck tomorrow.

Despite Super Mario Bros. 2 having some of the hardest levels in the game, I really think the hardest Mario level ever was in New SMB Wii... This level (slight spoiler): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsgZnwH13w

...and to think that you get the Fire Flower toward the end of the level... I was flipping out when I first played it.

sphinx said:
well that would explain why it was a cakewalk for them, saving anywhere and having endless lives sure helps you beat this game.
It's not really the saving anywhere and endless lives, it's mostly the fact that you can jump higher off Koopa shells in this game than the original. That's the only real gameplay difference between the two versions (besides the brick thing).

alf717

Funny I found the game to be rather difficult as well on Virtual Console. I haven't played it much since I purchased it on the Virtual Console but I do remember playing and completing the version that came with Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the GBC. I just got Mario All star as a freebie from a neighbor this week and was debating which version to play. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly Mario All star only saves correctly when you make it to a new world. 1-1 - 2-1 but not 1-2/3/4 will not save unless I just did something wrong. I know it is not quite the same but the VC does offer a save state feature if you have to exit the game but continues will still mess you up and make you go back.

leroidys

EDIT: err wrong thread...

But yeah, this is one of the hardest games that I've ever beaten. Usually I'm an obsessive completist, but I never felt a strong urge to go back and get to world 9.

It can be stupid hard, but saying that Super Mario Bros., which resorted to a few repeated levels, is entirely superior, is a bit much.

onken

You can restart from the beginning of the world so it's not THAT hard, not like you have to start from world 1 or anything.

My memory of beating this game is still vivid. I got to Bowser but I still had my mushroom, I could have used some fancy footwork to try and get passed him unharmed but I was so sick of the game by that stage I just walked right into him, took the hit and walked out the other side.

That was way too much Mario for my liking.

Tarin02543

I beat the All Stars version.

My favourite part was the castle part where you have to jump down a bottomless pit and somehow try to hover to the left so you can reach a pipe.

Crazy as hell.

DonMigs85

Somehow I managed to beat this game as part of Mario All-Stars, although I got stuck on one level on the Game Boy Color DX version (they seemed to have messed up the level design somehow - seems impossible to jump to one of the platforms)

DonMigs85 said:
Somehow I managed to beat this game as part of Mario All-Stars, although I got stuck on one level on the Game Boy Color DX version (they seemed to have messed up the level design somehow - seems impossible to jump to one of the platforms)

i finished it on the gbc, various times.

thou, i had the pirate nes cart -_-

ryan-ts

The All Stars version is a lot easier then the original on the Famicom. I still can't beat either of them though.

Top Bottom