• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Ski (Wii) press release

Looks like We Ski is coming to America. How good of a skiing game is it? Can you do time trials and such or is it mainly just a casual experience? Either way, I'm glad I don't have to buy WiiFit in order to play this game. I'm a big snow skiing fan.

Namco website said:
NAMCO BANDAI GAMES BRINGS THE SLOPES HOME WITH WE SKI™
Edge through the Alpine with Your Friends as Four Player Skiing Comes to Wii

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (March 3, 2008) – Step onto your Wii Balance Board™ or grab your Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ and hit the fresh powder as NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced We Ski™, an exciting skiing game for Wii™. Now up to four skiers can experience the sweetest mountain runs in the comfort of their homes as We Ski’s highly responsive and intuitive controls take them down the slopes like never before. We Ski will slalom into stores in Spring 2008.

“We are thrilled to be the first publisher to offer a realistic and enjoyable skiing experience that can also support the new Wii Balance Board,” said Todd Thorson, Director of Marketing and Public Relations for NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “NAMCO BANDAI is working to entertain both casual gamers and hardcore enthusiasts with a recreation of a beloved sport and pastime.”

In We Ski, up to four skiers can test their skills on more than a dozen runs from the bunny slopes to the most challenging Black Diamonds. Not only can players carve through the trails using the motion-based controls but they can also mix in the Wii Balance Board for a whole new level of realism. Players can ski using their own Mii™ or create a new character with a host of customizable options including changeable face and body types. Boosting the customization feature, additional skis, poles, goggles, and costumes can be unlocked.

We Ski features an entire mountain to explore, complete with a ski school, freestyle skiing, moguls and slaloms, photography, and a variety of other events. Players can even try their hand at night skiing while enjoying the spectrum of fireworks that color the sky. With We Ski no more long drives to the snow will be necessary to enjoy a day of shredding the mountains.

For more information on We Ski, please visit: http://www.namcobandaigames.com/

We Ski™ & © 2008 NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Wii, Wii Remote, Nunchuk, Mii, Wii Balance Board and the Wii logo are trademarks of Nintendo. © 2006 Nintendo.

Press Release © 2008 NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Surfer Girl called the name.

Did any Japanese GAFers get this? Interested in any impressions..

Penguin

Toy Soldier said:
Sweet, I was hoping we'd get Family Ski localized soon...and I figured they'd drop it in time for Wii Fit.
IGN has a preview/screens and I think video up of the game.
It looks cool.

Gamecocks625 said:
How good of a skiing game is it? Can you do time trials and such or is it mainly just a casual experience?

For anyone knowledgeable in Japanese, here are a whole pile of customer reviews to trek through at Amazon.co.jp.

I've tried Babel translating a few, but that doesn't offer much insight.

Toy Soldier said:
For anyone knowledgeable in Japanese, here are a whole pile of customer reviews to trek through at Amazon.co.jp.

I've tried Babel translating a few, but that doesn't offer much insight.

We need Stormbringer from the PES 2008 (Wii) thread to translate that stuff! :lol

whiskey_bottles.jpg

Penguin said:
The sequel should be fun

We Ski Too

I don't know.
Does look good from the videos at IGN. No tricks though. :(

You can do tricks off of jumps. It just isn't a "trick" game like SSX or something.

dfi

Controls look pretty cool.

From the previews I've read, the controls work really well even if you don't have the balance board.

How come EA didn't think of these controls when they made ssx blur?

Good news, I'll probably pick this up alongside WiiFit.

dfi said:
Controls look pretty cool.

From the previews I've read, the controls work really well even if you don't have the balance board.

How come EA didn't think of these controls when they made ssx blur?
Because it's more trick-based? Doing tricks with Nunchuck and WiiMote tucked under your armpits would be quite difficult.

Apart from that the controls in SSX Blur work really great.

PantherLotus said:
Did I read April??

I've only seen Spring and Q2 mentioned (both on this release and IGN).

I figure they'll go later in Spring than April...I'd place my bets on the same week as Wii Fit.

I wonder if you can still have fun with this game without the balance board. I wasn't planning on buying WiiFit so I am curious if the traditional control method still provides a good skiiing experience. On another note, what is the pricing for this game in Japan? I hope it's around the $30-$40 mark when it hits the US.

Alphahawk

Toy Soldier said:
I've only seen Spring and Q2 mentioned (both on this release and IGN).

I figure they'll go later in Spring than April...I'd place my bets on the same week as Wii Fit.

1up is saying April...

dkeane

Phife Dawg said:
Apart from that the controls in SSX Blur work really great.
Yeah, carving in SSX blur felt great on the nunchuck. It they would have nailed the trick system the game would have been a lot better.

Looking forward to this. Has a price been announced? 30 bucks would be perfect.

Spoit

I'm still really supprised that a game which requires such an expensive, non-included add-on did so (relatively) well.

Spoit said:
I'm still really supprised that a game which requires such an expensive, non-included add-on did so (relatively) well.

You don't need the board. You can use the nunchuk and remote exclusively.

legend166

Spoit said:

Think of it this way:

It's not long now until the balance board has a higher installed base than the PS3 in Japan.

The big red badge does look a bit distracting and ugly, but it definitely does make its point clear (and one hopes that Nintendo does not change the name of the "balance board" to something different at the last moment). I wonder how good this game will do in the US.

splattergnome said:
The big red badge does look a bit distracting and ugly, but it definitely does make its point clear (and one hopes that Nintendo does not change the name of the "balance board" to something different at the last moment). I wonder how good this game will do in the US.

I agree about the red badge, but it's still a nice boxart.

While I won't be buying WiiFit (thus no balance board), I'm still looking forward to it! I've always wanted a good ski game, and this is the next best thing to that arcade game from back in the day...I think it was Alpine Racer or something.

turk128

The heads have the same style as My Sims (love the cute style) and the one with the 'safety' helmet on is my fav :D

bdouble

Aladuf23 said:
I've been wondering about this, for some odd reason it seems hella fun.

Yeah me too. For some reason it reminds me of Snowboard Kids. It could be just because the visuals are kinda similar.

Keyser Soze said:

thats the most important piece of equipment when I go skiing. :D

Top Bottom