• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web comic: Why isn't Link female, Aonuma? Answer!

QATeNPI.jpg

VertigoOA

Banned
Audiences now think that the property is actually there’s. What happens that a creator’s vision is taken from them and ip’s become repurposed to market new ideas not creative enough to be its own thing. The Disney Effect.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The real question is, why does Link need to be female? Just make an original female character who everyone can enjoy. Last I heard characters like Chun Li, Lara Croft, Claire Redfield, Ellie from The Last of Us and Samus Aran were a big hit with gamers.

Changing the gender of an established character like Link reeks of appeasement of hardline feminists who've probably never played a game in their life. Why should developers bend the knee to make them happy?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"Not being female is misogynistic!" - ResetEra, 2020, three days after Trump won another election

:LOL: yep, could definitely see that.

The race between those lunatics and those who support and cheer for someone just because it pisses off someone else is a mystery to me though and a sad one too.

Audiences now think that the property is actually there’s. What happens that a creator’s vision is taken from them and ip’s become repurposed to market new ideas not creative enough to be its own thing. The Disney Effect.
Here is my problem, both "sides" argue that the characters should be as they see fit.

One side wants to change them (swap genders, make the cast more "diverse", forcibly or not, etc. we all know the agenda), often it breaks the universe said characters in the which they evolve because you also can't make women look bad - deep inside they all want to be princesses - people from visible minorities (in a global world we all are minorities, but this analysis is very USA centric) should not be stereotypical, and they should somehow be representative of their whole identity group(s).

I mean, literally, those requesting that kind of changes, they could watch kids super hero cartoons on Netflix, this is about the same level (even my daughter will tell the hero sometimes, use such and such super power... but they don't to keep the story "tense", they have no real struggles, and even less character defects, or they have all the right tools at the touch of a button, like in Paw Patrol).

Well the other side just want to ear stories that make sense in whatever universe stories were set into. There is not much to add, just hire good writers (I am not a believer in collaborative writing, or painting for that matter).

Link can be a female when Samus can be a male.
Isn't Samus more masculine than Link to begin with?... the end of the first Metroid game would be way less entertaining for a 10 years old now!

Famitsu when they first saw the original Link DID think that he was a girl.
Hmm, well to be fair I found out a long long time later that you did not play as Zelda (I did not know how to read English when I played Zelda as a kid, I mean, I had to look in the English/French dictionary to figure out what North, West, South, West meant....).

But Famitsu made us some Sexy Zelda images right there, so I agree with that interpretation of a female Link.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Link can be a female when Samus can be a male.

Samus was male

This is copied directly from the manual that came with the nes version of metroid.

●●●

As a last resort, the Federation Police have decided on this strategy to send a space hunter to penetrate the center of the fortress and destroy the Mother Brain. The space hunter chosen for this mission is Samus Aran. He is the greatest of all the space hunturs and has successfully completed numerous missions that everybody thought were absolutely impossible. He is a cyborg his entire body has been surgically strengthened with robotics, giving him superpowers. Even the space pirates fear his space suit, which can absorb any enemy's power. But his true form is shrouded in mystery.

●●●

Banned
Famitsu when they first saw the original Link DID think that he was a girl.

bEQuLao.jpg

5Ljr6Zs.jpg

67Q77Oh.jpg

BsLGEcK.jpg

hkQIfTv.jpg

Would make sense for a Lady Elf to save her sisterhood in this case. :LOL:

daaaaaamn, Famitsu with some vintage trap art

are these images made by someone at Famitsu or are these og artworks from Nintendo?
if it is the latter then we know the kink of the artist lol

Mato

Oh this argument again. I recall how bad the situation was in the months leading to BOTW's reveal at E3 2016. Every discussion here would be reduced into endless gender talks because of a few annoying members who would hijack Zelda threads. After this failed to materialize someone tried campaigning for a black Samus but that didn't go places either.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I remember a feminist critizing Zelda. She literally said "I wish they would make Zelda a girl once". You dont have to be creative to know what happened after.

I believe instead of turning every major franchise into a girl is the wrong approach but creating a Zelda Spinoff where you actually play as Zelda would be real good i guess. You can switch between Sheikh and Zelda with different fighting styles.
(Zelda - Long Range, Magic, Sheikh - Close Combat).

You can easily create a story where the hero of time is trapped in a time space and Zelda has to save him. Like finding the ancient guardians and bestow them with your blessings of the triforce. Or just a story where Zelda has to survive a specific amount of time (like Majoras Mask) and escapes to the Shiehka tribe.

Or just create a Zelda Spinoff where you play as Midna.... it would really love it. Midna was a great character with another parallel universum between light and dark.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Redeeming letter posters is going to be easy with you consistently posting threads like this.

I get that you want to make it as a troll OP, but you need to work on your subtlety a bit. Have people second guessing whether or not you're being genuine. Otherwise instead of being a shitposter, you're just being a shit poster.

Psychostar

The real question is, why does Link need to be female? Just make an original female character who everyone can enjoy. Last I heard characters like Chun Li, Lara Croft, Claire Redfield, Ellie from The Last of Us and Samus Aran were a big hit with gamers.

Changing the gender of an established character like Link reeks of appeasement of hardline feminists who've probably never played a game in their life. Why should developers bend the knee to make them happy?
Don't forget Aloy from HZD ;). Fully agree with you!

Top Bottom