• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 93 - 12/30/2011

Salaadin

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

Weekend Confirmed wraps up 2011 and rings in 2012 with a New Year's special. Andrea Rene of Clevver Games and Ariel Angelotti join Xav, Jeff, and Garnett for a recap of the many games that became somewhat hidden gems in the shadow of the heavyweights. It's filled with titles like Bulletstorm, Alice: Madness Returns, LA Noire, and infamous 2. Of course, the big games get their due as well, and the group discusses the biggest stories of the year like the hacker attack that took the PlayStation Network offline for weeks and the launch of Nintendo's newest handheld, the 3DS. And we couldn't resist topping it all off with a few thoughts on what may lay ahead in 2012

Show Breakdown:

Round 1 00:00:00 to 00:25:54
Whatcha Been Playing Part 1 00:26:26 to 00:52:00
Whatcha Been Playing Part 2 00:53:02 to 01:22:25
Listener Feedback/Front Page News 01:23:17 to 02:00:46

Direct Link: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/cf.shacknews.com/podcast/wknd_confirmed_123011_93.mp3
iTunes: http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=364678400
Zune: http://social.zune.net/podcast/Week...ame-Show/bab7979a-dc59-4799-91c2-9149b4b6ee5a
RSS: http://www.shacknews.com/extras/podcast/weekendconfirmed.xml

While I haven't listened to this podcast in a few months, I saw an infomercial (I think?) for Gamefly with Garnett and Andrea hosting, and it was a half hour long. So I think she may be part of this team now and be getting closer to becoming a regular...

FStop7

Banned
While I haven't listened to this podcast in a few months, I saw an infomercial (I think?) for Gamefly with Garnett and Andrea hosting, and it was a half hour long. So I think she may be part of this team now and be close to being a regular...

I'm pretty sure she works for Shack or Gamefly now, I think a comment about that was made during last week's podcast.

Osietra

Banned
While I haven't listened to this podcast in a few months, I saw an infomercial (I think?) for Gamefly with Garnett and Andrea hosting, and it was a half hour long. So I think she may be part of this team now and be close to being a regular...

....from Garnets General Lee amirite? His pistons are if nothing else, lubed with metaphorical repleteness.

GhaleonQ

somewhat hidden gems in the shadow of the heavyweights. It's filled with titles like Bulletstorm, Alice: Madness Returns, LA Noire, and infamous 2.

dot dot dot

And this is the point where I check out of video game podcasts until mid-January! Farewell!

Grisby

Weekend Yearfirmed (I got nothin but I'm still gonna try dammit).

I'll be listening after the GB podcast. Looking forward to it because I really liked last weeks episode.

Osietra

Banned
If Andrea is going to be part of the regular crew, then I'm afraid I'm may just be TRS and Bombcasting from now on.

I like Garnet, Xav and Jeff and like their dynamic really, with the excellent Matas and Bhammer from time to time to add their twist. But those key three are the reason i listen, so I may have to dip in and out from now on.

Cheers for the effort and hope everyone there has a good NYE!

Nizz

Nice. Just downloaded it and will listen tonight. Have a Happy New Year, Weekend Confirmed crew. :)

If Andrea is going to be part of the regular crew, then I'm afraid I'm may just be TRS and Bombcasting from now on.

I like Garnet, Xav and Jeff and like their dynamic really, with the excellent Matas and Bhammer from time to time to add their twist. But those key three are the reason i listen, so I may have to dip in and out from now on.

Cheers for the effort and hope everyone there has a good NYE!

These are my sentiments almost exactly. Weekend Confirmed is my favorite podcast when Andrea is not on. Shane, Indie Jeff, Billy, Christian Spicer... just please, PLEASE no more Andrea.

Ariel is cool though... and James Stevenson was awesome too.

theRizzle

For me, Weekend Confirmedhas become the only podcast that has gone from a regular listen to something I care basically nothing about, and that kind of bums me out. I really like Jeff and love Garnett the way I love my stupid friends, but I REALLY dislike the majority of people they get as a 3rd and 4th chair. Xav drives me completely insane, and I didn't mind Andrea the first couple of times she was on, but now I have really come to dislike her also.

Billy is the best guest they have, but he is on far too infrequently. I would even take Spicer over the rest of the regular guests.

These are my sentiments almost exactly. Weekend Confirmed is my favorite podcast when Andrea is not on. Shane, Indie Jeff, Billy, Christian Spicer... just please, PLEASE no more Andrea.

Ariel is cool though... and James Stevenson was awesome too.

I've done Spicer a diservice too as I didnt mention him above and I've come to enjoy his appearances on the show (excePt for THAT song).

Still don't get the Andrea hate. I think she is infinitely more listenable than Canatta (don't care how it's spelt) stuttering, bumbling and over enunciating his way through sentences. And using "dude" and "awesome" far more than any grown man should. I'm amazed he doesn't do a Bill and Ted air guitar move after every "that....game....was....AWESOME" sentence that he throws out.

I can't listen any more.

Riposte

On LA Noire: Jeff should play the Ace Attorney series. Better execution on the "questioning" concept and adventure gaming altogether. Seriously, not making a joke here. (Reading faces is a bit overstated, though that is also in AA to some extent.)

Catherine: puzzle game doesn't need defending. It is great and actually challenging. It isn't throwing softballs in bite-sized throw away puzzles. However, challenge is a bad thing. It would have been more successful among critics if it only gave the illusion of difficulty(way more checkpoints for one thing).

EDIT: Always find it funny that "moment to moment gameplay" being unsatisfactory isn't enough to fully diminish a game. "Playing the game isn't very good, but its a good game".

EDIT: Everyone can/should play Portal 2 unless they are vulnerable adopted children lol

mik

mik is unbeatable
"Lara Croft used to be like a superhero and they made her a sissy!"

Does Andrea actually not understand that it's an origin story, with a teenage Lara--before she was an über badass?

Mrbob

Off topic, yet slightly on topic I received a Roku XS streaming puck as a gift and the thing is amazing. I can't believe how many streaming channels are available. I saw Revision 3 had a channel and inside the channel is the Totally Rad Show. I remembered Jeff saying he was on this show, saw his GOTY choices for movies and tv shows (snubbing Happy Endings like that, really?), and will continue to watch the show on my Roku!

Platinum games has me sold on MGS Rising. Bayonetta is great, and Vanquish is cool too. Can't say I'm excited about Binary Domain. Competitive multi is just not something I'm interested in very much in gaming anymore.

Oh and Garnett my curse of the Cowboys started last week when Romo went down and the team got embarrassed again against the Eagles! I'm going to enjoy watching Romo come up short one more time in a big game Sunday Night!

Neifirst

I like how they began to lament the overlooking of Infamous 2, and then three seconds in, Garnett derails it into rehashing the failures of Little Big Planet 2. Infamous gets overlooked even when the discussion is about it being overlooked!

Ricker

Was it Xav that again commented(right at the beginning of the show) that he liked everything about Alice Madness Returns,besides the gameplay?...I don't understand that at all...the controls are dead on,once you get use to the quirky autolock thing in some combats,the controls,precision jumping and floating where great and battles against different type of ennemies at once was fantastic,even the sliding sections where great...I wasn't crazy about some of the sidescrolling parts near the end but overall gameplay was perfect.

ArjanN

"Lara Croft used to be like a superhero and they made her a sissy!"

Does Andrea actually not understand that it's an origin story, with a teenage Lara--before she was an über badass?

Not to mention that it's a fairly obvious setup for her to become a badass during the game.

I think it's just more of a John McClane-like take on the character rather than her being some sort of invincible superhero.

Jeff said Homefront was a good game...he really does like everything.

Homefront wasn't even that bad on PC, just pretty average.
He mentions not liking Prototype (2), and I think he didn't care much for Saint's Row the 3rd either.

Nice to hear Garnett wants to play Witcher 2 and Darksiders. Let's see if it ever happens. :p

LiK

Just started listening...

Only Xav played Alice: Madness Returns? Shame, I really liked it. Combat was great and platforming actually required skill. The story was also super dark and disturbing which worked for the game.

Glad they spent some time pimping Bulletstorm tho. Fantastic shooter and pretty funny as well.

Thanks to Xav for semi-defending the Dead Space series. Too many haters in the room. The DS series has some of the finest shooting controls and some amazing sequences. DS2 was even more epic but it's too bad most of them didn't play enough to see them. Did Garnett play DS2? I know he didn't finish the first one.

I went back and listened to last year's end of the year special. Man; Garnett, Jeff, Shane and Brian... now that was a podcast! What a difference a year makes. Brian is gone and Shane has been swallowed up by Sony. We miss you guys!

Pretty weak on the predictions last year, nothing to point and laugh at (same as this year too... go out on a limb guys!). Actually listening to last year's show makes me realize how boring and predictiable 2011 was. Pretty much everything they expected to like they did and everything that they expected to disappoint did. Only things of note was Jeff having no excitement for Rage and poor Shane hoping The Last Guardian and Verses XIII would hit this year

I hope 2012 holds some suprises... you know, other then networks getting hacked, losing my personal information and shutting down for a month and the game of the year not acually working on all the platforms its sold on.

Jharp

Holy hell it's refreshing to see I'm not the only one who can't fucking stand Andrea. She adds nothing to any conversation, she just sits there and spouts out a nonlinear series of thoughts and basic fundamental arguments that have been covered in the conversation up to that point, and why the hell doe she feel the need to preface every single fucking sentence with "I think." Angela, we're all adults, the fact that what you're saying is your opinion and not objective fact is already assumed.

I feel like I'm listening to a child speak, and it makes it really goddamn hard to take any of her opinions on gender seriously when she's so poorly spoken. Christian, Xav, Jeff, Garnett, and I am warming up to Ariel, but my GOD can we please stop bringing Angela into discussions she adds nothing to? It's okay guys, I really wouldn't mind listening to a great hour podcast rather than a decent two hour podcast with all that annoying padding from her.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Holy hell it's refreshing to see I'm not the only one who can't fucking stand Andrea. She adds nothing to any conversation, she just sits there and spouts out a nonlinear series of thoughts and basic fundamental arguments that have been covered in the conversation up to that point, and why the hell doe she feel the need to preface every single fucking sentence with "I think." Angela, we're all adults, the fact that what you're saying is your opinion and not objective fact is already assumed.

I feel like I'm listening to a child speak, and it makes it really goddamn hard to take any of her opinions on gender seriously when she's so poorly spoken. Christian, Xav, Jeff, Garnett, and I am warming up to Ariel, but my GOD can we please stop bringing Angela into discussions she adds nothing to? It's okay guys, I really wouldn't mind listening to a great hour podcast rather than a decent two hour podcast with all that annoying padding from her.

I don't feel as strongly as you do about Andrea, but I did notice on this episode that everything she said sounded like a superficial rundown of the bullet point features of a game, and then she said whether she liked the game or not, and that was the extent of her insight and commentary. She didn't strike me as particularly inarticulate or nonlinear, it was just that what she articulated wasn't very thoughtful.

LiK

Who's Angela?

Curufinwe

Kind of funny that Jeff and Garnett loved the shooting in Alan Wake but don't care for Dead Space 2 which works significantly better as a third-person shooter.

Shapingo

I love how when they were talking about possible big 2012 releases no one mentioned VersusXIII. I guess it has faded out of everyone's mind.

Andrea is no where near as horrible as some of you make her out to be.

I'd want to see a Gaf's most hated Podcast with Arthur Gies, Leigh Alexander, Andrea, and Morgan Webb. (are there any women that gaf likes in a podcast?)

Goldmund

I love how when they were talking about possible big 2012 releases no one mentioned VersusXIII. I guess it has faded out of everyone's mind.

I'd want to see a Gaf's most hated Podcast with Arthur Gies, Leigh Alexander, Andrea, and Morgan Webb. (are there any women that gaf likes in a podcast?)
After listening to too many podcasts involving mentioned personnel, gaf left our community and never returned, :(

Theres not a gaffer posting who doesn't love Kat Bailey and her podcasts. RIP Role Players Realm and Active Time Babble. I'll throw out Lara Crigger as well

Arthur and Leigh would actually be a pretty good podcast now that I think about it....

Neifirst

Speaking of Kat, has there been any update on where she'll surface next? I seem to remember news that Role Players Realm would show up elsewhere in 2012.

Top Bottom