• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 93 - 12/30/2011

Speaking of Kat, has there been any update on where she'll surface next? I seem to remember news that Role Players Realm would show up elsewhere in 2012.

I haven't seen anything. Its actually a pretty stacked quarter for RPGs so I hope she brings the podcast back in some form. XIII-2, Graces F, Abyss, Reckoning, Mass Effect... maybe Ninokuni hits this quarter too and I'm probably forgetting a few

Nizz

Just started listening...

Only Xav played Alice: Madness Returns? Shame, I really liked it. Combat was great and platforming actually required skill. The story was also super dark and disturbing which worked for the game.

Glad they spent some time pimping Bulletstorm tho. Fantastic shooter and pretty funny as well.

Thanks to Xav for semi-defending the Dead Space series. Too many haters in the room. The DS series has some of the finest shooting controls and some amazing sequences. DS2 was even more epic but it's too bad most of them didn't play enough to see them. Did Garnett play DS2? I know he didn't finish the first one.
I can't get how almost no one on the podcast digs the Dead Space series. Great atmosphere, brilliant UI, smooth controls (especially part two), great gameplay. You did sort of feel like a handyman a bit in part one having to repair this, take care of that. But it was so well done and the tension I felt in that game was something I hadn't felt in a long time. DS1 ended up being my favorite game of 08.

DS2 took everything and turned it up a notch. While I missed the isolation/tension of the first game it was still a great game on its own. Really like the Dead Space series.

As far as Andrea, I'm indifferent. She doesn't offend/bother me being on the show but she doesn't add significantly either. It's sort of like she's just there, you know. I don't hate the girl or have any ill will towards her at all. She seems like a cool person to hang out with in person.

Blazyr

You guys are really laying in to Andrea. I wouldn't try to tell you who to listen to, agree with, etc. but seriously, it feels like it's taken on a life of its own and grown to be more than just a differing opinion.

Witcher 2 is definitely happening; Darksiders, much as wish it were otherwise, is an outside shot.

Salaadin

I can't get how almost no one on the podcast digs the Dead Space series. Great atmosphere, brilliant UI, smooth controls (especially part two), great gameplay. You did sort of feel like a handyman a bit in part one having to repair this, take care of that. But it was so well done and the tension I felt in that game was something I hadn't felt in a long time. DS1 ended up being my favorite game of 08.

DS2 took everything and turned it up a notch. While I missed the isolation/tension of the first game it was still a great game on its own. Really like the Dead Space series.

As far as Andrea, I'm indifferent. She doesn't offend/bother me being on the show but she doesn't add significantly either. It's sort of like she's just there, you know. I don't hate the girl or have any ill will towards her at all. She seems like a cool person to hang out with in person.

Agreed on everything. I love the Dead Space series. First game ended up being one of my favorites and the only game I ever bought from gamefly. I rented it and just couldnt send it back because I loved it so much. Dead Space 2 was the first really great game I played this year. It pretty much kicked off an awesome 2011 for gaming, imo.

Im not sure that I get the Andrea hate. Shes not my favorite on the show by any means but I also dont feel like she ever brings it down. She says some things that I dont like and dont agree with but so does everyone else. To stop listening to the entire show because of one person just strikes me as odd. To each their own, I guess.

Im still pretty new to the show yet and dont know everyones names but I pretty much like all of them. HEYOOOO

Jeff's Skyrim rant was great, I think he's the first journalist that really gets why people are bitching and the whole conundrum of enjoying the game so much but understanding that awarding the developer is giving them a pass also.

Curufinwe

Theres not a gaffer posting who doesn't love Kat Bailey and her podcasts. RIP Role Players Realm and Active Time Babble. I'll throw out Lara Crigger as well

Lara "Dragon Age 2 is my Game of The Year" Crigger? I enjoy listening to her when she's on the GWJ podcast, but come on.

Speaking of Kat, has there been any update on where she'll surface next? I seem to remember news that Role Players Realm would show up elsewhere in 2012.

Last tweet I saw from her she was enjoying New Year's Eve in Florence.

Jharp

Yeah, Lara is a bit obnoxious too, for the same reason Andrea is. Maybe not quite as bad, but they're both the worst parts of their respective podcasts, and both happen to be whiny obnoxious females.

Sexist as I probably sound, I really don't mind women talking about games. Kat Baiely is a boss, Ariel is cool, and I'm not only a fan, but I've even met Dana Jongewaard. Of course, I do feel a bit sexist having to qualify this, so maybe I am. Andrea and Lara are both still intolerable.

Nizz

Agreed on everything. I love the Dead Space series. First game ended up being one of my favorites and the only game I ever bought from gamefly. I rented it and just couldnt send it back because I loved it so much. Dead Space 2 was the first really great game I played this year. It pretty much kicked off an awesome 2011 for gaming, imo.

Im not sure that I get the Andrea hate. Shes not my favorite on the show by any means but I also dont feel like she ever brings it down. She says some things that I dont like and dont agree with but so does everyone else. To stop listening to the entire show because of one person just strikes me as odd. To each their own, I guess.

Im still pretty new to the show yet and dont know everyones names but I pretty much like all of them. HEYOOOO
Agree. Like I said before, I don't hate the girl but I'm kind of so-so about her on the show. I've heard far worse though *cough Leigh Alexander cough* on other podcasts. I still very much so like to listen to Weekend Confirmed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah, Lara is a bit obnoxious too, for the same reason Andrea is. Maybe not quite as bad, but they're both the worst parts of their respective podcasts, and both happen to be whiny obnoxious females.

Sexist as I probably sound, I really don't mind women talking about games. Kat Baiely is a boss, Ariel is cool, and I'm not only a fan, but I've even met Dana Jongewaard. Of course, I do feel a bit sexist having to qualify this, so maybe I am. Andrea and Lara are both still intolerable.

Why not just say the things you don't like about her without bringing her gender into it at all?

IMACOMPUTA

Regarding Andrea : I can't shake the feeling that she just doesn't know what the f she's talking about. Almost everything she says leaves me shaking my head and feeling like I'm being bullshitted. She has an extremely civilian perspective on everything and rarely an original thought.

On the other hand, Ariel is great.
Its almost as if Andrea tries too hard to sound like she knows her shit, but has no clue.

I really miss Brian.

Flavius

Kind of funny that Jeff and Garnett loved the shooting in Alan Wake but don't care for Dead Space 2 which works significantly better as a third-person shooter.

Haven't listened yet, but if that's an accurate summary of their opinions expressed on the podcast, then holy frijoles...I'm with you...funny, and kind of nonsensical. ;)

Misogynist GAF rearing their potato heads again, and waving their arms in a panicky fashion because Andrea's on?

Nnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaah, that's unpossible!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For the random female game journalist thing, I'll through out Sophia Tong, although she moved over to TalkRadar and I have no idea if she podcasts for them. GS has Carolyn, who is cool as well.

chixdiggit

Agree. Like I said before, I don't hate the girl but I'm kind of so-so about her on the show.
The only thing I hate about her being on the show is that Garnett and Jeff are constantly interrupting her with sexual jokes no matter what she says. Something that should take her 5 seconds to say often takes much longer due to the constant interrupting. Though this show seems much better in that regard (listened to first hour). Maybe she would have better things to say if taken more seriously by the other members of the podcast.

Conversations with Andrea seem to go like this:
Andrea: "Bulletstorm is great, but it could be longer"
Garnett: "Hoho I bet you would like it long"
Jeff: "Ha ha oh man Garnett put a quarter in the Jar"
Andrea: "Well it just seems that right when it starts to get fun its all over"
Jeff: "haha oh man, That's what she said"
Garnett: "hoho and you guys call me the pig, haha"
Andrea: "But I really liked how you could use the whip to.."
Jeff: "Oh man, like S and M? haha"
Garnett: "Girl, likes her some whip haha"
and so on and so on.

I'm not saying Jeff and Garnett (Xav seems to be more of a gentleman) should stop joking around but they seem to turn it up to eleven when Andrea is present.

Massa

You guys are really laying in to Andrea. I wouldn't try to tell you who to listen to, agree with, etc. but seriously, it feels like it's taken on a life of its own and grown to be more than just a differing opinion.

It's been like that with the Bombcast as well. You can't have a thread without some people jumping in just to bring up how much they hate Alex, Patrick or one of the interns; even Brad was frustrated with all the shit he was getting in one of the recent threads.

chixdiggit

Well I have to pretty much go back on what I said in the post above. Garnett and Jeff did a pretty good job of letting the ladies speak.

Great episode over all. I liked the buying or crying and 2012 GOTY ballot.

I keep changing my mind about this show. Some weeks I'm okay with the cast, other times I feel like it's only my love for Garnett that keeps me listening.

The last few weeks have been so bad. I don't want to stop listening because sometimes it's really good and I want some Garnett in my life every week, but urgh, some of the conversations the rest of the cast have just do my head in. I'm not sure how much more tolerance I have for 90% of the guests on the show.

Basically, can we get Garnett some good personalities to do his show justice? Cheers.

I know this sounds like a troll post but it's just my honest feelings. Garnett does great work and I don't want to give up on that.

I was surprised to hear the indifference about Lollipop Chainsaw. Did no one play the genius that was Shadows of the Damned? This is Suda 51 we're talking about, so I would think people in the know would be excited about it at least for the craziness/humor factor if not the gameplay itself.

This show really fell off. Twice now recently there weren't even threads created for it on Friday.

I know what you mean. I could come up with reasons why but I'd just be retreading old ground.

I'll be listening to the latest one on my drive tomorrow. I think it's got someone promoting kingdoms of Amalor on it, could be good.

FStop7

Banned
The show didn't really fall off at all. It's as good as ever IMO. Listening to the one from this week right now.

To clarify: I don't think the show fell off per se in terms of having gotten worse, but its following on here seems to have largely disappeared.

The show itself seems to be pretty consistent in its tone.

Massa

To clarify: I don't think the show fell off per se in terms of having gotten worse, but its following on here seems to have largely disappeared.

The show itself seems to be pretty consistent in its tone.

For me anyway, the threads on GAF have always been shit. Discussion on the topics of the actual episodes lose space to the usual bitching about the same thing over and over again.

That's the reason I don't even bother creating threads for new episodes, I still enjoy the show as much as I always have.

Flavius

Wish these guys nothing but success. Garnett & company have been providing me with quality entertainment for well over half a decade now...

But...dun-dun-dun...

While the tone is consistent, the quality of conversation is all over the place, and has been for quite some time now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...but only because I give a fuck.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I'd make the thread weekly if I could. Garnett is one of my favorite guys in games journalism and they deserve all the exposure they can get, regardless of shitty arguments that surface.

(are there any women that gaf likes in a podcast?)

* Kat Bailey

* Ariel Angelotti (Spelling?)

* There are two ladies that sometimes appear on The Player One podcast

There's not a tonne, but there's not exactly a tonne that are on gaming enthusiast podcasts.

The aforementioned ladies sound like gaming enthusiasts that also happen to be women.

Andrea Rene sounds like a girl/woman that talks about games because it's her job...and she's not particularly great at that aspect of her job. For me, it feels like the only thing she can contribute to a discussion is the obviously feminine point of view on gaming.

When Ariel says something...I listen and I retain what she says.

When Andrea says something...I roll my eyes. There ARE gaming enthusiasts out there that ARE women. There must be one on the west coast that Gamefly can force Garnett to have on the show other than Andrea and contribute.

I like Hiroko on 8-4 Play.

Because she never talks and submits to Mark's dominating personality!?! Why you got to be so misogynistic Neuromancer!
obviously I'm joking, I like everyone on 8-4

Also KAT WATCH 2012 is in full effect right now. There damn well better be a thread the second she gets a new podcast out

I think we should have a megathread. That way I can subscribe to it and see the thread bumps for discussion. I think it works a lot better actually.

They don't slip into monotone PR speak in this one. Much better listening.

She needs to be more brave. I think she has way more to contribute than she does.

She's got her own mic now! Either that or back to Zul Hiroko.

Because she never talks and submits to Mark's dominating personality!?! Why you got to be so misogynistic Neuromancer!
obviously I'm joking, I like everyone on 8-4

Also KAT WATCH 2012 is in full effect right now. There damn well better be a thread the second she gets a new podcast out

I got my ear to the ground.

LQX

The latest episode of weekend confirmed is is not even worth a thread. Fucking terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible. Its like they got these guys from the marketing department of the game they were promoting. They make games but you get the feeling they don't play many games.

Early on one of the guys calls himself a genius, and you would think this is set up for joke or something but he was dead serious. And then there is 360 controller moment which was reminiscent of the giant enemy crab moment from E3 where the guy thought real time weapon switching was new to the world. I would have rather 3 Xavs hosting and Delrio rapping.

Grisby

I like Hiroko on 8-4 Play.
Granted I've only listen to about 10 shows or so but she barely, if ever, said anything in the shows I was listening to.

She sounds nice, but yeah she needs to speak up.

Haven't had much to say on the last 2 WC shows, I've enjoyed both though.

DaBuddaDa

Early on one of the guys calls himself a genius, and you would think this is set up for joke or something but he was dead serious.

The self deprecating sarcasm was lost on you I guess. He was joking.

How can you possibly take this man seriously:

Saint_Ken_480_x_480.jpg

So has Weekend Confirmed been downgraded to a mega thread now? I suppose it makes sense.

I don't listen to the show any more but if I notice it on shack and it isn't on GAF yet, I make one.

LQX

The self deprecating sarcasm was lost on you I guess. He was joking.

How can you possibly take this man seriously:

Saint_Ken_480_x_480.jpg

If that was sarcasm, tell him it does not translate well over a podcast. I dunno he just came off as anomaly on the show. For a moment Garnette even tried to get deep and eloquent. That tells you something is wrong.

DaBuddaDa

If that was sarcasm, tell him it does not translate well over a podcast. I dunno he just came off as anomaly on the show. For a moment Garnette even tried to get deep and eloquent. That tells you something is wrong.

He is an anomaly! He's not your average caucasian 30-something dork like 99% of the game development community. He's an eccentric old academic who only recently (relatively) begun experimenting with video games.

Darkkn

Love the podcast overall, but this latest episode was pretty awful. I don't want to listen developers on their marketing tour on Confirmed. These Amalur guys were pretty much in every podcast last week, sigh... It's annoying that discussions always segways to Amalur.. Rather do a separate audio interview and not include that shit in proper WC.

Devs are okay in podcasts, but only when they are not on marketing tour.

T-Matt

I found this latest episode incredibly boring. My interest in Amalur didn't really help me get through this banal podcast. Not to be "that guy" but it was the first weekend confirmed I couldn't finish listening to, just too boring.

Top Bottom