• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Magazine Dirty News (Squeenix loves PSP, EGM was right!)

Fady K

Woah, this is the biggest insult to a Sony machine from Square-Enix. So on the 20th anniversary of the FF series, they give PSP owners ANOTHER freakin PORT of a GAMEBOY ADVANCE game sold SEPERATELY while the GBA had BOTH! This is MESSED UP.

They give the DS FFIII and XII: RW and even DQIX but for PSP they give another damn port.

If this is how you're going to keep treating the PSP Square-Enix, then screw you. Crisis Core is probably the only thing you'll ever give the PSP thats not a port. And I seriously hope thats not how its going to be.

And WOAH GTA:SA got a 38/40 :D
and nice score for Hotel Dusk, cant believe it scored less than TRACE MEMORY though - by 2 points :/ I still expect Hotel Dusk to be a lot better.

Amir0x said:
Well, I'm not sure what you mean in the context of the Metal Gear example. So do you agree that there is a difference between people just disliking a genre because it doesn't appeal to them (such as Metal Gear, since you're no fan of stealth games), and people disliking a particular game in a genre because it has a lot of mechanics that are lame to them?

In the ladder example, why should people have to say "Oh yeah it's great, but I didn't enjoy it"? There are people who enjoy everything, so where is the line that says 'this is genuinely great, but I didn't enjoy it' or 'this is a shitty game, but some people still happen to like it'? This in of itself is a subjective decision, of course.

Why, I was voted one of the top posters of 2006 in that GAF thread! :lol More seriously, nobody is forced to read and everyone is welcomed to participate if they like. Up to them, naturally :)

QFT

klee123 said:
same reason why 360 owners hopes big third party PS3 games to be ported to their system.

Agreed

Segata Sanshiro said:
That's the kind of logic blind loyalty buys you.

Thats true.

duckroll said:
Why are you up at 4am posting on GAF? It's not healthy!

True again

Pureauthor said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX for the DS... in 2D.

And while we're at it, I want a pet dragon.

Id like all those for the PSP. Id take the Pet Dragon on the DS though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mr. Pointy said:
Watch as the DS gets FFX-3 or something just as ridiculous to follow up FFXII: RW.

if ffx-3 = ff7 port ...then yes :D

fushi

jj posted these before but it seems as if most of you didn't notice...

GTA San Andreas (PS2, Capcom): 9 / 10 / 9 / 10 - (38/40)
FlatOut 2 GTR (PS2, Konami): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Kujibiki Unbalance (PS2, Marvelous): 5 / 5 / 5 / 5 - (20/40)
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2007 (PS2, THQ): 7 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Vampire's Rain (Xbox 360, AQ Interactive): 7 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (30/40)
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2007 (Xbox 360, THQ): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
The Idol Master (Xbox 360, Bandai Namco): 6 / 7 / 7 / 6 - (26/40)
The Godfather (Xbox 360, EA): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Lost Regnum: Makutsu no Koutei (PSP, Ertain): 7 / 6 / 7 / 6 - (26/40)
San Goku Shi Taisen DS (NDS, Sega): 7 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Wish Room: Tenshi no Kioku [Hotel Dusk: Room 215] (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 7 / 9 / 8 - (33/40)

source: GameFront

dili

Fady K said:
Woah, this is the biggest insult to a Sony machine from Square-Enix. So on the 20th anniversary of the FF series, they give PSP owners ANOTHER freakin PORT of a GAMEBOY ADVANCE game sold SEPERATELY while the GBA had BOTH! This is MESSED UP.

They give the DS FFIII and XII: RW and even DQIX but for PSP they give another damn port.

If this is how you're going to keep treating the PSP Square-Enix, then screw you. Crisis Core is probably the only thing you'll ever give the PSP thats not a port. And I seriously hope thats not how its going to be.
You tell em little master.

I hoped for a minute that this would have the new dungeons and stuff from the GBA versions without the dumbing down of those version, but doesn't look like it. At 20, FF1 really should've outgrown its adolescent flirtation with MP. =(

justchris

Pureauthor said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX for the DS... in 2D.

And while we're at it, I want a pet dragon.

I would so buy every one of those.

Including the dragon.

zallaaa

but, if THAT is love (kind of, in my opinion...), what about Heroes of Mana, Revenant Wings, Professor Layton, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest Monster: Joker, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, FF: Rings of Fate, It's a Wonderful World, on the DS? Worship at least I'll say :D

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
By the way, I bet this means they'll port FF3DS to PSP as well. I hope the PSP's speed allows for battles with more than three enemies this time.

How on EARTH does one arrive at this conclusion based on this news?

Counting?

Wait, you are telling me, that because we have ports of FFI and FFII going to the PSP, we're going to see FFIII + on it?

Sure worked out for the GBA, Wonderswan, et al, huh?

SE is already using the money they made from FFIIIDS to roll cigars and smoke 'em at the big parties they hold with Nintendo over the DQIX announcement. I doubt they'll bother - especially to the extent that they'll rebalance the game again for more enemies onscreen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
By the way, I bet this means they'll port FF3DS to PSP as well. I hope the PSP's speed allows for battles with more than three enemies this time.

ehm...no

That's an exception as it had never been ported/remade before (and the FC code wasn't any help). GBA did get 4-6.

edit: I admit the more enemies bit is probably just wishful thinking

Cheerilee

Avalon said:
Before I forget... Where the hell did this term come from? I hear it all the time but I don't know what it means. :(
From Kaz Hirai back in Jan 2005.

"Some have said that the PSP is our answer to the (Nintendo) Game Boy. Well, here’s how we view the world: PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto, and Sony is the only company that can do it. We happily accept this challenge and, dare I say it, the baton has been passed."

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
fushi said:
jj posted these before but it seems as if most of you didn't notice...

GTA San Andreas (PS2, Capcom): 9 / 10 / 9 / 10 - (38/40)
FlatOut 2 GTR (PS2, Konami): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Kujibiki Unbalance (PS2, Marvelous): 5 / 5 / 5 / 5 - (20/40)
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2007 (PS2, THQ): 7 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Vampire's Rain (Xbox 360, AQ Interactive): 7 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (30/40)
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2007 (Xbox 360, THQ): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
The Idol Master (Xbox 360, Bandai Namco): 6 / 7 / 7 / 6 - (26/40)
The Godfather (Xbox 360, EA): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Lost Regnum: Makutsu no Koutei (PSP, Ertain): 7 / 6 / 7 / 6 - (26/40)
San Goku Shi Taisen DS (NDS, Sega): 7 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Wish Room: Tenshi no Kioku [Hotel Dusk: Room 215] (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 7 / 9 / 8 - (33/40)

source: GameFront

So going by what we know about Famitsu review "policy", do they think San Andreas will sell well in Japan?

RyuHayate

ruby_onix said:
From Kaz Hirai back in Jan 2005.

"Some have said that the PSP is our answer to the (Nintendo) Game Boy. Well, here’s how we view the world: PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto, and Sony is the only company that can do it. We happily accept this challenge and, dare I say it, the baton has been passed."

Funny, I didn't know portable gaming was in one : /

u_neek

TTP said:
So going by what we know about Famitsu review "policy", do they think San Andreas will sell well in Japan?
GTA3 and Vice City did quite well - dont have any numbers tho..

Fady K said:

And WOAH GTA:SA got a 38/40 :D
and nice score for Hotel Dusk, cant believe it scored less than TRACE MEMORY though - by 2 points :/ I still expect Hotel Dusk to be a lot better.

QFT

Agreed

Thats true.

True again

Id like all those for the PSP. Id take the Pet Dragon on the DS though.
QFT. I really wished Square Enix just put together FFI-VI together, in a classical compilation (not really enhancing). IMO, that would have been better.
Amir0x said:
nah SquareEnix really sucks these days, with or without PSP. I mean, they may occasionally release an FFXII... but mostly it's filled with crap like FFIII and Samurai Musashi Legends. Mostly. I guess DQ8 can be counted too as a good title.
I actually enjoyed Musashi: Samurai Legend to an extent. Not perfect, but still fun, kind of like FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus.

ssoass

I don't know how the hell Balthier ended up in FFT, but he looks awesome.
I want a true FFXII-2 sequel on PS2 with Balthier in that outfit.
But still, I can't figure out why the hell he's in FFT... even if it's the same world as FFXII, the two games obviously take place during extremely different eras. (No airships whatsoever in FFT vs Airships abound absolutely everywhere in FFXII)

Chrono

Banned
duckroll said:

The O is looking hot! :D

Why the hell do those jpn scanners think any use of these scans outside of japan is an assault on japanese honor or something? Is it just their racist/superiority complex (or probably compensation to their inferiority complex, looking at their obsession with western culture) make them erupt in rage when something that is 'meant' for JAPAN ONLY is enjoyed by someone else? WTF?

Kafel

Banned
So FF1&2 are basically the ones released on GBA but with graphics slightly improved for the 10 years birthday of Final Fantasy ?

It sucks.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
duckroll said:
New Musou - PS2
The mysterious new Musou game for the PS2 is still on a hypetrain. No title, no details, but a new ad is in Famitsu. This time it shows a giant sickle.

I've only skimmed this thread so this may have already been mentioned but this tidbit makes me wonder if the new musou game is Soul Calibur Musou. The fact that Koei is already teaming up with Namco-Bandai for the Gundam game and the fact that one of the SC characters (Zasalamel) uses a sickle has me thinking this. Plus having the Soul Calibur characters appear in a Dynasty Warriors type game seems like a good fit. Most if not all of them would blend right in.

duckroll

Baron Aloha said:
I've only skimmed this thread so this may have already been mentioned but this tidbit makes me wonder if the new musou game is Soul Calibur Musou. The fact that Koei is already teaming up with Namco-Bandai for the Gundam game and the fact that one of the SC characters (Zasalamel) uses a sickle has me thinking this. Plus having the Soul Calibur characters appear in a Dynasty Warriors type game seems like a good fit. Most if not all of them would blend right in.

Considering Koei is publishing this themselves, I highly doubt it.

No... really, tell me, exactly who would the vast majority of characters be fighting? Aside from those who need a constant influx of souls to feed on, the others seem more lowkey, and not the sort to raise the ire of entire armies.

Cassandra and Sophitia in particular. While they're great characters, they're already pushing it as is by trying to pass them off as being able to fight on par with the likes of Taki and Nightmare.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Pureauthor said:
No... really, tell me, exactly who would the vast majority of characters be fighting? Aside from those who need a constant influx of souls to feed on, the others seem more lowkey, and not the sort to raise the ire of entire armies.

Cassandra and Sophitia in particular. While they're great characters, they're already pushing it as is by trying to pass them off as being able to fight on par with the likes of Taki and Nightmare.

The story could be something as simple as the main villain (Nightmare? Cervantes? New Character?) obtaining the Soul Edge and raising up an army to take over the world and having the other characters create an army to stop them. They could create new low-level/nameless grunts to fight.

Cassandra and Sophitia may appear to be too weak to fight off an army but that hasn't stopped Koei/Omega Force in the past. Afterall, they did have characters like the Qiao sisters in Dynasty Warriors and that young boy (his name escapes me at the moment) in Samurai Warriors.

Baron Aloha said:
The story could be something as simple as the main villain (Knightmare? Cervantes? New Character?) obtaining the Soul Edge and raising up an army to take over the world and having the other characters create an army to stop them. They could create new low-level/nameless grunts to fight.

Cassandra and Sophitia may appear to be too weak to fight off an army but that hasn't stopped Koei in the past. Afterall, they did have characters like the Qiao sisters in Dynasty Warriors and that young boy (his name escapes me at the moment) in Samurai Warriors.

You are no longer allowed to talk of Soul Calibur again.

Ever.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Pureauthor said:
You are no longer allowed to talk of Soul Calibur again.

Ever.

Whatever. Somewhat of a Freudian slip. In the back of my mind I always thought it should be spelled that way....hence the misspelling. I doubt I'm the first person to do it.

Mau ®

Well thats kinda cool. I mean its a good thing that the PSP gets more FF games even though they're just ports...eh Id buy it, maybe.

The FFT game is looking hawt that is where my money is at.

More Square Enix love for PSP?

FFIV,V,VI and also Kingdom Hearts?

The KH game has been rumored for ages. I think its one of the worst kept secrets in the industry.

As for FFIV, V, VI, why not? If they're already bringing FF I&II why not all the series. More power to them.

Fady K

Mana Knight said:
I'd be extremely happy if that was true about Kingdom Hearts. :D

I know :D But I dont think its true though, as im not even sure if its confirmed yet. God, Id be so surprised if it were true and if it WASNT a port.

Fady K

Matix said:
After the scandalous shit SE pulled of with all their recent ****ing full priced PSP-Ports, I'm keeping my expectations below low. Although the Nomura has been speaking about KH-PSP for awhile now, so hopefully that turns out worthwhile.

Seriously

kevm3

lol@a DS port of FF6 being awesome, but when Square ports some Final Fantasy games to the PSP, omg, portstation portable! Awful, disgusting Square!

Top Bottom