• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese News Thread: 02/26 - 03/04 (More PSU?)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Since one hasn't been started yet I'll do the honors this week... looks like something new is coming for PSU fans.

A PS2 version of GGXX Accent Core will be released on May 31st in Japan.

Sengoku Basara 2: Eiyuu Gaiden announced for PS2 & Wii.

Some scores:
Heroes of Mana - 9/8/8/7 (32/40)
Yoshi's Island DS - 9/7/8/8 (32/40)
Karas (DC) - 6/6/6/7 (25/30)

Shapingo

damn that is a bad scan, hopefully it is better than the last one

Why don't they just make a Phantasy Star 5..............

Doctor_No

Here's some other news:

>>Monster Hunter Portable 2nd has now sold 700,000 units

>> Final Fantasy XIII Versus will be developed by the Kingdom Hearts team; Nomura quoted as saying there won't be a new KH game until XIII Versus is finished. New KH game will be announced after summer.

>>FFXIII will have a different encounter system; from the moment the enemy is recognized there will be a series of events before the fighting takes places; depending on the outcome of the process it may be beneficial to the player during the battle. It is an entirely new enemy encounter system. Also, White Engine development environment is under construction and future games based on the engine are hinted.

>> Gundam Operation Troy for the 360; previously announced, but they are currently having troubles with the online aspects of the game but they are expecting to complete it by summer.

>> Previously announced Blue Dragon anime will start airing on April 7th on TV Tokyo 9pm

>> Yangus confirmed for SE's Itadaki Street DS.

icecream said:
Wow that's blurry... an expansion?

Phantasy Star Universe; a new chapter

TreIII

Heroes of Mana is supposed to come out in about a week. I would hope that they would have given up some reviews, in-depth looks and etc. by now...

duckroll

Looks to be a really boring issue of Famitsu. Unless GGXX Accent Core on PS2 is your thing. I'll leave it to jj984jj and his amazing Japanese skills to keep you guys updated. I think I'll just keep playing Sekaiju instead. :lol

TreIII

duckroll said:
Looks to be a really boring issue of Famitsu. Unless GGXX Accent Core on PS2 is your thing. I'll leave it to jj984jj and his amazing Japanese skills to keep you guys updated. I think I'll just keep playing Sekaiju instead. :lol

Well, GG:AC isn't that surprising, really...

Release date? Any more about that Wii rumor? Review scores? C'mon, ducky... :D

duckroll

TreIII said:
Well, GG:AC isn't that surprising, really...

Release date? Any more about that Wii rumor? Review scores? C'mon, ducky... :D

GGXX:AC PS2 is 31st May. Nothing on the Wii version yet.

Sengoku Basara 2: Eiyuu Gaiden was also announced for PS2. It looks like an expansion like what Koei does with their Musou... an XL version maybe.

HoM got 9/8/8/7, Yoshi's Island got 9/7/8/8, Karas (DC) got 6/6/6/7. The others are boring.

TreIII

duckroll said:

Eh, fair enough. I suppose it was wierd enough that a Wii version rumor started at all before even a PS2 port was announced...ah well....

Sengoku Basara 2: Eiyuu Gaiden was also announced for PS2. It looks like an expansion like what Koei does with their Musou... an XL version maybe.

A Gaiden? Why are they bothering with that? Ideally, thye SHOULD be more concerned about a hopeful sequel for PS2 (and Wii). Or is that what this is?

HoM got 9/8/8/7, Yoshi's Island got 9/7/8/8, Karas (DC) got 6/6/6/7. The others are boring.

And nice scores for Heroes, I suppose. Thanks again, duck.

*goes back to keeping a constant vigil for more ASH-related news*

Jonnyram

This is why so many games have shortages these days, straight from Hamamura himself:
1. A lot of people buy games after looking at reviews on the internet recently.
2. Pre-orders aren't increasing so stores don't order many.
3. The game gets good write-ups on the 'net.
4. Because of the lack of retailer orders, shortages occur.

Common sense really, but the most apparent thing is that sites like mixi and other blogging tools are really making consumers rely more on personal opinions rather than what professionals write in mags. This could be seriously bad news for Hamamura and Famitsu itself if they don't do something to counter it.

I think what you're going to see happen is a lot more viral marketing in Japan. I don't think it's anywhere near as big in Japan as it is in the US right now, and I can seriously see companies starting to send games out to influential community members to get stuff rolling before release date. Otherwise the pre-order problem is not going to be solved.

I hear a lot of ****in' FFXIII talky but no pretty pictures...

some on, Square. You should be flaunting this game like an Amsterdam whore.

It's a goddamn system seller. Remember the old days? Yeah, the ones where we'd get new visual updates (worth a damn) every other month, be it a character shot or a new setting reveal, that would get us all pooping our pants?

Now it's "LOL our newest video is great. You'll see it one day!~" Cockgoblins...

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
This is why so many games have shortages these days, straight from Hamamura himself:
1. A lot of people buy games after looking at reviews on the internet recently.
2. Pre-orders aren't increasing so stores don't order many.
3. The game gets good write-ups on the 'net.
4. Because of the lack of retailer orders, shortages occur.

Common sense really, but the most apparent thing is that sites like mixi and other blogging tools are really making consumers rely more on personal opinions rather than what professionals write in mags. This could be seriously bad news for Hamamura and Famitsu itself if they don't do something to counter it.

I think what you're going to see happen is a lot more viral marketing in Japan. I don't think it's anywhere near as big in Japan as it is in the US right now, and I can seriously see companies starting to send games out to influential community members to get stuff rolling before release date. Otherwise the pre-order problem is not going to be solved.

Who'd be dumb enough to under order something like FFIII? Unless this isn't meant to be a comprehensive list, then I take my question back.

wsippel

Banned
duckroll said:

So I guess there's nothing about Sengoku Basara for Wii as well?

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Who'd be dumb enough to under order something like FFIII? Unless this isn't meant to be a comprehensive list, then I take my question back.
There's a lot of problems there. Potentially the main reason is that third party sales on DS were still unproven at that time, as well as the fact that it was a remake of an ancient FF - with the GBA games not selling that much, you can forgive people for being a little cautious.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
There's a lot of problems there. Potentially the main reason is that third party sales on DS were still unproven at that time, as well as the fact that it was a remake of an ancient FF - with the GBA games not selling that much, you can forgive people for being a little cautious.

Now the real question is. Why is S-E only shipping an initial shipment of 500k for FFXIIRW when it's smack in the middle of golden week? :)

TreIII

duckroll said:
Now the real question is. Why is S-E only shipping an initial shipment of 500k for FFXIIRW when it's smack in the middle of golden week? :)

Well, I guess their reasoning could be that some people are possibly traveling around on their vacations and such, and may not be able to buy the game...

Oh, hell, who am I kidding... :lol

cvxfreak

duckroll said:

They're afraid the 250K of the million potential owners won't have enough money after they buy FFI Anniversary, and the 250K will be saving up for FFII Anniversary.

Jonnyram

wsippel said:
So I guess there's nothing about Sengoku Basara for Wii as well?
There is. The very same game (SB2 Eiyuu Gaiden) is coming to Wii. Also, Hajime no Ippo Revolution and Meitantei Konan are on the way.

duckroll

I'm wondering why the listing for the Xbox360 PSU expansion on Soutahouse says "With Ragol" but not the listing for the PS2 one....

arcader

Banned
excellent PS news - im just about to finish chapter 12 and then spend alot of time with the online game (chapter 13 +)

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
There is. The very same game (SB2 Eiyuu Gaiden) is coming to Wii.

So this is Capcom's first official Wii game. I hope they hurry up with Biohazard too. I'm getting really ****ing impatient. :/

ethelred

I feel like I'm stuck in a time warp or something. I knew about the PSU expansion, Sengoku Basara Wii, Hajime no Ippo, and Conan Wii months ago. Why is everyone acting like any of this is news? :(

jj984jj

ethelred said:
I feel like I'm stuck in a time warp or something. I knew about the PSU expansion, Sengoku Basara Wii, Hajime no Ippo, and Conan Wii months ago. Why is everyone acting like any of this is news? :(
The scan for the PSU expansion is new, and HnI as well as Conan Wii got dates. We didn't know Sengoku Basara Wii would be an expansion either. But like ducky said... it's a boring week.

TreIII

jj984jj said:
We didn't know Sengoku Basara Wii would be an expansion either.

And I'm still a bit disappointed by that. Even if Omega Force was destined to let me down a bit by what Musou Orochi ended up being, I was honestly hoping that Capcom, along with a SB3, would be more than enough to make up for that, even if the third game wasn't a vast graphical/gameplay improvement over the 2nd game. I was expecting at least a "Rockman" style update. Now, with the fact that this is looking to be more or less a Capcom-style "Super Turbo Director's Cut"...as Cartman put so well, they're really "breakin' my balls, here"... :lol

Ah well...if they put in enough content to warrant purchasing what I already played the living hell out of last summer, I'll probably (and happily! :D ) buy it all over again.

Some things that would make me swoon:

1) 2P Co-op
2) New characters, or at least making the likes of Kotaro, Hojo, Ieyasu and Oichi playable at last. Bonus points would certainly be awarded if the Gohon Yari (5 Spears Sentai/Power Ranger force) were playable in their own storyline! :D
3) More stages
4) More play modes
5) Updating some characters that really could use some tweaking (Drastically underpowered Sasuke says "Hi").
6) Higher difficulty setting
7) Ability to attach more than just 2 skills, or at least a special equippable item that meets the same end.

But like ducky said... it's a boring week.

Got that right...ah well...better luck next week...

duckroll

Square Enix Party 2007 event announced - May 12-13th.

Phantasy Star Universe - Ambition of Illuminas (PS2/Xbox360/PC)

- Not an expansion disc, a full sequel on it's own stand alone disc
- It's not known yet how carrying data over would work
- New weapons, new lobbies, new fields, new room goods, new monsters, new SUV weapons, new photon arts
- There will be a network trial for Windows users, at the end of the trial the data will be wiped

duckroll

FFT PSP - 10th May - 5040yen

- The game balance will not be changed from the PS1 version
- In network mode there are Challenge Quests that you can join forces with other players to tackle
- In versus battles there's a trap element which you can use to interrupt the opponent
- There will be no voice in the game even in FMVs <--- ?!?!?!?!! >_<
- FFTA2 details will be coming very soon

jj984jj

Isn't FFIAE coming out in May as well? I guess PSP will see some boosts in May as well with FF.

Edit: Seems it's coming in April, not May. FFIIAE is May.

ram

duckroll said:
Phantasy Star Universe - Ambition of Illuminas (PS2/Xbox360/PC)

- Not an expansion disc, a full sequel on it's own stand alone disc
- It's not known yet how carrying data over would work
- New weapons, new lobbies, new fields, new room goods, new monsters, new SUV weapons, new photon arts
- There will be a network trial for Windows users, at the end of the trial the data will be wiped

PSU is one of the worst rpg`s this gen. annoying music, boring visuals, old gameplay mechanics...and sega wants money for playing PSU online.... :lol

cvxfreak

duckroll said:

- In network mode there are Challenge Quests that you can join forces with other players to tackle
- In versus battles there's a trap element which you can use to interrupt the opponent

I spoke too soon earlier. :lol

TreIII

duckroll said:

Well, alright! ^_^ I'll look forward to hearing more about that!

ethelred

Chris Michael said:
This must be what SE was talking about back in January...

expect a FF7 PSP announcement. :) (I'm not an insider; just stern intuition)

They need to announce III, IV, V, and VI first.

cvxfreak

jj984jj said:
Isn't FFIAE coming out in May as well? I guess PSP will see some boosts in May as well with FF.

Edit: Seems it's coming in April, not May. FFIIAE is May.

April 19 - Final Fantasy I Anniversary Edition
April 26 - Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
May 10 - Final Fantasy Tactics PSP
May XX - Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition (May 3?)

mutsu

cvxfreak said:
April 19 - Final Fantasy I Anniversary Edition
April 26 - Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
May 10 - Final Fantasy Tactics PSP
May XX - Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition (May 3?)

Too many FFs

Top Bottom