• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Weekly JP News thread of 2/8, 1001, and ENGLISH OF THE DEAD: SEGA REDEEMED!

Struct09

Member
Oct 9, 2006
14,354
0
0
Is it just me, or does Mario Kart Wii seem light on the features? Am I just spoiled by SSBB?

I want this game to be good, and I want to be excited, but it's coming so soon and it seems lacking :(
 

Stormbringer

Member
Feb 28, 2006
3,570
0
1,295
By the way, some other tidbits on Mario Kart Wii, from Famitsu :

- online league and a global world ranking
- local rankings
- dedicated channel for online aspect
- send and receive time attack scores online, online ranking for time attack as well
- upload/download Ghosts

See also : IGN

-> I wonder if we will be able to use this dedicated channel for other online games as well...
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,073
0
835
Tulsa, OK
Stormbringer said:
By the way, some other tidbits on Mario Kart Wii, from Famitsu :

- online league and a global world ranking
- local rankings
- dedicated channel for online aspect
- send and receive time attack scores online, online ranking for time attack as well
- upload/download Ghosts

See also : IGN

-> I wonder if we will be able to use this dedicated channel for other online games as well...

That all sounds pretty sweet, and is just another piece of evidence that Nintendo rushed out the Wii unfortunately. If all games could share the channel it would be pretty neat.

Exciting stuff. Not that I ever play online, but I just get the feeling its getting closer and closer.
 

njt

Member
Nov 15, 2006
3
0
0
mangahelpers.com
Some of the translations look weird (私に doesn't mean "me," 私 does, and what if the player wrote "I?" I also see 見る, would both "see" and "look" be considered right?) but, as long as these problems aren't game breaking, it'll be a good tool, even for going the opposite way (learning Japanese,) so I'll probably import it. They ought to just release it here sans localization for Japanese students, likely get about 20,000 sales that way.

Hmmm yeah I was thinking the same thing, there needs to be more DS games that help with learning languages other than jp to eng.

A good eng to jp game would sell amazingly well :3
 

supercake

Member
Nov 8, 2007
320
0
0
Our Video Game Exam(DS/BanNam/2008)
* Medley mode where you can randomly play what you've cleared
*"Win Her Heart!" includes Chihaya graphics
New Motifs:
* Splatterhouse
* Dragon Spirit
* Family Jockey
* Namco Classics 2

WHAT!? Someone please explain what this is. I've been waiting for something, anything with the name Splatterhouse. WHAT IS THIS?!

Please be something good. It's been way too long since Splatterhouse 3 Namco.
 

jarrod

Banned
Jun 6, 2004
25,732
1
0
Moor-Angol said:
Considering there are around 900k japanese people coming to Italy every year, i really was surprised to not see any "italiago training" yet...
Actually, I could see SEGA making a whole series out of "English of the Dead". "French of the Dead", "Spanish of the Dead", "Italian of the Dead", etc, etc... the costs would be negligibly low (the base game is already there, it's literally just text localization) and they'd probably move a whole ton of units.

I can see them doing this for foreign releases too actually.
 

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
May 1, 2007
22,680
1
0
Outside Katy Perry's house
jarrod said:
They could Ubi-it and do a whole series out of it... I could really go for French of the Dead myself. :lol
From Joystick's article on English of the Dead:

(I propose we take them off of the wordfilter because of this. :D)
 

Jammy

Banned
Nov 14, 2006
3,204
0
0
Thanks neo, as always.

What's with Namco-Bandai Holdings? Are they making a whole line of "Family" sports titles? Ski just came out, and now I see them with Jockey and Stadium.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Jammy said:
Thanks neo, as always.

What's with Namco-Bandai Holdings? Are they making a whole line of "Family" sports titles? Ski just came out, and now I see them with Jockey and Stadium.

Famista's not new. It's been around since the late '80s at least.
 

neo2046

Member
Jun 8, 2004
4,797
0
1,585
Jammy said:
Thanks neo, as always.

What's with Namco-Bandai Holdings? Are they making a whole line of "Family" sports titles? Ski just came out, and now I see them with Jockey and Stadium.
you are welcome

I don't know
except Ski, Jockey and Stadium,
they have also announced "Family Trainer Athletic World"
actually all these games are originally old games in the NES era
and it seems they now want to remake these "interactive' games


the mat for NES's Family Trainer


http://www.famicom.biz/fc/htmls/6800000002752.html
http://www.famicom.biz/hontai/htmls/6800000100434.html
 

neo2046

Member
Jun 8, 2004
4,797
0
1,585
sorry that no time to do the full translation
New Patents register



任天堂 / Nintendo
商願2007-123391 リズム天国
商願2007-123392 CAPTAIN\RAINBOW\キャプテンレインボー
商願2007-125092 Official\Nintendo\Seal
商願2007-125093 Original\Nintendo\Sealof\Quality
商願2007-126108 WiiFit
商願2007-126109 WiiFit\フープダンス
商願2007-126110 燃焼フープダンス
商願2007-126343 DSL

Captain Rainbow logo


コナミ / Konami
商願2007-123247 PLAYMAKER
商願2007-126054 12人の優しい殺し屋
商願2007-126055 12×男
商願2007-126056 FEMMESSAVANTES\ファムサヴァン

セガ / Sega
商願2007-123975 UFODREAMCATCHER
商願2007-124027 ファンキーダイス
商願2007-124028 EーLOUNGE

スクエニ / SQEX
商願2007-126752 GーOperation

バンプレスト / Banpresto
商願2007-125857 コミュタッチ

バンナム / Bandai Namco
商願2007-123726 天空大冒険
商願2007-123831 アニメスロットレボリューション
商願2007-125590 妖怪大激戦
商願2007-125666 妖怪大激戦
商願2007-126051 マテリアルダンジョン
商願2007-126052 プレシャスダンジョン\PreciousDungeon
商願2007-126919 ファミリープロジェクト

タカラトミー / Takara Tomy
商願2007-119680 スイーツナビ
商願2007-119681 おやぢからけんてい\親力検定
商願2007-119682 闘神伝
商願2007-119683 闘真伝
商願2007-122914 のび~のび~ボールタワー
商願2007-122915 変身知育
商願2007-122916 忍列伝\しのびれつでん
商願2007-122917 日本一周歩数計の旅
商願2007-125183 ゲームでおおさわぎだコロン
商願2007-126427 成長実感
商願2007-126428 みんなでハッピースペシャル
商願2007-126429 リモコンバトラー
商願2007-126430 鉄道むすめ
商願2007-126431 §亀1∞ONE∞ワン
商願2007-126432 あなたも裁判員
商願2007-126433 禁煙トレーニング
商願2007-126435 CO2
 

Dascu

Member
Nov 24, 2006
13,568
0
0
Belgium
twitter.com
Captain Rainbow? Is this new? It shows a yoyo on the logo, and uh..., yoyo controls could be pretty cool on the Wii. Nintendo making a new IP for the Wii? It cannot be.
 

nightside

Member
May 23, 2007
1,805
0
1,240
Dascu said:
Captain Rainbow? Is this new? It shows a yoyo on the logo, and uh..., yoyo controls could be pretty cool on the Wii. Nintendo making a new IP for the Wii? It cannot be.


tey will rename yoyo-training for the sake of GAF
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,073
0
835
Tulsa, OK
In an interview with Weekly Famitsuu, Front Mission mastermind Toshirou Tsuchida and producer Kouichirou Sakamoto talked about their newest project, Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness for DS and the series' future.

Sakamoto already produced the first DS-based Front Mission title, the remake of Front Mission 1. His current project, Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness was originally released for mobile phones in Japan. However, series fans apparently were not into playing the game on their mobile phones. Many still wanted to play the game, though, and hence Square Enix decided to bring the game to Nintendo's handheld platform. System-wise, Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness will be based on Front Mission 1. Furthermore, the development team has chosen to update both visuals and scenario for the DS release.

Meanwhile, Tsuchida explained that he was not done making Front Mission games any time soon. The series' general producer apparently wants to create a new installment aimed at people interested in seeing a completely new Front Mission.

RPG Fan.

Am I right in understanding that, following the Front Mission remake/PSX port, they decided to port the cell phone Front Mission based on... Front Mission 1?

Anyway, more excited about the news of a new installment in the future. I only have FM3, but it's a game I love and I always mean to get into the series properly.
 

dark steve

Banned
May 9, 2006
1,196
0
0
So what exactly is Poison Pink?

batbeg said:
:( :( :(

Oh well, I'm still interested, but that would've been awesome. I don't like the fact I have to own multiple copies of handheld titles to play multi when it isn't the case on console, but I guess I'm stuck on this for at least another generation.

Having a hard time accepting the limitations of the hardware, huh?
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,073
0
835
Tulsa, OK
When owning a single copy of the game is the standard for pretty much every home console ever, and even Sega's own Nomad could, it sucks is all I'm saying. I understand why obviously, but my hopes get up when I find a game that I can play multiplayer without having to own two copies (which for a few minutes I thought Soma Bringer would join the esteemed ranks of).
 

Kafel

Banned
Dec 5, 2005
12,212
0
0
France
neo2046 said:
任天堂 / Nintendo
商願2007-125092 Official\Nintendo\Seal
商願2007-125093 Original\Nintendo\Sealof\Quality

about time
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
bafflewaffle said:
Why all the excitement over English of the Dead? Non-games = suck, but non-games + zombies = awesome? :lol It looks ok.

So you've never heard of Typing of the Dead, then? I guess I wouldn't be so boastful of personal ignorance, but whatever floats your boat.
 

bafflewaffle

Member
Dec 12, 2006
1,864
0
0
twitter.com
ethelred said:
So you've never heard of Typing of the Dead, then? I guess I wouldn't be so boastful of personal ignorance, but whatever floats your boat.

I have enjoyed TotD actually. But the core goals of improving your typing skills or English is not that different from a "non-game" like Brain Age. It's kinda ironic that when that kind of ga....software is wrapped in a zombie shooting skin it suddenly becomes OMG awesome to harder than hardcore GAF. :)
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
bafflewaffle said:
I have enjoyed TotD actually. But the core goals of improving your typing skills or English is not that different from a "non-game" like Brain Age. It's kinda ironic that when that kind of ga....software is wrapped in a zombie shooting skin it suddenly becomes OMG awesome to harder than hardcore GAF. :)

Why don't you go and suffer like G did?
 

Sciz

Member
Oct 9, 2007
11,041
0
920
bafflewaffle said:
I have enjoyed TotD actually. But the core goals of improving your typing skills or English is not that different from a "non-game" like Brain Age. It's kinda ironic that when that kind of ga....software is wrapped in a zombie shooting skin it suddenly becomes OMG awesome to harder than hardcore GAF. :)

"Edutainment" and "non-game" are not synonymous.
 

Haunted

Member
Nov 16, 2006
78,220
18
965
bafflewaffle said:
I have enjoyed TotD actually. But the core goals of improving your typing skills or English is not that different from a "non-game" like Brain Age. It's kinda ironic that when that kind of ga....software is wrapped in a zombie shooting skin it suddenly becomes OMG awesome to harder than hardcore GAF. :)
It's all in the delivery, baby.
 

Toy Soldier

Member
Oct 29, 2007
4,032
0
0
HERE is where the heart is.
neo2046 said:
you are welcome

I don't know
except Ski, Jockey and Stadium,
they have also announced "Family Trainer Athletic World"
actually all these games are originally old games in the NES era
and it seems they now want to remake these "interactive' games

It's a perfect time to. Here's a quote from one of the localization producers when asked why now was the time to bring this stuff back:

Well, the Wii came out, you know? And the first thing off the top of your head when you think about Wii is using your body to play the video game. And, 21 years ago, that was the only game that let you use the body. So, we get the concept from both sides, and that's why we decided to bring it back to Wii.

...and when asked about whether Nintendo returning to their roots, the same 'expand the audience' approach that the NES was meant to have, affected their decision to bring it back:

Of course, our target is exactly the same as Nintendo's target, and they brought them back from the past to now. Back in the day, good gamers, non-hardcore gamers, and hardcore gamers used to play together and have fun. That was the whole point. So, even if you're really good at playing Halo, a little kid may be able to beat the guy who's good at Halo, in this game. So, that's what it is.

...and when asked if the Wii was direct inspiration:

Yes, this is mainly because Wii came out. This is what made me say, "This is it! We have to make Family Trainer, using the mat." It's fun for everybody.

LINK

Being a big-time Power Pad fan, I've been most excited by the Athletic World (or Active Life: Outdoor Challenge, as we'll know it in North America) revival, especially now that surely the game will be a heck of a lot smoother than the old Power Pad titles were, as DDR minigames have proven.
 

bafflewaffle

Member
Dec 12, 2006
1,864
0
0
twitter.com
I am still hoping English of the Dead gets localized. Maybe Nintendo could come out with an undead zombie dog pet sim, where you have to pick out all the little festering maggots from its flesh or something hehe :D
 

batbeg

Member
Dec 2, 2007
13,073
0
835
Tulsa, OK
I've just realized that Square Enix saying they didn't think enough of their fans played Front Mission 2089 on the mobile phones, thus providing them reason for the DS port, is actually a positive thing here. This means games like PE3 or even FFIV The After may have a small chance, right? I mean, if one of their lower selling series can get the port, why not their FFIV?

Anyway, also thought I'd add it here, G0Nintendo is claiming off the shoddy google translation that Shiren 3 will have some sort of downloadable content, although I'm not convinced that's what it's saying. It definitely utilizes wi-fi in some respect though:

――風来救助は、ニンテンドーWi-Fiコネクションでネットに接続しているほかのユーザーが助けにくるという形になるんでしょうか? -- Wind rescue came the Nintendo Wi-Fi Internet connection, it is connected to other users come in the form of help is going to be?

梅谷基本はそうなります。 梅谷 is so basic. ただ、従来のようにパスワードでもできるように対応はしています。 But even traditional password to be able to handle it.

――Wiiはフレンド登録ができますが、それを使った要素というのは? -- Friend Wii is registered, you are using elements of it?

梅谷今回はWiiConnect24を使った要素を取り入れています。 This element is used to WiiConnect24 梅谷 adopted. たとえば僕が「助けてー!」ってサーバーにデータを上げたときに、フレンドになっている人のところに同時にメールが送付されるんです。 For example, I "help!" Data server up-time, a friend who has been at the same time I sent an email. ですからWiiの掲示板を見れば、友だちが助けを求めていることがわかる、という流れですね。 So Wii bulletin board should seek the help of your friends know that the flow.

――自宅に帰ってきたらWiiが光っていて、見てみると助けを求めるメールが来ているみたいな。 -- When he returned home Wii shining, and the call for help and look at me like email.


梅谷そうですね(笑)。 Yes. 梅谷 (laughs). 逆に自分が救助されていることがメールで届いている、みたいなこともあります。 Conversely rescue one is the fact that it is received in the mail, it may be like.


――ほかにネットワークを使った遊びというのはあるのでしょうか? -- In addition to the network is via a play?


中村ネットワークを使った特別な遊びというのは用意していないんですけれども、ダンジョンをあとからダウンロードできたりということは考えています。 Nakamura network using a special pleasure it is not yet available, or can be downloaded from the left DANJON that is possible.

――それはいままでにないようなモノだったりとか? -- It is now less likely DATTARI or goods?


中村そうですね。 Nakamura Yes.

I haven't really played these types of games before, but isn't there a rescue function in one of the DS ones (Shiren, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)? That the word rescue came up makes me think it is that. Also they said goods was making me think you can possibly trade items.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there, that the interviews seem to be up.
 

jesusraz

Member
Apr 27, 2006
2,402
0
1,435
39
Manchester, England
www.cubed3.com
neo2046 said:
sorry that no time to do the full translation
New Patents register



任天堂 / Nintendo
商願2007-123391 リズム天国
商願2007-123392 CAPTAIN\RAINBOW\キャプテンレインボー
商願2007-125092 Official\Nintendo\Seal
商願2007-125093 Original\Nintendo\Sealof\Quality
商願2007-126108 WiiFit
商願2007-126109 WiiFit\フープダンス
商願2007-126110 燃焼フープダンス
商願2007-126343 DSL

Captain Rainbow logo


コナミ / Konami
商願2007-123247 PLAYMAKER
商願2007-126054 12人の優しい殺し屋
商願2007-126055 12×男
商願2007-126056 FEMMESSAVANTES\ファムサヴァン

セガ / Sega
商願2007-123975 UFODREAMCATCHER
商願2007-124027 ファンキーダイス
商願2007-124028 EーLOUNGE

スクエニ / SQEX
商願2007-126752 GーOperation

バンプレスト / Banpresto
商願2007-125857 コミュタッチ

バンナム / Bandai Namco
商願2007-123726 天空大冒険
商願2007-123831 アニメスロットレボリューション
商願2007-125590 妖怪大激戦
商願2007-125666 妖怪大激戦
商願2007-126051 マテリアルダンジョン
商願2007-126052 プレシャスダンジョン\PreciousDungeon
商願2007-126919 ファミリープロジェクト

タカラトミー / Takara Tomy
商願2007-119680 スイーツナビ
商願2007-119681 おやぢからけんてい\親力検定
商願2007-119682 闘神伝
商願2007-119683 闘真伝
商願2007-122914 のび~のび~ボールタワー
商願2007-122915 変身知育
商願2007-122916 忍列伝\しのびれつでん
商願2007-122917 日本一周歩数計の旅
商願2007-125183 ゲームでおおさわぎだコロン
商願2007-126427 成長実感
商願2007-126428 みんなでハッピースペシャル
商願2007-126429 リモコンバトラー
商願2007-126430 鉄道むすめ
商願2007-126431 §亀1∞ONE∞ワン
商願2007-126432 あなたも裁判員
商願2007-126433 禁煙トレーニング
商願2007-126435 CO2
Anyone able to translate these, please?
 

Stormbringer

Member
Feb 28, 2006
3,570
0
1,295
Seems like the news and scores are up for this week.

Etrian Odyssey II 9988
Populous DS 7777
J.B. 7666
Harvest Moon 6777
Space Invaders DS 9777
Space Invaders PSP 8787
OROCHI 8878
Winning Eleven Wii 9899 <- Yay !
Miburi & Teburi 6566
Last Escort 2 6665
Burnout Paradise&#12288;PS3 98910
Burnout Paradise&#12288;360 98910
BIOSHoCK 10999

These appear legit...
So...Where da thread at ?
 

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
May 1, 2007
22,680
1
0
Outside Katy Perry's house
Stormbringer said:
Seems like the news and scores are up for this week.

Yggdrasil Labyrinth 9988
Populous DS 7777
J.B. 7666
Harvest Moon 6777
Space Invaders DS 9777
Space Invaders PSP 8787
OROCHI 8878
Winning Eleven Wii 9899 <- Yay !
Miburi & Teburi 6566
Last Escort 2 6665
Burnout Paradise&#12288;PS3 98910
Burnout Paradise&#12288;360 98910
BIOSHoCK 10999

These appear legit...
So...Where da thread at ?
Holy shit at Burnout Paradise and Bioishock. :D
 

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
46,082
18,938
1,910
Best Coast
Holy shit, English of the Dead, I am so fucking there. Crazy fantastic game idea.

Awesome news, +1 SEGA. I wuv you thiiiiiiiiis much!