• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weelky RE4 Love Thread: RTTP of the best action game ever made

Riposte

I actually think a lot of the mechanical streamlining in RE5 actually diminishes the tension that 4's combat is so suited at creating. Everything from little things like being able to reload in the menus, to being able to quickly dispatch downed enemies with another invincible melee attack instead of opening yourself up by rushing in to knife takes away a little from the tension of the enemies getting ever closer. I did like the realtime menu a lot though, and quick weapon swapping was pretty great. As far as better enemies I think 4 tops it still. In addition to having way better bosses you have more creative enemies like the garador, a more challenging chainsaw man than the one in 5, and in my opinion much more fun and challenging varieties of the base enemies (better AI, more interesting designs) and are used in conjunction with the level design way better (take my sniping set piece comparison for example). 5 also had the terrible descisison of having regular majini with laser sighted assault rifles rather than a rare chain gun guy, which turns a big chunk of the game into an awkward cover shooter. I like the tribal majini a lot though, they add interesting tweaks to the combat (harder to ground melee, long spears, jump inning, etc).

Yeah the two el gigante fight isn't too hard because you can take one out instantly with the lava
Pit, it's just notable because the game throws two of those fuckers at you like its nothing, and it's just one of the cool curve balls the game throws at you surrounded by a bunch of other surprising and memorable encounters. The water room is definitely a highlight in terms of challenging encounter design, and Ashley makes it better by just adding another layer of tension as you have to watch out for her and consider your movements and enemy priority even more.

I haven't gotten to the jetski part yet so I'm not sure how I'll feel about it this time around, but I don't remember it being too bad. The thing is 6 has like 4 or 5 vehicle sections and some of them are pretty long, and they're all really fast but when you try turning it suddenly feels like you're going through molasses.

I was saying that I fought both of them without the floor trap. It's funny you call that a curve ball, when by most definitions it would be called a "difficulty spike" (mainly the water room since doing what I did is more like an extra challenge) and described not nearly as celebratory. I just happen to be one of those people who like difficulty spikes though.

Dr. Salvador is definitely not more challenging or threatening than the Chainsaw (or Executioner) Majini. He's is 100% helpless against the shotgun. This is one case I'll point to where the difference is clear. Garrador is one enemy I miss though.

On that matter, I think your description of the village encounter above is little too romanticized (as it always by people). Here is how the village works, really, assuming you are not aiming for style points here. You get the item from the first house on the left, ideally not arousing suspicious until after jumping out the window into the alley. Run around that path (and maybe up the tower and behind the farm) picking up items like herbs or more grenades and ammo; the threat level is rather low, but you have to learn how to walk passed enemies to try to grab everything. Then you go into the shotgun house (spawns Dr. Salvador), clean up the items there. Then you get on the balcony and loop around to the dead-end. Then you sit there killing everything (or temporarily disable for maximum AoE damage) that walks in front of you, using the shotgun so that Dr. Salvador can't even get close to you. Then it's time for bingo, the end, videogame's most cherished setpiece. In my opinion, the village doesn't compare favorably to the water room or the double Garrador room or playing The Mercenaries. The public assembly from RE5 is better in most ways.

RE5 gun-wielders were most awkward (but surprisingly ineffective) during the spinning platform scene (cover is nonexistent), where it isn't even worth engaging them because it's a bitch to aim, but the rest weren't that bad. I admit, the first time I had more issue with them, but this time I barely used the cover system, opting to just hide behind objects instead and quickly dispose of them (also I don't see how seeing their laser sights is a bad thing, if that's the implication). In the end, they are not really that ubiquitous. I think I actually had of an more issue with the last two (out of three) heavy machine gun appearance guy in RE4 because of the layout (and perhaps my reluctance to use magnum ammo to trivialize it).

The problem with the jet ski part is the combination of falling rocks and you having to speed up, so you running into them as they are falling in a way that doesn't immediately tell you where it is going to land (the visual is a big mess of debris). If you are using retries then it is a minor trial-and-errror issue in the final 30 seconds of the game, but because of save placements it was rather frustrating having to redo the final boss as I was learning/relearning this.

Anyway, I've talked enough ill about RE4 in this topic and don't really want to tackle any more romanticized descriptions, because I love the game. (Maybe shouldn't even said what I said, but it was funny that I did the same thing in terms of playing RE4 and RE5)

EDIT: So I can be laughed at, here are the ways I died during the jet ski section (meaning I had to fight the whole final boss again each time)
-A rock, better not hit that. DEAD. Oh fuck, it was a ramp I had to hit.
-Man, I'm moving really fast - and that's a lot of shit falling everywh- DEAD. Wait, I think there was a rock inside that?
-Alright, I'll slow down a little bit just before it falls. DEAD. Oh fuck, the water.
I think I died one more time, but I forgot how, pretty sure it was related to the debris.

I actually have two questions on the RE4 that bugged me while playing it: Is there a list of enemy respawns (like going back to areas you don't need to and finding enemies there) and what exactly drops the dynamic difficulty other than dying?

Neff

I think the opening village siege is revered so because, for first time players at least, it's both instantly, harrowingly arresting, and also very intelligently handles how it enables the player, and instructs how enemies will behave. There's a wide variety of environmental features in that area, and the game shows you how both Leon and Ganados can utilise them while you're fighting for your life. It loses its magic upon repeat plays of course, but it's still a versatile, fun, and spectacular encounter even now.

Riposte

I think the opening village siege is revered so because, for first time players at least, it's both instantly, harrowingly arresting, and also very intelligently handles how it enables the player, and instructs how enemies will behave. There's a wide variety of environmental features in that area, and the game shows you how both Leon and Ganados can utilise them while you're fighting for your life. It loses its magic upon repeat plays of course, but it's still a versatile, fun, and spectacular encounter even now.

Sure, but if people refuse to apply that to any other scenario that is similar, isn't that a case of nostalgia rather than examining the level design?

EDIT: And while I laid out a perfect plan, the shotgun + bottleneck combo can be done in plenty of ways, which is how I beat it the first time too (it was that house next to be barn with the bedroom). I guess everyone still gets their head sawed off the first try though.

One of the best games of all time... Capcom should have copied everything from the game tp RE5 and RE6, instead they forced STUPID CO-OP on us and ruined the atmosphere.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Pretty goddamned awesome game. One of the greatest.

Awful Resident Evil.

Neff

Sure, but if people refuse to apply that to any other scenario that is similar, isn't that a case of nostalgia rather than examining the level design?

You can view it as either nostalgia, or design focused on schooling first time players, or both, and it was great then and it's great now. Just not as great as that amazing first time. I'm sure there are many blurring the distinction between nostalgia and objective retrospective when people praise that scene, and like you say, once you nail an optimum method for that section, it's easy to repeat without fear of unpredictable elements screwing things up (I grab the shotgun and some goodies, then head to the locked room and wait for everyone to come get me, it's 100% failsafe unless I do something really stupid). But a lot of folks probably haven't done that, since they probably haven't played it like 20 times as we have. So yeah, its lofty status is valid, I think.

Deku Tree

Yeah what a great game. So glad I re-bought the digital PS3 version. Made me remember how great the game was on my old gamecube.

I was saying that I fought both of them without the floor trap. It's funny you call that a curve ball, when by most definitions it would be called a "difficulty spike" (mainly the water room since doing what I did is more like an extra challenge) and described not nearly as celebratory. I just happen to be one of those people who like difficulty spikes though.

Dr. Salvador is definitely not more challenging or threatening than the Chainsaw (or Executioner) Majini. He's is 100% helpless against the shotgun. This is one case I'll point to where the difference is clear. Garrador is one enemy I miss though.

On that matter, I think your description of the village encounter above is little too romanticized (as it always by people). Here is how the village works, really, assuming you are not aiming for style points here. You get the item from the first house on the left, ideally not arousing suspicious until after jumping out the window into the alley. Run around that path (and maybe up the tower and behind the farm) picking up items like herbs or more grenades and ammo; the threat level is rather low, but you have to learn how to walk passed enemies to try to grab everything. Then you go into the shotgun house (spawns Dr. Salvador), clean up the items there. Then you get on the balcony and loop around to the dead-end. Then you sit there killing everything (or temporarily disable for maximum AoE damage) that walks in front of you, using the shotgun so that Dr. Salvador can't even get close to you. Then it's time for bingo, the end, videogame's most cherished setpiece. In my opinion, the village doesn't compare favorably to the water room or the double Garrador room or playing The Mercenaries. The public assembly from RE5 is better in most ways.

RE5 gun-wielders were most awkward (but surprisingly ineffective) during the spinning platform scene (cover is nonexistent), where it isn't even worth engaging them because it's a bitch to aim, but the rest weren't that bad. I admit, the first time I had more issue with them, but this time I barely used the cover system, opting to just hide behind objects instead and quickly dispose of them (also I don't see how seeing their laser sights is a bad thing, if that's the implication). In the end, they are not really that ubiquitous. I think I actually had of an more issue with the last two (out of three) heavy machine gun appearance guy in RE4 because of the layout (and perhaps my reluctance to use magnum ammo to trivialize it).

The problem with the jet ski part is the combination of falling rocks and you having to speed up, so you running into them as they are falling in a way that doesn't immediately tell you where it is going to land (the visual is a big mess of debris). If you are using retries then it is a minor trial-and-errror issue in the final 30 seconds of the game, but because of save placements it was rather frustrating having to redo the final boss as I was learning/relearning this.

Anyway, I've talked enough ill about RE4 in this topic and don't really want to tackle any more romanticized descriptions, because I love the game. (Maybe shouldn't even said what I said, but it was funny that I did the same thing in terms of playing RE4 and RE5)

EDIT: So I can be laughed at, here are the ways I died during the jet ski section (meaning I had to fight the whole final boss again each time)
-A rock, better not hit that. DEAD. Oh fuck, it was a ramp I had to hit.
-Man, I'm moving really fast - and that's a lot of shit falling everywh- DEAD. Wait, I think there was a rock inside that?
-Alright, I'll slow down a little bit just before it falls. DEAD. Oh fuck, the water.
I think I died one more time, but I forgot how, pretty sure it was related to the debris.

I actually have two questions on the RE4 that bugged me while playing it: Is there a list of enemy respawns (like going back to areas you don't need to and finding enemies there) and what exactly drops the dynamic difficulty other than dying?

Oh gotcha, yeah fighting both on foot would certainly add to the challenge. I think Salvador is more challanging than the Majini chainsaw guy because he gives you a little less time between when he swings and you're head comes off. I never felt like I was in danger of getting my head sliced off in 5, but in 4 (even though Salvador isn't much of a threat if you're well equipped and are careful with your positioning and controls) if you mess up he can very easily decapitate you. I did like that section in 5 on the oil rig when you fight several chainsaw guys in close quarters though, and their berserk state after you 'kill' them.

I dunno, I think the village is pretty damn brilliant still. Part of that is its positioning in the game (first 10 minutes) so it's gonna give most new players a tough time. Also, seeking safety in a house is something the level design encourages I feel (as well as a natural human inclination). You run in there, and you think you're gonna take out a few ganados like the game has taught you thus far and be on you're way. But you are quickly overwhelmed, and so you take shelter in the house, after all the game has just recently taught you about the myriad ways you can escape. And then suddenly you're introduced to a chainsaw, one hit kill enemy, ganado's using ladders to get to the second floor, and a bunch more enemies. It's brilliant because it works against what you think you should do. All the other structures are similarly flawed, with various dead ends (I pity anyone who runs into the house with the locked door that leads to a unescapable room when they have Salvador on their tail.

Sure, if you know what you're doing (or in you're case I guess you just played really smart) and use bottlenecking well, and are adept enough at the combat system that they can land all their hits and use melee efficiently. I, of course, didn't do that my most recent play through and instead used the houses, and open spaces and it was still a thrilling and reasonably challenging fight (especially since I was a little rusty on the mechanics).

As I wrote in the OP, 5's executioner level doesn't compare to me because of the freedom of movement you have (every structure has at least 3 or more escape routes really close by), the explosive barrels to thin the crowd, Sheva/a partner helping you out, I'm convinced majini AI isn't as good as the ganados (they duck and dodge a lot less, and instead of moving in from the front and then quickly spreading out around you the majini usually just rush straight at you).

The water room is obviously the much harder and more complex scenario than the village, but again I just love the village because of ballsy putting that at the beginning is, and how it plays with player expectations.

The laser sights on the majini guns didn't bother me so much as the fact that the majini had guns in the first place, and that those levels were designed in really stop and pop ways by just throwing you at some waste high cover encouraging you to stay put until you take out the Majini and move on to the next set. It slowed the pace down, and the game is much better when you're fighting enemies up close as opposed to long range. I remember not enjoying 4's chaingun guys though, but there weren't that many and 5 has a bunch of them as well.

Pretty goddamned awesome game. One of the greatest.

Awful Resident Evil.

I'm gonna disagree with you here. I think part of the reason its so good is because it's a Resident Evil game. If it was a new IP people would have no preconceptions about what to expect, but because it had Resident Evil on the box it was a really surprising experience. I also thought it did a good job of translating the basic tropes of the RE series to a new genre. Sure, old school RE was all about planning routes, and combat was simply another traversal/item management puzzle whereas in 4 combat is the crux of the gameplay, but the people that say 4 has significantly less puzzles than the classics are crazy. Halfway through the game and it already has more legitimate, and difficult, puzzles than RE2 (no, finding keys to doors don't count as puzzles, and if they do then RE4 certainly bests in that regard as well). The world design also makes sure to incorporate backtracking to create a cohesive environment like the old school games even though on a piece by piece basis the level design is drastically different.

The problem isn't with 4, but that 5 and 6 didn't understand that the brilliant part of 4 was its subversive method of dealing with player expectations, and instead either copied the mechanics or simply tried to one-up the over the top moments without understanding their self-effacing aspects.

Andrew.

Banned
We need a Blacktail vs Red9 thread

I'm a Blacktail man myself. Sometimes I'll even roll with just the normal handgun.

Andrew.

Banned
I prefer shot speed and less shit in my case. I won't argue that the reload animation is better for the Red9 though.

Just always preferred the black tail. I love the way it looks. So sleek with all those jaggies.

You guys prefer stopping power and reload animations, while I prefer speed and compaction.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You know, I never found RE4 to be scary, the game creates amazing tension and urgency but never really spooky scary skeleton level stuff.

Either way RE4 is my favorite game of all time for ever and for always.

What lighting does the PC version have? Gamecube/Wii or PS2?

Gamecube based, they added the specular highlights back recently.

PS: Blacktail > Red9, Red9 is all power no versatility.

I prefer shot speed and less shit in my case. I won't argue that the reload animation is better for the Red9 though.

Just always preferred the black tail. I love the way it looks. So sleek with all those jaggies.

You guys prefer stopping power and reload animations, while I prefer speed and compaction.

The black tail is indeed awesome, but to me it always felt like a trumped up version of the handgun, whereas the Red9 was a whole other beast. There are definitely some situations where I miss the speed of the black tail though.

score01

Truly awesome game. Was great on the GC but it peaked in the Wii. Nothing beats the IR pointer with the reload motion controls.

Unfortunately now, it just feels as if it has been milked too much by Crapcom. I found the HD versions a disservice to such a great masterpiece.

jg4xchamp

Depending on the day my favorite game of all time is either Resident Evil 4 or either SuperMetroid/Metroid Prime. Resident Evil 4 is frankly without equal as an action game.

Strike

tumblr_inline_n8cs5pifvN1rhp1aa.gif

Curufinwe

hunk-neck-breaker-o.gif

I've actually replayed RE4 (third time) and RE5 (fourth or fifth time) at the same time last week too. RE4 because I wanted a complete save on my Wii U, RE5 because I wanted a complete save on Steam. I think RE5 has better mechanics and enemies, while RE4 has better pacing and more variety in level design. If I had to nail down to pacing as one thing, RE4 is very good as transitioning between set pieces, keeping you hooked so to speak, even if those set pieces are not necessarily better. I once again put forward the unpopular opinion that the distance between them is not in anyway great. I don't think RE4 is god's gift to men, it is just a videogame, a TPS among others, just a very good one at that. I want to do a professional playthrough of them soon; from memory RE5 is the much harder game on that mode. Note, I played RE5 on co-op, with various strangers, because any other way is doing it wrong.

Some random thoughts, as these are feelings I don't think I've seen often expressed:

This is the first playthrough in RE4 where I got the thermal scope and it really solidified some lingering feelings on Regeneradors. On the first playthrough, they are amazing, but in truth, they are some of the least threatening enemies when properly equipped. All bark, no bite. Super slow, you usually fight them one at a time, and can't do shit against most weapons instead of sitting there and taking it (and it can only take very little against a properly equipped sniper rifle). Given how easy it is to get the thermal scope, I don't know what I was doing before. Although they have a bit less character to them, those bug things in RE5 are better designed enemies, better used, and they even have a better version of that weakness.

I killed the two El Gigantes using a TMP, magnum, and some flash grenades. It wasn't as tough as it was hyped up to be, but it was a nice challenge. "The water room", especially if you don't do use retries or restarts and don't break it up with saving, is easily the game's peak. It is also a giant pain in the ass because FUCK ASHELY. Fighting Krauser with a only knife (and a grenade when I saw his shadow peaking from a corner) was second best.

The jetski section is as bad or worse than any of the troublesome RE6 QTE or vehicle sections. It has terrible visibility and instant-death. Because I was doing a no death run, I had to fight Saddler five times. I wasn't even mad, I was just like "...sacred cows, man".

I played RE 5 in co-op and on my own. Co-op did not make it more fun for me.

The water room is not that hard. You just need to book it to the room with the hole in the roof.

And the jetski is much better and fairer than the 2-3 boss fight on professional. It's not the game's fault that you wouldn't use continues because you were determined to get an artificial zero death count.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The TMP is a great weapon. Sets up easy group clears by doing a quick stagger+kick when other ammo is more of a priority to save. Also wrecks the Gigante.

I've actually replayed RE4 (third time) and RE5 (fourth or fifth time) at the same time last week too. RE4 because I wanted a complete save on my Wii U, RE5 because I wanted a complete save on Steam. I think RE5 has better mechanics and enemies, while RE4 has better pacing and more variety in level design. If I had to nail down to pacing as one thing, RE4 is very good as transitioning between set pieces, keeping you hooked so to speak, even if those set pieces are not necessarily better. I once again put forward the unpopular opinion that the distance between them is not in anyway great. I don't think RE4 is god's gift to men, it is just a videogame, a TPS among others, just a very good one at that. I want to do a professional playthrough of them soon; from memory RE5 is the much harder game on that mode. Note, I played RE5 on co-op, with various strangers, because any other way is doing it wrong.

Some random thoughts, as these are feelings I don't think I've seen often expressed:

This is the first playthrough in RE4 where I got the thermal scope and it really solidified some lingering feelings on Regeneradors. On the first playthrough, they are amazing, but in truth, they are some of the least threatening enemies when properly equipped. All bark, no bite. Super slow, you usually fight them one at a time, and can't do shit against most weapons instead of sitting there and taking it (and it can only take very little against a properly equipped sniper rifle). Given how easy it is to get the thermal scope, I don't know what I was doing before. Although they have a bit less character to them, those bug things in RE5 are better designed enemies, better used, and they even have a better version of that weakness.

I killed the two El Gigantes using a TMP, magnum, and some flash grenades. It wasn't as tough as it was hyped up to be, but it was a nice challenge. "The water room", especially if you don't do use retries or restarts and don't break it up with saving, is easily the game's peak. It is also a giant pain in the ass because FUCK ASHELY. Fighting Krauser with a only knife (and a grenade when I saw his shadow peaking from a corner) was second best.

The jetski section is as bad or worse than any of the troublesome RE6 QTE or vehicle sections. It has terrible visibility and instant-death. Because I was doing a no death run, I had to fight Saddler five times. I wasn't even mad, I was just like "...sacred cows, man".

I do agree that RE5 professional is harder, though in a few ways it felt more overly punishing since the effects of that mode are more pronounced. RE4 is a pretty standard take on it, just higher damage ouput, less ammo, faster enemy reactions, harder button prompts(not a fan of this for things like the boulder). RE5 gave the enemies huuuuge damage boosts, nearly across the board capable of putting you into dying status, and forgoing dropping health items to instead drop gold and doubling the amount of each gold. My biggest issue was the turret Gigante and the Jill fight, which are crazy punishing and actually easier with an AI because of the precision required. Otherwise, it'd a more roided up mode counterbalanced by the persistent inventory carrying over. A fresh slate run doesn't seem as viable, though I haven't given it a try and want to some time in the future.

I do still like RE5 a hell of a lot though. Co-op mercenaries is sublime, especially with small nuances like inventory combining while doing busy animations like melee attack or moving on a ladder. Adds a lot of intensity, along with the amount of enemies it can pump on screen.

djshauny

Banned
You challange me to say its not scary?

Ok OP, its not scary in the slightest lol.

This game is the most overrated game ever imo.

Hypron

Oh gotcha, yeah fighting both on foot would certainly add to the challenge. I think Salvador is more challanging than the Majini chainsaw guy because he gives you a little less time between when he swings and you're head comes off. I never felt like I was in danger of getting my head sliced off in 5, but in 4 (even though Salvador isn't much of a threat if you're well equipped and are careful with your positioning and controls) if you mess up he can very easily decapitate you. I did like that section in 5 on the oil rig when you fight several chainsaw guys in close quarters though, and their berserk state after you 'kill' them.

For me it's probably the opposite. Neither of them are very challenging (I only got decapitated once in each game, despite playing RE5 10x and RE4 4x) but I always feel more threatened by the Chainsaw Majinis, because even though they're easier to avoid, they're always running after you. My encounters with Dr. Salvadores on the other hand boil down to this " *Dr. Salvador appears, runs towards me*. *Equips shotgun*. *Shoots Dr. Salvador*. *Dr. Salvador is thrown to the ground and shot to death while he can't do anything whatsoever* ". I don't even have to move around.

For me it's probably the opposite. Neither of them are very challenging (I only got decapitated once in each game, despite playing RE5 10x and RE4 4x) but I always feel more threatened by the Chainsaw Majinis, because even though they're easier to avoid, they're always running after you. My encounters with Dr. Salvadores on the other hand boil down to this " *Dr. Salvador appears, runs towards me*. *Equips shotgun*. *Shoots Dr. Salvador*. *Dr. Salvador is thrown to the ground and shot to death while he can't do anything whatsoever* ". I don't even have to move around.

Yeah now that I think about it I'm probably talking out of my ass. I still think the majini pause longer before they lop your head off (and you can see their position on the mini map) though. But chainsaw guys in both add more tension to encounters than any actual difficulty.

Yeah, any shotgun absolutely rekts Salvador and any of his RE4 variants. It's not even funny.

At least chainsaw majini has a threshold of superarmor against shotgun blasts until you do enough damage to it.

MAX PAYMENT

One of my fondest gaming memories was playing this with my friend in the dark on a huge tv with the sound way too loud and switching off whenever one of us got scared.

But I think the game holds up terribly today. I just bought the 360 HD version when try had the capcom sale. I thought it looked and played like complete shit. Put two hours in, uninstalled and wished I never bought it.

Yeah now that I think about it I'm probably talking out of my ass. I still think the majini pause longer before they lop your head off (and you can see their position on the mini map) though. But chainsaw guys in both add more tension to encounters than any actual difficulty.

I recall the Chainsaw Majini pausing for 1-2 seconds or so, which IMO made it very easy to get out of the way. Dr. Salavador and the Chainsaw Sisters are unforgiving, while the Chainsaw Majinis can't be stunned as easily.

I think Riposte brought up the Reapers, which are probably the best part of RE5 personally next to the files (one of the few sequels these days that doesn't skimp on lore and setting, unlike Dead Space and Mass Effect). I prefer unforgiving opponents like them over damage sponges.

DedValve

Banned
Which one is the best? Goldeneye or RE4?

I dont know the answer.

But i like to point this similarity between both: they are both slow games. Enemies move slowly, react to shots, you aim slowly (less on RE4 wii)

I don't think we played the same re4. It started the trend of wet, set piece fast paced games we have today.

And 15 minutes in you already have one of the most well known set pieces in gaming which is praised for constantly keeping you on the move and being difficult. Re4 was not a slow game. Remake was a slow game.

Cyrus_Saren

I recently just started playing RE4 again after going through the previous ones (REmake, 2, 3, Code Veronica, and now 4) and it was actually because of your LTTP thread on the REmake that I decided to go through all of them again.

I'm only on 1-3 but it is still just as fun as I remember. While I prefer the "old-school" RE games, it is still easy to see why this is still beloved and I am eager to continue going through the game again. Since I ended up getting the bundle of Code Veronica and 4, I do not have any previous save file so I am also excited to go through The Mercenaries again and also go through Seperate Ways for the first time (I only had the Gamecube version).

Greatest action game ever made. My favorite non-Nintendo game ever made, beaten only by one or two games.

Unparalleled pacing and encounters, constantly giving you something to new to see and fight. A collection of boss fights that rival any game ever. Just played the HD version a week ago and everything still holds up masterfully.

And here is one that doesn't get mentioned often: I really, really, really dig the story. Cheesy and over the top, sure, but filled with memorable characters and a unique premise.

KyleCross

I played the game for the first time in 2011. I actually streamed it live in a Resident Evil marathon for childhood cancer charity that the Backloggery.com community put together. The plan was for me to play the entire game in one sitting, but I only had a couple hours of sleep (I went live at 3am) so I only made it up to the castle (right when you and Ashley get on those silly little rollercoaster seats).

I of course was quite familiar with the game before hand, seeing several people play it online throughout the years... but even then, it didn't prepare me for finally actually playing it. That section in the village in the beginning was still nerve wrecking, and I was literally showered with relief that it was over and that I actually survived. That's impressive.

I would link, but that's advertising and besides the quality (especially the audio) is TERRIBLE.

I really want the game on steam to play it in the definitive version. I'm wondering if I could trade my Borderlands 2 Vita Digital Voucher for it.

I recently just started playing RE4 again after going through the previous ones (REmake, 2, 3, Code Veronica, and now 4) and it was actually because of your LTTP thread on the REmake that I decided to go through all of them again.

I'm only on 1-3 but it is still just as fun as I remember. While I prefer the "old-school" RE games, it is still easy to see why this is still beloved and I am eager to continue going through the game again. Since I ended up getting the bundle of Code Veronica and 4, I do not have any previous save file so I am also excited to go through The Mercenaries again and also go through Seperate Ways for the first time (I only had the Gamecube version).

Awesome! I haven't played seperate ways in forever, but I remember it being pretty cool. It ties in nicely to Leon's campaign and you do get to see some new content as well.

I strongly believe that part of why 4 is so good is also the same reason a lot of RE fans hate it; it's totally different from the previous games. REmake, 2, and 3 are absolutely amazing games, and 4 is so cool because it just throws that all out the window and gives you nothing but fresh experiences and encounters for the next 20 or so hours. It's certainly one of the ballsiest games I've ever played, so I give it a huge amount of credit just for that.

Personally I think REmake and 4 are tied as the absolute best designed RE games in the franchise. They do very different things, but they both do them perfectly and I don't think I could ultimately choose between classic RE and RE4.

Korigama

Playing again for the first time in a long time, and far rustier than I expected (perhaps I should've thought twice about going for Professional right away).

Top Bottom