• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Update...

Karmic Raze

So, I decided to start drinking Zero Sugar soda instead of the tons of regular soda I was ingesting. I have also been exercising when I feel like I need a boost, but besides the Zero Sugar sodas, I have changed my eating habits. I don’t over eat anymore. I stop when I’m full instead of how I was gorging myself before. I have also recently taken up 18/6 Intermittent Fasting and only eat lunch at 12 p.m. and dinner before 8 p.m. No food for me the other 16 hours of the day. At my last doctor’s appointment I weighed in at 326 lbs. Yesterday morning (Thursday), I weighed in at 302 lbs. So that’s a loss of 24 lbs. so far. I’m pretty happy with that, but I am going to continue with my Zero Sugar drinks and new outlook on my meal planning from here on out. My ultimate goal is to get down to 200 lbs. It might take me a year to do it, but I WILL achieve my goal no matter what I have to do. I have a whole different mindset now about things, and self-improvement is my #1 priority.

Do you think I am doing well for myself thus far or could I be doing better? If so, please offer tips and advice and I will take it and put it to good use.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
main-qimg-d8e73dbedf68bac5f8355072691bde3b

strength train to get to the good 200 lbs boyyyyy

Congrats on your improvement op.

Fasting is a wonderful method for improved health. I generally eat in a 4 hour window, 2 to 6 pm, but I also do multiple day fasts from time to time, as well as full day fasts (36 hours) once or twice a week along with the narrow feeding period on normal days.

If you want to know what fasting does to your body first hand (good things - your mitochondria thrive), do a 5 day water fast. Or if you can't take that, try to do 3. You will be amazed at the difference in how you feel. It's like the fountain of youth.

A bigger chap like you has plenty of reserves to manage a longer fast. Of course, take into account any health issues that might be warranted before doing so.

https://newatlas.com/fasting-increase-lifespan-mitochondria-harvard/52058/

Nester99

Good work dude!

Keep it up and remember it’s a marathon not a sprint! Patience and consistency will pay off!

squallheart

Great job! Rule of thumb is eat less processed. I cut out sodas, chocolates, caffeine and anything acid mainly because of gerd (its insane the amount of foods that have chemicals in them you never realized) and knocked out 20lbs. I would recommend getting rid of sodas all together even the diet ones. If youre still going to use sugar try monkfruit sugar its amazing. Also for salt use celtic or himalayan, will prevent you from retaining too much water and avoid the double chin.

Karmic Raze

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone. I lost another pound today, so I am sitting at 301 now. 25 pounds total. It’s like having a new lease on life losing this weight. I feel better every single day and I hope soon I’ll be off my blood pressure medication, but it might take a while. Knowing that I am headed in the right direction and not down the path of a stroke, heart attack, diabetes, or even death, I am ecstatic. 10 years ago I was in a very dark place and suffering both mentally and physically, so I am thankful for how my life has changed. It can only get better from here. The future is a bright one, fellas, and I intend to see it through to its fullest.

Meowzers

You will achieve goals wether being strict or not mate.

I maintained 200lbs before lockdown just by eating what I wanted and now I'm at 216lbs sitting on my butt, so make sure you eat to what goal you wish to achieve.

Banned
Always proud of people wanting to make healthy changes in their life.

You can do it OP!

Karmic Raze

Progress update: Down to 300, but I got stuck there since yesterday. I am hoping tomorrow is the big drop from 300 to 299. I am so excited to see that number on the scale. I have been continuing my intermittent fasting and everything else. I got my 3XL shirts out of the closet and I’m wearing a shirt I haven’t wore in like a year or something (been wearing 4XL for a while now). I feel proud of that. Here’s to continued health gains and weight loss!

kingbean

Progress update: Down to 300, but I got stuck there since yesterday. I am hoping tomorrow is the big drop from 300 to 299. I am so excited to see that number on the scale. I have been continuing my intermittent fasting and everything else. I got my 3XL shirts out of the closet and I’m wearing a shirt I haven’t wore in like a year or something (been wearing 4XL for a while now). I feel proud of that. Here’s to continued health gains and weight loss!

How you doing now guy?

I started at 291 and now I'm at 282 this morning. It's not "falling off" but it's coming off well enough for me to be a little proud.

Stouffers

Banned
I’m over 300 and 3X are almost too big for me. Most of the shirts in my closet are still L/L-slimcut.

I can barely get them over my shoulders.

OP, you didnt say how tall you are, or your age, or when the weight went on and over what length of time. I will tell you the exact same advice I've given COUNTLESS people over the last 2 decades. If you care about the end result (how your body looks) when you get to your desired weight, then take the weight off slowly. Don't just eat less and run on a treadmill. Weight train, try to fill out with muscle as you lose the fat. Most people don't take my advice and have taken off 100 lbs or more quickly and were left with horrible stretch marks and loose skin. The few who heeded the advice, have none/minimal. You're already doing intermittent fasting which helps with cellular repair. God speed OP.

kingbean

I’m over 300 and 3X are almost too big for me. Most of the shirts in my closet are still L/L-slimcut.

I can barely get them over my shoulders.

I'm 5'9 and I wear 3X but they're tight on my shoulders. I've got like 55" shoulder breadth. My friend's call me a tree stump.

That's my Dad and me. I was 220 and He was 200. This was right after he got out of prison and was ripped like a bastard. I was at my strongest too maxing out my weight bench at 225lbs on presses and curling 50lbs. Right after that I went into a major depression after dad started heroin again and some other stuff and gained like 50lbs in two years and it's just gotten worse every year until recently.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

How you doing now guy?

I started at 291 and now I'm at 282 this morning. It's not "falling off" but it's coming off well enough for me to be a little proud.

I keep going back and forth from 297 to 298. I’ve been struggling to eat less. I’m getting back on track, though. The weight isn’t coming off like it was, but maybe I need to incorporate exercise into my regime now to make sure I start losing again. It’s frustrating.

kingbean

I keep going back and forth from 297 to 298. I’ve been struggling to eat less. I’m getting back on track, though. The weight isn’t coming off like it was, but maybe I need to incorporate exercise into my regime now to make sure I start losing again. It’s frustrating.

Yeah I feel that. I bought a heavy bag because cardio sucks.

gela94

You should check out the keto diet, mixed with IF it's almost like magic ;)

bati

You didn't give a time frame for 25 lbs weight loss - 2, 3 weeks? I assume it must have been short because you got so excited about the "another day another pound" loss. That's not how it works. Most of the lost weight was water, that's why it came off so fast in the beginning.

Healthy weight loss is about 1-2 pounds per week, depending on your age, sex and bf %. What you need to do is figure out your approximate TDEE and then go into a moderate caloric deficit (500-700 calories per day) and strap in for the long run. Start up a meal plan, figure out how much you're actually eating (and for the love of god, don't use MyFitness Pal, or at least don't trust it blindly, look at the actual nutrition values of the stuff you buy and put them into an Excel spreadsheet). Just saying "maybe I need exercise" means fuck all. I'm sorry, but it does. First of all, strength training burns up very little calories. If you add a few sets of weight lifting every day and continue to eat in a surplus the exercise won't magically help you melt the fat off. One hour of normal walking burns more calories than 2h of busting your ass off on the weights to the point that you can't move your muscles anymore.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't do weight lifting - the opposite, I STRONGLY recommend it. Just don't assume it's the magical thing that will help you lose weight. You will need to experiment and see what works for you, because a long term weight loss will do a number on your recovery capabilities and hormone levels, so you will have to balance diet, exercise and rest according to your current abilities and reevaluate your entire program every few weeks to accommodate the changes done to your body.

I went from ~255 lbs to 185 in a span of a little more than a year while balancing weight lifting, light cardio and diet, and while I mostly did everything right I was still caught off guard at certain points because my strength and recovery suffered to the point that I had to reevaluate what I was doing to get them back.

Good luck.

Karmic Raze

I’m bumping this old thread, but only because of good news. Last time I was at 298 lbs. Currently I am sitting at 265 lbs. I have lost a total of 61 pounds since last March. I am pretty proud of myself. My weight was way out of control. I remember a few years ago not being able to even to lace my own shoes I was so big. I feel so much healthier, I have more energy, and the confidence is a plus too. So, anyone else with good news in regards to their own weight loss? I’d love to hear it!

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I’m bumping this old thread, but only because of good news. Last time I was at 298 lbs. Currently I am sitting at 265 lbs. I have lost a total of 61 pounds since last March. I am pretty proud of myself. My weight was way out of control. I remember a few years ago not being able to even to lace my own shoes I was so big. I feel so much healthier, I have more energy, and the confidence is a plus too. So, anyone else with good news in regards to their own weight loss? I’d love to hear it!
Good job man.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Great job, man. Keep it going.

Feel free to join us in the fitness thread:

MacReady13

I’ve put on a fair bit during quarantine, which is no good especially as I have type 2 diabetes. Got up to 95 kilos and I was happy sitting around 80-85. I just got the game Ring Fit Adventures. Playing it around an hour a day for this past week and I’m feeling a fair bit better. Don’t know if I’ve lost weight yet (doubt it after 3 days) but I’m moving and feel so much better. See where it takes me I suppose...

kingbean

Great job man. I'm at 261 now. It's been a slow shitty process. It's mostly my mental health that keeps making this take so long.

I'm glad to hear you're doing great though.

isual

i'm inspired by you OP. i'm trying to do the same by only eating between 11am to 7pm, trying to walk at least 10k steps a day. i'm at 317lbs right now, so i don't know how much i have lost yet.

storytime: today, as i was walking, a white woman who passed by me then walked up besides me said 'keep it up' 3 times. i said Hi, and then all of a sudden as she was walking away i just instinctively said 'what's wrong with you karen? you'll be on fox news'.

context, i had no mask on, the trail i was on is a pretty common walking trail. as it dawns on me, i think i may have over reacted, and this lady just wanted a glizzy from me?

i do not know, maybe i see this woman many times already, or this is just a white woman who wanted to harass someone who had no mask on.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Eliminating weight is easy if you participate in exercise, diet etc. you’ll knock out lbs...
john cena wwe GIF

Karmic Raze

Eliminating weight is easy if you participate in exercise, diet etc. you’ll knock out lbs...
john cena wwe GIF
That John Cena gif is pretty awesome, dude. Also, thank you to everyone that gave me a shout out. I’m really happy with how things are going right now. I have made a lot of progress. Isual, I am humbled that you are inspired by my weight loss. Keep pushing forward and never give up. You can do it, man. Anything you dream is possible!

INC

May sound silly, but take up VR, shit like beatsabre, will make u lose weight and keep fit, and its fun, so you don't realise how much you're losing

Better than treadmill

Good luck dude

Last edited:
Top Bottom