• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Grecco

Im starting to hate the game. Im in Chapter 10. I keep getting killed in the stupid room. I need to check out the paper with a Weird ink but i have no idea how... and it doesnt let me leave the room. I cant go out of the wine cellar...

and it has other glitches as well. And some of the chracters are annoying. I dont get the love for this game.

Grecco said:
Im starting to hate the game. Im in Chapter 10. I keep getting killed in the stupid room. I need to check out the paper with a Weird ink but i have no idea how... and it doesnt let me leave the room. I cant go out of the wine cellar...
Paper with weird ink can be solved with the blacklight if you picked that up. Otherwise you can look at the screen at an angle an see it mostly.

then put it in the PC and so on...

Fatalah

Grecco said:

and it has other glitches as well. And some of the chracters are annoying. I dont get the love for this game.

I'm just curious--- Have you played PC adventure games in the 1990's? I grew up on them, and I think that's why I liked this game. Same type of thinking goes to beating this game.

Grecco

Fatalah said:
I'm just curious--- Have you played PC adventure games in the 1990's? I grew up on them, and I think that's why I liked this game. Same type of thinking goes to beating this game.

I grew up on stuff like Deja Vu, Shadowgate and the Uninvited... then i played some of the PC games like the first Myst. That kind of stuff?

Anyways i feel silly for not being able to do the paper trick... i finished the game yesterday. Overall i liked the characters, art, and story... but thought some chracters were annoying.. and some of the puzzles were just too easy.

Other than the Room with the code machine i think i had a game over in Dunnings room when you use the crowbar...

Overall its more a 7/10 than an 8/10 for me. The PW Games are just better. Still would play a sequel.

Grecco said:
I grew up on stuff like Deja Vu, Shadowgate and the Uninvited... then i played some of the PC games like the first Myst. That kind of stuff?

Anyways i feel silly for not being able to do the paper trick... i finished the game yesterday. Overall i liked the characters, art, and story... but thought some chracters were annoying.. and some of the puzzles were just too easy.

Other than the Room with the code machine i think i had a game over in Dunnings room when you use the crowbar...

Overall its more a 7/10 than an 8/10 for me. The PW Games are just better. Still would play a sequel.
Yeah, it grew on me with replays. Both series are amazing.

Carm

Finally picked this up though right now that's not a good thing. Does anyone else start to feel sick while trying to play the game? Almost like vertigo with fps's though I've only had that happened once with Timesplitters. With Hotel Dusk I start getting a massive headache, though when I close one eye I'm fine. Something about the dual screen is screwing up my sight.

I hate to bump a 5 year old thread, but this is the OT and this is an emergency situation.

I'm at the very end of the game,
locked in the room in the basement with the computer and some other things. I have to get a number from a piece of paper to input into the computer. The FAQs I've looked at say I either need to have picked up a blacklight (?!) or tilt the DS at an angle to read the number of the paper. Well I don't have a blacklight and I can't see a number (could be the screen tech on the 3DSXL is too different from the DS.)

Any advice? Brute forcing the computer
doesn't seem to be a viable option. I hate to give up on the game at this late stage and I need all the help I can get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I hate to bump a 5 year old thread, but this is the OT and this is an emergency situation.

locked in the room in the basement with the computer and some other things. I have to get a number from a piece of paper to input into the computer. The FAQs I've looked at say I either need to have picked up a blacklight (?!) or tilt the DS at an angle to read the number of the paper. Well I don't have a blacklight and I can't see a number (could be the screen tech on the 3DSXL is too different from the DS.)

doesn't seem to be a viable option. I hate to give up on the game at this late stage and I need all the help I can get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If I'm recalling correctly the 7's and the 1's look similar. Doesn't help your current situation I suppose.

How many digits does it need?

EDIT:
It's 18. It looked like 78 because the 7 looks like a 1.

It's just one
number and apparently it's different on everyone's play though. So FAQ's/Let's Plays are useless unfortunately.

You have to select the number from the paper onto the computer (1-30) and then type out this whole long convoluted password. And you die (run out air)
if you take too long.

Edit: I just tried 18, didn't work =(

It's just one
number and apparently it's different on everyone's play though. So FAQ's/Let's Plays are useless unfortunately.

You have to select the number from the paper onto the computer (1-30) and then type out this whole long convoluted password. And you die (run out air)
if you take too long.

Edit: I just tried 18, didn't work =(
Is there any way to extrapolate the number system on Paper if the 3DS screens won't work properly?

Is there any way to extrapolate the number system on Paper if the 3DS screens won't work properly?
Not without the
blacklight
no, I don't think so. I can't get the
blacklight
without reloading an old save and replaying potentially hours of in game time.

What may work is laboriously trying the password and every number until I
run out of air, reloading the save, then continuing on from 1-30
. It would be a pain in the ass but I guess it's possible so long as the number has already
been randomly determined and won't change everytime I reload
. Don't know if I have the heart for it tonight though. =(

Not without the
blacklight
no, I don't think so. I can't get the
blacklight
without reloading an old save and replaying potentially hours of in game time.

What may work is laboriously trying the password and every number until I
run out of air, reloading the save, then continuing on from 1-30
. It would be a pain in the ass but I guess it's possible. Don't know if I have the heart for it tonight though. =

Sorry I was confusing it for a puzzle in Trace Memory, with screen reflection.

I remember having the same issue. Brute forcing it is probably your best bet. That's a shame. Maybe you'll luck out and have a low number though?

Sorry about that.

m6mb3rtx

Neo Member
Such a great game!

Just finished the first playthrough Mila left with me and Jenny came back. I couldn't see her face tho.

Several endings WOW, i had no idea at all?!

xzoowy

I came here for help for this issue, as I'm exactly in this situation with my 3DSXL. So after trying a few brute force attempts, I finally figured out the pattern.
The number on the piece of paper corresponds to a numerical offset that is applied on each individual letter of the encrypted sentence. So you need to find out which numerical offset is needed to construct a comprehensible sentence. If (letter + offset) is greater than 'z' you need to wrap around to 'a' and continue counting (Example : 'y' + 4 = 'c'). To solve this the easy way, just find the needed numerical offset to translate the second word (that should be only two letters) to the word "is".

OK you're a genius. My wife ended up brute forcing it for me.

wtzgU.gif

Pirozhok

Neo Member
The Japanese web site has updated with a new "Column" feature. It seems it's a mock newspaper article thats been written by "Martin Summer" published in January 1999. The first volume is titled "The Man I Met at Hotel Dusk". It looks like there will be four volumes total.

Any translations or summaries of the articles would be much appriciated by us non-Japanese speaking GAFers. It would be interesting to see how that character's lives have changed from 1979 to 1999.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awij/column/index.html

Since this thread is the only thing that comes up when I google for a translation, I decided to translate it myself and post it here (corrections are appreciated):

Los Angeles Beat, Jan. 25 1999

The Man I Met at Hotel Dusk

Serial in 4 installments
by Martin Summer
January, 1999
Recently, I have been collecting things that remind me of 1979. Movies I watched back then or music I listened to, TV shows, goods that used to be lined up in the show windows, etc. Whenever I see one of these things, I want to have them no matter what. That's because when I get hold of them, those dear memories from back then return.

"What's wrong? Listening to such an old song. Isn't one of your principles to never look back at the past?"
It was three days ago. While I was lying on the couch on my terrace listening to a 1979 hit parade, my friend George Graham, who had come to visit me, called out to me with a slightly sarcastic tone of voice. I answered with a forced smile:
"I've reached an adequate age to look back upon my life. I forgot that kind of principle long ago."
"Is that so? My bad, then. Well, thinking affectionately about bygone days is a nice thing. But why 1979?"
While picking up a CD jacket that was lying on the table, George said:
"Is there some beautiful memory or something? Tell me."
"It's nothing beautiful. That year, I was at the lowest point in my life."
"I see. Yearning for the lowest point, that's just like you."
When I heard George say that with slight amazement in his voice, I didn't try to continue the conversation.
While the CD switched to the next song, I closed my eyes and listened to the melody that started playing. Then, in my mind, I spoke to George:
That's right, 1979 was my lowest point. But in December of that year, I met that man in Hotel Dusk. I am only able to be my present self because I met that man on that day.

On December 28, 1979, the night of that year's last Friday, while travelling from LA to Las Vegas, I spent the night at a small hotel at the side of the road. Its name was Hotel Dusk. It was the winter of the tenth year since I had become a novelist.
Among the hotel guests I met that night, there was a salesman in his early thirties. This man wore a black necktie casually tied over a white shirt, over which he wore a slightly worn out leather coat. He was about 6 feet tall, looked thin but had a proper posture and despite being a salesman, he seemed like an unsociable and extremely blunt guy.
That night, in order to resolve a little accident, I paid a visit to this man who was staying in Room 215 and we ended up talking.
"Martin Summer? I've heard this name before."
When I introduced myself, the man stared at my face slightly inquisitively. His eyes were dark gray and had a surprisingly sharp glint in them, so that I instinctively felt startled by his gaze. This was my encounter with this man. He said his name was Kyle Hyde.
My encounter with Kyle Hyde was a miraculous coincidence. That night, I met him in Hotel Dusk, talked to him and had my hidden secret found out by him. And this event was more meaningful than anything else in my life.

"Do you know Hotel Dusk?"
I asked George, who was sitting on the sofa in front of the fireplace and reading a newspaper.
"I dunno such a hotel."
George answered curtly without taking his eyes off the newspaper.
"Is it a good hotel?"
"Yeah, if it still exists."
The song on the CD ended. I stood up from the couch. Then I said to George:
"Let's go for a bite or something. If you let me tell you an old tale, I'll treat you to a nice meal."
There is a restaurant I have known for a long time. It's a pleasant Italian restaurant with a casual but welcoming atmosphere and a wide selection of wines. This restaurant's fresh pasta is addictively delicious and especially its hand-cut first-rate steaks are absolutely flawless.

"This steak is a masterpiece. The quality of the meat, of course, but also the amount it's cooked and the sauce are just perfect. Why haven't you told me until now that there is such a nice restaurant?"
It was three days ago. After having finished the main dish in the reastaurant to which I had invited him for dinner, my friend George Graham asked me this while wiping his mouth with a napkin, seemingly content. I answered with a forced smile:
"Every man has a 'trump card restaurant' that he can't even tell his best friend about so easily."
"Trump card, huh? Hey, who is it? Who is the fortunate girlfriend who gets to feast on high-class steak with you all the time?"
I ignored George's unsophisticated inquiry, picked up a wineglass from the table and shook it a bit before taking a sip. For a moment, the wine's mellow aroma and body spread out inside me. This restaurant's sommelier's selection was once again superb.
"By the way..."
George leaned slightly forward as he spoke.
"Isn't it about time you tell me? That's why you brought me here, right? To this trump card restaurant."
I nodded lightly and muttered in my mind: That's right, George. I want to tell you about that man, here in my trump card restaurant, my trump card tale.

To this day, I don't know any man whom bourbon suits as well as Kyle Hyde, whom I met in Hotel Dusk 20 years ago.
This happened in "Seven Stars", the bar of Hotel Dusk. Around the time the clock's pointer had passed 9 o'clock, as I wasn't able to calm down after what had happened, I felt like having a drink and opened the door to the small bar on the hotel's first floor.
Thereupon, I saw that Kyle Hyde was there. He was sitting on a seat at the end of the counter, holding a bourbon glass in one hand. Next to him, with an empty seat between them, was a female guest. Just as I entered the bar, she stood up while saying:
"I'm leaving. There's no point in drinking alone."
That woman's somewhat pouty voice was obviously directed at Kyle Hyde who was sitting right next to her, but you could tell from looking at his back that her behavior didn't bother him in the slightest, and when she saw that back of his, she made a resigned face and let the sound of her pumps reverberate as she left.
When she left, Kyle Hyde slightly shook the glass he was holding before downing the amber fluid in one go and slightly smiling seemingly content. It was as if the profile of his face was saying: I always drink alone, that way you can better appreciate the drink's flavor.

"Really? Was that girl really Cecily Lee?"
"Yeah, no doubt. After Kyle Hyde had dealt with her, she dashed up the stairway to being a star actress and received an Oscar."
"Kyle Hyde, huh? He's indeed a very interesting guy. Even so, that guy, why was he a salesman for household articles? Is there a reason?"
"Yeah, I found this out later, but the..."
When I said this, George interrupted me and said:
"Wait, Martin. Tell me the rest at the next place. This time we're going to my trump card restaurant."
Due to my work as a journalist, I've heard many a story from police officials. Three years ago, a police detective who had helped me out with gathering information for an article died. When I heard on the TV news that this detective had been shot during an investigation, I remembered his last words at the end of our collaboration:
"When you work as a police detective, it's like you practice facing death every day. But not even once has my family practiced facing my death."

"So you're telling me that that Kyle Hyde guy was a former police detective?"
It was three days ago in the evening. After dinner, my friend George Graham, holding a gin and lime in one hand, asked me this at a shot bar in Hollywood Boulevard, so I nodded and replied:
"That's right. Up until three years before he met me in 1979 at Hotel Dusk, Kyle Hyde was a police detective at NYPD."
"NYPD, huh? But how do you know this?", "It was in Manhattan where I learned his story."

It happened in 1984. I escaped from LA, which was drowning in the Olympics fever, and went to the East Coast. Then I spent a few months living at a friend's house in Manhattan.
The glittering skyscraper town on the other side of Brooklyn was beautiful like a jewel shining in the darkness, and yet greedy like a gigantic living creature. During my stay in Manhattan, in that town, I could properly enjoy catching a breath, in that town, everyone seemed to do so, in that town, from the day I greeted the morning sun, I completely turned into one of that town's residents, all the various pressures I had felt at the West Coast being sucked away by that town.
It was in this Manhattan where I reunited with a certain person. That person's name was Larry Damon. He was a lawyer I knew from LA. He was a capable man who had set up a large office in Beverly Hills, but his only son, not following in his footsteps, had opened a small lawyer's office in Manhattan independently from him. Larry Damon had come to Manhattan to see how his son was doing.
The one who told me that Kyle Hyde used to be a police detective was Larry Damon. Happy about our chance reunion, he invited me to lunch, where he suddenly started telling me a story without knowing that I knew Kyle Hyde: He said that after certain events that had occured five years ago, the relationship between him and his son had transformed. Then he told me that it was thanks to a man his son had met named Kyle Hyde and that that man was formerly a police detective in this town.

"...so in order to look for his colleague who had gone missing, Kyle Hyde quit his job as a police detective and became a salesman?"
"That's right. Based on the clues in Larry Damon's story, I tried to thoroughly investigate him during my stay in Manhattan and that's how I found out."
"I see. And after that you began working on the plot of your book 'Where the Night has Gone' that was based on Kyle Hyde?"
When George said this with a nod and a slightly understanding voice, he put down the glass he was holding. Then he snapped his fingers and called out to the bartender on the other side of the counter, making an order:
"Two glasses of bourbon. On the rocks. I'm ordering the trump card stuff."
Writing about things for a living is surprisingly tough. You need the talent, the endurance to keep it up and, of course, luck. And, on top of that, you need an editor who understands your works and a trustworthy old friend who is prudent and willing to be your first reader.

"We've known each other for a long time, but I don't think I've ever heard you speak your mind as openly as tonight."
It was three days ago, late at night. We were sitting at the counter at a bar where we were the last remaining customers when my friend George Graham confided this to me, so I answered slightly bewildered:
"But that's not true. I always speak openly to you."
"Well, mostly. But tonight is still special. That's why I think I now understand how you overcame that long slump and began writing novels again."
While saying that, George slowly produced one of his favorite cigars from his pocket. Then he lighted it and, remaining silent for a moment, restfully enjoyed its aroma. The cigar in George's mouth gave off a nostalgic smell.
"By the way, when is your next book coming out?"
"I'm still working on it. I still haven't shown it to anyone from the publisher."
"The protagonist this time... is it him again?"
"That's still a secret. But when I'm done with it, I want you to read it before anyone else, as usual."
After that, George and I left the bar and walked around for a bit in the streets of late night Hollywood.
"Come to think of it, that rare Pinkie Rabbit item you've been looking for has been put up on an Internet auction," George recalled while we were walking.
...Pinkie Rabbit? As soon as I heard that name, I was reminded of when I heard it from Kyle Hyde and grinned involuntarily.
"That happy? I don't get your enthusiasm."
When George said this with a shocked expression on his face, a taxi stopped in front of us. As George entered it, our long conversation of that night came to an end at last.

This year, I began writing once more about the man I met at Hotel Dusk in 1979, about what would become a night I will never forget, the evening of December 28, and Kyle Hyde will be the protagonist.
I am aware that by simply writing down memories, there will be many things that are unfit for a story. But now that I have reached an adequate age to look back upon my life, there is no need anymore to protect my lying self. I'm sure that I can write well about my younger self now. Moreover, I am confident that the true form of the man named Kyle Hyde as he has come to appear through the lens of time from 20 years ago will make for a fascinating story.
I believe that the story of what happened in Hotel Dusk that night, what the hotel guests who met him had to do with him, and what had occured in his life up until he arrived at that hotel, will surely be deeply interesting to the readers.
But, if Kyle Hyde heard about this, he would surely fold his arms and glumly say:
"Don't be so annoyingly interested in me. That's why your books sell like crap."

-shadow-

Nice I had no idea about this topic! I've actually finally got this game last month after having finished Last Window like two years ago. Loving it so far, need to play it some more though. Really should finish it before the launch of the Switch. Here's hoping we'll get a new game some day! And no, Chase: Cold Case Investigations doesn't count.

That game was way to short! :(

Bluth54

Is that some sort of tease for a third Kyle Hyde game?

As much as I would love a third Hotel Dual game the studio that made the series went out of business. Nintendo probably owns the IP and could make a new game but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Since this thread is the only thing that comes up when I google for a translation, I decided to translate it myself and post it here (corrections are appreciated):

Wow, an answer to a 10 year old post of mine. Thanks for posting these! It's much appreciated.

andy_lhc

I didn't even realized it has been 10 years...I remembered playing this on my phat NDS when NDS lite was not even out yet.

Pirozhok

Neo Member
I have translated the "Last Window"-related article from the website. I also noticed that the title of Summer's book should probably be translated as "The Whereabouts of the Night" insted of "Where the Night has Gone" because it seems to be a reference to an actual novel called "The Remains of the Day".

Los Angeles Beat, Feb. 25 2001

A Few Facts about Kyle Hyde

by Martin Summer
February, 2001

It is often said that a novelist's first reader is the editor, but in my case, this is not true. As for me, when I have finished writing a novel, there is a certain person to whom I entrust the finished manuscript before anyone else, so he can be the first to read it and tell me what he thought about it. This person is my longtime friend George Graham and he has been the first reader of my novels since I resumed writing in 1990.

Why do I show my manuscripts to George first? That's because he is a very selfish and frank reader. If he doesn't like the first three lines, he'll nonchalantly voice his complaints and, so far, upon handing it back to me, he has never praised my work even once. Sometimes he even stops reading halfway through if it's not interesting.
So every time I hand over a manuscript to George, I feel my heart racing like a novelist who has just made his debut.

Last December, I called George over and, as usual, I handed him a manuscript of a novel that I had finally completed after a long period of research.

"Last Window, huh?"
George read out the novel's title on the cover upon receiving it.
"Is this about the ex-cop turned salesman you have told me about before?"
"Yes, it is. I have finally finished writing it, the story of that man."
"So if you hadn't met him at Hotel Dusk in 1979, this novel wouldn't exist, huh... Then that means that you also appear in this novel?"
"No, I don't. This novel's story takes place in 1980, one year after the night I met him."
"...huh?"

Here is the sequence of events that led to me writing the Kyle Hyde story from 1980 before the 1979 story of him.
In February 1999, in order to write a novel for which I had decided on Kyle Hyde, the man I had met at Hotel Dusk in December 1979, to be the protagonist, I recommenced my research on him. Of course, I conducted the research regarding his time as cop particularly enthusiastically, hence I left my house in LA for about a month and departed for Manhattan, where he had served as a police detective. That's when it happened. At the hotel in Manhattan where I was staying, a woman showed up to pay me a visit. Her name was Emilie Jeunet and she was the younger sister and manager of that famous French movie director whom not a single person in Hollywood does not know.
The reason Emilie couldn't wait for me to return to LA and followed me to Manhattan was because she wanted to acquire the film rights to my novel from 1998, "The Whereabouts of the Night". To be honest, I wasn't really interested in a film adaptation of my novel, but I succumbed to Emilie's enthusiasm and promised that, once back in LA, I would meet with her brother, the director, and listen to what he had to say.

"So, you returned to LA, met that director and learned that one of the residents of the apartment building where he used to live in his student days was Kyle Hyde?"
"Yeah, when I found out, I was really shocked by that coincidence. And then, I was even more shocked by the tale of Kyle Hyde from 1980 that the director told me. To tell the truth..."
"Wait, stop talking right there. I'll listen to what you have to say when I'm done reading this manuscript."

Two days after that, I was woken up by a phone call from George in the middle of the night. And then, from the other end of the receiver, I heard his words as the first reader of "Last Window".
"Martin, I get it now. Why you wanted to write this story. And, after reading it, I want to meet him, too. The man named Kyle Hyde."
This was the very first time in my life that George told me his sincere feelings, which to me, having recounted a few facts about Kyle Hyde, was the ultimate compliment.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Damn this brings up some memories. Hotel Dusk is easily my favorite DS game of all time, and I'd punt babies if it meant getting a third one.

Top Bottom