• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Sho Nuff

Banned
I love adventure games, but this one bores me stupid. When is something interesting going to happen? Feel free to give me a mini-spoiler or something to keep me going.

Spoilers. Not recommeneded to highlight unlesss you've beaten game twice.

I've determined that whether or not you acquire the item in room 220, it has no effect on whether or not you get to view Jenny's entire face in the epilogue. However, I am unsure whether or not solving the message to get you into room 220 has an effect or not. Though acquiring the item itself merely adds a short scene with Kyle and Mila at the game's end, provided Mila decides to leave Hotel Dusk with Kyle. Also, Jenny's face does not get revealed on the first playthrough. If you get the Jenny epilogue on the first playthrough it will ONLY show up to her neck and chin, emphasizing the J necklace that she wears. Once you beat the game once you will be see Jenny's full-face provided you meet the conditions to acquire the epilogue.

Here are the two-screenshots of Jenny from the epilogue, courtesy of Gamefaqs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/chi_master/Jenny.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/chuji3/jenny.jpg

List of differences from 2nd playthrough (Huge spoilers once again):

1. Different phone conversations with Kyle and Rachel

2. Different Star Numbers for Vending Machine Item

3. Possible different vending machine Item, depending on which set of star numbers you get. I think if the star number at the lobby is +10, it's the bunny doll, though this is but a guess.

4. Jukebox list will be complete

5. Mysterious Tape Item that grants access to Room 220 if you can solve it.

6. Increased text speed if you hold down button/touch screen. Do both for super-scroll speed.

7. Ability to extend Mila's ending by acquiring Mila's Treasure.

8. Ability to see Jenny's face in the epilogue.

9. Availability of new vending machine item - Candy (maybe a new one will be available on thrid playthrough too?)

Also, there's one part where Kyle asks himself why he came to Hotel Dusk. One of the choices was "to look for my father." A reference to Trace Memory. Credit to Gamefaqs for noticing this.

En-ou

stuck and need some hints.
i just went downstairs to dunning but he just asks me to pay and goes back in his office. i think i am supposed to open my case somehow to get the money. kyle said he can pick the lock maybe. there's a wire hanger in my room but he doesn't really take it.
help! :|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
En-ou said:
i just went downstairs to dunning but he just asks me to pay and goes back in his office. i think i am supposed to open my case somehow to get the money. kyle said he can pick the lock maybe. there's a wire hanger in my room but he doesn't really take it.

Have you actually tried picking the lock yet? Forget the wire hanger for a minute.

Vexidus

En-ou said:

Edit: Yeah, try the above hint first

Mockingbird said:
Spoilers. Not recommeneded to highlight unlesss you've beaten game twice.

I've determined that whether or not you acquire the item in room 220, it has no effect on whether or not you get to view Jenny's entire face in the epilogue. However, I am unsure whether or not solving the message to get you into room 220 has an effect or not. Though acquiring the item itself merely adds a short scene with Kyle and Mila at the game's end, provided Mila decides to leave Hotel Dusk with Kyle. Also, Jenny's face does not get revealed on the first playthrough. If you get the Jenny epilogue on the first playthrough it will ONLY show up to her neck and chin, emphasizing the J necklace that she wears. Once you beat the game once you will be see Jenny's full-face provided you meet the conditions to acquire the epilogue.

Here are the two-screenshots of Jenny from the epilogue, courtesy of Gamefaqs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/chi_master/Jenny.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/chuji3/jenny.jpg

List of differences from 2nd playthrough (Huge spoilers once again):

1. Different phone conversations with Kyle and Rachel

2. Different Star Numbers for Vending Machine Item

3. Possible different vending machine Item, depending on which set of star numbers you get. I think if the star number at the lobby is +10, it's the bunny doll, though this is but a guess.

4. Jukebox list will be complete

5. Mysterious Tape Item that grants access to Room 220 if you can solve it.

6. Increased text speed if you hold down button/touch screen. Do both for super-scroll speed.

7. Ability to extend Mila's ending by acquiring Mila's Treasure.

8. Ability to see Jenny's face in the epilogue.

9. Availability of new vending machine item - Candy (maybe a new one will be available on thrid playthrough too?)

Also, there's one part where Kyle asks himself why he came to Hotel Dusk. One of the choices was "to look for my father." A reference to Trace Memory. Credit to Gamefaqs for noticing this.

So when do you get the Mysterious Tape? I just started Ch. 9 on 2nd playthrough, and am doing the apple painting round up. Do you get it after this? Or did I mess up

Buttonbasher said:
So when do you get the Mysterious Tape? I just started Ch. 9 on 2nd playthrough, and am doing the apple painting round up. Do you get it after this? Or did I mess up

You get it in Chapter 9 while meeting up with Louis. It should be given to you during the same conversation where he tells Kyle that the old key is used for the wine cellar.

Mardak

I've been playing through a second time, and I'm at 9pm. I've been avoiding all "press" sequences unless it's the conversation that results in red ?s. It seems like the game will always just have Kyle thinking about what the person said after taking a few steps, so I don't think it's any faster to skip first then talk later.

There are some parts where you do have to press such as when you first
run into Louie delivering packages

Mardak said:
I've been playing through a second time, and I'm at 9pm. I've been avoiding all "press" sequences unless it's the conversation that results in red ?s. It seems like the game will always just have Kyle thinking about what the person said after taking a few steps, so I don't think it's any faster to skip first then talk later.

There are some parts where you do have to press such as when you first
run into Louie delivering packages
That doesn't really need a spoiler tag. There's a difference between Red question marks, and the red wave. The Red wave is the bad one.

Mardak

Yeah, I know there's a difference between the red waves and red question marks. And it seems like the only unavoidable one is with Summers. The one with Iris can be avoided by not pressing.

I mentioned the red question marks because at least with the situations up to 9pm, the game won't continue unless you do press. (Hyde starts repeating himself.)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm pretty sure the manual explains that the red ?s are crucial and must be presented/explored.

Fusebox

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
I love adventure games, but this one bores me stupid.

Did you like Phoenix Wright? I've ordered Hotel Dusk under the impression its similarly paced to PW1 and 2, but if its any slower it could be a little painful...

Sumidor

Even though I enjoy this game quite a bit, I think I can only play for like 20-30 minutes max before I need to stop. But then i'll take like a few days off of the game I can't remember what to do.. :(

Sumidor said:
Even though I enjoy this game quite a bit, I think I can only play for like 20-30 minutes max before I need to stop. But then i'll take like a few days off of the game I can't remember what to do.. :(
My problem is that I always play it at night, and now when I play during the day, I get tired. Same thing happened with Phoenix Wright, and the Halo 2 Volume 1 soundtrack.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I've played this for almost five hours now....and I'm starting to get tired of all the text. I'm fine with text that advances the plot and develops the characters, but sometimes the title seems to spend an excessive amount of time developing characters that will not appear again througout the course of the game.

Some of the writing is gratuitous. Speaking of "ous," some of Kyle's comments do begin to become a bit monotonous and redundant as well. The manner in which he reacts to the other character's responses devolves into an annoying affair after a couple hours.

Although I may have accentuated these points, they do not detract from the experience as greatly as my tone may lead you to believe. They are certainly minor concerns with an otherwise refreshing game. Why refreshing? I haven't played an "adventure" game like this in years. Maybe it's the touch screen, or the very well written dialogue that's absent in many high-profile games today.

It may have been done before, but Hotel Dusk feels refreshing.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beat the game tonight. Been taking my sweet, sweet time with it. Ending spoilers:

Didn't anyone think it was weird that the "happy" ending involves
Hyde leaving with a 19-year old girl that basically has the mind of a 9 year old? That's ****ed up! She was in a coma for 10 years! She never advanced past the 4th grade!

I mean, yeah she'd been out of it for six months, but still. It bugged me the entire game - her talking like an adult, etc.

Besides, Hyde has the hot-ass Rachel back at Red Crown HQ that clearly wants his nuts. I'd take her over creepy mute girl.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
GDJustin said:
Beat the game tonight. Been taking my sweet, sweet time with it. Ending spoilers:

Didn't anyone think it was weird that the "happy" ending involves
Hyde leaving with a 19-year old girl that basically has the mind of a 9 year old? That's ****ed up! She was in a coma for 10 years! She never advanced past the 4th grade!

I mean, yeah she'd been out of it for six months, but still. It bugged me the entire game - her talking like an adult, etc.

Besides, Hyde has the hot-ass Rachel back at Red Crown HQ that clearly wants his nuts. I'd take her over creepy mute girl.

There are multiple endings and differing playthroughs

And the game never implys a love relationship between the two.

Jcgamer60

Just beat this awesome game last night. This is easily one of my favourite games for the DS now:)

I got the Kyle leaving with Mila ending

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
grandjedi6 said:
There are multiple endings and differing playthroughs

And the game never implys a love relationship between the two.

Besides the dreamy look on Kyle's face and in her eyes after
You give her mouth to mouth ;)

Regardless, it's still freakin weird. She needs to go to school. She needs help. How did her muscles still work? etc etc.

GDJustin said:
Besides the dreamy look on Kyle's face and in her eyes after
You give her mouth to mouth ;)

Regardless, it's still freakin weird. She needs to go to school. She needs help. How did her muscles still work? etc etc.
Better question is what did Rosa do to her while she was asleep. So hot. Maid on sleeping chich action FTW!!!!!!1

adg1034

Not sorry at all to bump an old thread.

Amazon finally shipped it last week, and I got it on Monday (I think). Holy Shit. Words can't express how happy this game makes me. Finished it in ~20 hours (including ~5 hours of sleep mode time), with the
Kyle+Mila
ending. I missed the
coins
, but other than that, I think I did everything.

Story spoilers within:

It was always fun to try and figure out how everyone in the hotel was connected after you received a new piece of information. Actually, by the end, I was sure that Iris (or "Cecily Lee") was actually Jenny, since I thought every story was going to interconnect, not just a few. I still wish there was a link between the Helen/Summer plotline and the main Kyle story, though. Oh, well.

I've only played the first hour or so of Trace Memory, but that connection seems to be solid- the captain looks to be Rosa's ex-husband.

So many awesome touches in this game, especially in the dialogue, and in how there was different descriptive text for just about every single object; I wasn't expecting completely different dialogue for two separate beer cans tossed on a table. Oh, and my favorite line is
from the wine cellar: "A shelf made for holding alcohol. I love you, shelf." (or something like that)

Can't wait for CING to show off their next project. Now, though, I'm gonna turn in for the night. Hope I dream of dames.

I still love the game, but the criteria for getting what ending and epligoue seems pretty vague and nobody seems to have any clear idea as to how to trigger such and such, so I've kinda left the game since I'm tried of the trial and error approach :/

Vexidus

I loved every minute of Hotel Dusk, the characters were great and the dialogue was fun to read (i didn't find text speed too slow at all). It was awesome to curl up on a couch or in bed and continue the story!

I'll probably replay it in a few months, great game!

AshStrife

Any word on different epilogues?

Finished the game for a third time, but got the same conclusion as my second run through.
It seems the rumors of epilogues with other characters weren't true after all.

Oh well, I enjoyed the game. Great atmosphere and intrinsic dialogue, but the puzzles were lacking in magnitude.

Llyranor

I'm taking my time with the game. I'm about 15 hrs in (I was surprised at noticing that), and at maybe chapter ?10 or so. In any case, it's past 11PM. I've been quite enjoying the story/writing (aside from the few typos)/characters. The text scrolling is a tad slow, though I don't actually mind it that much. The pacing could be better, but I'm very pleased with the game.

mutsu

I find the game really fun and intense in the most part. This is definitely 10x better than Trace Memory/Another Code, if not more. I find myself wanting to play through the story continuously without stopping, just like reading a novel (Harry Potter was the last one that made me do that). All credit to CING on creating this type of suspense in the story this time around.

However I am left with a weird feeling that Mila actually fell in love with Kyle... ok I mean yes Kyle did kiss her when she fainted, but come on, there was hardly any relationship building scenes between them through out the entire game.

OK maybe it's because Mila was in a coma for 10 years, so she is still like a little child and very innocent. But still, I couldn't help feeling very strange when I find that Mila all of a sudden decided to follow Kyle... This is pretty much the only minus point in the story I find. There is just not enough relationship building between them. Hardly any.
If I am wrong (maybe you know more between them playing it through the second time), let me know!

I will probably go back to the game again once everybody figures out how to get all the secret endings and such.

I finished the game recently and enjoyed the experience on the whole even if it dragged in a few places. The music, presentation, and dialogue are all top notch. I really liked all the characters, especially Kyle and Louis. I think my favorite line is from Kyle to Summers:
Don't you have a book to plagiarize or something?

AshStrife said:
Finished the game for a third time, but got the same conclusion as my second run through.
It seems the rumors of epilogues with other characters weren't true after all.
I'm working on 3rd, and some stuff is different. I'm being nice to Iris. I expect to get
The Grace Ending because I've already been shown a picture of her by Kevin

teiresias

OK, I think I have an issue, and might have a bug.

I've just been told by Iris on the stairs
that Dunning is searching everyone, so I went back to my room to stash stuff in my suitcase. I put the cash, the 217 key, and something else, can't remember in the suitcase, then saved the game, then went downstairs. Dunning was there and found something (the stuff I now know, after reading a FAQ I also should have put in there). However, when I load the save game from before I still have the cash on me (although I'd put it in the suitcase before I saved my game) and it won't even let me put it in the suitcase, in fact it won't let me put any of the stuff I need to put in the suitcase in the suitcase.

Any ideas?

milkham

teiresias said:
OK, I think I have an issue, and might have a bug.

I've just been told by Iris on the stairs
that Dunning is searching everyone, so I went back to my room to stash stuff in my suitcase. I put the cash, the 217 key, and something else, can't remember in the suitcase, then saved the game, then went downstairs. Dunning was there and found something (the stuff I now know, after reading a FAQ I also should have put in there). However, when I load the save game from before I still have the cash on me (although I'd put it in the suitcase before I saved my game) and it won't even let me put it in the suitcase, in fact it won't let me put any of the stuff I need to put in the suitcase in the suitcase.

Any ideas?
did you try putting stuff back where you found it? like the toolbox?

teiresias

milkham said:
did you try putting stuff back where you found it? like the toolbox?

I'd put all the tools back earlier, all I have left is the stuff I need to put in the suitcase and it's not letting me do it.

teiresias said:
I'd put all the tools back earlier, all I have left is the stuff I need to put in the suitcase and it's not letting me do it.
Are you trying to put the stuff in when the suitcase is open? If so, try it when it's closed. In the 3d view.

Burnst

Finished it last week. Great game! Nintendo should've pushed it in the US under their 'Touch!' brand.

Anyway, is it worth playing again?

AshStrife

Buttonbasher said:
I'm working on 3rd, and some stuff is different. I'm being nice to Iris. I expect to get
The Grace Ending because I've already been shown a picture of her by Kevin

Any luck so far?

Interview with Takuya Miyagawa and Nintendo of Europe....
Unless you played Another Code: Two Memories for Nintendo DS, chances are the name Cing won’t ring any bells. This small development house is based in Fukuoaka, Japan, and employs only a few dozen people working on projects for a variety of game platforms.

As with Another Code, Cing have stayed true to their mantra of creating unique experiences, when developing Hotel Dusk: Room 215. Now we take a look behind the scenes, as we sit down for a chat with Mr. Takuya Miyagawa, CEO of Cing and Producer of Hotel Dusk, to discover how an interactive mystery novel is made…

Nintendo of Europe: Mr. Miyagawa, with the success of Another Code: Two Memories under your belt, how do you approach your next project?

Takuya Miyagawa: “When we started thinking about our next project after developing Another Code, we still really wanted to create a game that pursues the affinity between the adventure game and the Nintendo DS hardware, much like we did on Another Code. Yet we dared to refrain from making a direct sequel to Another Code, and chose the challenge of creating an adventure game that includes unprecedented forms of expression, which can reach out to a new audience.

“Thus Hotel Dusk became a mystery adventure game, focusing on a storyline with adult appeal. We very much tried to enable the game to dwell in the heart of the player - the theme of the game is that ‘everybody has a wish’.

“When you play a game, you will have a variety of expectations. You may want to feel exhilaration when you defeat enemies, or you may want to have a sense of accomplishment when you solve a mystery. Overall we believe that the adventure game is a genre that allows us to express ourselves freely, in which it is easier to convey the kind of experiences that can really pull at players’ heart strings. We feel that Hotel Dusk allowed us to truly highlight these aspects.”

NoE: Which works inspired you when creating Hotel Dusk? Are there any mystery novels or films that influenced you in particular?

TM: “The film ‘Paris, Texas’ by Wim Wenders inspired us most when creating Hotel Dusk. Other big influences were ‘Bagdad Café / Out of Rosenheim’, a German film from the 1980s. And where the animation is concerned, there’s the obvious influence of a-ha’s music video for ‘Take On Me’.”

NoE: Right, it’s a very distinct style of animation that adds a lot of emotion to the characters. Who was responsible for that, and how did you go about creating these animations?

TM: “Mr. Taisuke Kanesaki, the Director of the game, was in charge of the art direction, as well as character rendering. First, we create a character’s design, and then draw personal expressions. Based on that, we film similar-looking models and gather footage. After that, we turned that footage into data, and we basically traced the movements and added their shadows for the final effect that you see in Hotel Dusk.”

NoE: Could you give us some examples of the particular challenges you faced in setting up this interactive story?

TM: “We really wanted to properly express the stories of each character in Hotel Dusk, and so we decided to make the story like the film ‘Grand Hotel’, in which multiple characters’ different human dramas are all happening simultaneously during a limited time frame and in one confined setting.

“To make the story more interesting, we wanted to incorporate the possibilities of interactive dialogue, and the possible forms of expression this entails. From this idea we developed Hyde’s system of questioning and interrupting dialogue to pursue a train of thought.

“The interactive dialogue really came to life because of the fact that the screens are positioned vertically, and because we spent so much time on animating the different characters, so we were able to realise an abundance of different expressions. We have defined these characters with the utmost precision, down to the deepest details of their lives.”

NoE: Some critics might say that there is no such thing as an interactive story, that the player is eventually led to his story destiny. How much influence does the player of Hotel Dusk have on the resolution of the plot? Are there different endings?

TM: “In Hotel Dusk, players will play the main protagonist, Kyle Hyde. The player will select the actions and utterances, but he will not be able to completely control Kyle freely. He will imagine what Kyle really thinks, ponder what would Kyle Hyde do in this situation?, and thus go forward in the game.

“Therefore, if you select an action that Kyle would never do, sometimes it could be Game Over for you. Overall, the main storyline does not change, but we did prepare several kinds of endings that can be changed depending on how you play the game.”

NoE: In a novel, people can always continue reading, but in an interactive mystery novel, they might get stuck. How did you balance the interactive challenge with the desire to progress in the story?

TM: “During development, we take special care of crafting a storyline that can work as a video game. This time, we were aiming to create an adventure game with a storyline that people are more likely to find in novels, but which still has the elements that only games have, such as puzzles involving the player along the way, and that sense of accomplishment you will feel when you get through certain situations and challenges.

“It is very difficult to adjust the gaming balance between the storyline part and the actual game part, as the player is guided in the direction the plot takes. Our biggest consideration at all times is, how do people feel when they are playing? And we take it from there.”

NoE: How do you see the future of the interactive mystery novel as a genre of video games, and do you already have ideas for a follow-up title? And will we see Kyle Hyde again?

TM: “We think in the future, there will be games where people can deduct – can draw conclusions - with various other people at the same time, by making use of a network feature. We think at that time, games will become truly interactive.

“As for Mr. Hyde - we think that he is also looking forward to meeting you again.”

NoE: What would you wish for, if you spent the night in Room 215 of Hotel Dusk?

TM: “We hope that many people in Europe will like the game.”

NoE: Thank you very much for your time!

Solve the mystery of Hotel Dusk: Room 215 from April 13, only on Nintendo DS. Find out more on the Touch! Generations website!

ethelred

NoE: How do you see the future of the interactive mystery novel as a genre of video games, and do you already have ideas for a follow-up title? And will we see Kyle Hyde again?

TM: “We think in the future, there will be games where people can deduct – can draw conclusions - with various other people at the same time, by making use of a network feature. We think at that time, games will become truly interactive.

“As for Mr. Hyde - we think that he is also looking forward to meeting you again.”

Hotel Dusk 2? I'd totally be up for that.

At first I was All
milaaa.gif

Hotel Dusk Sequel am Confirmed?
Then:
kevin1.gif

Wait. They said if Trace Memory did well, they would make a sequel. That never happened...

But then of course, hasn't Hotel Dusk done MUCH better than Trace?

I'm still kinda:
kyle1.gif

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
The game comes out in Europe on the 13th

I pretty much enjoyed playing it; the story and characters are good, the gameplay is complete crap.

ethelred

McBacon said:
The game comes out in Europe on the 13th

I pretty much enjoyed playing it; the story and characters are good, the gameplay is complete crap.

It's an interactive novel. The story is the gameplay. Though it also has some puzzles -- some of which are okay, some of which are really good, some of which suck. I disagree that the gameplay is complete crap.

jgkspsx

Finished it this weekend. I can't imagine playing through it a second time or a third time, though I did mostly enjoy it. The plot was not good: it combined the constant ridiculous deus ex machinas of a c-grade thriller with the pace and excitement level of a character study film. I thought Another Code was a lot more fast-paced and intriguing (despite a similarly ludicrous plotline), myself.

I would buy a sequel, I think, but surely they can do better.

Top Bottom