• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

So I just received a random "hi xox" message from a random person on PSN. Naturally curious I answered and a semblance of a normal conversation followed. Until it dawned on me that I was talking to a bot.

How did I know it was a bot? The conversation didn't evolve correctly once I showed signs of pushback. Like I said, the conversation started normally, until the bot started mentioning that it does private cam shows. I said I don't like watching camgirls, but the bot just prattles on and even giving me a link (didn't click on it obviously).

I made screens of the conversation so I can prove this really happened, but honestly the last place I would expect to find these kinds of chatbots was on PSN.

UPDATE:
Screenshots of how you can recognize a bot profile, it's real easy!
2IYoZJb.jpg

Screenshots on how a typical bot conversation would go (obviously links have been censored).

Anyone else had this kind of "experience" on PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, etc.?

I did... I guess

Someone named "cuddlegrl_z56" sent me a message saying "heya hun", that profile had no other friends, decided to block it

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had a "hey cutie" response that I believe was a bot.
IMG_3063.jpg

0 games played from what I could tell and 0 trophies

I have never heard of this person nor have I met them inside of a game before.

Since I've been an early PSN adapter. I feel like I should have never received this message. I don't have any common friends either.

Looking forward to finding out I have a long lost great uncle who was a Prince of a small nation and recently passed away and whose inheritance I can claim for a small fee via PSN.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I've never used the PSN messaging app but it's almost always a bot if the user's got a "girl/gurl/grl" in the username and it opens with a flirtatious greeting.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Funny, I got one from someone named HoneyBunny_XOX while the wife and I were watching The Handmaiden this evening.

Very first time that has happened.

Orpheum

Yes this happened to me as well. I was invited into one groupchat with several hundred people and the host just posting links to sites with free psn codes...yeah...

and one account which goes by sweetgirlxx or some shit, i don't remember entirely. The messages were always about free psn codes.

Can we see the screens. So, you know, we're aware of what to watch for.

I updated the OP with screens on the bot profile for very easy recognition, and the actual conversation so people can how a typical bot conversation would go.

mortal

Gold Member
On an ethical level, this is annoyingly lame.

Although on a technological level, this is pretty impressive. It's mindblowing how fast AI is advancing, becoming more and more sophisticated, more natural in their simulation of engagement. All at an increasingly faster rate.

Computers have long already passed the Turing Test, yet no doubt, still have a ways to go. Still, that's crazy...

FinalAres

Oh me too. I've only just got a ps4 so I was kind of bummed that rando messages just happen. But I guess this kind of thing is rare?

Also OP, you totally took the bait at first :p

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
This might be better than the "OmG FreE PSN Pointzz!!!" Spam I get. It's gotten so bad that I'm seriously thinking of setting my messages to private.

ChrisD

I actually got my first spambot message on PSN over this past weekend. Just saw it in my notifications, still haven't even clicked the message. Can't remember their name or what the message preview was, but it was akin to what everyone else is posting about in here.

abd

Last week I got one of these too. I didn't realize this was what it was as I didn't respond.

As someone that is also 30, this exchange made me chuckle out loud while I was reading through the screenshots. What a strange response.

OP was thirsty until the very end. He fools no one.
I actually talk that casual to random strangers, but once private cam came into the conversation I started egging it on, knowing I was talking to a bot. The only thirst I had was for coffee in the morning, or water to spit out of my mouth of laughter.

Also OP, you totally took the bait at first :p
Well yeah, I was still half-sleeping when answering the messages, so it took me a few moments to dawn at me what the hell was going on, but as soon as private cam came into the conversation the quarter fell.

I actually talk that casual to random strangers, but once private cam came into the conversation I started egging it on, knowing I was talking to a bot. The only thirst I had was for coffee in the morning, or water to spit out of my mouth of laughter.

Well yeah, I was still half-sleeping when answering the messages, so it took me a few moments to dawn at me what the hell was going on, but as soon as private cam came into the conversation the quarter fell.

At least you're always up for a lil fun :p

Just kidding, I would respond exactly like you did (I would lie about my age though), just to counter bait the bait.

I got one that went

Bunnygurl123- hiya"
Me - "?"
Bunnygurl123- how old are you?

Thats where that exchange ended sorry you struck out Op.

Sony needs to do what Steam did and require a $5 purchase on PSN store before enabling friend requests and messaging features. Because you need PS Plus to play online now it shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom