• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well, one of my biggest fears is happening in 2021

Mondai

Gold Member
I just venting but I am really afraid right now, today we received a notice from our landlord saying that our lease will not be renewed and that we will have to move out by Jan 26. No reason was given for it (which I am aware they don't have to give a reason, but it still sucks not knowing what happened). As a veteran with bipolar and other disabilities , I am very stressed right now and getting close to a breakdown, my wife and her friend are looking for new apartments as we speak but I am still very stressed. We have 2 dogs and while they will take one of them, I am not sure what will happen to the other one, I really don't want to give him away since we love him very much, but it might have to be an option.

So far I can only thing of 3 possibilities that may come to pass:

1) We find a new place to live
2) We go back to PR (which I don't want to do, I hate PR)
3) She can stay with her friend and I will willingly become homeless by myself (there is no chance in hell I will let her be homeless)

Update: I've already contact my local VA for housing assistance, they gave me a bunch of numbers for me to call on Monday , I feel more optimistic now, but still worried.

DESTROYA

I guess I am scared because I haven't experienced this kind of situation before so I am still in shock, also makes me feel kind of like a loser.
Moving is s big deal and a lot of work , it stresses anyone out. Don’t feel like a looser , if your lease is up the landlord has every right to not renew, most times they want to update to charge more rent.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've moved several times this year due to various circumstances. Moving is a hassle but just know that you'll get through it and everything will work out in the end.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Just part of life when you're a renter. Never fun when it's not planned, but sounds like you have plenty of notice to find a new place. Try to chill and be positive, you may find a new place that's even better than your current rental.

SpiceRacz

The good thing is, you have plenty of time to plan and figure things out. When you say "PR," are you referring to Puerto Rico? Why do you hate it there?

I guess I am scared because I haven't experienced this kind of situation before so I am still in shock, also makes me feel kind of like a loser.
You don't need to, because stuff like this was out of your control.
Keep on hanging in, get a new flat/house and in a few months everything will be fine again.

Keep us updated how it went, mate...

eot

Banned
Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.” The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

isual

1. this experience will cultivate you to be more resilient for the future.
2. if you have the resources (money), it can help alleviate your situation. this is much worse if the scenario cannot be resolved with $.

Mondai

Gold Member
1. this experience will cultivate you to be more resilient for the future.
2. if you have the resources (money), it can help alleviate your situation. this is much worse if the scenario cannot be resolved with $.
I can pay for another place , it just makes me feel ashamed of myself for losing my home , I know it doesn’t make sense.

nush

Gold Member
Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.” The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

Finish the story, then what happened?

KiNeMz

Banned
Dont be discouraged fellow gaffer. Us human beings are amazing creatures and can make things happen when pushed into a corner. Its what we thrive on. Be optimistic, motivated, determined. Its time to face adversity head on. We are here for you mate.

T.v

I can pay for another place , it just makes me feel ashamed of myself for losing my home , I know it doesn’t make sense.
So there is no problem at all then? This is the risk of renting. Way to make it sound like a big deal. Don't be ashamed of losing your home. Be ashamed of dealing with it like this.

Mondai

Gold Member
So there is no problem at all then? This is the risk of renting. Way to make it sound like a big deal. Don't be ashamed of losing your home. Be ashamed of dealing with it like this.
Lol sorry, i admit I freak out about it but who wouldn’t freak out with this kind of news at least on the day you receive it.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Lol sorry, i admit I freak out about it but who wouldn’t freak out with this kind of news at least on the day you receive it.

Always expect your lease to be terminated or rent raised in the quarter leading up to the end of your contract in the future. Expect the worst, but hope for the best.

No need to feel ashamed if you've paid on time and have been a good citizen. If it was something you did, you likely would have received some kind of corrective notice in the last 9 months.

Mondai

Gold Member
Housing is important but it doesn’t sound like the end of the world
It is a big deal when you get this kind of news so suddenly with no place to move into, thankfully I have until Jan 26 to find a new place. I've already found a new place but I want to get more options.

Top Bottom