• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welp, geese have teeth on their tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.

izakq

Fifi.png

Reminds me of Fifi from Shrek Forever After.

The ‘teeth’ you see in the photos aren't the same as the things you and I carry around in our gums. Unlike lizards and mammals, somewhere during their evolution birds lost the ability to produce enamel. Enamel is the tough white stuff that coats our teeth and which makes them so hard. So those goose teeth won’t be as hard as your own but they would still come in handy cutting through things like grass. They would also let the goose get a better grip on slippery things like snails. What this photo shows is a row of sharp points, or serrations, inside the beak. Scientists have a word to describe those serrated birds’ ‘teeth’. They call them tomia.

You give a corgi a pair of glasses and he thinks he's Linnaeus.

Fritz

The ‘teeth’ you see in the photos aren't the same as the things you and I carry around in our gums. Unlike lizards and mammals, somewhere during their evolution birds lost the ability to produce enamel. Enamel is the tough white stuff that coats our teeth and which makes them so hard. So those goose teeth won’t be as hard as your own but they would still come in handy cutting through things like grass. They would also let the goose get a better grip on slippery things like snails. What this photo shows is a row of sharp points, or serrations, inside the beak. Scientists have a word to describe those serrated birds’ ‘teeth’. They call them tomia.

Then why don't you go kiss Chinner, smarty pants.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I love geese, they're beautiful. It makes me uncomfortable when walking near the water and they run up to me and hiss though, and this certainly won't help. Thanks.

So, it's just rooted to the tongue? It seems like they could loose those teeth easily. Fuck, imagine getting a tongue tooth ripped out.

Amir0x

Banned
fuck this latest tongue news, i am off this planet. going to sign up for that one way trip to Mars by that company, sounds like a good idea now

Clydefrog

They're not really teeth silly frog.

well whoop dee freaking doo

Log4Girlz

One of the largest sea birds to ever live was related to the goose family...and had similar toothed beaks. No idea about the tongue as that is soft tissue that hasn't survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom