• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welp- Someone stole my Nintendo Switch

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
51e7d2d0d448bf663863a067041911f1.gif

60008f3c5d6b3c037e218efd66c17f87235c1840_hq.gif

Thankfully we still have a second Nintendo Switch, so I'll still be able to play Metroid Dread this October.

I'm not even mad really; more disturbed if anything. The reason is that my Switch never leaves my home and is docked 99% of the time. So, someone was in our house and walked away with it. Nothing else was missing...not even a few pieces of jewelry and a couple of gift cards which were easily in view near the Switch that was stolen.

This was a thief who had eyes only for that tasty Nintendo goodness.

So, has anyone else here ever had a videogame console stolen from you? Maybe a computer or cellphone? Anything else expensive? "lollipop_disappointed:

(Hopefully not!)

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
That fucking sucks, I'm sorry. Make sure you call Nintendo and tell them so they don't use any stored card information on the e shop or your Nintendo account in any way.

Thank you! Yeah, I was thankfully able to use the Nintendo account website to reset my password, log out of all sessions, and remove any credit card information off of there.

Now just to call Nintendo customer support tomorrow during business hours to report it stolen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only time I remember someone stole off me was during the NES days and some ass stole one of my games. He eventually gave me $20.

As for theft, looking back at that or let's say someone stealing my Series X one day, its a pisser, but in no way compares to an old deadbeat tenant of mine who bailed middle of night and I lost $1000s. Was so fast to hurry up and move, she left half her useless shit there, which I had to spend an afternoon throwing it out in to the condo's dump bin load by load.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
He broke into your house, or were one of the windows just simply open? Either way a doors/windows check is necessary, but I assume you already did that.

Glad you and your people are safe.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Looks like it's someone you know who only specifically went in for the Switch.
He broke into your house, or were one of the windows just simply open? Either way a doors/windows check is necessary, but I assume you already did that.

Glad you and your people are safe.

Thanks! :)

Nothing seems touched at all. No broken windows or seemingly anything even remotely out of place. It's like the Switch just...disappeared.

Thankfully, I know someone has it and was using it to play games, because my profile showed up as logged in on my roommate's Switch and whoever it was had changed my normal "Ailynn Mii" avatar pic to a Princess Zelda icon. That's when I knew I hadn't simply misplaced it.

Last edited:
I don't let random people into my house (especially since covid)

u must living with alot of siblings or as wife with alot of male friends/boyfriends huh?

Last edited:
That's some horrible stuff to happen, and you're lucky if it's just your Switch.

If I were you, I'd double check the entire house, your belongings, electronics, cash and jewellery, and most importantly, find out what the intention of the thief was. If you have old folks at home, it'd be a nightmare for them to sleep at night, fearing this clown would come back. It's really hard to believe someone would break into your house, just to steal your used Switch, under $200 of value.

If the entrance/window wasn't tampered with/broken, it's one of the people who you bought to your place, or someone really close to you, I'm sorry to say this, might be a relative or a close friend.

I'm glad you and your folks are safe. Install CCTV cameras at strategic locations around your place, immediately.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Looks like it's someone you know who only specifically went in for the Switch.
I read an article on break-ins, where most of them occur from people who know the ones they intend to rob well. They've been in their place before, know what time's they come and leave, etc. It also said the majority of them happen during the day.

It's definitely suspicious if they literally touched nothing but the Switch.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Who do you think stole it? Random friend of a roommate or possibly a repairman that came through that day?

Had my Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time game stolen from me by a friend. I knew for a fact when I went to his house for the first time to record something we were working on and found it there. Fool didn't even have a DS lol

Ride got stolen. That was April 4th, 2020. Not sure who but I know for a fact it was some bitchass jackboy who didn't know shit about anything other than stealing cars. Some highway patrol officer found the stolen vehicle a month later parked in a red zone somewhere in the valley, ended up having to pay $511 to get it back

Star-Lord

I don’t get why they stole the Switch alone. Burglars don’t usually just take one specific item, unless they already knew the Switch was there and targeted the house for that, which could mean it’s someone you know. Either way, that fucking sucks. I’m so sorry. Home is where you’re supposed to feel safest.

Had someone steal my tv, laptop, pc and PS3 a while back. They even took my toaster.
Mate, if someone stole my toaster, they’d be brown bread.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Have you talked with Banjo64 Banjo64 's wife?
I'm missing context here, but I'll let you know if she ends up being the culprit! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I don't let random people into my house (especially since covid)

u must living with alot of siblings or as wife with alot of male friends/boyfriends huh?

That's the thing, really...we hardly ever have anyone in our house. The only people I can think of were a couple of AC unit repairmen before the Switch even vanished, and a lady that comes and cleans every so often. She's super nice and we've used her services for over a year and there was never even the tiniest thing ever missing before.

My two little nephews came over for a couple of hours about a week ago, but they don't even care about videogames whatsoever and would have no idea who Zelda even is. I would be absolutely shocked if it was one of them. They're good boys. :)

Our main suspicion is our next door neighbor, but that's only because they are kind of party people who can be a little loud and rowdy sometimes. Maybe they could have snuck in, but it's weird that they would ONLY take the Switch as there was plenty of other valuables in sight...and I don't see how anyone could have snuck in without us hearing.

I'm honestly at a loss. It could have been friggin' GANONDORF for all I know. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

I'm missing context here, but I'll let you know if she ends up being the culprit! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

That's the thing, really...we hardly ever have anyone in our house. The only people I can think of were a couple of AC unit repairmen before the Switch even vanished, and a lady that comes and cleans every so often. She's super nice and we've used her services for over a year and there was never even the tiniest thing ever missing before.

My two little nephews came over for a couple of hours about a week ago, but they don't even care about videogames whatsoever and would have no idea who Zelda even is. I would be absolutely shocked if it was one of them. They're good boys. :)

Our main suspicion is our next door neighbor, but that's only because they are kind of party people who can be a little loud and rowdy sometimes. Maybe they could have snuck in, but it's weird that they would ONLY take the Switch as there was plenty of other valuables in sight...and I don't see how anyone could have snuck in without us hearing.

I'm honestly at a loss. It could have been friggin' GANONDORF for all I know. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:
its probably in the sofa

Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

My gut feeling says that it's these two innocent little fellas. You should go to their place, UNINVITED, and check their rooms. Just be casual, and go talk to their parents and pretend you just came by as were nearby their place and came for some work.

bender

What time is it?

Solid guesses.

benderswitch.jpg

Kupfer

So, someone was in our house and walked away with it. Nothing else was missing...not even a few pieces of jewelry and a couple of gift cards which were easily in view near the Switch that was stolen.
I'm mad just about reading someone did this to someone. But I'm curious, what's your living situation like?
Do you live in a shared apartment with a high turnover of people, or was someone actually in your own apartment/house where no one else has access except you and your family? It would fuck me up if someone had actually gained access to my own apartment and in that case I would definitely file a report, if only for the insurance.
But I'm also careful, I live in a big city myself and even if I'm only gone for a short time, I always lock up and close all the windows too.

Edit:
I just read this about your nephews.... couple of years ago, much like your Switch, my Pokemon trading card album disappeared, original and well preserved cards from the very first generation, complete collection still from my first years in school, including shiny Charizard etc.
It couldn't have been anyone other than my nephews, cousins or neighbors kids visiting at some point as no one else would have been interested in such a thing. Of course, I'll never see this album again and I'm sure whoever took it didn't even know the value and the cards probably tattered in some kid's room over the years.

Last edited:
Actually, yes. When I was 18 my parents threw me out after years of abuse and whatnot. A " friend" of mine offered me to come live with him until I find my footing. He was abusing drugs and said that I have a good influence on him so he kinda begged me. Soo while I was living on his couch I borrowed a psx from a friend. The same psx I sold him a coupla weeks earlier. One day I come back from work and the console was gone. His place was always crowded with people. All losers n shit. Long story short... I found out, not only did they spit in my food and used my toothbrush to clean the toilet, he also sold the psx to a friend of his. After I moved out he continued to mock me when he saw me in the streets knowing full well if I ever touched him he would immediately call the cops and sue me. To this day I want to curbstomp his as everytime I hear his name. Fucking bastard. Ruben Mendez.. The biggest waste of cells that ever graced the face of the earth.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I left my psp with gow ghost of sparta in my backpack inside a bus in amsterdam,so not technically stolen, more like a stoned gift from me to whoever finded my backpack.

Inside there was also 2 ganja muffins and a cheap herb vaporizer, the motherfucker probably had the time of his life...

Last edited:

NewYork214

I feel for you. Sorry this happened to you.

Had my house robbed in 2016. My launch ps3, vita, wii u pad only (idiots), and about 30 ps3 games were all stolen. Luckily I had my ps4 with me.

In my stupidity, broke my hand out of anger that day too. Nice boxers fracture. Miss my vita and backwards compatible ps3 😥.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Actually, yes. When I was 18 my parents threw me out after years of abuse and whatnot. A " friend" of mine offered me to come live with him until I find my footing. He was abusing drugs and said that I have a good influence on him so he kinda begged me. Soo while I was living on his couch I borrowed a psx from a friend. The same psx I sold him a coupla weeks earlier. One day I come back from work and the console was gone. His place was always crowded with people. All losers n shit. Long story short... I found out, not only did they spit in my food and used my toothbrush to clean the toilet, he also sold the psx to a friend of his. After I moved out he continued to mock me when he saw me in the streets knowing full well if I ever touched him he would immediately call the cops and sue me. To this day I want to curbstomp his as everytime I hear his name. Fucking bastard. Ruben Mendez.. The biggest waste of cells that ever graced the face of the earth.
That is horrible dude. I'm sorry that happened to you

Last edited:

poodaddy

What the fuck dude?!? Dude I'm fucking furious and I don't even know you. I'd literally pay you for the opportunity to kick the living shit out of this cum stain. Fuck man, this shit makes me far madder than it should. I fucking hate it when people wrong those who trust them, makes me fucking sick man, literally nauseous.

You should pay some dude that neither of you guys know to fuck this sack of shit up in a dark parking lot somewhere. I'm not a big fan of violence in general, but some people only understand one thing, and that thing is pain.

What the fuck dude?!? Dude I'm fucking furious and I don't even know you. I'd literally pay you for the opportunity to kick the living shit out of this cum stain. Fuck man, this shit makes me far madder than it should. I fucking hate it when people wrong those who trust them, makes me fucking sick man, literally nauseous.

You should pay some dude that neither of you guys know to fuck this sack of shit up in a dark parking lot somewhere. I'm not a big fan of violence in general, but some people only understand one thing, and that thing is pain.
Appreciated, man. Yeah, it was a horrible experience for me and I couldn't do shit about it. Best thing is.. Coupla years later I met him at a busstop. He sees me, casually walks over to me and asked, as if nothing ever happened between us, how I am. I looked him dead in the eye and told him to never ever talk to me again or else I'll kill him. He knew I wasn't joking and kept his distance. Haven't seen him ever since.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Well that's shitty. At least they didn't take anything else. Get your locks changed!

I had a PS1 stolen once which had Total NBA 96 in it. A bunch of of things were stolen as well, some of my Dad's & brother's things.

The cops got the PS1 back to me a few months later (nothing else), but instead of Total NBA 96 in the drive it had NBA Jam TE in it. It was the same system though, because the memory card had a Ridge Racer sticker I put on it still there.

GreatnessRD

Damn, that's fucked up. But this sounds like 100% someone you knew if they only took the Switch. Just as others said in the thread, make sure you hit up Nintendo to remove your card info if you had it linked and whatnot.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
In before OP finds it next to the toilet seat or in the freezer where he left it.

Prison Mike

Banned

60008f3c5d6b3c037e218efd66c17f87235c1840_hq.gif

Thankfully we still have a second Nintendo Switch, so I'll still be able to play Metroid Dread this October.

I'm not even mad really; more disturbed if anything. The reason is that my Switch never leaves my home and is docked 99% of the time. So, someone was in our house and walked away with it. Nothing else was missing...not even a few pieces of jewelry and a couple of gift cards which were easily in view near the Switch that was stolen.

This was a thief who had eyes only for that tasty Nintendo goodness.

So, has anyone else here ever had a videogame console stolen from you? Maybe a computer or cellphone? Anything else expensive? "lollipop_disappointed:

(Hopefully not!)
Do you want me to hunt them for you.
arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Toots

Gold Member
That's lame, i'm sorry it happened to you...
And the feeling of having a stranger invade your place is hard to shake off, even if he didn't steal much.

The plot thickens !
Ganondorf would have left some purple rot or maybe a corrupted ancient machine so i don't think he's the culprit...
Do you have an attic?
If so it might be some ghost haunting there, who was bored and wanted to know what all the fuss was with BOTW. He took your swithc, then tried and liked the game so much, he changed your avatar to Zelda in hommage to the selfless princess who gave her all for us to live.
Case closed, Imma go hit my pipe, and maybe play some violin.
Jah Bless

sD8fjqd.jpg

Do you have any friends you’re not too close with that came over recently? Back in the day my buddy from high school had this one guy over we both didn’t like that much (but he was the new kid) and all three of us were hanging out. Then the next day the guy left and my friend’s 360 wireless adapter and copies of Fallout 3 and RE5 magically disappeared.

Sometime people you think you know are dicks.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My wife left her side of the garage open about 10 months ago and at first I thought not too much about it. Then I noticed about $500 worth of my tools had vanished when I went to hang a picture with my power drill🤦‍♀️

They didn’t come in the house at least, and left the most expensive stuff. Still, it’s a shitty feeling knowing someone’s violated you that way

Last edited:
Top Bottom