• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westerado: Double Barreled |OT| When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk

d1a8KN4.gif

Developer - Ostrich Banditos | Publisher - Adult Swim Games
$14.99, PC/Mac (Steam)
Launch Trailer | Interactive Trailer

---
Play the original flash game
Listen to the soundtrack from the original game here
---
Westerado: Double Barreled is Ostrich Banditos’ homage to Spaghetti Westerns about dirty pasts, consequences and taking a hold of your future. When your family is murdered by a mysterious desperado, you set out into the world to take revenge. Take control of your own fate and that of others, all using your trusty shooting iron. If words aren’t enough to persuade a character, draw your revolver and see what happens. You can shoot whomever, whenever you like. Be an outlaw or a saint, explore the open world, meet a varied cast of characters and decide how you want your revenge story to unfold.

WDB_Rifle.gif
WDB_Shotgun.gif

• Hunt down the desperado that killed your family and explore the stories of the world’s inhabitants. Discover all the possibilities and create a unique story each time you play.
  • Ride, shoot, and threaten your way through an expansive Wild West, expanded with all-new environments like the forest, desert and mountains.
  • Soak up the western sun in a world built out of the grittiest pixels this side of Montezuma, and an expanded western soundtrack, featuring live recorded banjos, trumpets, saloon pianos and more!
  • GUNS! Let your gun do the talking, by drawing and cocking it during any conversation. Shoot whoever you want, whenever you want, no exceptions. Pick your favorite weapon, whether it’s a revolver, shotgun or even a tomahawk.
  • Multiple save slots to keep your progress across sessions and explore the splitting narrative.
  • Technical upgrades to include full controller support and 720p/1080p display resolutions.

Changes from the flash game
We basically reworked the game from the ground up, but it still has some similar content.

Biggest changes:
- World's at least triple the size of the browser version.
- You can get different guns! Shotgun, rifle, double revolver, tomahawks, bolas.
- Different playable characters you can unlock!
- New music to go with all new environments, such as forests, deserts and mountains.
- All new characters and existing characters have longer storylines.
- It feels waaaay better to play.
- Save games, full screen support, controller support and local 2-player coop!

2bmlSpq.jpg

Reviews
PC Gamer - 83/100
If you're still miffed Red Dead Redemption never came to PC, Westerado: Double Barreled might help scratch that itch, albeit on a much smaller and simpler scale...
Otherwise, Westerado is fun, a humorous and violent detective tale in the Old West. It's well written, the pixel art and animation are nicely done, and the fact that you can draw your gun whenever you want, and that you can shoot key characters dead and just keep on playing, gives it a great sense of freedom.
More to be added soon

WfMwEEX.jpg

Phawx

I just did a Quick Look of this recently. Game is SOO good. Truly remarkable and the audio is CRAZY good!

Highly recommended.

r3n4ud

This will be day one for sure. Won't get to play until early next week due to work, but I'll have something to look forward to!

Haha I remember when I played the flash game I killed the first guy you talk to just for the fuck of it I think it's your uncle or something.

Phawx

Mind if I post your video?
http://youtu.be/ItZp400oB9M
Have any other impressions?

Yea no worries. Thanks kindly for linking.

To expand a bit on my time with it, the thing that is still most prominent to me about Westerado is the music.

The authenticity to the material as well as being appropriately timed blew me away. That isn't to downplay how fun the game is, (because the game is as close to a 2D Red Dead Redemption as you can get) it's only to highlight how the music was masterfully done. The quick strum of an acoustic guitar when something dramatic is on the screen but still managing to flow with the rest of the soundtrack remains to be a distinct bulletpoint for me.

I never knew that I really wanted a 2D sandbox spaghetti western. Considering that you have full agency to control the narrative of the game, your playstyle actually matters and dictates how the story will unfold. Will you simply carry-out what your quest log tells you? Or will you be an outlaw? A vigilante?

If you have a quest that informs you to visit the owner of a tavern and you shoot that owner, that quest is no longer available as well as closing the tavern down.

I can see people wanting to play this game multiple times because the dialogue options, including the action options of intimidation or nonchalance (pointing your gun at someone or just walking away) alter how the NPCs talk with you and is so refreshing to see.

It can be tremendously fun to just threaten and accuse everyone you speak with but it can also be fun to play as a detective.

Westerado is crazy good. Normally I am a bit reserved when recommending games, but I am very confident that pretty much everyone would have a blast with this game.

Very much recommended.

Instro

Seems pretty awesome, the thread yesterday definitely piqued my interest. I'll be checking it out at some point.

Salsa

just won a key for this on the release stream

excited to play it. Caught my eye way back with the Giantbomb Quick Look

derExperte

How much has been changed from the flash version?

We basically reworked the game from the ground up, but it still has some similar content.
Biggest changes:

- World's at least triple the size of the browser version.
- You can get different guns! Shotgun, rifle, double revolver, tomahawks, bolas.
- Different playable characters you can unlock!
- New music to go with all new environments, such as forests, deserts and mountains.
- All new characters and existing characters have longer storylines.
- It feels waaaay better to play.
- Save games, full screen support, controller support and local 2-player coop!

Great, thanks. Definitely going to grab this in a few minutes, spent enough time with the flash version that even on its own they deserve the money.

Anyone have a tip for the third hired hand to help with the mines? Found a miner and rancher but can't find another one.

Edit: Got it on a second playthrough, he wouldn't help me in the first *shrug*

Strange issue, computer turned off due to a storm and upon starting it back up the game won't launch. It shows only the game icon but if you go to the taskbar and hover over the icon the window says "An unexpected error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience. An error report has been sent to us. Pres ESC to quit"

Same thing happens after re-installing the game so is my save file corrupted?

Cade

Does anybody know how long is the game? Like 4 hours?

I finished the storyline the first time in about two hours, but I didn't do anywhere near everything and there's various things that unlock to add replay value. Great game, didn't feel too short at all.

SummitAve

Banned
Shame they weren't able to market the game a bit more, truly a great time. Some of the endings are hilarious.

Even word of mouth seems lacking. The game seemingly checks all the boxes of a popular indie release, but not a lot of people are taking interest in it. Is it the adult swim name? Or that it used to be a flash game?

Play this game!!!

Even word of mouth seems lacking. The game seemingly checks all the boxes of a popular indie release, but not a lot of people are taking interest in it. Is it the adult swim name? Or that it used to be a flash game?

Play this game!!!
Super House of Dead Ninjas was really popular and that was originally a flash game. Volgarr The Viking was really popular and that has the Adult Swim branding. And the original Westerado flash game was really well received. So the lack of attention for Double Barreled is weird

Top Bottom