• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

western movies

nikolino840

I love spaghetti western!
The old ones are Better...In recent films there is no sweat, dirt or dust..

lo-chiamavano-trinit%C3%A0.jpg

per-un-pugno-di-dollari1-640.jpg

Cravis

I don't think! Maybe when i was Little..Kurt Russell and val Kilmer? I have to Watch It thank you!
Oh man you are in for a treat. Tombstone is amazing. Val Kilmer IS Doc Holiday. Kurt Russell is at the top of his game. So many memorable supporting roles by Bill Paxton (RIP), Michael Biehn, Sam Elliott, Powers Boothe (RIP again), and an almost unrecognizable Stephen Langford. I could go on and on.

Spaghetti westerns are great. I'm not sure I'd have ever truly gotten into westerns if I hadn't watched For a Few Dollars More on a random afternoon. After that I had to have more and boy was there some great stuff (And plenty I've still yet to see).

For non-Spaghetti, one definitely work mentioning is The Wild Bunch. Great movie about aged outlaws nearing the end of their rope. Long and violent with great performances all around.

While the story and characters are fantastic, one aspect that cannot be ignored is the action and execution of said action. The staging, photography and editing of the action scenes holds up even today, opening with an intense opening robbery shootout and ending with a legendary action fest involving a mounted machinegun. It's exciting, surprisingly gory(Basically squib-world) and I feel like this had to have been a direct influence on Rambo '08's ending sequence. Said ending action sequence is worth watching the movie for alone, though you're getting a great movie with it, so you can't lose. :messenger_winking:

desertdroog

The Searchers, Rio Bravo and Winchester '73 are my favorite old westerns.

Hell Or High Water, No Country for Old Men, Logan and Sicario are awesome modern takes using the Western style of storytelling.

desertdroog

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is kind of a crossover between heist and western, though heist movies are a subset of westerns, like train robberies, etc.. I wouldn't put Humphrey Bogart as a western actor, he still has that gangster swagger in it.

Also, The Revenant, True Grit (love the John Wayne and Cohen Bros versions equally) and Tombstone are great modern era westerns. Even if Tombstone gets a bit overly westerny western, it's still a must watch for the character actors whenever it came on t.v.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

If you haven’t seen the best western of all time then do yourself a favour.
Note: This is before a lot of the cast became big names in hollywood.
images

220px-Unforgiven_2.jpg

Unforgiven. Top film.

I also enjoyed High Plains Drifter. Bit of a twist on the classic Western, but I do enjoy a western where Clint turns up and gets trigger happy.

Ditto, The Outlaw Josey Wales.

GreyHorace

The Wild Bunch is my all time favorite Western. As much as people find comfort in those western movies that have clear cut good guys and bad guys, the moral ambiguity and violence of Sam Peckinpah's film always struck me as more truthful and real about the time period.

the-wild-bunch-remake.jpg

At second would be Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. Here we see the Western deconstructed to it's core and given new life in the same breath.

unforgiven-1992-movie-clint-eastwood-will-munny-rifle-review.jpg

I also love the Coen Brother's remake of True Grit. This may seem heresy to western fans but I've never liked John Wayne. I much prefer Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn and Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross is fantastic.

true-grit.jpg

Another favorite is a more lighthearted example. The feature film version of the classic TV western Maverick starring Mel Gibson. It's a great comedy and big plus for including James Garner (the star of the TV series) in the cast.

p3CGoUy33K7xDGE61YIYOnZmGaV.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom