• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westone (Wonder Boy/Monster World) Interviews, Lost Aracde Game Found, MW FAN Page

Should I start with MWIII and then move on to MW and MWIV? Accessible and easy might be something I'd want to get out of the way so I don't have to worry about it later.

Should I start with MWIII and then move on to MW and MWIV? Accessible and easy might be something I'd want to get out of the way so I don't have to worry about it later.
I really don't see an issue with that, although you'll miss out on subtle references each subsequent game holds.

MWIII is particular is chocked full of little bits of the previous four games (including Wonder Boy and Monster Lair).

@MUWANdo

Banned

MW2, 3 and 4 are all fairly tame, and roughly equivalent in terms of difficulty (aside from MW3's final boss, which was made harder for the international release). Monster Land is the only one in the Vintage Collection that's really, genuinely tough.

Shion

What do you think? How do you imagine a new Monster World after all these years? What do Westone need to make a great comeback?
1: Kickstarter
2: MWIII-style overworld.
3: Bring back the awesome transformation elements from MWII.
4: A modern and more sophisticated battle-system (a la Symphony of the Night).
5: Amazing hand-drawn graphics (do not even consider 2.5D) and awesome animations.

You can't even imagine how bad I want this...

Pixel art and both Sakamoto and Watanabe on the soundtrack, please. Okunari is our godfather at this point!
I wouldn't count on pixel art, if anything happens. Nishizawa even stated in the interviews that he had some thoughts for a 3D game and I believe Japan is really lacking in 2D dot artists at the moment. Never say never, though!

5: Amazing hand-drawn graphics (do not even consider 2.5D) and awesome animations.

I've never donated to a kickstarter before but i'd empty my wallet for this. Someone has to make this happen.

Monster World IV controls.

Shion

I wouldn't count on pixel art, if anything happens. Nishizawa even stated in the interviews that he had some thoughts for a 3D game and I believe Japan is really lacking in 2D dot artists at the moment. Never say never, though!
A 3D game would need a bigger budget though...
Anyhow, if they ever make a 3D game, it needs to feature cel-shaded graphics and an awesome overworld.

More similar to Landstalker with 3D platforming and action-adventuring, in my mind anyway. There are some key differences between MW and Zelda, and it's important to remember that Nishizuka was initially influenced to make Monster Land by his love of Wizardy and platforming games. So: the only real Nintendo influences at work were from Miyamoto's platformers, although it's hard not to attribute some concepts from MW to Zelda at the same time.

Shion

I'm not sure I'd want a 3D Monster World. Isn't that just another Zelda clone?
I prefer a proper Monster World V myself, but I wouldn't say no to a 3D Monster World. I guess it would be quite similar to a 3D Zelda game.
Just less puzzle-based, it would feature more RPG elements and platforming.

Then IDK how similar it would be to a 3D Zelda, lol. That depends on how many mechanics and game systems get shared between franchises, what with a 3D MW and all.

Either way: I'd rather have a 2D MW completed for today's audience, albeit not with concessions and compromises to modern-day game design.

Bisboch

Neo Member
More similar to Landstalker with 3D platforming and action-adventuring, in my mind anyway. There are some key differences between MW and Zelda, and it's important to remember that Nishizuka was initially influenced to make Monster Land by his love of Wizardy and platforming games. So: the only real Nintendo influences at work were from Miyamoto's platformers, although it's hard not to attribute some concepts from MW to Zelda at the same time.

After all, even if Link was the first to play flute, Shion was the first to play Ocarina, wasn't he?

I think that the whole point is: what really makes a Monster World game a Monster World game? Which are the "riffs" so to say, of the saga? Both 2D and 3D are of course possible paths to follow, as long as the correct gameplay/setting mood is preserved (and expanded) IMHO.

What makes that Monster World feeling, in your opinion? Revival medicines? Legendary Equipment? Palms? Sakamoto?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
What makes that Monster World feeling, in your opinion? Revival medicines? Legendary Equipment? Palms? Sakamoto?

A lot of it has to do with the graphics, I think. Large, distinct characters - the guys from Monster World II are easily the most detailed of any 8-bit game. And the goofy, exaggerated expressions when anything gets hit. Outside of MWIV, the world itself is really just a rundown of standard video game tropes, though there are specific themes running throughout (the design of the towns, a tropical era, etc.) The sound effects too are very important - Westone is like Tri-Ace in that you can immediately tell it's one of their games just by listening to the sound of attacks connecting or coins flying.

There's also a greater emphasis on combat than a typical Zelda game - Monster World II places heavily emphasis on this since so many of the dungeons are basically enemy gauntlets. So more combat and platforming over Zelda-style puzzle solving, keeping closer to its arcade roots a bit. Lots of hidden stuff too, the kind that requries either foreknowledge or revisiting areas with new powers. I think that part takes more from the original Metroid than Zelda.

A 3D Monster World done right would just make me want a 3D Landstalker to call my own. I think the latter franchise is more fit for 3D movement and depth anyway, unlike MW with its Metroid-like qualities.

You know what I want to see? A remastered version of Aurail. Game's darn good for System 16.

Naeval

A) I want to play a good 3d Monster World game. I think it could be interesting. BUT.
B) Possible, will be better to make a 2d new Monster World game, but will be less risky and interesting.

By the way... the only one 3d game that has reminded me a bit to Monster World is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKhz5958itI (it's possible to embed videos here?, how?)

Someone played it?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Having classically never played MW series (Wish I had though!), and just recently getting into it with Dragons Curse (TG 16 VC), beating Monster Land, and working on MWIV currently, here's what I'd like to see in a MWV:

1. HD 2D! At least as solid looking as the Shantae games. Co-Develop with SNKP, give us some beautiful spritework! (Or as a last resort, Arc System Works?)... with all the people who still make quality 3DS, Browser, and Doujin 2D, should be able to find a team somewhere! Kidnap Paul Robertson if you have to... Scott Pilgrim-like spritework would actually work fairly well for this game! Properly up-scaled 90's Era Arcade 2D, with a larger color palette / better animations being the only boons of the new hardware.

Heck, hire some of us from the recent Neogaf Pixel Art Challenge! I'd love to help on something like this, heh heh.

2. 3 Ideas for multiplayer:
> Straightforward "same old game, but now with 3+ players!" style as traditional MW games. Aquario seems to already hint to this idea, build off it?

>Toejam & Earl Style: Stick everyone in a huge zone, and let them split up and explore, with the screen going dynamic splitscreen for offline play, and maybe even for online, yet maintaining the main screen largest for the main player online.

> Secrets of Mana style. I could see Monster World maintaining similiar playability, scope, and enjoyment as a mana-esque game, and I swear we don't have enough of those overall.​

3. Multiple Player characters. Bring back the old heroes, give them the unique aspects that make each of them great. Make Asha work with Pepa and have her HUGE shield and up and down stabs, give the Dragon's Trap hero his transformations, etc.

If, for some reason, they HAD to go 2.5D/full 3D, well then I'd shift request some:

1. Large Player Cast, taking advantage of 3D's strengths. Make it so that armor and item equips show up physically on the characters. Or, alternatively, give all the MW heroes as an option, but make it so they could each use any of the series abilities. Hence, Asha could search for armor like ML hero, and level up that way, or Original Hero could get his own Pepalagoo equivalent + button blocking and up/down stabs. Or, if choosing the transformation abilties, they'd each have forms that mimic the style / creatures of their specific gameworlds.

2. Make it similiar to Castlevania Harmony of Despair. Zooming in and out of the 1 huge map (though I'd cover unexplored areas with Fog-of-war style Dark Clouds), and make it more of a co-op adventure, with some item-collecting for item forging. Doesn't have to be overdone, just enough to maybe give the possibility of each person weilding a different wep type as they see fit. (Less about "grinding for the best weapon", and more about "Fighting to get the wep you want, and strengthen it!")

3. Post-game legacy stage gauntlet: Re-create old stages and boss battles of past games in this new style. For the Devs, it'd be a way to prove they can capture the old styles in this new style, a proof-of-concept. For the players, it'd be a nice bonus nostalgia romp through familiar favorites, with new gameplay.

---

With Vita, 3DS, Brower, Tablet, Phone, and Downloadable games all bring very viable platforms for classic 2D style gaming, I think the cost of making the game pure 2D / stylistic, 2D-like 3D could easily be mitigated by making it at a level where the assets could be re-used for unique games on each platform.

The character art for the MW games are so charming, it'd be great to play through games that look just like them!

@MUWANdo

Banned
One more bit of fun from the last few days (which I meant to put in the OP but oops).

Jin Watanabe tweeted an unreleased song from Monster World IV, which seemingly would have been used in a typical Wonder Boy/Monster World tropical stage.

Listen (and download) here:
http://soundcloud.com/doublebytes/wonderful-southern-islands

Nishizawa just posted this on the MWFAN page with an explanation from Wanatabe:

I jumped ahead, and have composed tropical BGM for southern country stages. I was convinced that the MonsterWorld series included a southern country stage by all means. However..., the southern country did not appear in MW4 as everybody knew, and this was rejected.

MW artist Maki Ohzora even offered up this artwork for a mock album cover:

554639_488236051191465_934517885_n.jpg

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Nishizawa has been tweeting his exploits with getting Aquario to work, usign the hash tag #dev_aquario:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/#dev_aquario

I translated most of them, which are tagged there, but the gist is: one of the graphic ROMs are missing, so he needs to recreate it from the source files he has. But it's not entirely in the right format, and he's missing the color data for the palette. Literally the only screenshot for this game is that one vaguely blurry photograph that's been circulating, so he has to use for the basis, at least for now.

Thanks for the translations, disco. I've been reading your tweet alongside Nishizawa's each morning.

This morning had a nice treat, the first look at the character sprites for Aquario!

sKBd6.png

robot

This pretty awesome - and a coincidence since I just picked up Aurail a few days ago. Had no idea Westone made it, thought they just made Wonderboy.

Can't wait to see more of this game unfold.

Who knows how long it could take. What's important to know is that SEGA's going to really focus on digital for the most part, and he's in the lead with digital releases. The best producer SEGA has at the moment, I'd bet.

Top Bottom