• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 3 things do you want the most from the next PlayStation?

Pretty simple question. Everyone is looking for something different. What would you like from the next iteration of the popular game console as a gamer? Choose anything you would like, want or desire. I'll go first. :)

1. Full Backwards Compatbility (With improvements.)

So this isn't something that would be make or break for me, but I understand that PS3 is very exotic and without a SoC in the PS4, backwards compatibility was always going to be a big ask. However this new console should be powerful enough to brute force it and hopefully add some new bells and whistles. By this, what I mean more specifically is features that software such as EPSXE offer. I believe a new PlayStation should be fully backward compatible, from PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and PS Vita. But I believe these games should be upscaled to 4K and offer other visual features such as anti-aliasing, texture filtering etc. While I understand that you might be asking a lot for PS3 titles, but I can play PS1 titles in 4K on a relatively modest computer these days, not designed with gaming in mind and the improvements are mind blowing. As someone with a large back catalogue, I would love to enjoy all of my games and I would certainly like to go back to titles such as InFamous 2 which would be amazing in 4K but is currently lacking a remaster.

2. Consistency Top Quality Exclusives

Okay, so even though I'm from the UK, I don't really feel like Jim Ryan and the current line up of management at SCEI have the kind of synergy that Andrew House, Shawn Layden and Shuhei Yoshida have. They have a different vision of what they believe should be the future of PlayStation and where they want to go with the console and I'm a little worried that they'll quickly push cloud gaming and Sony will very quickly have another PS3 situation. This is very much where the games suffer and currently I would argue that Sony have the strongest first party line-up. I would hate for first party development studios to suffer their creative visions from management pandering them to deliver games that suit the cloud, the popular gaming trends etc. I know that Ninja Theory stepped away from a sequel to Heavenly Sword and a big reason for that was Sony requiring PSN features in the game which wouldn't fit with a single player action adventure. It would drive me mad to see micro-transactions fuelling future titles or developers chasing popular genre's at request like Sony Bend creating a MOBA or Battle Royale title because you know, popular. There are a lot of genre's that Sony haven't yet cracked and don't have a staple title for and I would like to see that change and that Sony have set a level of standard with their first party software and I would like to see that continue instead of taking a whole new direction.

3. The Player must Remain the Focus

This might seem similar to what I've already said in my second choice but there is a difference here. I don't want the next PlayStation to focus on digital delivery and neglecting physical media users. I don't want cloud and PS Now to be consistently pushed on me and I don't want to see PlayStation Plus go up in a price and do nothing more.

I would like to see Sony continue to make the player the core of the console. If it means acquiring developers or opening new studios to cater to different genre's of game or to add depth to their first party line-up then that's cool. (Dream acqusition, Konami.) I would like to see the mentality remain consistent that single player games can be successful and enjoyable but I wouldn't like Sony to neglect multi-player to damage the consoles social prospects. I would like Sony to continue to listen to gamers and what they want so that some day we may have an E3 like 2015 where many gamers dreams came true. I don't want to see Sony cross selling services or devices, pushing their TV streaming services on us but it has to be said that PlayStation Plus needs to improve. The product as it stands is just multiplayer for me and I don't play it enough. The value of PlayStation Plus needs to improve and this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I haven't downloaded a game from PS+ since the PS3. I'm not kidding.

GreatnessRD

Backwards compatibility with PS3, PS4 (Would be ecstatic about PS1 and 2, but the others are my priority)
A faster UI system if I dashboard while an application is still open.

Mista

Banned
1- The good first party exclusives they always gave me
2- NO MORE AIRPLANES TAKING OFF
3- Redesign the hideous Store

And thats about it really

-Fair price
-No leftist/sjw agenda on their AAA
-No censure in games
Yeah sorry to break it down for you but you're asking for a lot..

Jagz

Free online gaming.
No censorship in 3rd party/ leftist self censorship in 1st party.
No DLC recommendations in voice search.

kretos

Banned
fklQACZ.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
1. Continue with some of the greatest action adventure games

2. Backwards compatibility with PS4

3. Quieter console

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Full BC with all previous hardware (maybe minus ps3) with some extra features like save states.
Quiet fan
Good exclusives

brap

Banned
games that arent made for emasculated gaped mouth males
no censorship
less third person over the shoulder survival crafting narrative driven cinematic experiences

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
1. Same excellent UI and dashboard with folders day one.
2. Sequels to all the amazing PS4 exclusives.
3. New IP's that turn into franchises.

Give me those three things in the generation and I will easily be a happy PS5 gamer and camper. Anything else is a bonus.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
1. I'd love full game backwards compatibility.
2. Compatibility with all ps4 peripherals. I have a bunch of different colored ds4's I havent even used yet.
3. Suspend/resume for more than one game at a time. 3 would be nice!

Games are a given so i dont feel the need to have them on the list.

Codes 208

-better controller battery
-BC
-less emphasis on AAA “cinematic single player experiences”, as much as i love a good campaign, i would also love to have games with co-op and multiplayer. Like bloodborne 2.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
-ps1 ps2, ps4 backwards compatibility.

-Gravity rush 3 and more Japan Studio games

- 3D Trophies or 3d save data (like save data of ps2 icons)

-Keep social elements (Share photos and gameplay) no more stupid youtubers

Shmunter

1. Drop the hilariously sad CopyStation bit - fast updates
2. Much more inspired dashboard - games need to pop, nice covers, preview videos, fully fledged library management - ability to find multiplayer games, specific genre, sort by release date, etc.
3. Powerful but quiet

Notable mentions that are assumed to be already part of the system; backwards compatibility, state of the art PSVR 2, controller innovation, minimal latency remote play

Last edited:
quiet operation and efficient cooling

faster download speeds from PSN

retain the easy hard drive swapping (depending on how the SSD works I understand if this isn’t possible)

1. Full disc based BC, not the download only select titles method Microsoft has.
2. Allow me to hook up an external HDD to store my games.
3. Continue to focus on blockbuster single player games.

Aidah

1. Go back to being more Japanese, they're way too western now.
2. Actual innovation/improvement in input device, instead of shooters with analog sticks and buckets of aim assist for another 7-8 years.
3. Stop doing timed exclusive deals, the idea is pathetic.

I was pretty happy with the PS4 and intend on getting a PS5 no matter what. So I guess if I had to pick three things even though I’m already sold...

1. full bc with everything I’ve bought on ps4
2. Cross play mandatory for every single game.
3. I want a DualShock that has a longer battery life. I really love(d) DS4 but the battery life on it is bad imo. If they could put out a controller with the battery life of, say, the Switch Pro Conteroller, I’d be beyond stoked.

June

1. PS1, PS2, & PS4 backwards compatibility (PS3 would be a bonus if possible, of course)
2. New controller with different design and shape
3. Cross-play with Xbone

Full backwards compatiblity. It's only going to partial though.

Full 4K / 60 FPS. This won't happen.

PSVR2, no cables. This will happen.

drganon

1. Backwards compatibility with ps4 physical and digital games. Compatibility with ps3,ps2, and ps1 games would be cool too.

2. Better controller battery life. The battery life of the dual shock 4 sucks.

3. Ditch the swipe pad and share button but bring back the select button.

Premium, Premium, Premium

I dont give 2 shits about anything else.
I want my console to look, perform and feel like a premium device.

If I get anything remotely resembling the build quality of PS4 or PS4 Pro then Sony can suck a fat one and I'm heading over to Xbox.

magnumpy

upgraded controllers. it's already been already alluded to, but this could be areal game changer! pun intended!

also, psvr2 should be cool :lollipop_grinning_eyes:

TimFL

I just want them to have feature parity with the current PS4 OS on day 1. If they pull another generation where we have to wait a year for contextual notifications or offline trophy support, I‘ll riot.

I don‘t care if they do another OS / UI, just make sure you tick off every single feature the PS4 had. It‘s borderline ridiculous how every gen turns out a clean slate when it comes to feature parity.

Boss Mog

I only want 1 thing: For it to actually come out because the way things are going with the coronavirus, it's far from a certainty.

Mobilemofo

1. A quieter console. 2. Sturdy grips on the sticks of the new pad, much more solid than the ps4's. 3. Diff color options. Black/white is so fuckin boring.

B D Joe

1.. Whisper quiet console is essential (Im not buying another hair dryer!)
2.. Faster Loading times
3.. More graphics options, visuals vs performace etc

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
1) Full backwards compatibility with wast majority of PS4 games on physical Blu-Ray discs - fuck PS Now and digital emulation on PSN
2) More first party and really good exclusive games - Knack needs to die
3) An option to play PS5 and PS4 games in native 1080p with locked 30 / 60 FPS - don't care about 4K on consoles.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
1, BB2
2, whatever
3, whatever

Buying 2 on day one as usual. One to use and one to keep until CFW arrives.

Well everything I’ll probably ask for is a firm no at this point

Full bc with all ps systems
:unlikely
Full bc with all psn purchases
:unlikely
No censorship of 3rd party jp titles
More jp exclusive
Cut down on the over shoulder movie games.
Bring back arcade racers like ridge racer and motorstorm
Re value/re structure ps plus
Fix the psn store
Fix the current os
Ditch the touchpad and controller speaker
No more jet engine
A higher quality blu ray drive that doesn’t burn out in 2-3 year
Better battery life for controller.

Ar¢tos

- BC (with ps3, since ps4 is confirmed)
- PSVR2
- Per game customizable controls at OS level, since devs are too fucking lazy to add this nowadays.

Top Bottom