• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are flaws in otherwise amazing games?

SinDelta

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I understand why they had breakable weapons, but a repair/upgrade system would have been nice. Themed temples and shrines for their regions. Better boss variety and final boss fight. Otherwise still an incredible game. I hope BotW 2 addresses this.

Witcher 3 - Ignores some pretty important events and choices from Witcher 1 and especially 2 in favor of plotlines from books. YMMV depending on if you were introduced by the games or the books and regardless some of the decisions left on the floor really sting.

Mass Effect 2 - Should have focused on building an alliance to take down the Reapers, not a sidestory with Cerberus and the Collectors (as cool as it was), with the Council and higher ups more or less ignoring Shepherds warnings and what happened in 1 instead of getting ready.

Jade Empire - Was rushed and not allowed to live up to its full potential. Still great.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Ditto. Those scrapped areas and dungeons would have made the game even better.

Okami - The long, long opening.

Last edited:

Phase

Halo - The Flood
Shocked Excuse Me GIF

intbal

Jet Set Radio Future
Flaw: It's stuck on the Original Xbox (or the slow-running 360 emulator)

ELEX
Flaw: 98% of people quit the game because the first ten hours are very difficult

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Flaw: The name. A great 3rd person fantasy action RPG in the Divinity universe that nobody looks twice at because they see "Divinity" and "2" and think it's something other than what it is.

Deus Ex: Invisible War
Flaw: The changes to the HUD and inventory were a mistake. Otherwise, a great sequel and a true DX game (unlike the Squenix games).

GreyHorace

The Witcher 3 - Combat is subpar and needed more work.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - The drive towards realism really bogs down the fun. Activities such as hunting, fishing and herb gathering become a chore after awhile. The Wanted system makes no sense and the horse controls are needlessly tank like.

Yakuza 0 - The rhythm minigames like disco and karaoke are trash. I hated them.

Mass Effect 2 - More of a collection of side stories rather than a continuation of the first game.

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - It's a fun game but gets boring after a while.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Melee combat is dull and boring.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dark Souls
Unfinished late game area. The game stumbles right before the finish. There’s also a partly broken mechanic that not many know much about (I only found out the whole thing a few days ago).

ELEX
Flaw: 98% of people quit the game because the first ten hours are very difficult
For me this is more a symptom than a cause, but I agree. I really wanted to like Elex, but I quit within this time. Every “Tip” I read or watched was about gaming the system and abusing mechanical flaws, and I realised I wasn’t enjoying anything about that. It had the potential to be great and for me to sink 100 hours in but it wasn’t quite there for me.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

In OOT there’s a room in the Water Temple where it glitched with Link not too much further until fighting the boss and I had to restart a ways back

In MM I fell below onto two rotating spiked logs and Link started spazzing out, had to restart my N64 and do the ENTIRE Stone Temple Tower over again from the very beginning. This too was very close to the boss fight

D3SCHA1N

RDR2 - Story peaks in chapter 2 with peaks and valleys from there on never quite reaching the same heights. Rockstar's mission design remains unnecessarily prohibitive.

Spaceman292

Banned
Mass Effect 2 - Should have focused on building an alliance to take down the Reapers, not a sidestory with Cerberus and the Collectors (as cool as it was), with the Council and higher ups more or less ignoring Shepherds warnings and what happened in 1 instead of getting ready.
That's what ME3 is about

TheDud

Neo Member
Re4 - the island, only thing that saved that section was the introduction of the best enemy - regenerator/iron maiden

Kuranghi

Combat against humans in horizon, it is trash.

Also not enough memorable side-characters.

Yeah totally, stack damage on sniper bow, shoot in head from really far away, rinse and repeat. Or kill a heavy guy and then use his gun to kill everyone else, shooting a billion darts into everyones head and chest lol, good job it doesn't have realistic damage because the corpses would probably look horrific afterwards, just floating down the river like:

Happy Water GIF

Kuranghi

Holly shit, that opening.

Nevermind the opening what about when it should end and then it continues for another 20 hours lol, the weird motion graphic cutscenes at the midpoint made it seem like they completely ran out money at that point.

It reminded me of Evangelion episode 24's next-time on preview for 25 (Air), except they REALLY ran out of money:

Spoilers: don't watch this if you plan to ever watch the series.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah totally, stack damage on sniper bow, shoot in head from really far away, rinse and repeat. Or kill a heavy guy and then use his gun to kill everyone else, shooting a billion darts into everyones head and chest lol, good job it doesn't have realistic damage because the corpses would probably look horrific afterwards, just floating down the river like:

Happy Water GIF
Also ps1 level hit reactions, dead animations and ragdoll.

I can't even fathom how you can pass from killzone saga hit reactions to...that.

Last edited:

tassletine

I love them, but most From games feel unfinished or more appropriately, abandoned.

DS 1 especially. It kind of adds to the atmosphere but reeks of laziness and if the game started in any of those late areas you'd be appalled.
Bloodborne is the only real exception, but even that has it's moments.

stranno

Red Steel. Amazing oriental style, great graphics, good Wiimotion implementation (the very first FPS on Wii along with Far Cry) and cool campaign.

But those, more than probably Nintendo imposed gimmick, katana combats, good lord, they destroy the game's pace and they completely suck.

Aldynes

One I always found baffling to this day is the CPU in street fighter 2 doesn't play by the rules, and I'm not talking about reading your imputs to instant counter your every moves with perfect frame timing , I mean look at this :

Oh and don't even try to play against the CPU in SF2 Super Turbo / 2X even on the easiest difficulty it's just pure insanity.

Alright

Banned

Jade Empire - Was rushed and not allowed to live up to its full potential. Still great.
ME2 - Exactly my thoughts, OP. ME2 felt like a pointless side mission. I would chuck in the stupid design feature where you can't target enemies with 'spells' if they are resistant, rather than the 'spell' doing reduced damage. It pretty much forced you to play run and gun vs space mage.

JE - should have been put on ice until the 360 dropped. IIRC it dropped in the last few months of OG Xbox

colon

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - as a big fan of this series I actually have a list of complaints about this entry (I've still put almost 1500 hours into it, so it's not all bad), but the one thing about it that probably bugs me the most is the crafting nonsense. I usually just buy or trade for whatever items/craft materials I need from other players online just so I won't have to bother with it myself.

Bloodborne with the blood vial grind, no level ups at bonfire and frenzy nonsense.
Forza horizon 4 with no rewinds at the start or near the end of a race.
Civ VI with the brain-dead AI.
Endless legend with God awful combat.

Catphish

The original Triple Play Baseball for Sega Genesis was a fucking gem. Absolutely the best baseball game of its time. It had atmosphere, authenticity, and phenomenal gameplay. It even had hidden players whose attributes would auto-populate when you attempted to create them manually. Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, the entire 1919 White Sox, and plenty more, all hidden in there, waiting to be discovered. Fucking baseball bliss.

It also had a bug where, if there were 2 outs with a guy on 3rd, and the batter hit a pop fly, and the runner at 3rd crossed home plate before the ball was caught for the 3rd out, the run counted.

Like Erika Eleniak showing up at my door naked with cigars and a bottle of Scotch. And vaginal herpes.

25 years later, I'm still mad as hell. :messenger_pouting:

Last edited:
Bloodborne with the blood vial grind, no level ups at bonfire and frenzy nonsense.
Only the original Dark Souls had the bonfire level up. Every other release has a person in a hub area that gives power boosts in exchange for souls. Frenzy works like curse, but it doesn't cut your HP in half. The vial grind is temporary as after a certain point it becomes more efficient to buy it in bulk as its price doesn't rise much despite enemies giving tons of blood echoes.
I love them, but most From games feel unfinished or more appropriately, abandoned.

DS 1 especially. It kind of adds to the atmosphere but reeks of laziness and if the game started in any of those late areas you'd be appalled.
I felt this way until I played Scholar of the First Sin. If anything, a compilation of all the DLCs would feel like a short game itself.
Re4 - the island, only thing that saved that section was the introduction of the best enemy - regenerator/iron maiden
For me nothing saves it as I just lose all motivation after the castle and instead start a new game. I am more fond of the chainsaw people myself, though the canines with tentacles coming out of them come close.
Dark Souls
Unfinished late game area. The game stumbles right before the finish. There’s also a partly broken mechanic that not many know much about (I only found out the whole thing a few days ago).
What is this mysterious mechanic?

Last edited:

chasimus

Hours 5-10 in Days Gone

There's something very difficult to get thru in those hours that makes people stop playing, me included. Can't put my finger on it, but if you can get past that point it's one of the best games you'll ever play!

Dark Souls 3?

TrebleShot

Returnal - No casual mode or difficulty scaling.

Great atmosphere , sound, visuals , haptics.
Ruined for people like me that don’t have the time patience or want to get good and grind it out.

At least add something like Hades where if you die your health is boosted 25% or weapon power or enemy attacks are weaker by 20% just something so I can finish this game lol

I had to go searching because I had forgotten entirely, but I think it was Miracle Resonance.
It is not hidden any more than most of Dark Souls' mechanics. It is at least mentioned on the description of the ring you get get for joining the guild of Gwynevere. Regardless, the resonance is way too context sensitive and completely useless for an offline player.
Dark Souls 3?
The Cemetary of Ash, Untended Graves, Kiln of the First Flame, Anor Londo, Profaned Capital, and Consumed King's Garden are half baked. Also, the mandatory journey to the Cathedral of the Deep for the doll is pure padding.

RE2 Remake

Scenario B

I love this game and hate how the half assed B scenario taints the flavour of the whole thing. Kinda wish they would have just left it out.

For me the game's real cardinal sin is that, in comparison to the original, Leon and Claire barely cross paths, or interact with each other, as they don't have the radios from the original. If someone was completely new to the story, I could forgive them for wondering why the two characters were both even in the same game.

They meet in the beginning cutscene, then at the fence 15 minutes in, then both just 'happen' to be at the lab at the end. There's none of the original's sense that they're working together to find a way out, even if they're off doing different shit.

OrionNebula

The shooting asteroid gallery in Dead Space 1 made me want to
steve austin wrestling GIF by WWE

Everyone. Everywhere

It was like the devs said ‘’are you having fun? Well fuck you! Eat this stupid excuse of a level to halt any fun you might have had! And fuck you again!’’

I really hope someone will shove that part in the deepest pits of hell where it belongs for the remake
I Hope Please GIF

Soodanim

Gold Member
It is not hidden any more than most of Dark Souls' mechanics. It is at least mentioned on the description of the ring you get get for joining the guild of Gwynevere. Regardless, the resonance is way too context sensitive and completely useless for an offline player..
I didn’t say it was hidden, but given that I barely knew anything about it after 1000+ hours of experience and the people in the video had to dig deep to figure out how it works, I would say that’s notably more obscure than the other mechanics in the game given that no one ever saw the highest level of it without strong manipulation. I said it was partly broken. Which it is, because of poor implementation. Of course an online feature is useless to an offline player. So are messages and the summon/invasion stones.

melekind

Neophyte
Second Life
The most amazing game I can think of is probably Second Life, but its biggest flaw is that it's not fun

Top Bottom