• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some dead video game franchises you want resurrected?

levyjl1988

Banned
For me, my number 1 is...

8MqtJ7V.jpg

I wish there was a Nintendo Switch version.
Create your own character and get lost on an island, explore and find strange mysteries associated with the island.

Even though in today's world and the growing population all the islands have been human occupied.
But the idea is reminiscent of Cast Away, Giligan's Island, Are you Lost? and other lost on an island forms of media.

Ot6mZQf.jpg

9HjaL4n.jpg

dd8.gif

Lost in Blue could be like the next Fire Emblem resurgence if done correctly.
Lost on an island with a cute waifuu girl with dating sim mechanics while you hunt animals, make pets and survive.
Collecting seashells like in Animal Crossing and crafting furniture to make yourself by comfortable and adapt to the dangers of an island.
So much potential.

Saber

Gold Member
Star Fox, Conker, Banjo, Space Station Sillicon Valley, Castlevania, Shaman King Master of Spirits, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Isa

I have a massive bucket list of titles I'd love to see realized, but right now I want absolutely none of them to be made 'cause the industry is so far gone I don't want to see these games and their systems ruined and diluted to the point where the game is no longer recognizable to the name it bears. And I'm a F$%&(ing optimist! Seriously my only hope would be a colossal flush and reset of the industry. Their are some winners sure, but I've been on a massive oldschool kick lately and its absurd how good and original stuff was back then. I'm sick of current trends and the industry shows little to no signs of stopping their greedy and shallow ways. F remasters, remakes and reboots. This gen so far is the absolute worst! Call me crazy, and old man yelling at the sky(I'm 37), hell I own systems from every gen including the now current gen and apart from my Switch and PC nothing has tripped my trigger. Sure I hope new games turn out well and good. I know there are passionate devs from all over the world but damn if I'm not impressed and frankly I don't expect it to change.

I recall one of our forum members making that thread a while back not enjoying gaming and being bummed out over it. I even tried to be a supportive voice of reason. I don't suffer from depression. I just have my limits like everyone else and I'm sick of being ripped the f off for what!? I've been instead investing, largely in crypto and having a blast in that community, planning for the future with my girl, playing homebrew tabletop rpgs, and plenty of hidden and classic gems from yore. After the recent remakes I have no faith in any studio whatsoever to do an original title justice, the game will be missing content, censor designs, fuck up the story, dumb down the gameplay, or change some dialogue or whatever to not "offend" the permanently offended. Sorry to go on a tirade. I know there are a couple of decent remakes out there, but I miss the originality. I hope your dreams come true and the games are great.

On a side note, I was watching a youtube vid by one of the creators of the Mercenaries series at Pandemic, who now plays tabletop rpgs going on about his love for rpgs in their sandbox design since the open-ended game design allowed for player ingenuity, something he loved from making videogames.

Stuart360

Ridge Racer and Road Rash (man Road Rash makes so much sense in this online world, would be great. Fucking EA).

8bitpill

I have a massive bucket list of titles I'd love to see realized, but right now I want absolutely none of them to be made 'cause the industry is so far gone I don't want to see these games and their systems ruined and diluted to the point where the game is no longer recognizable to the name it bears. And I'm a F$%&(ing optimist! Seriously my only hope would be a colossal flush and reset of the industry. Their are some winners sure, but I've been on a massive oldschool kick lately and its absurd how good and original stuff was back then. I'm sick of current trends and the industry shows little to no signs of stopping their greedy and shallow ways. F remasters, remakes and reboots. This gen so far is the absolute worst! Call me crazy, and old man yelling at the sky(I'm 37), hell I own systems from every gen including the now current gen and apart from my Switch and PC nothing has tripped my trigger. Sure I hope new games turn out well and good. I know there are passionate devs from all over the world but damn if I'm not impressed and frankly I don't expect it to change.

I recall one of our forum members making that thread a while back not enjoying gaming and being bummed out over it. I even tried to be a supportive voice of reason. I don't suffer from depression. I just have my limits like everyone else and I'm sick of being ripped the f off for what!? I've been instead investing, largely in crypto and having a blast in that community, planning for the future with my girl, playing homebrew tabletop rpgs, and plenty of hidden and classic gems from yore. After the recent remakes I have no faith in any studio whatsoever to do an original title justice, the game will be missing content, censor designs, fuck up the story, dumb down the gameplay, or change some dialogue or whatever to not "offend" the permanently offended. Sorry to go on a tirade. I know there are a couple of decent remakes out there, but I miss the originality. I hope your dreams come true and the games are great.

On a side note, I was watching a youtube vid by one of the creators of the Mercenaries series at Pandemic, who now plays tabletop rpgs going on about his love for rpgs in their sandbox design since the open-ended game design allowed for player ingenuity, something he loved from making videogames.
Same age here and similar feelings. The industry has become bloated, not similar to the way it was before the crash in the early 80's but in a new age way. I don't see a crash (or even want something along those lines) since the video game industry is bigger than the film industry at this point.

Publishers are mostly to blame due to the fact they're trying to pull in the most numbers of games sold under their "flagship". They're pushing developers to add things to these games to make them more sellable to a wider audience and at the same time, pushing away their long time fan base.

At this point, each year that goes by, I find less big budget games I'm excited about and more indie titles. The indie developers are making the games of yesteryear we loved and grew up with, with out being told that they need to implement said current social trend so the game has key selling points.

The games that peaks my interest in the last decade are the Soulsborne titles, The WItchers Series, and pretty much anything with Dark Fantasy in the story with deep lore.

True story though, this is a sign of age, we're getting older, looking for nostalgia in these new games, remakes, and remasters. Almost every industry cater to a younger audience and that is what is happening with current blockbuster games. There are still gems out there, they just fly under the radar.

Shinobi
Road Rash
Splatterhouse
God Hand
Onimusha
Clock Tower
Burnout
Clayfighters
Last Blade
Kof Maximum Impact
Sonic Adventure
Prototype
Matrix game
Yuyu Hakusho
Shinobido
Tenchu
Golden Axe
Arcana Heart
Fatal Fury/Garou
Art of Fighting
World Heroes
Sengoku
Ninja Masters
Rage of the Dragons
Rushing beat
Advanced VG
Urban Reign
Wet
Anarchy Reigns
Silent Hill
Max Payne
N3
Dark Sector
Shadows of the Damned
Killer is dead
Killer 7
Viewtiful Joe
DMC
Ninja gaiden
Split Second

Etc,etc,etc...

Last edited:

Belmonte

God Hand

Contra Hard Corps

Ninja Gaiden (3D brawler and 2D platformer as well)

Road Rash

Castlevania (Classicvania or Metroidvania)

Marvel14

Banned
Dungeon Master

Populous 2

Jet Set Willy

Spindizzy

Last Ninja 2

IK Karate+

New Zealand Story

Chuckie Egg

Bruce Lee 8bit

Spy vs Spy