• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some lesser known TV shows that you think more people should watch.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m not talking about popular shows that people think are niche. I’m talking about shows you never see or read about in this day and age on the internet.

You can even pick ones that used to be top of the class, but the internet seems to have forgotten about them and your kids have never heard of them. Ie Tom Green, Jackass.

I’ll open with Kevin Spencer.
https://www.youtube.com/user/KevinSpencerTV

Pick any episode from that show and see if you like it.

Kenny vs Spenny. A great friend challenge show with the loser getting humiliated.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kennyhotz

Mr Hell.

These are (Or used to be great tv that time has forgot)

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
enlightened.jpg

Incredible gem on HBO that noone has heard about.

Also I feel like Peep Show gets proper recognition abroad but unfortunately very few americans know about it
peepshow.jpg

Duellist

Not really sure if it was well known but 12 monkeys was probably my favorite series besides game of thrones. I binge watched the shit out of it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
enlightened.jpg

Incredible gem on HBO that noone has heard about.

Also I feel like Peep Show gets proper recognition abroad but unfortunately very few americans know about it
peepshow.jpg
I love Peep Show. Definitely a great series
Not really sure if it was well known but 12 monkeys was probably my favorite series besides game of thrones. I binge watched the shit out of it.
I watched a couple episodes of it on Prime Video and it’s veryinteresting. I saw a couple of the Impractical Jokers guest star in the 2nd and 3rd season
Heathers — the TV series. It’s about Resetera.

https://www.paramountnetwork.com/shows/heathers
My G/F and I watched part 1 and I’m not sure we have the stomach to continue the next 7 parts. It felt like I was watching twitter: the tv show. It’s a travesty that they turned such a great movie in to that.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
I love Peep Show. Definitely a great series

I watched a couple episodes of it on Prime Video and it’s veryinteresting. I saw a couple of the Impractical Jokers guest star in the 2nd and 3rd season

My G/F and I watched part 1 and I’m not sure we have the stomach to continue the next 7 parts. It felt like I was watching twitter: the tv show. It’s a travesty that they turned such a great movie in to that.

Dude, you have no idea what you are missing. It is a 10/10 show that actually fixes the ending of the movie. It’s cruel, but it’s damn funny because there’s some scary truth in all of it, especially the ending. You think it’s an anti-SJW series, but if you watch it to the end, it’s so much bigger than that.

God Enel

2 shows I would recommend.

The first being taboo with Tom hardy. I think it’s seriously underrated.

The second one is dark - I think it was pretty good once it kicks in episode 3 or 4 and is amazing until the last which imho was kind of a let down and went the generic route. This one is probably more famous than taboo and more people know about it as there was a thread here on gaf about it.

The last ship. One of my all time favorites but never see it mentioned anywhere. Awesome story, great characters and development, and great action.
Castlevania animated show on Netflix. Perhaps the greatest work of animated TV I've ever seen! The art, acting, sound, and story pulled me in after 10 minutes of it being a "background" show.

Get Shorty. I am eagerly awaiting season 3 of this masterpiece. Living in the UK I have no idea if it's popular in the States, but I don't know anyone else who watches over hear, or has even heard of it.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Night Stand starring Timothy Stack.
A show from the 90s, which doesn't seem to be on DVD.
Maybe not any streaming services either.
Mage YouTube, I dunno.

Nice to see all the Peep Show fans. Maybe enough have watched. :p

Whenever I mention it to someone they've never heard of it either. It was an interesting and hilarious modern take on "The Odd Couple" (show from the 70's) formula.

Kagey K

Banned
Nice to see all the Peep Show fans. Maybe enough have watched. :p

Whenever I mention it to someone they've never heard of it either. It was an interesting and hilarious modern take on "The Odd Couple" (show from the 70's) formula.

I’m actually pretty surprised also. It always seemed like many people haven’t seen it. I’d also throw The IT Crowd in there, although it always seemed like it was more popular then Peep Show.

Another one I’d suggest that has a bit of a cult following is Party Down

Last edited:
I'm not Australian, but there's this great Australian comedy called Kath & Kim. Not too hard to get off Amazon or I think it's even on Netflix.

It's a sitcom based on a family, but it's kinda bizarre, has a funny use of language, and is a bit slapstick.

Totally recommended by, er, me! And if you're gonna watch it, watch the series before the films as it's much better, as usual.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Into the Badlands
Into_the_Badlands_%28TV_series%29_title.png

This was supposed to be AMC’s cornerstone after Walking Dead. Martial arts, good characters, script etc. I’ll make it clear, it’s very cheesy and some of the characters can be divas at times so I get why it’s since been dropped, and losing views. Last season was great and nonetheless I think next season will be even better.
Banshee
MV5BMTkzNTA1MDI5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY3NjAwOQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Show lives up the hype NEOGAF dished out. It’s got gun-slinging, drama and maybe a season or two drag on, overall I don’t get what’s not to like about Banshee.

bitbydeath

Banshee
MV5BMTkzNTA1MDI5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY3NjAwOQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Show lives up the hype NEOGAF dished out. It’s got gun-slinging, drama and maybe a season or two drag on, overall I don’t get what’s not to like about Banshee.

Yeah, I came to plug this too.
Otherwise now I’ll go with
Santa Clarita Diet
Despite the funny name it is a fantastic show if you’re into dark humour.

Kagey K

Banned
I think Letterkenny is the funniest show on TV right now and barely anyone knows about it.

Me thinks you mights have a points or two when referring to that there show.
Into the Badlands
Into_the_Badlands_%28TV_series%29_title.png

This was supposed to be AMC’s cornerstone after Walking Dead. Martial arts, good characters, script etc. I’ll make it clear, it’s very cheesy and some of the characters can be divas at times so I get why it’s since been dropped, and losing views. Last season was great and nonetheless I think next season will be even better.
Banshee
I watched season 1 but never came back for 2 or 3, and I love everything Kung Fu.
legionmhj60.jpg

LEGION

Provided you don't try to understand wherever the hell the story is going, it h
as some of the craziest directing and sound design I've ever seen.

I have the first2 seasons on my PVR but haven’t started it yet. I love the comics and love Aubrey Plaza, so it should be an instant hit. I have just to get myself to click play on it.

Melubas

Everyone should watch Dag. It's a norwegian dark comedy about a couple's therapist who dislikes people and thinks they should get divorced. It's touching, funny and smartly written. One of my all time favourite series.

"Dag is a Norwegian comedy series about a marriage counselor who think people should live in solitude. He hates spending time with other people, except from his friend Benedict who is struggling to be faithful in his own relationship. Dag's life changes when his well-meaning sister, Marianne, forces him to go on his nineteenth blind-date with her old childhood friend, Eva."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1711386/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

J-Roderton

Oh yeah for sure. I kept seeing those damn Hulu ads every break for Letterkenny and finally decided to catch an episode. I ended up binging the whole damn series. It's hilarious. Excellent soundtrack as well.

Also, Katy is hotter than hell.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ramy is a really weird show. You guys should watch it.

hz9Zqnh.jpg

I think more people should give the show Manimal a try. Simon MacCorkindale plays Dr. John Chase, a dude who is able to transform into any animal he desires and he uses this incredible power to help the police solve police mysteries. He is master of the secrets that divide man from animal, animal from man......he is MANIMAL!!

YNJTajc.jpg

The second show I suggest is a show in a loose sense I guess. It is a six part anthology that revolves around a .45 handgun. This gun is integral to the plots of each episode though each episode has no relation to the others. One of the episodes features James Gandolfini's first television role OOOoooOoooo!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Russian Doll was an odd show but it was decent.
0ba.jpg

-Minsc-

My obligatory Charlie Jade.

A Canada and South Africa co-production, certainly not mainstream. It began airing in the spring of 2005 and went for one twenty episode season.

The show follows Charlie Jade, a detective from a parallel universe who finds himself trapped in a universe which is much like our own.

Alphaverse: A dystopian view of what our future could be.
Betaverse: Our world, one half hour from now.
Gammaverse: An, on the surface, utopia. If humanities population did not explode to current levels and we took better care of the earth.

Charlie Jade ends with the stage set for a second season that never came. Thankfully the main plot points were wrapped up so there is a conclusion so ones time isn't wasted on a story that has zero closure You are just left knowing there were plenty of places the story could have went from there.

Around halfway through the season the show switched to a new team of writers. It seems the first team split when it became apparent they couldn't come to an agreement on where to take the story. The second team pulls things together and I'd say the show was better off in the end because of this.

Check it out. While the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica was in the spotlight of giving a darker and grittier take on Sci-Fi, the overlooked Charlie Jade was doing the same thing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Midsomer Murders is pretty dope. British mystery series that is very bingeable

Sifl & Ollie is amazing. Puppet Tim & Eric from the 90s. Great original music in here.

Xavier Renegade Angel is the craziest thing I have ever seen. A wandering self serious spirit guide trying to heal the universe but failing hilariously and creating chaos and absurdity on a Cosmo scale. Animated like a PS2 cutscene. If the chili pepper episode of the Simpsons was a series it would be this show.

Inhumanoids is an overlooked cartoon from the 80s featuring lovecraftian ancient demons who live in the Earth’s core and a silly macho 80s team of scientists who battle them w Techno military gear. This has strong ties to D&D as well and the underground dungeon world of Skellweb looks like Dark Souls as colorful 80s fantasy cartoon

Last edited:

Porcile

It's Garry Shandling's Show and The Larry Sanders Show.

Not exactly obscure for people in the know about classic comedy but nearly not as well known as other shows. In my opinion Larry Sanders is the best comedy of all time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not enough love for The Expanse

Castlevania maybe the best animated thing I’ve seen and best thing on Netflix period.

Underrated series on HBO Barry and also Animals.

Sell me on the expanse, give me a non-spoiler summary of why I should watch it please!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ripper Street.

A somewhat unique victorian period detective drama. First 3 seasons, while somewhat episodic to begin with, play out as a single long arc building to an extremely satisfying conclusion. Seasons 4-5 act as almost a follow-up "book", and is darker and bleaker. Handsomely mounted and well written and acted all round Ripper Street is an unsung gem of a show, due to it being overshadowed by the superficially similar Peaky Blinders for most of its run.

Channel Zero.

Here's a shocker, a SyFy show that doesn't suck. In fact for my money the best tv horror show of the last few years. Each of its 4 seasons are self-contained adaptations of a different creepypasta, and thanks to each season having a single director have their own distinct style and flavor. All 4 seasons are worth your time, with seasons 2 and 3 being the strongest in my opinion.

Slasher

The first season of this show was so god-awful its a miracle its run this long. However seasons 2 and especially 3 I'd recommend as a worthy watch for discerning horror fans.

daveonezero

Banned
Sell me on the expanse, give me a non-spoiler summary of why I should watch it please!

I liked the overall conflict. I like how it is sort of post government society. It is sci fi and has some "breakthrough" tech that has allowed solar system travel and colonization but it is pretty well grounded and seems believable. Idk I would just watch a few episodes in season 1. It gets you in pretty quickly in my opinion.

Top Bottom