• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the best games you played that you failed to beat?

entremet

Post reasons why and/or pics as list thread get locked. Doesn't have to be a thesis. One sentence is fine. Sweet screenshots also suffice.

Ghouls N Ghost/Super Ghouls N Ghosts

38389-Ghouls_'n_Ghosts_(USA,_Europe)-5.jpg

35676-Super_Ghouls'n_Ghosts_(USA)-7.jpg

Boy do I love these two games. I did complete the first loop of Super. Hopefully I can finish these eventually, but they require a lot of practice. The music, graphics, and challenging but not frustrating gameplay makes these super fun to play. I enjoyed the original one on the NES, but that port is rather poor in hindsight. These hold up much better.

Dark Souls

I'm still playing this one, but very slowly. I'm on year 2 of my current playthrough. It took me 4 years of on and off play to beat Demon's. One thing that makes this game so compelling is the huge interconnected world. It's huge! Yet it still retains strong level and environmental design and diversity. Not much repetition here.

Ninja Gaiden (NES)

grafico.png

This is essentially a platformer with a sword. The controls are superb and music fantastic. The later levels are brutal and the last one takes you back to the first section if you continue. I didn't have the patience to deal with that and the those nonsense flying enemies. That death jingle is burned into my brain.

What are yours?

Recently I put over a hundred hours into Dark Souls 2 and MGSV without beating them. I really enjoyed both games, but certain aspects started to annoy me and I bailed.

Robiin

I think I have started Metroid Prime seven times. The furthest I ever got was getting the thermal visor. I just couldn't get out of the god damn room afterwards when all the windows broke and metroids were flying everywhere. I think I was 12 at the time, with a really bad temper which just made me rage because it took a while to get there from the save room I remember.

I consider it a great game.

Edit: I have played 350 hours combined between Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS. I have never completed Classic Mode, Smash Run or that board game.

bigkrev

MGSV.
Got to the final battle with a bunch of tanks and stuff, and spent 4 hours failing to beat it. And because you can't quit back to the ACC in that mission, I just uninstalled the game and watched the ending/listened to the tapes on Youtube

MaKTaiL

Skyrim.

I did so many side quests that I lost track of the main one. At that point I was already bored with the game so I never beat it. It was an awesome game though.

Ryde3

all of them.

Only game I've beat this entire generation is Bloodborne (I've probably bought every AAA title.) Before that, I beat The Last of Us. Before that I beat Max Payne 3.

I'm more of a multiplayer guy *shrugs*

joms5

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

I really enjoyed playing it but the long distances that you have to travel, the lack of a decent checkpoint system and the relative ease with which you can die just took a toll on me. I still have it installed in case I have the patience to go back to it.

And the respawning enemies. ARG. That makes it even worse.

Malus

Got stuck on the 2nd small tiger/bull thing in Shadow of the Colossus, and couldn't beat it in the time I had before I returned the game to my aunt.

OVDRobo

Today's given me a perfect example of this.

I've been playing through Zelda: aLttP over the course of today and after completing all the light world, I've just decided I'm not interested in continuing further.

A big part of it is down to the fact I've already beaten A Link Between Worlds which feels like basically the same game but with a lot of modern Zelda conveniences such as reduced difficulty, clearly stated objectives, more accessible interface and the choice of dungeon order of completion. The added ability to meld into walls which gives the gameplay more depth, and some of the storytelling beats also helped me enjoy it more.

I can imagine this game being completely mindblowing back when it released, but as someone who started with Zelda on Ocarina of Time, I just don't have the nostalgia there to carry me through after playing an almost identical game. It was interesting to see some of it as a historical piece, though.

MrBadger

I'm not sure if this would count because I got the 'correct' ending, but Undertale.

I've been stuck on
the Sans fight
for a while now. Bad times have been had.

dickroach

Ninja Gaiden + Castlevania (final bosses. ew.)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (that last level. too hard.)
2048 (I got a 1024 once)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth/Afterbirth (literally have like 450 hours into the game; never even unlocked The Lost or The Keeper)

CHC

I won't say "failed to beat" but I've started Pillars of Eternity like 4 times and shit always gets in the way of my finishing it. In my most recent playthrough I just managed to reach Defiance Bay but that was months ago. Been too busy with school and other stuff, so I fear I may have lost the thread of the campaign and have to restart YET AGAIN.

Some day....

Same deal with Metal Gear Rising, which is even weirder because it's like 8 hours long. Just never been able to finish it, despite the fact that it's amazing.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Skyrim.

I did so many side quests that I lost track of the main one. At that point I was already bored with the game so I never beat it. It was an awesome game though.

Same here, doing it with Fallout 4 too but will try to finish it maybe...

Noogy

While it's actually a pretty janky game, I've always had a real soft spot for Strider on the NES, I could never defeat the last boss legitimately. It wasn't until emulators that I finally saw the ending.

Same deal with Blaster Master, one of my favorite games, and my first NES purchase. Just never had the skills with that last world/boss.

redcrayon

SMT Strange Journey on DS. I just can't beat the final boss. The mazes didn't cause me any trouble at all after decades of playing dungeon crawlers, but man that was tough.

Oblivion. I was really enjoying it, but the repetitive demon gates stopped me pursuing the main story. Still, I viewed my characters story as something else anyway, that's what I love about Elder Scrolls.

The original Mega Man on NES. Couldn't complete it in 1990, still can't do it without save States now.

Radiant Historia on DS. Great RPG with one of the better leads in a JRPG last gen, but I found the battles taking a bit too long and eventually lost interest when something newer and shinier came out.

Also, every GTA game. I do the first few story missions then get bored and descend into just messing about. Still enjoy them though.

Elitist1945

I never actually finished Uncharted 2 until the Collection came out. That final boss pissed me off too much and I quit and looked the ending up on YouTube.

Demons Souls. I got pretty far, but just got bored with it. Didn't like the gameplay very much.
The Wonderful 101. The gameplay never "clicked" for me, but I actually really liked the story, characters, and humor. Just not enough to get through the entire game.

Flarin

Too many...mostly RPGs.

Final Fantasy IX
Dragon Quest VIII
Chrono Cross
Persona 3
PS2 version where you can't control your party :p

Final Fantasy VII

I spent many hours playing this when I was younger, and got to the crater. However, the enemies were so overpowered that I couldn't progress any further.

I didn't want to have to grind and level up for hours so I stopped playing.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I've started this anew a lot. I never owned it, so I'd borrow it from my cousins or rent it. But I never had or invested enough time to beat it and hate that. It's one of my all time favourites, though.

Shadow of the Colossus

I got half way and then got sidetracked. Regret it.

Super Mario RPG

Same as A Link to the Past.

SMT: Strange Journey: That final boss was just ridiculous.

Persona 3: Was playing the emulated version that they released for the PS3 store and the final area was just too messed up with the flickering for me to play without getting a huge headache. Plus I messed up one of my waifu s-links so put the game down after that and never got around to finishing it. Finished and enjoyed Persona 4 all the way though.

Witcher 3: Got to Skellige and just got distracted by the game and haven't gotten around to beating the game. Might go back to this one though.

Yeah my issue is usually final bosses/long RPG's and managing to get all the way through.

Pinky

Banned
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! - I think it was Mr. Sandman I made it to, but was never able to beat. Also tried the password that takes you to Mike Tyson and, after numerous attempts, I still cannot beat him to this day.

Earthbound - Made it to the very end of the game and foolishly saved my game after transporting to the final area. Anyone who has completed the game knows that once you go to the final area and save there, you cannot go back to the normal world. You either beat it or remain trapped. My dumbass was not as prepared as I thought and I couldn't beat
Giygas. I know Pauline has to pray several times to win, but she kept getting wiped out over and over in battle.
My other members would either already be dead or wouldn't have the PSI abilities to revive and/or heal. That and my recovery items were pretty much used up. One of the most depressing and idiotic fails of my gaming life. I plan to revisit it one day, but it's very hard.

Final Fantasy IV & IX - Okay, this one is weird. In both games, I was able to play from the very beginning and always get to the final area, but I would always stop playing right at that point and put the game down for a long period of time. When I came back to it, I would always start from the beginning. Now, I have beaten the final bosses in both games using other peoples' saves, but I don't think that should count and I don't view it as legitimate.

Those are just a few off the top of my head...

Justinh

I think I have started Metroid Prime seven times.

Yeah man, I played the hell out of Metroid Prime when it first came out, but go busy and wasn't able to finish it at the time. I've tried starting again over the years but I never get taht far. I love the game (especially the Prime Trilogy version with motion controls) but for some reason I just can't... I never get nearly as far as the first time.

Similar thing with Half Life 2. I started playing it back in 04 and got pretty far, but didn't finish it. Can never get motivated into playing it that much anymore. In fact, I actually dislike playing it because I hate doing the same stuff in the beginning all over again. Thank God cloud saves are a thing now.

More recently. I really got into The Last Story for a while and got a bit more than halfway done I think. I loved the game, but got distracted. Just never went back to it. I ripped it with my Wii so I can play it using Dolphin, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I want to get a Wii U pro controller adapter first.

oakenhild

Xenoblade Chronicles X - about 30 hours in, just got distracted and started playing other games. This goes for most of the games I lose interest in.
Wolfenstein: The New Order - 5-10 hours
Witcher 3 - 3 hours
Dark Souls - 5 hours in

speedomodel

latest

I got too scared once the Alien REALLY started hunting me. Will go back to it shortly.

the-witcher-2-xbox-360-600x325.jpg

So hard to go back to 360 now. Will do this eventually now that it's BC.

MGSV.
Got to the final battle with a bunch of tanks and stuff, and spent 4 hours failing to beat it. And because you can't quit back to the ACC in that mission, I just uninstalled the game and watched the ending/listened to the tapes on Youtube

I struggled with that mission, but because I was trying to complete all the mission tasks in one play through and was getting decimated. Then I just repeated it focusing on specific tasks a couple of times and it was easy.

nkarafo

Witcher 3 - At some point, i got bored. Will return eventually, maybe when i get a better VGA to allow me to play it at 60fps/max.

Metroid (NES) - Was too hard and disorienting for me as a kid. Never picked it up again as i thought it has aged terribly. I did manage to destroy Metroid 2 though.

Goldeneye (007 mode) - No matter how much i tried to unlock the last secret level, i couldn't do it because i couldn't beat the Control level in 007 mode. I got an action replay back in the day just for this.

F-Zero GX (Story hard mode) - Even though i'm a F-Zero X veteran, i couldn't beat story story mode in GX on the hardest difficulty. I thought that a lot of luck is involved to do so (along with a perfect performance) so i quit it.

Dark Souls NG+ - I did fine with the normal game but i realized i couldn't kill the four kings boss in time (couldn't kill one fast enough before the others appear) so they overwhelmed me all the time. Maybe my build wasn't good enough, i don't know. I stopped playing at this point since i didn't have the same enthusiasm anyway (already played the game for too long).

bman94

Half life 2. I just lost interest.

Portal 2. My laptop started spazzing out on the last level and never picked it up since.

Ketsui. Probably in my top five games of all time, and definitely the hardest game I've played - I can barely make it into stage 4 on a good day. Maybe someday I'll reach the last level.

Persona 4.

I was nearing the end (60+ hours) and my apartment burned down. I had already restarted it after its my initial attempt, so all together I probably played the game for over 100 hours.

Haven't had the desire to replay it just to see the ending. The anime gave me a good idea of what to expect.

Saladinoo

MGSV.

Cannot blame you.

Micapo

Mike Tysons Punch Out... Just couldn't beat Iron Mike... haven't tried in years though.

Persona 4 Golden... The game is so good and I got pretty far but lost interest in playing on the Vita so it's collecting dust atm. Still doing my best avoiding spoilers as I want to beat it one day

jdstorm

Banned
Too many. I almost always restart RPGs after getting through a significant amount of time

Off the top of my head.
FFVI love that game but only got up to just before the twist. I went in spoiled
Skyward sword. - got pretty close to the end, but had already watched the end on YouTube and haven't gotten around to it.
RedSteel 2-
Battlefield 4. The game was fun, but man your teammates are the worst.
Metroid prime. Motion Controls suck
conduit 1 and 2 - see above
Oceanhorn. Got up to the final boss and just didn't care anymore.
Any Realistic racing game

destiny. - beat every level solo. Haven't finished any raids

woopWOOP

Ghosts 'n Goblins for NES for sure. Too hard for kid-me to even get near the end, but the level 1/2 music makes up for it. At some point years later me and my brother sat down and tried to beat that sucker, but we only got to level 4 or so.

Castlevania 1 and 3 for NES too. The knockback instadeath falls were brutal, but I still had a hell of a good time playing them. I only played the first growing up and couldn't get past the watery cave of level 4. Maybe I could beat it if I tried now. Castlevania 3 I played for the first time on Wii VC. Good stuff, but that one snake boss near the end constantly kicked my ass. Haven't tried beating it since.

I got to the last dungeon of Zelda 2, the only Zelda game I liked enough to get that far, but I never got through the dungeon. Too mazey and I had enough playing it so I dropped it and never returned.

First TMNT game for NES I usually played until world 3. Riding around with the car left me satisfied. Once again did I try to actually beat this one years later. I think I made it inside of the technodrome, but by that point I was totally beat and out of continues and the barrage of enemies destroyed me quickly.

GTA:SA I've never officially beat either, since that last mission is bullshit long and no fun with awkward PC controls. Spent remaining time conquering hoods and doing fun sidequests instead.

Plok for SNES, sucked too much to even beat the first boss on normal so I just replayed the game constantly on easy mode (which skips about 2/5th of the game's stages and nearly all the bosses). Years later I finally sat down to beat it on normal. I got to the final boss, but I couldn't get the weird spring suit under control and got game over fast. Googled the ending and decided that was good enough for me (because the ending kind of sucks).

F-Zero GX Story Mode. It's bullshit.

-MD-

Ocarina of Time.

First playthrough when it came out I made it to the Water Temple and my brother erased my file, many years later on 3DS I made it to the Shadow Temple and stopped playing it suddenly.

Top Bottom