• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of your must play classic games?

I do this thing from time to time where I scroll through the GOG classics list and see what types of games I may have missed growing up. I love looking at the style of classic games, games that may have defined an era, games that may have defined a genre or whatever.

In the past few years I've had a growing appreciation for older games like these. Although some of these games are over 20-30 years old, they were still capable of leaving me speechless upon completion.

Thief 2 was that game for me. The atmosphere, sound design, level design, art style, and gameplay left a mark on me that no other stealth game has ever done before. This is a game I urge all stealth fans to try out, the graphics may seem dated and the gameplay mechanics clunky, but the game is a master piece and it will scratch an itch no modern day stealth game will ever come close to touching.

The sprawling level design is unmatched, you are tossed into a large map with very little information, each mission will take about 1-2 hours to complete, but it never feels tiring. This game is not only dependent on what you see but what you hear, sound is a huge part of the game, and it isn't a gimmick number style pointer that you must watch, but something you can hear and change. Funny AND terrifying, from the hilarious guard conversations to the crippling anxiety inducing fear you experience while hiding in a dark corner after being chased by a guard.

How about you guys? What is that one game you believe every one should experience?

0023143.jpg
Song-of-the-Caverns-26-1024x768.jpg
thief2_metalage_r_image4.jpg

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Oh, Homeworld for sure. I played it a bit back in the day, it's hard and a bit outdated, but it has some of the best brilliantly designed atompshere and style in videogame history, it's pulled off with such simplicity in sound and presentation, it's still impressive. It also has a "slowness" sort of thing to it that's unique, I don't know how to explain it, it takes its time with things where video games rarely do. it's real-time strategy art. I feel like missing out on Homeworld is like missing out on Half-Life or Bioshock, as a videogame fanatic, it's a sin.

Oh, Homeworld for sure. I played it a bit back in the day, it's hard and a bit outdated, but it has some of the best brilliantly designed atompshere and style in videogame history, it's pulled off with such simplicity in sound and presentation, it's still impressive. It also has a "slowness" sort of thing to it that's unique, I don't know how to explain it, it takes its time with things where video games rarely do. it's real-time strategy art. I feel like missing out on Homeworld is like missing out on Half-Life or Bioshock, as a videogame fanatic, it's a sin.
Homeworld is actually on my wishlist but ever since they dropped the remastered I couldnt find the original, and I'm not interested in dropping $40 CA on the game just yet, maybe on sale one day! Something about that game draws me in

fart town usa

Gold Member
OG Resident Evil 1996 Release.

People familiar with me shouldn't be surprised that I chose that game.

I gotta advocate for it. No auto-aim & OG soundtrack is the definitive way to play that game. The PS3 store EU release for Director's Cut might contain the same version of the 96 release, but the NA store is the Dual Shock edition and best to be avoided if it's your first time playing the game. Subsequent versions of the original RE definitely made things easier, even Deadly Silence. I was playing that the other night and dogs/zombies go down with just a few bullets. The reason the original release holds up so well is because the game is tough but fair. It's a fantastic experience, especially if you enjoy the resource management aspect of classic RE.

Ignore anyone who tells you the game isn't playable in 2021, they don't know what the hell they're talking about. RE 96 is legit one of the best games of all time and it's a damn shame that Capcom hasn't made it future proof. Download an emulator, get a dual shock ready and play one of the best games of all time. It can be finished in a weekend, easily, and if you've played RE7 or RE2 remake, you'll be just fine with the puzzles. Tank controls might take a bit of time to master but trust me, you'll be damn happy you took the time to learn them and next time someone bitches about tank controls, you can roll your eyes and think back on the RE experience and smile cause you know the unmatched feeling of exploring the Spencer Mansion.

AJUMP23

Wing Commander 3 - I Think the use of FMV and the story are amazing. It is a classic during a time when people thought that FMV was the future. And this game is a showcase of what the future was supposed to hold. The cast is Excellent, Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, and Malcom McDowel. There are branching paths in the story based upon performance, you can also choose the love interest you want to end up with. I think you should check it out if you haven't.

Gameplay is great as well, nothing like shooting those Kilrathi ships.....the Missions that suck are the shoot the missiles that have cloaking devices and only appear for a few seconds.

There are tons of them, but I'll mention one that I only just played this year...Earthbound. Such a charming and unique rpg. If you enjoy turn-based rpgs and you haven't played it, you're missing out.

Edit: did I misunderstand, was it PC only?

Last edited:

Holammer

I seldom return to old PC games, but if I did it would be Master of Magic.
Also some of the Lucas Arts point'n click adventure games like Monkey Island.

momrev03.png

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Zelda: Link’s Awakening.

If there’s one experience I wish I could relive exactly as I lived it in the past, it’s playing this game.
It’s fun, it’s clever, it’s brilliant, and it’s so full of feels. You’d never think a Game Boy game could be all this, but God, this one is. I’ll easily rate it higher that ALTTP, again and again, even in future lives if it”s possible to get one more round on this carousel.

MiguelItUp

Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
DOOM
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D
Resident Evil (Original)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania: SotN

God I could think of so many more, haha.

AmuroChan

Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Actraiser
C&C: Red Alert
Warcraft 3
Doom 2
Wing Commander: Privateer

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
MGS
Vargant Story
Tomb Raider
Toy Story
Twisted Metals
Silent hill 1 and 2
Alone in the dark
Resident evil 1 , 2 and 3 ( the original)
Xina

For PC I'm not a big fan

Last edited:
None. There are absolutley no games I would say is a must play for any gamer since I respect the fact that we all have very different preferences.
Nice sentiment and all but here's the thread title again for reference
what are some of your must play classic games

My must play classics are -
  • Tetris
  • Mario 64
  • Mario party/kart in person 4 player
  • DOOM
  • Halo CE/Halo 2
  • Diablo II
  • Deus Ex
  • Street Fighter II Turbo (arcade or at least with fightsticks)
  • X-COM
  • C&C Red Alert
  • Age of Empires II
  • Pac-Man
  • Super Mario Bros & SMB3
  • Cuphead (yeah recent but so worth unique and worth playing, instant classic)
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All should be dirt cheap on GOG. Like $3 on sale.

- Ultima Underworld 1+2 (was free lately. not sure if still free)

- Turn based strategy games with no resource management.... Warlords 1-3

- Turn based strategy games with resource management.... Heroes of Might & Magic 3 COMPLETE Edition (has all DLC and random map feature)

- Turn based RPGS (very clunky by today's standards).... Wizardry 7 (character creation pain in the ass if you want premium classes), Might & Magic 3-5 (I think). These M&M are older but traditional grid based gameplay. Later games had better production values but are free roaming and phased combat. My brothers and I preferred the grid based ones, but the newer ones are splashier with CD-rom production values

Last edited:

27thmounti

Neo Member
Some of mine are:

Starcraft(the remastered is great)
Max Payne 1 & 2
Diablo 2
Deus Ex
Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2
Doom 2
Soldier of Fortune
Unreal Tournament
Counterstrike

93xfan

Banned

I gotta advocate for it. No auto-aim & OG soundtrack is the definitive way to play that game. The PS3 store EU release for Director's Cut might contain the same version of the 96 release, but the NA store is the Dual Shock edition and best to be avoided if it's your first time playing the game. Subsequent versions of the original RE definitely made things easier, even Deadly Silence. I was playing that the other night and dogs/zombies go down with just a few bullets. The reason the original release holds up so well is because the game is tough but fair. It's a fantastic experience, especially if you enjoy the resource management aspect of classic RE.

Ignore anyone who tells you the game isn't playable in 2021, they don't know what the hell they're talking about. RE 96 is legit one of the best games of all time and it's a damn shame that Capcom hasn't made it future proof. Download an emulator, get a dual shock ready and play one of the best games of all time. It can be finished in a weekend, easily, and if you've played RE7 or RE2 remake, you'll be just fine with the puzzles. Tank controls might take a bit of time to master but trust me, you'll be damn happy you took the time to learn them and next time someone bitches about tank controls, you can roll your eyes and think back on the RE experience and smile cause you know the unmatched feeling of exploring the Spencer Mansion.

Loved the original. Music is awesome and so memorable. Just finished my first REmake playthrough since the Gamecube, and while a great time, it left me nostalgic for the original

Last edited:

BigBooper

Highest tier is the original Deus Ex, but lots of people would mention that, so second is Red Alert 2. Unfortunately it's difficult to play without bugs on Win 10.

So as a substitute, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. This is the peak of Rollercoaster building gameplay. How could you look at these loopy doops and not want to play it? Since remasters are all the rage, let's get a remaster for this.
BmVKcoB.jpg

Last edited:

elliot5

Highest tier is the original Deus Ex, but lots of people would mention that, so second is Red Alert 2. Unfortunately it's difficult to play without bugs on Win 10.

So as a substitute, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. This is the peak of Rollercoaster building gameplay. How could you look at these loopy doops and not want to play it? Since remasters are all the rage, let's get a remaster for this.
BmVKcoB.jpg
Fuck you I scrolled down this thread very disappointed to not see RCT mentioned and was going to claim it as my own but then this is the last post.

RCT is love

coffinbirth

What a great thread.

Hrm, there are loads of them, but I'll do my best to try to cover all the bases...

Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man
Joust (Joust 2 is the worst sequel ever)
Rampart
Galaga
Mr. Do!
Robotron 2084
Tempest(all of them, even the one for Nuon)
Arkanoid-series
Tetris-pretty much every version ever, and I want to give a special shoutout to Tetrisphere, whom never gets enough love
Arch Rivals
Out Run-all of them, thank you CD Romance for you know what
Gradius I-V, Gaiden/Salamander/Parodius/Lifeforce alllll them shits
Cotton series
Einhander
R-Type series
T&C Surf Designs
RC Pro Am
California Games
Super Metroid
Illusion of Gaia
Mother series

Basically every game Treasure has ever allowed us to experience

REZ

COSMIC SMASH

SILENT HIL....You know what, there's just too damn many to list! Katamari Damacy, Geometry Wars, all the Mario Karts, Bloodborne, fuuuuuuck!

coffinbirth

You may be fully aware of this, but I HIGHLY recommend checking out the rom hack titled "Ultimate Directors Cut".
It inserts the original soundtrack back from “Resident Evil” in “Resident Evil: Director’s Cut”, meaning you get the DualShock features without the DualShock soundtrack.
The original, uncut, full-color FMVs(I'm sure you're aware of this debacle) have been inserted. They’re higher quality than the original black and white ones, too.
There is also a second disc that replicates "Battle Mode" from the Sega Saturn port!

If the OP is asking about old PC games and he liked Thief. Definitely look at the original Deus Ex

Huge maps, with lots of creative ways to sneak around them unseen. But also can be played guns blazing if that is what you want too.

Also personally Thief 3 (deadly shadows) is the most memorable one for me. It is pretty different from 1&2. Some people complained they dumbed it down for consoles. But somehow that was the one I remember the most strongly.

Deus Ex and Theif3 were both developed at at Ionstorm Austin.

Rickyiez

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Parasite Eve
Devil May Cry (pioneer of character action)
Silent Hill 3
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Starcraft : BroodWar
Warcraft 3
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy
Red Alert 2
Simcity 3000
Theme Hospital

I think the genre is diverse enough .

Last edited:
Top Bottom