• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of your must play classic games?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Damn, I've beaten Control III on hardest and I thought that was tough. (I was only able to beat it by abusing some of the game mechanics.) Axelay is even tougher than that?
I always thought Contra III was easy. The only part that was hard was the final boss where some of those weird attacks seemed like automatic deaths. Never did cheat codes and I never knew about the spamming twin C weapons into an OP tour de force until I saw YT videos. I just used the usual S spread gun as much as possible and C weapon in a normal way. And flamethrower on level 3 where theres all those winged things. The last level you could also cheese it racking up unlimited lives standing on a platform (making sure no jumping demons get you), use guided missile weapon, and I'd tie an elastic band around the SNES pad and get like 10 lives before pressing on. Aside from some cheesy deaths by the final boss, I'd get up to the final boss without dying.

Axelay on hard/hardest is much harder. Of course if you watch pros play it on YT it looks easy, but you'll die way more. And your ship gets multiple hits unless you smash into something hard where it can be an instant death. The final level and boss on harder skills is much harder than C3.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So many, but I'll talk about one I don't praise often enough.

Silent Hill 3

A logical sequel/conclusion and the only real "Part II," in a series that otherwise (to great effect) is an anthology. It takes the hanging plot threads left over from the nearly abstract piece that was the original PS1 Silent Hill and crafts a narrative that feels like a continuation, a refinement, and a callback all at once. Peppered with continuity and neat little Easter eggs for fans of the original.

It's also, by my reckoning, the most oppressive of the Team Silent games. Just a very visceral, cerebral barrage on the senses from basically start to finish. Visually, it's blood and rust and darkness. Gory, filthy, abandoned. Walking through some of these areas feels like you could get tetanus through the screen. Musically it's loud, grinding, buzzing industrial noise juxtaposed with haunting, ambient soundscapes and a Trip Hop vibe not entirely uncomfortable in a Massive Attack or Portishead record.

From so obtuse a starting point as the first game, this sequel deals with parental abandonment, child abuse, death of a family member, stranger danger, themes of sexual assault, amnesia, and even the very real fear of teenage pregnancy all through the lens of a protagonist who is vulnerable, but at the same time emboldened. Sarcastic, but likeable in her realism.

Unpopular opinion, but as brilliant as Silent Hill 2 is, I always prefer Silent Hill 3.

dave_d

I always thought Contra III was easy. The only part that was hard was the final boss where some of those weird attacks seemed like automatic deaths. Never did cheat codes and I never knew about the spamming twin C weapons into an OP tour de force until I saw YT videos. I just used the usual S spread gun as much as possible and C weapon in a normal way. And flamethrower on level 3 where theres all those winged things. The last level you could also cheese it racking up unlimited lives standing on a platform (making sure no jumping demons get you), use guided missile weapon, and I'd tie an elastic band around the SNES pad and get like 10 lives before pressing on. Aside from some cheesy deaths by the final boss, I'd get up to the final boss without dying.

Axelay on hard/hardest is much harder. Of course if you watch pros play it on YT it looks easy, but you'll die way more. And your ship gets multiple hits unless you smash into something hard where it can be an instant death. The final level and boss on harder skills is much harder than C3.
Oh that's what I did. I cheesed it by using the guided missiles to rack up lives. I actually put the fire button under one of the feet of my snes to hold it down and then came back after I had built up 30 lives.

Y0ssarian

Banned
kqRJpo6.png

I seldom return to old PC games, but if I did it would be Master of Magic.
Also some of the Lucas Arts point'n click adventure games like Monkey Island.

momrev03.png
Have you seen the remake on Steam? Honestly, it... it looks pretty bad. Or pretty bland, at least.

Or there is the "real" remake/remaster:

Vangellis

Here are some I suggest playing

Super Metroid
Phantasy Star
Daggerfall & Morrowind
Zelda link to the past
Tetris Attack
Devil's Crush
Megaman 2
Contra Alien Wars
Ghouls n Ghosts
Streets of Rage 2
R-Type
Quake 1-3
Street fighter 2 turbo
Forgotten Worlds
Herzog Zwei
Castlevannia 1,3, Rondo, Sotn
Diablo 2
Baldur's Gate 1,2
Zork
Below the Root
Final Fantasy 2 & 3
Space Harrier (SMS, nostalgic for me)
Fantasy Zone
Golden Axe (Arcade)
Out Run (Arcade)
Y's

Vagswarm

Baldur's Gate 1
This game definitely hasn't aged well IMO. I tried playing the enhanced edition (pretty much bought all of them, having missed out in the past) and couldn't get into it at all. It felt very clunky and unintuitive. The 2nd one seemed a lot better, but I didn't play it for very long.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Superman 64
Rise of the Robots
Custer's revenge
E.T
Sam fox Strip poker

Mic drop.....

I second Custer's Revenge. It was really ahead of it's time with representation and a cast of primarily POC characters. The end goal wasn't violence, either, and it preached a message of love instead of hate, a very poignant take for a white, male protagonist to have, especially in the gaming climate at the time of release. Some of the gameplay was hit or miss, but they really nailed it at the end. Very empowering experience.

Dr. Suchong

I second Custer's Revenge. It was really ahead of it's time with representation and a cast of primarily POC characters. The end goal wasn't violence, either, and it preached a message of love instead of hate, a very poignant take for a white, male protagonist to have, especially in the gaming climate at the time of release. Some of the gameplay was hit or miss, but they really nailed it at the end. Very empowering experience.
Absolutely. It deserved a much higher Squaw.. uh I mean "Score"
*Shows himself out*

Top Bottom