• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best Bomberman games?

Recall

mega%20bomberman%20sega%20mega%20drive%20cover.jpg

4 player madness.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
This thread made me realize the Bomberman franchise would be really well suited as a downloadable budget title. What's happening with it?

Bomberman 93 and 94 are my favorites, but I never had the chance to play Saturn Bomberman. They are both available on Virtual Console. The Super Bomberman series for SNES is very good. The second one is my favorite but it's also the one I played during my childhood; 3, 4 and 5 are also very good.

What's happening with it?
Nothing is happening. Or rather, Konami happened.

dock

Saturn Bomberman is the best game by far, however it's quite a nuisance to get. I have plans to play it 8 players soon, in teams of 2.

Most convenient and solid Bomberman for modern setups is Bomberman 94, on the Wii eshop and Japanese PSN store. Supports 5 players, so the Wii can mix GameCube pads and wiimotes. Bomberman 93 is okay too. BM94 is what I play multiplayer when I don't want the hassle of wired controllers.

I don't especially like the 3D graphics western developed Bomberman games on PS3/360. They felt off, and the art lacks charm.

Bomberman 64 is very weird, and mostly popular because the n64 was such a common 4-player party system for lots of people here. It isn't really Bomberman, IMO.

Farmboy

Surprised no-one has mentioned Bomberman Blast on Wii. Eight player local goodness (wireless, if you have 4 wavebirds) and plenty of customization options. It's the main reason I keep a Wii around.

RyType

Really loved this series growing up- most of the multiplayer modes are all roughly the same thing (though some do change up the formula a bit) but for me, I'd say Saturn bomberman did it best for multiplayer.

Single-player wise, I had a great time with Bomberman 64, Bomberman Hero, Bomberman Pocket, Bomberman quest, Super bomberman 1 & 2 and my favourite- Bomberman 94. They were never amazing experiences- it was more B+ sort of gaming but I still loved this franchise. It's sad to see it almost completely forgotten these days...

Tizoc

If you have a PS3, PSP or PSVita give Bomberman '94 a try. It's cute, charming and has the best v-sign done in a video game ever.
I don't think it is on EU PSN though =X

Vivir

Neo Member
For "serious" fun I prefer Super Bomberman 2 because there's no punch item or punching-pet. The kick and gloves requires, in my opinion, more skill and I like that.

For lighter fun, Saturn Bomberman is the undisputed champion !

lupinko

Saturn Bomberman is the GOAT not just because of 10 Player Mode or the entire kitchen sink of options but it's also HUDSON ALL STARS.

Bomberman Vs Bonk Vs Master Higgins Etc...

Nikokuno

The GBA one which is a crossover between a Zelda and a Pokemon game, the solo was super cool and I finish it even if I don't like the Zelda dungeon system but can't tell why this one was the exception. I think it's because at this moment getting a new game was so rare (young boy don't have money ya know). Oh and you can play multiplayer with one cart, spending a lot of time with my young brother.

dock

The support for Bomberman 64 is really odd to me.
I could never get past the fact that bombs are just a circle-radius, rather than Cross shapes influenced by blocks and walls.

fvng

The Dreamcast one by miles and miles. So many unique multiplayer modes not present in other bimbermsn releases and aesthetically awesome as well. It's an easy choice for me

Dodge Bomb mode from Generations was my jam back in the day, not sure I'd give it a best bomberman game nod but it had its moments.
The single player not so much though it did have me put some short of shellfish through pokemon battles for whatever reason.

The support for Bomberman 64 is really odd to me.
I could never get past the fact that bombs are just a circle-radius, rather than Cross shapes influenced by blocks and walls.

Bomberman 64 multiplayer was really all about lobbing bombs on your opponents head and trying to throw them off the stage in their stunned state, that or picking up the masks/skulls.

dock

Bomberman 64 multiplayer was really all about lobbing bombs on your opponents head and trying to throw them off the stage in their stunned state, that or picking up the masks/skulls.
That sounds like such a different game, but clearly it's fun in-of itself.

Bomberman Fight is interesting because it tried to marry Bomberman 64's 3D stages and circle bombs with real Bomberman grids and cross-shape bombs, but it turned out pretty chaotic.

Saturn Bomberman is best? That was the first one I ever played and was hooked day one. No wonder why.

I also like 5 in the SNES and Bonberman 64 was a blast but is more a 3D adventure.

I need to find my Saturn and boot that up sometime soon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How were these GBC games?

th

bombermanmaxblue_gbcbox.jpg

Saw them in Nintendo Power back in the day, and always wanted to play them, but never got to try them.

Marow

Bomberman '94 (PC Engine)
Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)
Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)
Super Bomberman 5 (SNES)

Of the ones I've played. Saturn Bomberman LOOKS really fun, however.

If you want a great and non-stage based Bomberman, get Bomberman Tournament (GBA). There's a few others too, but haven't really played them. Also Bomberman Hero (64), but I haven't played it since a kid.

Kebiinu

Banned

th

Saw them in Nintendo Power back in the day, and always wanted to play them, but never got to try them.

Ah, I forgot about those! I had the Blue edition, the Red edition has you playing as Max instead of Bomberman.

From what I can remember, it was a pretty solid single player experience. Nice and crisp graphics too! They had Pokemon elements in the form of Charabom, while some where exclusive to each version.

If you find yourself the opportunity, give it a try!

On a side note: I almost forgot about Bomberman Adventure! I believe that was the title...it has Zelda like dungeons and a large over world. I loved it.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

th

If you like the single-player in 2D Bomberman games, these games are basically the best form of it. 60 levels shared between both plus 20 exclusive levels per version for 100 total. Levels have different objectives, so there's more to them than "destroy everything."

Max 2 is similar, though I can't get into that one as much. (The super-dated graphics don't help.)

No (traditional) multiplayer in either of them, though.

Super Bomberman was always my favorite for whatever reason. I remember spending a good chunk of one of my childhood summers playing that game. The music always takes me back to that time.

dysonEA

Super Bomberman. We played that game a for a good two or so years straight on our lunch breaks at work.

Kyzon

Bomberman 64 is the shit!
Bomberman Max is good too. I love the Pokemonish design of collecting monsters as you go along.

Pbae

I really liked Pocket Bomberman. This is coming from a guy that doesn't really like bomberman games.

Pocket_Bomberman_cover.jpg

Xpliskin

Maybe you guys can help,

there was one with a stage in the battle mode with speed bumpers on the ground going around as a box iirc.

This was before the dinosaurs and stuff.

Which one is it ?

Top Bottom