• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the chances for PS5 remastered Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us2, God of War?

Sushen

Since last year, I was holding back on purchasing high profile titles for PS4 anticipating ps5 remasters later. So far, Spiderman and FF7 remake got the remastered releases.

Do you see the same treatment for Ghost of. Tsushima and The Last of Us2? I'm guessing God of War won't since a new one is coming, but who knows. I wish Sony was more clear about this policy.

I'm ready to enjoy my new PS5 to its fullest.

God of war is free on the ps plus collection so I'd say you should play that now considering they got it to 60fps. Ghost is also 60 fps so I'd play that too and wait for a last of us part 2 remaster/remake.

Jon Neu

Banned
They don’t need it 60fps

78e10aa57dfe8fd46ff43041094b64fb.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
2 of those 3 games have PS5 upgrades. They could make a remaster but it wouldnt sell well since I doubt it would offer much over the current versions.

Hunnybun

There's no point for God of War and Ghost, seeing as they already did 60fps patches. That's always about 80% of the benefit of these remasters, unless it's something much more comprehensive. That'll even be true of the new FF7, minor upgrades you'd barely notice, and 60fps which basically transforms the game.

I think they'll release an upgrade for TLOU2, probably around the time they release the multiplayer. Fingers crossed you can get the upgrade separately, at least.

I'm not sure about Horizon and Death Stranding. They make sense because they've both got PC versions, but then where are they? Shouldn't they be out by now?

I'd really like patches for the Uncharted games but I don't hold out much hope there.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Since last year, I was holding back on purchasing high profile titles for PS4 anticipating ps5 remasters later. So far, Spiderman and FF7 remake got the remastered releases.

Do you see the same treatment for Ghost of. Tsushima and The Last of Us2? I'm guessing God of War won't since a new one is coming, but who knows. I wish Sony was more clear about this policy.

What for? They already got their updates.

GOT and GOW are already patched, expect the same for TLOU 2 soon. But we will see what will happen for TLOU 2. But surely i don't expect GOT and GOW remastered versions

GhostOfTsu

Banned
GOT and GOW (Days Gone too) are good enough as is with the PS5 upgrades. What more do you want? It looks better than next-gen releases already.

EDMIX

Yes, I do. The games that the PC will receive remasters of will also include PS5 as well. That's my claim.

Likely.

Only going based on what we saw from them from previous generations, a remaster is likely. The Last Of Us 1, the Uncharted series, God Of War 3 etc all got remasters on PS4, I'd say its within reason to believe stuff like The Last Of Us 2, God Of War etc would get remasters on PS5. I'd be surprised if we didn't see those remasters and surprised if we didn't see ports to PC.

Thats the direction they are going and I don't see why they'd stop with Horizon or Days Gone, those are not even the best selling titles.

Pretty sure it’s a certainty
A very quick and easy way to pad out a release schedule and requires less effort than a fresh game.

Nintendo do it pretty well and Sony have been doing it the last 2 generations

JLB

Banned

I find it strange that in order to enjoy a next gen machine at its fullest, someone needs last gen remasters.

Arkam

Super low and super unnecessary. I mean unless you consider the patch we got for GoT or the DS PC port as “remasters”.... I don’t.

THEAP99

Banned
Who even knows at this point man. I am sick and tired of waiting for tlou2 upgrade. No reason it should take this long

VFXVeteran

Banned
I find it strange that in order to enjoy a next gen machine at its fullest, someone needs last gen remasters.
It's not like that. The remasters already have code and assets made. It's the fastest way to implement with upgrades and on store shelves faster than creating a game from scratch.

VFXVeteran

Banned
PC ports not the same as remasters.
PC ports are remasters. They just don't do a one-for-one codebase like they do in BC mode. These will be just like HZD and Death Stranding and Detroit. Upgraded textures, higher end graphical features and higher resolutions with faster FPS.

Agent X

2 of those 3 games have PS5 upgrades. They could make a remaster but it wouldnt sell well since I doubt it would offer much over the current versions.

Yeah, I agree, especially for the three games named in the thread title. There have already been several recent high-profile games that have been updated for free, on PS5 as well as on other platforms.

Sony already took a lot of flak over Spider-Man Remastered. Regardless of how you side in the debate over whether that was "enough" work to justify a separate purchase, most people would agree that their handling of it was still a bit of a PR blunder. They probably don't want to repeat that mistake again.

I can envision them doing remasters of PS3 games or early PS4 games that could use some serious sprucing up.

Pedro Motta

PC ports are remasters. They just don't do a one-for-one codebase like they do in BC mode. These will be just like HZD and Death Stranding and Detroit. Upgraded textures, higher end graphical features and higher resolutions with faster FPS.
Better resolutions, better texture filtering, better lots of things derived from the inherently more powerful PC hardware, still not remasters.
I believe none of the games you mentioned even have higher resolution textures packaged.

kyliethicc

The Last of Us Part II multiplayer and The Last of Us Remastered will both come out later this year.

My guess is this mutiplayer will be $40/$50 on PS4 and PS5.

Then the multiplayer + remaster will be $70 on PS5. (Just like Spider-Man, which also did not get a PS5 patch.)

VFXVeteran

Banned
Better resolutions, better texture filtering, better lots of things derived from the inherently more powerful PC hardware, still not remasters.
I believe none of the games you mentioned even have higher resolution textures packaged.
Maybe we don't see eye to eye on what remaster means. I think a remaster is better graphics features but not a complete rewrite like the RE sequels. Those I would consider Remakes.

Detroit, I believe had higher textures, but just because a game doesn't have higher textures doesn't mean it's not considered a remaster. Filling up the rest of the GPU workloads with advanced features that couldn't run on last gen is considered a remaster in my book. Also all the other things like higher FPS, better texture filtering, LOD transitions, etc..

Stuart360

HZD does, unless the devs are lying. The ''normal' graphics settings are the PS4 settings (the settings were even called 'legacy' settings or something when the port first launched), and the PC port has 2 or 3 higher settings for each graphic setting, including textures.
And HZD for example has had more done to it than most standard 'remasters'.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Technically speaking ports are just that. Same basic code/assets running on a new system/architecture.

Marketing tends to conflate "late" porting (as in significantly after original release) with remastering because its a better hook. Especially generationally within a certain platform umbrella. The reality however is that unless the remastering contains new assets and features, its just a port!

I mean, its hardly uncommon for titles simultaneously released on multiple platforms to differ in all the ways that your average "remaster" does! Its always been like this.

The key I guess is simply to determine the amount of *new* work done when porting the title, which typically is reflective of the time between releases, and more importantly changes in technology and user expectations over the same span.

Anything PS4 -> PS5 is almost certainly just going to be a straight port, no matter how its promoted for the above reason. They aren't going to make new assets because its simply not needed, all they have to do is not ignore the new capabilities that the platform offers. At best you might see more use of high-lod assets already present (like say in cinematics), but they aren't going to be redoing anything.

Shmunter

Precisely, a PS5 version of Mortal Shell or Control is not a remaster over the PS4 version. It's enhanced in some ways, but considering it a remaster is a strange way of looking at it, it's just a port...an alternate version.

Spider-Man on PS5 has new models over PS4 - but even then it's 99% the same and just a cynical gesture to make it palatable to re-sell.

Sushen

Until the real next gen games come along, existing best games are the current best option, right?

I'm looking for anything specific for the remasters. I just want to avoid the cases of buying a game only to see a better version of it comes out right after. That's all.

Reactions: JLB

Kamina

Golden Boy
They released Patches for Ghost of Taushima and God of War, so i highly doubt that they will also remaster them.
I think they will focus their resources on the sequels instead.
TLOU2 is still missing though, so who knows what they will do with that.

Personally I am also waiting for Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn to be upgraded in some way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom