• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the chances of Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 PS5 upgrade?

RCU005

I’m currently playing Ghost of Tsushima on my PS4 Pro. I decided to play it there because I wanted it to be the last game on my PS4 (If I get to play another PS4 game later, I’ll be using PS5)

Now that I’m playing it and loving every second of it, I’ll definitely want to play it again, even 100% twice. However, I’d much rather play it again on PS5 but with DualSense support and all bells and whistles as if it was a native PS5.
I know it was patched so that on PS5 is 4K/60 but the DualSense support is what I’m more interested in.

It also got me thinking that I want to play TLOU2 again, but it’s in the same situation (or even worse because I think it hasn’t even been patched).

Is it likely that Sony will do that? Will they prefer to release a Remaster instead in several months as a “Game of the Year” edition?

if it’s the latter, I’d really hope they allow us to purchase it as an upgrade DLC, because otherwise, it would be lame. There’s no way I would double dip no matter how much I love this two games (specially GoT since I just purchased it).

What do you think? Are there any rumors, hints, denials, or whatever to point towards an upgrade?

RCU005

GoT already got a free update for PS5. But those games are not cross gen and was never announced to come out on PS5, so unless they make a Remaster i dont see them doing more than they already did.

Yeah, I think the keyword is cross-gen. I think it would've been better to make games like TLOU2 and GoT cross-gen, instead of games like Horizon: Forbidden West.

I can see TLOUS gettin a remaster with Ray tracing and all because it's a linear game in its majority, but GoT should have a "lower" upgrade like Spider-Man remaster, but allow people to upgrade via DLC instead of having to buy the game again.

ZehDon

I feel like TLoU2 is getting a PS5 version for sure. They won't even give us a 60fps patch to make sure they get people spending $70 on the full carpet muncher edition with multiplayer included.
Minus the tasteless jab, I agree. I think Naughty Dog is going to re-package their multiplayer "standalone" as next-gen only and include a touched-up single player game as a way of boosting sales of the single-player title.

Hostile_18

Banned
Factions 2 is coming, new single player content is been created so yeah a PS5 Remastered version is inevitable ❤

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Waiting to replay TLOUII until a full fledged PS5 upgrade.

Hoping for 4K60

Cinematic character models during gameplay(especially on enemies)

Global illumination RT on Objects and Characters to ground them in baked environment

Increased LoD/Decresed Pop In

Increased loading times

And maybe some upgraded textures if there’s any horsepower headroom left.

Ryu Kaiba

No shit they will upgrade it and you will be paying.
Minus the tasteless jab, I agree. I think Naughty Dog is going to re-package their multiplayer "standalone" as next-gen only and include a touched-up single player game as a way of boosting sales of the single-player title.
the multiplayer won't be next gen only but It will be a stand alone purchase for PS4, and included with the PS5 Remastered edition.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ghosts got a performance unlock and SP also made the multiplayer part for free, they've also given it really good post release support with updates. I think that's it for free stuff from Sucker Punch. Am sure they would rather just push on with Got2 or another IP. It would be like asking for Infamous:SS to get RT patches for all those lovely puddles in Seattle.

TLOU 2 runs solidly and it might get a performance mode bundled with any DLC that drops but I wouldn't be expecting RT level enhancements for free. They might do a bundle of the game and DLC later to incentivise repurchase thoguh. Plus there are attachment rate issues. I can't see many people forking out cash to replay TLOU II when BC for the PS4 version is there and solid. A lot of people didn't have that option on the PS3->PS4 transition and there were obviously new players coming into the Sony ecosystem who missed out the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Waiting to replay TLOUII until a full fledged PS5 upgrade.

Hoping for 4K60

Cinematic character models during gameplay(especially on enemies)

Global illumination RT on Objects and Characters to ground them in baked environment

Increased LoD/Decresed Pop In

Increased loading times

And maybe some upgraded textures if there’s any horsepower headroom left.
Ray tracing is a waste in this game. They chooses wisely to bake everything since there is no moving sun. This way they achieved better result than any real time rt can now.

And cinematic models are not possible in gameplay. There is character gallery and it melts ps4 once you view any

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Since Ghost of Taushima already got a patch i am certain they wont do a PS5 version.
TLU2 might, but i also expect a patch.

BigTnaples

Ray tracing is a waste in this game. They chooses wisely to bake everything since there is no moving sun. This way they achieved better result than any real time rt can now.

And cinematic models are not possible in gameplay. There is character gallery and it melts ps4 once you view any

GI for objects and characters only. The baked lighting is used on environments. But everything else looks out of place. Like old scooby doo episodes where anything that was going to move, say a book on a bookshelf, was oddly out of place.

The PS4 doesn’t melt during cutscenes where they’re used. Wouldn’t write it off. They did the same thing for TLOU Remastered.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I consider the lack oh 60fps patch for tlou2 shameful and I hope they won't be trying to pull a spiderman on us with it.
Again with this Spirman bullshit. Spider-man was 2 year old game for which they redid many of the assets for the remaster. A lot of work went into it so yeah they weren't gonna let you buy the OG PS4 game used for 10 bucks and let you have the PS5 remaster for free. 20 bucks is a fair price for the remaster, granted you have to own Miles Morales to be able to get it but they will probably lift that restriction eventually.

Though I do agree with you that TLOU2's lack of 60fps patch is pathetic since GoT had a patch ready to go at PS5 launch and it released later than TLOU2, there's really no excuse for Naughty Dog here. They probably want to make a remaster but contrary to Insomniac their remaster will probably not feature a heavy rework of assets nor will it cost $20.

kiphalfton

Again with this Spirman bullshit. Spider-man was 2 year old game for which they redid many of the assets for the remaster. A lot of work went into it so yeah they weren't gonna let you buy the OG PS4 game used for 10 bucks and let you have the PS5 remaster for free. 20 bucks is a fair price for the remaster, granted you have to own Miles Morales to be able to get it but they will probably lift that restriction eventually.

Though I do agree with you that TLOU2's lack of 60fps patch is pathetic since GoT had a patch ready to go at PS5 launch and it released later than TLOU2, there's really no excuse for Naughty Dog here. They probably want to make a remaster but contrary to Insomniac their remaster will probably not feature a heavy rework of assets nor will it cost $20.

It is a scummy practice, since insomniac remastered a freaking 2 year old game in order to cash in on it. It would have been one thing if they had made the Spider-Man Remastered game available on the PS Store by itself, but you can only buy it contingent on owning Spider-Man Miles Morales. You say it "will probably" release by itself on the PS Store eventually, but that's beside a the point.

Last edited:

Orpheum

GoT is already amazing at 60fps on PS5 and the reaolution is higher as well i think. There's no remaster necessary. Tlou2 will probably get a remaster at some point... Question is if bloodborne will get some love too :(

Anki

Banned
I can see last of us 1 and 2 on one disk for ps5 with both version running at 60fps. That was they could sell us again instead of releasing fps patch for free.

geordiemp

I have bought Ghosts as it had the 60 FPS patch and ryuns great on ps5.

I have held off buying TLOU2 due to no information or discusion and wondering if it will get a patch or a Miles Morales type deal..

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm sure TLOU2 will get a remaster. gotta pump those sales numbers up to make it look like it's been a success

Bartski

Gold Member
I think we're 100% getting both.

GoT in 60 fps is amazing but the presentation has other issues that seem like something that could be fixed with just extra horsepower.

The game is full of incredible vistas that suffer from clearly visible draw distance LOD limitations. It's just pain if you imagine how breathtaking it could look if made for better hardware.
Lighting is also very uneven, while the game is a masterclass of ambient light, real-time shadows and light sources like torches are very limited.

The exceptional support this game got since release makes me think Sucker Punch is far from done here.

TLOU2 is on the other hand almost technical perfection but it's ND and the Ice Team - just getting 60fps is not good enough and that can take time. Curious if they can solve something like foliage clipping, body despawn, and other details.

Hoping to see it drop alongside Factions 2.

It is a scummy practice, since insomniac remastered a freaking 2 year old game in order to cash in on it. It would have been one thing if they had made the Spider-Man Remastered game available on the PS Store by itself, but you can only buy it contingent on owning Spider-Man Miles Morales. You say it "will probably" release by itself on the PS Store eventually, but that's beside a the point.
The problem is that nest gen games don't look that much better, all I really want is to play the game at 60fps while I wait for their next games to come out.

bitbydeath

TLOU2 is already 4K on PS5.
They may do a 60FPS patch in future at the release of MP but the SP doesn’t really need it.

BigTnaples

TLOU2 is already 4K on PS5.
They may do a 60FPS patch in future at the release of MP but the SP doesn’t really need it.

No it isn’t, and yes it does.

As good as it looks, there is definitely room for improvement. The things I listed above being the most noticeable.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
What's there really to remaster on TLOU2 though, the game already looked incredible on the Pro, framerate was spot on and what's ray tracing really going to add to a game that's perpetually greyand moggy sure a 4k/60 would be nice but not worth paying for, it should be a patch for those of us that own it

bitbydeath

No it isn’t, and yes it does.

As good as it looks, there is definitely room for improvement. The things I listed above being the most noticeable.
My copy is native 4K on my PS5. The main improvements would just be framerate which I don’t care that much about.

zvA5Mmy.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Last of Us 2 was a one and done for me. I played it. Didn't like it, although I didn't hate it as much as others.

GoT was a masterpiece and the unlocked framerate is a pretty outstanding upgrade.

My copy is native 4K on my PS5. The main improvements would just be framerate which I don’t care that much about.

zvA5Mmy.jpg
That doesn't mean that the game is rendered at native 4k, it probably runs at whatever resolution the PS4 pro runs at (1440p I assume) then upscale it to the output resolution of 4k, I think even the Xbox Series S would send native 4k to the TV, no matter how smudged the imafe is.

bitbydeath

That doesn't mean that the game is rendered at native 4k, it probably runs at whatever resolution the PS4 pro runs at (1440p I assume) then upscale it to the output resolution of 4k, I think even the Xbox Series S would send native 4k to the TV, no matter how smudged the imafe is.

Depends on the game. Rainbow Six Siege runs at 1080P, 120FPS on my TV.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The Last of Us 2 was a one and done for me. I played it. Didn't like it, although I didn't hate it as much as others.

GoT was a masterpiece and the unlocked framerate is a pretty outstanding upgrade.
Kind of how I felt. I didn't hate it. But I'm not itching for a replay or more, like I was for TLOU1.

Depends on the game. Rainbow Six Siege runs at 1080P, 120FPS on my TV.
Possible, but on a modenr TV there is no input resolution other than 480/720/1080/2180p or i (unless you have support for the old analog signal...then I don't know). So if a game is between 1080p and 4k you will never know it that way.

But I also was not aware that some games did change the output resolution at the console level... Strange, what does it do to the ps5 dashboard?

bitbydeath

Possible, but on a modenr TV there is no input resolution other than 480/720/1080/2180p or i (unless you have support for the old analog signal...then I don't know). So if a game is between 1080p and 4k you will never know it that way.

But I also was not aware that some games did change the output resolution at the console level... Strange, what does it do to the ps5 dashboard?

Will have to check it out later but I don’t notice a transition.

gojira96

Not directly related to the question/thread, but I think Sony will have other first party games remastered like Spider-Man... Maybe H:ZD, TLoU (1/2?), GoW?
Just speculation, but if they want to make some extra money - like everyone corporation does - that's an easier path

Top Bottom