• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the chances that the next spiderman game will come to xbox / PC?

MrS

Banned
V0l2ZSW.gif

Don't be silly.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Sony only owns the movie rights to the character, so they probably negotiate deals with marvel/disney when it comes to console games; which marvel/disney will keep accepting as long as those deals are favourable for them.

tylrdiablos

It's highly unlikely... but we did get Horizon Zero Dawn.
Hopefully Sony see the extra money HZD made from its PC release and port Spider-Man or Miles Morales over.
But again, I think it's highly unlikely.

rubhen925

Does Marvel own the rights to spider man the video game and if so can't they force the next sequel to be on all platforms? I've always wonder this, but I am not sure if Sony has some exclusive deal outside of the first one.
That's like asking what are the chances that the next Halo will be on PS5.... Sony has rights to the Spiderman property. They bought it a while back. Games wise you can bet they will be Sony exclusive. I can see it coming to PC as we get spiderman in marvel vs capcom games and ultimate alliance. On xbox..... yea no.

Last edited:

driqe

Sony doesn't own the game rights but I wouldn't expect the highest selling ps4 exclusive to be multiplatform.

I believe it was on ps now for a while tho

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Maybe it will, but not by Insomniac dev. They are 1st party of Sony.

Derktron

Banned
What can I say to this but say does OP not realize that Sony owns the Spider-Man through Disney/Marvel. My guess is that if Disney/Marvel wanted to take back Spider-Man for their own use they would take it but it’s not easy. I don’t understand why people can’t understand this, Spider-Man will never make it out on PlayStation but maybe on PC but that’s a long shot. Sony will never get rid of Spider-Man only because that makes them the money. So....yeah stop asking. It’s never going to happen anytime soon.

gamer82

I guess with the marvel and Spider-Man movie isssue i guess they are keeping each other sweet for now who knows what happens in the future but i doubt this series of games will come to xbox

Magog.

Banned
It sold so well I'm surprised Sony didn't bring back the PS3 Spiderman font for the PS5. Not sure really how they can improve on it after Miles Morales. I'm much more interested in other Insomniac games tbh.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
The two Insomniac games could absolutely end up on PC like Horizon did. I think Sony is very interested in exploring the PC market and we will likely see more Sony games there over the course of this gen.

As far as future releases on Xbox go, that’s up to Disney. They own the rights. Sony has struck a deal with them for the two Insomniac titles and the Avengers exclusivity. If Disney partners with another developer in the future the game could be multi platform. That said I fully anticipate that Disney/Marvel and Sony are working out details for another Insomniac title.

Codes 208

That's like asking what are the chances that the next Halo will be on PS5.... Sony has rights to the Spiderman property. They bought it a while back. Games wise you can bet they will be Sony exclusive. I can see it coming to PC as we get spiderman in marvel vs capcom games and ultimate alliance. On xbox..... yea no.
They have the rights to the movies, the game rights are still held by marvel.

with the success of spiderman on PS4/5 marvel likely doesn’t see a need to change that but Sony doesn’t hold the rights.

Codes 208

It sold so well I'm surprised Sony didn't bring back the PS3 Spiderman font for the PS5. Not sure really how they can improve on it after Miles Morales. I'm much more interested in other Insomniac games tbh.
Easy, make it longer.

Magog.

Banned
The two Insomniac games could absolutely end up on PC like Horizon did. I think Sony is very interested in exploring the PC market and we will likely see more Sony games there over the course of this gen.

As far as future releases on Xbox go, that’s up to Disney. They own the rights. Sony has struck a deal with them for the two Insomniac titles and the Avengers exclusivity. If Disney partners with another developer in the future the game could be multi platform. That said I fully anticipate that Disney/Marvel and Sony are working out details for another Insomniac title.

Horizon only ended up on PC as a way to intrigue PC gamers with the quality of Playstation titles and to convince them to buy a Playstation. Don't expect future games to launch on PC or you'll be disappointed.

ethomaz

Banned

with the success of spiderman on PS4/5 marvel likely doesn’t see a need to change that but Sony doesn’t hold the rights.
If Sony didn’t have the rights for the character in games the Xbox and PC should have Spider-Man in Avengers game.

ethomaz

Banned

The fact Sony choose Horizon over all others games to try to convert PC gamers to PlayStation tells you a lot about the subject.

NonPhixion

Sony didn’t allow the character to be in a cross-heroes game... only their version had the Spider-Man.

Ho to expect a game based on the character to be on other platforms?
Ultimate Alliance 3 that came out in 2019 only on the Switch. Spider-Man and Venom are even on the cover. I think Sony has the rights for Standalone titles. Quite evident that Spider-Man could appear in other marvel games on other platforms.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Ultimate Alliance 3 that came out in 2019 only on the Switch. Spider-Man and Venom are even on the cover. I think Sony has the rights for Standalone titles. Quite evident that Spider-Man could appear in other marvel games on other platforms.
Because the game was probably started before the Sony deal... Ultimate Alliance dev start way before Spider-Man release in 2018.

“We happen to be ones who can execute and deliver when it comes down to choices of where and what Spider-Man can be, that's a relationship question that you know PlayStation absolutely has the rights to, that as you guys know with Sony's [movie rights] ownership there and Marvel with Sony saying, 'Hey, this is something we can do, this is something we can do on this platform,' and as creators we have this opportunity that we can make something unique and fun and awesome,

Sony clear says where Spider-Man can be or not.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Horizon only ended up on PC as a way to intrigue PC gamers with the quality of Playstation titles and to convince them to buy a Playstation. Don't expect future games to launch on PC or you'll be disappointed.

The fact Sony choose Horizon over all others games to try to convert PC gamers to PlayStation tells you a lot about the subject.
I own all three consoles so it’s of relatively little consequence to me but look at PSNow and Game Pass. The future is platform agnostic. It doesn’t make the PS hardware any less valuable, it makes the PS brand stronger and gives them more customers across three devices-PS console, streaming, and PC. I anticipate it will be a slow burn but but they’ll get there.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I own all three consoles so it’s of relatively little consequence to me but look at PSNow and Game Pass. The future is platform agnostic. It doesn’t make the PS hardware any less valuable, it makes the PS brand stronger and gives them more customers across three devices-PS console, streaming, and PC. I anticipate it will be a slow burn but but they’ll get there.
That nice but doesn’t change anything of what I said... exclusives will continue coming to PlayStation and Spider-Man at least for the second game is still exclusive.

I don’t know if the deal will continue after the next-game.

Plus Horizon 2 is PlayStation exclusive for some years.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Because the game was probably started before the Sony deal... Ultimate Alliance dev start way before Spider-Man release in 2018.

So then the Sony deal would have been made when for their game that came out in 2018? The Nintendo deal would have been made when for their game that came out in 2019 on the switch that released in 2017?

ethomaz

Banned
So then the Sony deal would have been made when for their game that came out in 2018? The Nintendo deal would have been made when for their game that came out in 2019 on the switch that released in 2017?
The deal for more games were done probably after the huge success.

Ar first it was a franchise without a publisher and developer... Sony took it and said Marvel I will do a big game with the name but after that I will want to discuss the exclusivity of the IP.

Business 101.

If Sony had falied then the next games should not be in Sony hands anymore.

Last edited:

Fredrik

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says that all PlayStation exclusives will make it to the pc anyway. And he encourages everyone to pirate the games to punish Sony for their arrogance for locking up their exclusives on one platform and not allowing anyone else to play them.
So your friend thinks Sony will keep on investing in games for PC even if they don’t sell?

Tell him to buy two copies of HZD instead so the chances that we’ll see HZD2 increases.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned

Not really. Playstation exists to sell as many games as possible with Sony getting their 30% cut of third party stuff. First party games exist to be system sellers so that 30% is as big as possible. If Sony had to survive just on PS Now and revenue from their own published games they would lose a lot of money.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pretty low, although I would love to see it on PC where we could get 4K/max/raytracing/60fps the whole deal.

I think Sony is going to port more of their games to PC although if Spiderman 2 is the hit that the original was, I think they'll keep it on their platform indefinitely. Maybe if it is disappointing sales-wise.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
So your friend thinks Sony will keep on investing in games for PC even if they don’t sell?

Tell him to buy two copies of HZD instead so the chances that we’ll see HZD2 increases.

He's pirated both HZD and Death Stranding and bashed both games continuously. He'll never spend a single cent on PlayStation or anything Sony related.

Last edited:
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says that all PlayStation exclusives will make it to the pc anyway. And he encourages everyone to pirate the games to punish Sony for their arrogance for locking up their exclusives on one platform and not allowing anyone else to play them.

The irony

MrS

Banned
If Marvel tried to pull the multiplat shit, Sony will fuck them and end Spidey's participation in MCU. So, it ain't happening.

Last edited:

Fredrik

He's pirated both HZD and Death Stranding and bashed both games continuously. He'll never spend a single cent on PlayStation or anything Sony related.
Tell him that he’s part of the problem he hates so much.
Less PC copies sold = Less PC games released.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What can I say to this but say does OP not realize that Sony owns the Spider-Man through Disney/Marvel. My guess is that if Disney/Marvel wanted to take back Spider-Man for their own use they would take it but it’s not easy. I don’t understand why people can’t understand this, Spider-Man will never make it out on PlayStation but maybe on PC but that’s a long shot. Sony will never get rid of Spider-Man only because that makes them the money. So....yeah stop asking. It’s never going to happen anytime soon.
If Sony didn’t have the rights for the character in games the Xbox and PC should have Spider-Man in Avengers game.
They don't have any merchandising rights to Spider-Man, they sold the merch rights back to Marvel in 2011.
Any deal they would have for console exclusivity would be negotiated on a game by game basis, and only if the deal is favourable to Marvel/Disney; Marvel is NOT giving those rights away again.

Eimran

Maybe if Sony decides to do the horizon strategy in a few years. But otherwise no. Spiderman 2018 is an Insomniac game and Insomniac is a first party studio of Sony

Yes, that is what I also believed too. With the game being successful on Playstation, why would Marvel want to exclude PC/Xbox and possibly the Nintendo Switch 2?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If Marvel tried to pull the multiplat shit, Sony will fuck them and end Spidey's participation in MCU. So, it ain't happening.

Eh, Sony handed Spiderman back to the MCU because their own attempts at a Spiderman universe failed totally. So I don't think they have the sort of leverage that you may think.

MLB pushed Sony to get their game on more platforms. I think Sony would be open to the idea of putting Spiderman on other platforms if the incentives line up. It's always a question of money, nothing more.

Codes 208

Eh, Sony handed Spiderman back to the MCU because their own attempts at a Spiderman universe failed totally. So I don't think they have the sort of leverage that you may think.

MLB pushed Sony to get their game on more platforms. I think Sony would be open to the idea of putting Spiderman on other platforms if the incentives line up. It's always a question of money, nothing more.
The success of spiderman PS4 and into the spider verse would suggest otherwise. And they didn’t hand over anything, they still have the movie rights. The last two spiderman movies (excluding venom and ItSV which were both Sony) had been more of a 50/50 involvement for both Sony and marvel.

Top Bottom