• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the chances that the next spiderman game will come to xbox / PC?

MrS

Banned
Eh, Sony handed Spiderman back to the MCU because their own attempts at a Spiderman universe failed totally. So I don't think they have the sort of leverage that you may think.

MLB pushed Sony to get their game on more platforms. I think Sony would be open to the idea of putting Spiderman on other platforms if the incentives line up. It's always a question of money, nothing more.
An Insomniac Spiderman will never come to Xbox. I'd put large amounts of money on that.

kyussman

Xbox?....less than zero.
Marvel said the future of Spider-Man is with PlayStation....and they tend not to release their games on Xbox,lol.

Horizon only ended up on PC as a way to intrigue PC gamers with the quality of Playstation titles and to convince them to buy a Playstation. Don't expect future games to launch on PC or you'll be disappointed.
Here, look at this beat up, old-ass game, that plays a lot like a typical Ubisoft game. Aren't you impressed? Makes you want to buy our console, doesn't it? Ho ho ho

That would be a terrible reason if true.

Lister

Banned
Horizon only ended up on PC as a way to intrigue PC gamers with the quality of Playstation titles and to convince them to buy a Playstation. Don't expect future games to launch on PC or you'll be disappointed.

If that was their goal, it failed miserably.

Microsoft figured out a long time ago that PC gamers and console gamers are two different markets, just with some overlap.

They are leaving money on the table by not releasing games there. Again, something Microsoft figured out a long time ago and are capitalizing on now.

As for the likelihood, I'd say it's unlikely, but not zero. That's what some of you fanboys were saying about Horizon Zero Dawn, and here we are.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned

Microsoft figured out a long time ago that PC gamers and console gamers are two different markets, just with some overlap.

They are leaving money on the table by not releasing games there. Again, something Microsoft figured out a long time ago and are capitalizing on now.

As for the likelihood, I'd say it's unlikely, but not zero. That's what some of you fanboys were saying about Horizon Zero Dawn, and here we are.

That's just false. Lots of PC gamers also have a Playstation or Switch as well for those games. No point with a Xbox as all Xbox games are on PC.

Jagz

Spiderman on PC seems likely, given the recent news of Sony planning to port more games to PC. Or it will be through PSNow, which would still not require a PC gamer to buy a PlayStation to play it.

Lister

Banned
That's just false. Lots of PC gamers also have a Playstation or Switch as well for those games. No point with a Xbox as all Xbox games are on PC.

Care to share this data? How many pc gamers also own a console? I doubt its that much of an overlap. But I don't know for sure.

ethomaz

Banned
Or more likely they discussed with square enix and marvel early enough on to get exclusivity.
We have the actual dev saying Sony has the right to tell where Spider-Man is or not.

“We happen to be ones who can execute and deliver when it comes down to choices of where and what Spider-Man can be, that's a relationship question that you know PlayStation absolutely has the rights to, that as you guys know with Sony's [movie rights] ownership there and Marvel with Sony saying, 'Hey, this is something we can do, this is something we can do on this platform,' and as creators we have this opportunity that we can make something unique and fun and awesome.”

Last edited:

Cornbread78

MQrJOhA.gif

EDMIX

It's highly unlikely... but we did get Horizon Zero Dawn.
Hopefully Sony see the extra money HZD made from its PC release and port Spider-Man or Miles Morales over.
But again, I think it's highly unlikely.

Agreed. I think Sony is more likely to bring their older IP to PC. I think HZD did well for them.

bxrz

Different strokes for different folks. I agree with them. Horizon was absolutely fantastic, and so was TLoU2. If Sony first party titles weren't generation defining, we wouldn't have threads like these all the time.
TLOU2 botched the story. Horizon is solid but ain't anywhere near GOTG. Its a step above a Ubisoft game. Ubisoft games are usually 7s. Horizon is a 8

Short answer: hard No
Long answer:

Spiderman the Character is an asset within The Spiderman Franchise. The Franchise, like every Marvel property, is divided into 3 divisions: Comics, Film, and Merchandise*( come back to it later)

When Spiderman shows up in Comics and Merchandise, Marvel Comic owns the rights which is then owned by their parent company Disney.

Before Marvel was bought by Disney and was selling all their assets (to avoided bankruptcy), Sony bought the Film rights to the Spiderman Franchise. To this day, its Marvels own fault for making an unrecoverable deal saying: Paraphrasing "As long as you keep making content, you keep ownership"

*But Spiderman in video game is clearly Merchandise, answer:

"Marvel offered to let Sony publish an exclusive game. Sony approached Insomniac Games, which picked Spider-Man out of the entire Marvel catalog of superheroes.

In 2018, Marvel’s Spider-Man launched exclusively for PlayStation 4. The game released to critical acclaim and has since become one fo the best selling superhero games of all time with over 13 million units sold worldwide as of August 2019." - Does Sony own the video game rights to Spider-Man? (apptrigger.com)

NO. Sony does not own the rights to the spiderman game, Sony Admits Selling Spider-Man Merchandising Rights Were Short-Sighted (comicbook.com)

But, with both owning the movie rights, and having a video game studio that can produce spiderman games, it is a zero chance of Spiderman being on any other platform

ke5kOBN.jpg

8TKj1uA.jpg

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Next prob zero since it’s most likely gonna be a sequel to the other spider man PS4 games. Would have to go back to a 3rd party.

Not likely because they seem deep into star wars stuff but I’d love to see EA take a crack at it. Disney has a good thing going with them and the last few Star Wars games have been better then the movies. Respawn been killing it lately, would love to see there take but happy with there current output.

Last edited:

Entroyp

None if it’s developed by insomniac. If it does, it will probably be made by RARE or another crappy developer and be a MTX riddled “engagement” oriented snooze fest.

Megatron

Sony doesn’t own the game rights to Spiderman, but insomniac is a Sony studio. You will eventually see Spiderman on other systems. (He was on the switch exclusive ultimate alliance 3 in 2019) but you won’t likely see insomniacs Spiderman games on other systems.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
None, they will keep up the myth of only first party games will load much faster than Xbox ( with obviously no way to compare) Spiderman on the Dreamcast even loads in about 8 seconds.

Mhmmm 2077

If Sony won't release it on PC, then you'll be able to play it some day via Orbital. And by some day I mean in 5-10 years from now.

Sony didn’t allow the character to be in a cross-heroes game... only their version had the Spider-Man.

Ho to expect a game based on the character to be on other platforms?
This is the main takeaway.

I think this point to some exclusive deal/rights that most aren’t aware of.

K.S v2.0

Banned
I'd say the FIRST Spiderman game will eventually go to PC, the same way Horizon Zero Dawn did... If only just to advertise PS5 further. Normally I'd say 0 chance too but HZD basically blew that out of the water. Sony have also said they want to release more on PC themselves, so you can't ever say 'no chance' anymore.

HZD came too 'late' in the PS4's life on PC to convince a lot of ppl to jump due to everyone knowing the PS5 was around the corner, so many would have held off. Now they need to convince ppl the PS5 is worth it so... there's always a chance.

0% tbh. I love Playstation but Sony is stuck up. It rly wouldn’t be a smart move business wise either, so I don’t blame them

there’s more of a chance spider-man will come to Xbox than there is Bethesda games appearing on platforms that aren’t Game Pass, but it’s still not likely.

How have they failed when the sequel isn't even out yet

Remember when Marvel and Sony got into an argument and then it was declared that Spiderman will no longer be in the MCU because of it?

And then they changed decisions after Marvel made compromises in order for Spidey to stay in MCU?

Yeah, it's a hard battle upwards.

Likely 0 chance, but you never know in 10 years.

Zelent

0% tbh. I love Playstation but Sony is stuck up. It rly wouldn’t be a smart move business wise either, so I don’t blame them

Horizon came to PC, so it can't be 0%.

I'd say around 10-20% it comes to PC in the next few years.

Although honestly, I would rather they get Bloodborne on there sooner.

AeneaGames

Does Marvel own the rights to spider man the video game and if so can't they force the next sequel to be on all platforms? I've always wonder this, but I am not sure if Sony has some exclusive deal outside of the first one.

Zero chance for Xbox, maybe a pc port 3+ years after the PS5 release just like with horizon but even that I don't see happening...

AeneaGames

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says that all PlayStation exclusives will make it to the pc anyway. And he encourages everyone to pirate the games to punish Sony for their arrogance for locking up their exclusives on one platform and not allowing anyone else to play them.

Ehh what now? He's a Nintendo fan?
You did tell him that Nintendo does the same thing tho right? In fact they are worse since there never has been any port on pc of a Nintendo game!

AeneaGames

0. This is Sony we're talking about. The least consumer-friendly of the big 3 publishers

How many Nintendo and xbox exclusives released on a PlayStation?

No minecraft doesn't really count since it was already on PS before MS bought them.

Clarissa

Banned
Ehh what now? He's a Nintendo fan?
You did tell him that Nintendo does the same thing tho right? In fact they are worse since there never has been any port on pc of a Nintendo game!

Refer to this post that I linked below and do a search in the forums with the keywords "My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy" and it'll bring you results where I post anecdotes and screenshots of my friend. And yes. Such a person really does exist. Might bring you some chuckles as you read about him and shake your head in disbelief.

He's generally a nice guy (can be an absolute asshole at times) but his love for Nintendo is a little overwhelming to say the least and he has an irrational hatred for Sony for God knows what reason and has been spreading FUDs about the ps5 in the months leading to its launch on social media.

Post in thread 'GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gafs...ews-and-speculation-ot.1511476/post-261829392

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Here, look at this beat up, old-ass game, that plays a lot like a typical Ubisoft game. Aren't you impressed? Makes you want to buy our console, doesn't it? Ho ho ho

That would be a terrible reason if true.

Yeah to me that reasoning is something more of a coping mechanism from ps fanboys trying to make the HZD port as a one off.

Pc gamers are more like "well we bought this one to show you there's a market, now cut the crap and bring Bloodborne"

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Yeah to me that reasoning is something more of a coping mechanism from ps fanboys trying to make the HZD port as a one off.

Pc gamers are more like "well we bought this one to show you there's a market, now cut the crap and bring Bloodborne"

It is a one off. It's been forever since that port and nothing else has been announced. It was a great game meant to show off the talent of Playstation Worldwide Studios to PC players to garner their interest in Playstation consoles.

ACESHIGH

Banned
It is a one off. It's been forever since that port and nothing else has been announced. It was a great game meant to show off the talent of Playstation Worldwide Studios to PC players to garner their interest in Playstation consoles.

I am not sure about that, Sony released HZD across many pc storefronts even GoG and keeps patching the game 5 months after release. Too much effort for a one off.

To me it makes total sense that they stopped the announcements to focus on the ps5 release. Besides, Sony knows how sensitive their fanboys are about losing exclusives. (remember demon's souls PC announcement "mistake")You don't want that bad PR close to a console launch.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a higher chance of gears of war going to PlayStation than spider man to Xbox.

It played nothing like an Ubisoft game. The combat was thrilling. Second best game last gen after TLOU2 and absolutely beautiful.
C'mon now, you know what I mean. The game was fine, but it's hardly going to set the world on fire 3 years after launch as a mediocre pc port. Also, if their true goal was to get people interested in PS, then something like Bloodborne likely would've been a better choice.

trikster40

100%! Microsoft is going to buy Disney and therefore own Marvel. Sony’s going to end up having to sell Insomiac to Microsoft and forfeit the Spider-Man license because the PS5 is bombing.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Did Nintendo create Bayonetta?
uhh, this is really dumb as a comparison.
Sega owns Bayonetta, they are the rightsholder, Nintendo funded 2 and 3, which means they own the licence to those specific titles, but nothing else.
If Sega decided to self publish Bayonetta 4 on all platforms, they are free to do so.
If Sega decides to create a different entry in the franchise, but with the same characters, they are free to do so.
If Sega decides to license the character as a guest appearance somewhere else, they are free to do so.
If Microsoft offers to fund Bayonetta 5, Sega is free to accept that offer or not.

Now of course, Sega and Nintendo could have negotiated some backroom deals to ensure a bit of future exclusivity and no interim competing products, but they wouldn't be indefinite, since it wouldn't be in the rightsholder's best interest to do so.

Now replace Sega with Marvel, Nintendo with Sony and Bayonetta with Spider-Man.

Top Bottom