• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the notable Roguelike / Roguelites from the past Decade?

VN1X

Banned
Also I'm curious if people here have tried out Ember Knights yet? Curious to hear if it's any decent.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Got it installed but not yet tried it no. Have a Nice Death and Forward have kind of already been sucking up my gaming time.

Hope I get to it sometime this week!
Man Have a nice death is so good, even if I feel like the healing power/item is totally overpowered.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Also I'm curious if people here have tried out Ember Knights yet? Curious to hear if it's any decent.

I tried it it is pretty good and hard too but I'm a sucker for roguelike/lite games, there's no a lot of content yet ...Or at least last time I tried.

GymWolf

Yessir!

Not sure about its longevity but so far it already has sunken its Slay the Spire/Monster Train-like hooks into me. It's very moreish.
I hate card games unfortunately.
Man Have a nice death is so good, even if I feel like the healing power/item is totally overpowered.
How is it content wise since it's still early access? Weapons, enemies, locations, combinations of skills etc.?

And if you have to pick something witu similar gameplay\combat feeling, what would be your choice?

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

How is it content wise since it's still early access? Weapons, enemies, locations, combinations of skills etc.?

And if you have to pick something witu similar gameplay\combat feeling, what would be your choice?
I think it is just the first world so far so 1 mini boss and one boss, 2 weapons choice at the start of a run (sword or bow)and I'd say about a dozen spells...
For a similar game it really hard to say, maybe undermine?
It is more a slice and dodge attacks, it controls quite well at least on a controller, boss is pretty tanky and more about knowing when to dodge.

Edit sorry I thought you were replaying to my post about ember knight

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Since I apparently couldn't be asked to read correctly I will now answer to what you really asked instead of another game.
Have a nice death is amazing, I loved it, there's around 5 weapons (all based on upgrade on you base scythe) but there are a lot of spells like throwing knives, fireballs, heavy hammer,dagger etc...
The game is quite fast paced during action with really responsive controls there's not a lot of healing in the game so you have to be careful and the game relies heavily on upgrading you base weapon and spells.
There also a fury system that works both on your base weapon and for spells too, it is a joy to play a gives a bit of Dead cells feeling, sure there is less weapons and no subtraits to those weapons but you can acquire them via upgrading your character.
You can chose passive skill in the upgrade section and there's a tree different for each run and some skills will come with a curse (x ennemies stronger or attacks 3 times instead of 2 etc...).
It has a great artstyle and humor watch some gameplays it is awesome, my only complaint is that , in the game you can walk through ennemies but when you do you can't dodge so I often tried to dodge when I couldn't and got hit, otherwise I loved it.

VN1X

Banned
Perhaps this is one to check out then as it's more of a dungeon crawler in 'card' stylings. Imagine Slay the Spire but without the deckbuilding where you just attack, or sneak past, and the enemy's health is also their attack power. It's a super basic concept but still manages to be very fun and captivating. Some have said that you can't go as crazy with the items as seen in similar type games but I've already found some really fun synergies that can just dominate runs.

Anyway if you really have a dislike for card games in general then the whole conceit of it looking like one might be wasted on you hehe. I think it feels very tactile and adds a certain charm though.

I've only played about two hours so far but as far as systems go there's a lot to unlock and upgrade already. Plus the presentation of everything (UI, visuals, etc) is really, really well done.

I'll be honest I've not had that much experience with these 2D Roguelike Slash-Em-Up's (as I didn't really get on with Dead Cells and have yet to play Rogue Legacy (2) but as far as combat goes I think you could easily compare it to Hades. You can mash your way to victory and spam basic attacks but have to contend with dodging enemy strikes as well or other timings. You pick up better (special) weaponry along the way that have all have varying amounts of cooldowns which you can then also upgrade along the run. It's also just gotten a new update that added... stuff? So yeah for that price I'd definitely recommend it and obviously you'll know soon enough if i's for you or if it warrants a refund.

EDIT: Oops thought that was out already but that update is coming July 7th.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Perhaps this is one to check out then as it's more of a dungeon crawler in 'card' stylings. Imagine Slay the Spire but without the deckbuilding where you just attack, or sneak past, and the enemy's health is also their attack power. It's a super basic concept but still manages to be very fun and captivating. Some have said that you can't go as crazy with the items as seen in similar type games but I've already found some really fun synergies that can just dominate runs.

Anyway if you really have a dislike for card games in general then the whole conceit of it looking like one might be wasted on you hehe. I think it feels very tactile and adds a certain charm though.

I've only played about two hours so far but as far as systems go there's a lot to unlock and upgrade already. Plus the presentation of everything (UI, visuals, etc) is really, really well done.

I'll be honest I've not had that much experience with these 2D Roguelike Slash-Em-Up's (as I didn't really get on with Dead Cells and have yet to play Rogue Legacy (2) but as far as combat goes I think you could easily compare it to Hades. You can mash your way to victory and spam basic attacks but have to contend with dodging enemy attacks and other timings. You pick up better (special) weaponry along the way that have all have varying amounts of cooldowns which you can then also upgrade along the run. It's also just gotten a new update that added... stuff? So yeah for that price I'd definitely recommend it and obviously you'll know soon enough if i's for you or if it warrants a refund.

EDIT: Oops thought that was out already but that update is coming July 7th.

Yeah it is awesome and I am eagerly waiting every update, this game is really good.People should try it if they aren't hooked in their few first runs then it is not for them and can get a refund.

VN1X

Banned
Yeah it is awesome and I am eagerly waiting every update, this game is really good.People should try it if they aren't hooked in their few first runs then it is not for them and can get a refund.
Yeah I love how fast paced it is. Not only the movement and combat but also the fact that you don't have to do any metroidvania-ing lol. That's what I disliked about Dead Cells the most, just the sheer amount of platforming and exploration. Just didn't have time for that heh. I get that it's widely regarded as one of the greats and I can see the quality on display obviously but I just didn't get on with that aspect of the game.

In HAND (that's an abbreviation alright) I've yet to even use the map. It's ticked all the right boxes for me so far!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah I love how fast paced it is. Not only the movement and combat but also the fact that you don't have to do any metroidvania-ing lol. That's what I disliked about Dead Cells the most, just the sheer amount of platforming and exploration. Just didn't have time for that heh. I get that it's widely regarded as one of the greats and I can see the quality on display obviously but I just didn't get on with that aspect of the game.

In HAND (that's an abbreviation alright) I've yet to even use the map. It's ticked all the right boxes for me so far!
Yeah levels are pretty straightforward (except those with those needle doctors, if you reached that far you'll know what I'm talking about) and it is also so smooth to play really I loved it and it's been a long time since a rogue like caught me so much.The best part is that it is not even finished yet...Another downside is that I would like it to have more secrets, or maybe I was too bad to find them.

Ogbert

Good game.

Reasonably simple, but very polished. Not a huge amount of content but you should get 10-15 hours out of it. Three weapons at the moment.

I’d say it’s worth it.

Ogbert

I’m not hugely taken by Have a nice death.

Very polished but the combat is a little too random for my tastes. It’s almost amazing, but doesn’t quite have it at the moment.

Top Bottom