• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the odds of a PS4 Pro Controller?

I won't lie, I've got two PS4 controllers that have analog sticks with problems, and in general I'm aware there are problems with PS4 controllers wearing quickly.

I'd love to just get a controller with a better build quality, like the Xbox One Elite Controller.

I'm unsure how plausable such a thing is however. What are the odds we get a higher end controller?

Falchion

I would buy an official PS4 pro controller in a heartbeat but Sony doesn't appear to be interested in that kind of stuff which sucks.

laxu

Slim. I hope for the inevitable PS5 they at least add some grip buttons and higher quality sticks.

I've bought the Nacom and used the Razer 3rd party 'Elite' controllers and they're both not very good next to the XB1 Elite. I wish there were a comparable option on PS4 with paddles and a stronger build quality.

Pizza

PS4 actually already has two pro controllers:

30494474891_28ff280efd_b.jpg

Edit:
I've bought the Nacom and used the Razer 3rd party 'Elite' controllers and they're both not very good next to the XB1 Elite. I wish there were a comparable option on PS4 with paddles and a stronger build quality.

damn most of what I've read about em have been the opposite reaction, I've actually been jonesing for the razer one lately so thanks for saving me the cash!

I fucking love my Xbox Elite controller and I'd dig a Sony equivalent

jrcbandit

Isn't the build quality of the Xbox One Elite controller worse than a standard XB1 controller?

Yes and No. The build quality of the Xbox One Elite controller is actually quite nice/improved over the Xbox One regular controller except the shoulder bumpers. They are shoddily designed and can break easily, but the rest is good. I got the extended Best Buy warranty for like $10 or so because the Elite controller is known for having bumpers break.

Arklite

As posted, there's two officially licensed pro pads from third parties. Sony seems uninterested so I wouldn't' hold my breath expecting something from them.

Spent hundreds of hours with my 2016 controllers and they're in perfect condition. I don't think Sony follow up with new controllers since the latest iteration is really good already.

Third party seems like the only options.

I think scuf has a new design. Bigger or rather wider controller. But I have heard issues with quality in the past.

I'd at least be interested in a Sony official pro type controller

Smax

I got the Nacon and it's better than the DS4. Ergonomics and build quality are a vast improvement. Only very minor drawbacks are that it's corded and doesn't have a speaker.

I also have the Xbox Elite and their almost identical layout helps switching between consoles. It doesn't feel to me there is a need for another PS premium controller.

the_big_country

Neo Member
Your best bet is a Scuf.

Scufs have awful reliability. Many of my friends went with Scufs when purchasing pro controllers, and not a single person has had a problem-free controller. Plus their prices are way more expensive than competitors because of CoD eSports marketing.

The best options right now for a pro controller on PS4 are companies that essentially mod a stock DS4. Battle Beaver, Cinch, AimControllers and Sharq are a few examples. I went with Battle Beaver because of their Smart Triggers, which turn L2/R2 into mouse buttons and are pretty nice. Alternatively, you can go with an Xbox Elite hooked up to a CronusMAX/Brooks converter, but this is way more expensive and complicated, not to mention the build quality issues of the Elite controllers.

jryeje29

Id say not very likely but who knows, with Microsoft starting to do better maybe Sony feel like invisible hand of the market and start to make these type of changes, if not then at least the third party market is out there.

mmGER

Neo Member
Sorry for being late to the party, but can anyone give a little background on whats the deal with 3rd-party-wirless? Before Hori announced the Onyx I actually thought Sony uses some kind of proprietary bluetooth on the DS4 and that's why 3rd-party-guys like Nacon do the wire-thing (I mean, latency? C'mon.), also isnt that basically the reason why SCUF and others mod the DS4? I assume the missing headphone-jack on the Onyx has something to do with the BT-connectivity, bc they're somehow limited from transmitting sound (same with the power-on-functionallity)?
Would be great if someone could clarify!

All I want is either a three times as large of a battery or replaceable batteries like on the Xbox One controller. It's not worth having lithium-ion batteries if they barely hold a charge for a few sessions of gaming. Every time I have friends over, at least one of our PS4 controllers will need to be recharged in the middle of our sessions.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Yes and No. The build quality of the Xbox One Elite controller is actually quite nice/improved over the Xbox One regular controller except the shoulder bumpers. They are shoddily designed and can break easily, but the rest is good. I got the extended Best Buy warranty for like $10 or so because the Elite controller is known for having bumpers break.
Bumper and the sticks. The S controllers fixed both of those issues the Best Xbox controller close to the elite are the Recon controllers. all he better parts bumpers sticks and rubber grips just no paddles. I'd do anything for a good offset stick wireless PS4 controller. the stick grips on the DS4 are just too slick and the triggers are tiny and fragile never mind the terrible battery life.

Bumper and the sticks. The S controllers fixed both of those issues the Best Xbox controller close to the elite are the Recon controllers. all he better parts bumpers sticks and rubber grips just no paddles. I'd do anything for a good offset stick wireless PS4 controller. the stick grips on the DS4 are just too slick and the triggers are tiny and fragile never mind the terrible battery life.
I'll second the battery life. It's a joke how little life they have.

MrBenchmark

I would like an elite version as well.

I have two launch DS4 and I had to replace both controller's thumbstick. One of them even has lose triggers which is annoying as hell.

Thinking about getting a new one actually (transparent crystal white) since I heard the quality has improved. But would love a better version.

Rellik

Absolutely not. I own a Elite controller and the build quality is outstanding.

I'm still on my original and never had a single issue with it, but there's clearly some build quality issues if you look at the amount of issues others have had.

small_law

I hoped they would, but I ran out of patience. I tried the original Nacon and didn't like it, so I broke down and got a Scuf Impact. The crummy finish on Scuf's own thumbsticks wears off too easily, but it's otherwise the best PS4 controller I've used. Xbox Elite's build quality is leagues better, but the Scuf is holding up very well.

Be gentle. This is my first Neogaf reply ever.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well, you have to think why MS did it, they did it to win back the good will of gamers who they hurt with there bad choices.
Sony on the other hand have seen great success. Which does not mean there complacent, but there priorities will be different.
I think the PlayStation bosses will not see a pro controller being worth the investment, and I agree with them.
While some games like yourself would like a higher quality and more expensive controller, the ds4 is one of the best controllers sony have made and from a business point a view its to small of an issue worth investing in.

I personally love the DS4, I put grips covers on the thumb pads because I know the pads are prone yo wearing out but apart from that Ive had no problems with it.
Perhaps getting some kind of guarantee would be a good idea for you.

preskerd

Neo Member
Highly unlikely. I don't think they need to make one either. DS4 is already beautiful. I don't think they can add meaningful changes to it to make a official one. I use xbox one elite controller on my pc and I can easily say it's not worth the money. I think special controllers should offer both higher quality and add extra futures to justifty their price points

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Scufs have awful reliability. Many of my friends went with Scufs when purchasing pro controllers, and not a single person has had a problem-free controller. Plus their prices are way more expensive than competitors because of CoD eSports marketing.

The best options right now for a pro controller on PS4 are companies that essentially mod a stock DS4. Battle Beaver, Cinch, AimControllers and Sharq are a few examples. I went with Battle Beaver because of their Smart Triggers, which turn L2/R2 into mouse buttons and are pretty nice. Alternatively, you can go with an Xbox Elite hooked up to a CronusMAX/Brooks converter, but this is way more expensive and complicated, not to mention the build quality issues of the Elite controllers.

This is what i do. Xbox Elite controller with a brooks adapter. Works perfectly.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I know past scufs had shit quality control, has anyone tested a scuf impact yet? Nearly just a xbox elite controller for PS4, If only they copied the xbox joystick layout also.

soft-touch-white-impact_1_.png

JayBabay

I wish they would make a Pro controller akin to Xbox’s Elite controller. Love the high quality materials, I’m always a sucker for that kind of stuff and the paddles in the back would make jumping while aiming so much more comfortable in FPS games.

Honestly, with the current install base, now is a good a time as ever.

Top Bottom