• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, are you listening to?

teezzy

Banned
106156_500x.jpg

Disco Volante is one of my favorite albums of all time and this song is a perfect encapsulation as to why. It's completely outlandish and yet they play it straight which makes it even more unnerving. There's this fantastic playing and yet the keyboards sound absolutely cheesy. Then just as you're getting comfortable in the haunted ballroom, it abruptly ends and it becomes this weird proto chillwave track with Patton talking about jerking off while farting. There's just so much stuff packed in 2 minutes and it all sounds vanilla until you realize that's not how music works.

teezzy

Banned
I've got this LP on neon pink vinyl. It looks so sick. Great album too.

Adrenaline is maybe my least listened to in their discography, and I listen to them more than most bands. It's angry and rough around the edges unlike anything they put out later. You can hear hints of how their sound would evolve. Really interesting in that regard. Steph's riffs are so strange here.

But yeah, solid stuff. Amazing how much they found their groove with Around the Fur and White Pony soon after though.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I love this song while running. Something magic happens where my stride syncs to the beat/flow in such a way that makes me feel weightless.

Adrenaline is maybe my least listened to in their discography, and I listen to them more than most bands. It's angry and rough around the edges unlike anything they put out later. You can hear hints of how their sound would evolve. Really interesting in that regard. Steph's riffs are so strange here.

But yeah, solid stuff. Amazing how much they found their groove with Around the Fur and White Pony soon after though.

I grew up with punk so the rough edges are appealing. TBH, it's my favorite album of theirs start-to-finish. They have a solid discography too.

teezzy

Banned
I grew up with punk so the rough edges are appealing. TBH, it's my favorite album of theirs start-to-finish. They have a solid discography too.

I understand where you're coming from. Lo fi production can be cool for like punk, grind, or black metal, even indie folk stuff

Deftones, for me, are much different though. Like a lot of post metal bands, I'd lump into the same category- their biggest strength is the atmosphere they can create. That punk grit is sorta the antithesis of that. Maybe my least favorite album by them for that reason.

I'm curious, you ever listened to Gore by them? It's the album everyone sorts dunks on for whatever reason, but critics loved it initially. It's almost like a Deftones indie hard rock album. The production is almost intentionally flat.

I dig it, but its maybe their most divisive release.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I understand where you're coming from. Lo fi production can be cool for like punk, grind, or black metal, even indie folk stuff

Deftones, for me, are much different though. Like a lot of post metal bands, I'd lump into the same category- their biggest strength is the atmosphere they can create. That punk grit is sorta the antithesis of that. Maybe my least favorite album by them for that reason.

I'm curious, you ever listened to Gore by them? It's the album everyone sorts dunks on for whatever reason, but critics loved it initially. It's almost like a Deftones indie hard rock album. The production is almost intentionally flat.

I dig it, but its maybe their most divisive release.

I didn't mind it, tbh. I haven't listened to Ohms enough to know whether I prefer it to Gore. I did like Gore more than Koi No Yokan, but it's been a long time since I've listened to that one.

I really, really love Chino's side project Crosses. That probably tops Deftones for me. Hard to compare the Deftones entire catalog to a series of 3 EPs.

teezzy

Banned
If there were an award for "totally dope band who does the Tool thing nearly as good as Tool does... if not just as good... "Soen would win it hands down

teezzy

Banned
I will check them out.

You should! Soen are a prog metal supergroup. They absolutely developed into their own thing as they went on, but their debut I posted, Cognitive, feels like an unreleased Tool album lol, and it's on par quality wise too.

Initially formed in 2004,[1] it was in May 2010 that the formation of Soen was announced. The original lineup consisted of former Opeth drummer Martin Lopez, ex-Death, Testament and Sadus bassist Steve Di Giorgio, Willowtree vocalist Joel Ekelöf and guitarist Kim Platbarzdis.[2]

Last edited:
Top Bottom