• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (8/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

I'm continuing to brush up on my twentieth-century American history:

1883011582.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
1573222739.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Read this in one sitting yesterday afternoon. Fairly engaging story, although nowhere near as interesting as the jacket description makes it out to be. I then moved on to...

jk.gif

I'd originally become interested in this when David Gordon Green was supposedly working on a movie adaptation (which fell through, or at least his version did), but just recently got around to buying the book. The story is absurd, wildly loopy, and at times flat out brilliant, the characters can be disgusting and offensive, while never failing to be entertaining and bafflingly likable. This is a great book and I'm only a third of the way in.

And because I'm utterly addicted to his show on PBS, I picked up a Charlie Trotter cookbook last week.

1580086136.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Just finished the five Harry Potter books. =) I was dumb to stay away from it for so long.

Eric Hobsbawm, The Age of Capital: 1848-1875

Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss (sp)

and I just finished Lichtenstein's State of the Union (sp)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I started reading The Silmarillion again, but stopped when I got Fire Emblem... I'll probably get the 5th book in the Dark Tower series (Wolves of the Calla) by Stephen King today though.

norinrad21 said:

What do you think about this book? I enjoyed the first 100 or so pages, but after a while the author made me stop feeling zen-like and just want to throw it against a wall. I never went back to finish it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
vermeer in bosnia, by lawrence weschler. collection of essays, basically. his depth of research and knowledge and the facility with which he makes unexpected connections are pretty remarkable.

pops619

0393324818.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is a must read if you're a baseball fan. It really makes you look at baseball in a different way. It's unbelievable how stupid and stubborn most of the management in baseball is. You'd think a book like this would change things, but it really hasn't that much. There are still plenty of baseball people who are stupid and stubborn and call Moneyball garbage. That's why the Oakland A's have been contenders for the last four or five years now and will continue to be so for years to come despite having some of the lowest payrolls in the game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just picked up this and the first book of Erikson's Malazan series. Both come highly recommended, and I'm diving into both with basically zero preconception.

1585675598.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

White Man

pynchon.jpg

I've been reading this over and over again for the past month. My book budget is limited and it gets even better with subsequent readings. It's my second favorite Pynchon, next to Gravity's Rainbow. That, however, is thicker, pricier, more difficult to read, and never available in used book shops.

The Crying of Lot 49 is a must for anybody into paranoid literature. It practically invented the genre. Pynchon stays a couple steps ahead of the rest of the pack by dazzling the reader with his incredibly esoteric academic knowledge. Check this shiz out. It's short, too.

docu5074.jpg

This is also a reread. I still haven't read the third volume, but again, I'm poor. This is only the second time I've read this, so I have another 50 readings to go before I absorb a good portion of the book. Not quite as epoch-making as the first book, but I don't think that would be a reasonable expectation to have in the first place. I'm not sure if my next Foucault will be the third volume of The History of Sexuality. For how interesting the subject matter is, today sex has been done to death. I think I'll move back to some of his anti-psychiatric works that are oh-so-relevant in today's society. It's also a school of thought foolishly overlooked these days.

Finally,

tractatus.jpg

I'm two steps away from giving up on this one.

1) Wittgenstein is tooooooough. And this isn't even the more important of the two books he wrote.
2) I really should've gotten a primer for this, or one of the dumbed down versions that edits out portions of Ludwig's more incomprehensible puttering.
3) I don't know about you guys, but I'm beginning to think that atomistic logical positivism may be a pile of horse-shit that has no real bearing on real life. I'm just saying, you know?

tt_deeb

For school...

30121139.jpg

Just got done reading(also for school):

Death Of A Salesman
Of Mice And Men

Both pretty good.

Also finally finishing up the last story of:

30352734.jpg

I really enjoy the above and I don't read too much so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Alucard

Banned
0385504470.jpg

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

I'm really liking it so far. 100 pages in. It's the first Palahniuk book I've picked up and the first real novel I've started in months. I should be finished it by Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom