• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2010)

xBigDanx

finowns said:
0553804685.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I would have to say The Lies of Locke Lamora was a much better book. Really liking the series though.

Yeah I agree. It's good but not nearly as good as The Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm anxiously awaiting the next book in the series.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Finished up Use of Weapons the other day. Best Culture novel so far, and it's not even close. That book is brilliant.

I have The Reality Disfunction - Hamilton and Foundation - Asimov on top of my book shelf ready to be read. However, I'm actually thinking about re-reading:

awxowl.jpg

FnordChan

allegate said:
That's good to know. I'm slowly working through the series, and am currently on book 3 (waiting for the library hold).

Like Slappy said, the Dresden Files series just keeps getting better as it goes along. I enjoy the early books in the series just fine, but things don't really get going until after the third or fourth book. At that point Butcher has most of the main factions introduced, at which point he winds 'em up and all hell breaks loose. You're in for a great ride.

So, Gibson is coasting on the basis of Neuromancer isn't he?

I wouldn't say that, though I haven't read all of his books. I enjoyed Pattern Recognition quite a bit, enough that I bought Spook Country in hardcover...even if I haven't gotten around to reading it just yet. If you weren't feeling either of those, I reckon you may as well get off the bandwagon, or, if you haven't done so already, stick with the Sprawl Trilogy.

FnordChan

JeTmAn81

Karakand said:
Pretty sure translation and source language won't erase away the shopping list realism, which is his most offensive quality.

Now now, there's more to a novel than just the quality of the prose. At least judging from the English translation, prose was not among Larsson's strong suits; those were character and plot. I actually enjoy the amount of mundane detail he sometimes injects into his writing, though, and the example you cited is not a good representation of the writing as a whole. It's only on occasion that he'll include so much detail.

JeTmAn81

2047-1.jpg

Currently I'm re-reading through this as I never managed to finish the final arc (the trade collecting those issues was out of print). Great, visceral crime fiction where the lines of morality are blurred and foes become friends. Excellent early work from Brubaker and Phillips. Also, yes this is a comic.

hey guys im looking for a book but i cant reambear what the name of it is. it had a red bicycle on the front cover and it seemed to be very popular last summer

Dresden

chuckddd said:
Finished up Use of Weapons the other day. Best Culture novel so far, and it's not even close. That book is brilliant.

I have The Reality Disfunction - Hamilton and Foundation - Asimov on top of my book shelf ready to be read. However, I'm actually thinking about re-reading:

awxowl.jpg
Might want to look for the Fitzgerald or the Fagles translation. It's a different experience from the Lattimore version, I think.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
terrdactycalsrock said:
hey guys im looking for a book but i cant reambear what the name of it is. it had a red bicycle on the front cover and it seemed to be very popular last summer

Is it this one?

i3fj12.jpg

Dresden said:
Might want to look for the Fitzgerald or the Fagles translation. It's a different experience from the Lattimore version, I think.

I actually have Rees' translation. I read that Fagles has the best "modern" translation and Fitzgerald's probably gets the most praise. Maybe I should just learn Greek, it'd be almost as easy as sifting through the 200+ different translations.

Arment

8509340.jpg

Just finished book 3 (The Wastelands) and am now moving on to book 4 (Wizard and Glass)

Absolutely love this series, can't believe I waited this long to read it.

A previous professor just gave me this:

41mOfMirXoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I have the previous edition, so I am just skimming the new articles.

Reading this off and on, as well:

41wc9AX8MPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Slappy967

Neo Member
8632791.jpg

Post Changes and a quick re-read of Turn Coat I have been spending my time reading this and have found it quite enjoyable thus far.

S. L.

just finished:
haldeman_camouflage_20u9ip.jpg

it's a solid book, especially compared to all the craptacular "adventure" scifi i read lately.
A fairly quick read, took me 2-3 days and Haldeman doesn't baby the reader which is always a plus.
the ending and the love story angle really sucked thou :lol

Now reading
anthonybourdain79pg.jpg

which is good fun

Jarlaxle

Still reading The Scions of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I am never, ever, ever, ever buying more than 3 books in a series again without at least reading one first. I still have 7 more of these craptacular books to go. I don't know if I can do it.

51B8GXafKEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Absolutely amazing. Basically a five day transcribed interview with David Foster Wallace. Anyone ever inclined to read or write even a grocery list must read it. Seven hundred eighty stars.

Drewsky

NEOPARADIGM said:
For like the third time:

1248601808-41y0yywsp2l.jpg

For a bit I was thinking, "this sucks, he's way too young and immature during this period ..." but before long it sucked me right in again, like only Nietzsche can.

The "Wanderer and His Shadow" section is the straight dope.
Been wanting to read some Nietzsche for a while, where's a good place to start?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KidDork said:
This was my favourite of his books. His years of playing RPGs really shines through here.

As for me, I'm halfway through this:

bladeitself-752023.jpg

Abercrombie's work is similar in style and tone to George R.R. Martin and Steve Erikson, so I was pretty much won over by the third page. His action sequences are a lot of fun--he really makes you wonder just who is going to survive to the end of the book, since nothing in this world--nothing-- ever seems to go easy.

I'm reading The Blade Itself right now as well. I actually only have about 50 pages left, though.

The book is fantastic. After about 50 pages in I immediately ordered the other two books in the trilogy.

You are right about the action sequences and I just really enjoy his writing style in general and his dialogue is superb. I've found myself grinning quite a few times at some of the passages.

It takes a while for the story to get moving, but that didn't bother me at all because I just was so entertained by how everything was written.

Just finishing this up fantastic read. I took a few Evolution courses in college but I still loved this book and learned a lot.
25sxu9s.jpg

Based on some lofty recommendations in the "books that changed your life" thread. I really like it so far.
aniwk8.jpg

BenjaminBirdie said:
51B8GXafKEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Absolutely amazing. Basically a five day transcribed interview with David Foster Wallace. Anyone ever inclined to read or write even a grocery list must read it. Seven hundred eighty stars.

Just bought it tonight, as a matter of fact. Plan to rip through it this weekend. Lipsky is actually posting regularly on the Wallace-l email list, which is cool; nothing Earth-shattering, but cool...

charsace

Only reached the Story of Dure but already this great. I have read another work of Simmons (Children of the Night), so I knew his writing would be good. This book draws me in more from the beginning though. Maybe its because this book lacks the depressing and savage feel at the start that Children of the Night had.

Dresden

n8315.jpg

Reading this again. I have to admit that the prose seems a bit too obtuse now, because I'm no longer interested in re-reading passages to glean for hidden shit.

Also, are first edition/first printings of this book rare? :D

sparky2112 said:
Just bought it tonight, as a matter of fact. Plan to rip through it this weekend. Lipsky is actually posting regularly on the Wallace-l email list, which is cool; nothing Earth-shattering, but cool...

Cool! I just joined it!

:D

FnordChan said:
Like Slappy said, the Dresden Files series just keeps getting better as it goes along. I enjoy the early books in the series just fine, but things don't really get going until after the third or fourth book. At that point Butcher has most of the main factions introduced, at which point he winds 'em up and all hell breaks loose. You're in for a great ride.
I started reading them because of the tv series and I'm enjoying them.
I wouldn't say that, though I haven't read all of his books. I enjoyed Pattern Recognition quite a bit, enough that I bought Spook Country in hardcover...even if I haven't gotten around to reading it just yet. If you weren't feeling either of those, I reckon you may as well get off the bandwagon, or, if you haven't done so already, stick with the Sprawl Trilogy.

FnordChan
I just picked up the "how to read a book" book because I feel like I'm missing something sometimes when I read. Pattern Recognition got better in the last few chapters, to be sure, but it was still jarring to read about someone who hates trademarks but surrounds herself with so many of them.

I'm reading jPod by Douglas Coupland right now, and it's pretty good. The author has referenced himself twice thus far, and that was Dark Tower levels of yikes. I'm not very far into the book, but I should have it finished shortly. I'll be starting Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins next week after reading about it in here. Read the first Scott Pilgrim book yesterday, and it was alright. Sets up the story well enough, and I'm reading them to get ready for the movie.

mjc

I thought the First Law trilogy was pretty great, but Glokta's constant whining about his aching body almost put me over the edge. Otherwise I thought it was great.

stupei

On a bit of a young adult fiction kick based off some very good recommendations from a friend. Read The Hunger Games a few days ago and now I'm on A Great and Terrible Beauty.

34ipz78.jpg

I'm honestly starting to think that I prefer writing geared toward young adults when it comes to genre fiction in particular. I like when fantasy doesn't take itself too seriously.

mjc said:
I thought the First Law trilogy was pretty great, but Glokta's constant whining about his aching body almost put me over the edge. Otherwise I thought it was great.

As a character, his constant pain is a major reason for why he is psychologically close to the edge. So, I don't see that as much of a criticism.

Currently reading a book I bought after I seeing BorkBork's post about it earlier this month and I concur with the OP sentiment, it's hilarious:
33wqzwm.jpg

I have also just started reading this:
2z4z5eb.jpg

Tim the Wiz said:
As a character, his constant pain is a major reason for why he is psychologically close to the edge. So, I don't see that as much of a criticism.

Yeah. He was so malformed and fucked up, your brain can't really process it and by default tries to picture him as somewhat normal. I think the book did a good job of constantly reminding you what christing awful shape he was in.

mjc

Tim the Wiz said:

Right and I get that, but Abercrombie makes sure to mention it in every single Glokta-focused chapter.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Started A Confederacy of Dunces a couple days ago. About to head off to a cafe to read it some more.

thomaser

Finished The Three Musketeers by Dumas last night. Great book, I love a good revenge or two, or three...

Started Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson. Have big expectations!

518SO5W9%2BXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

allegate said:
I just picked up the "how to read a book" book because I feel like I'm missing something sometimes when I read. Pattern Recognition got better in the last few chapters, to be sure, but it was still jarring to read about someone who hates trademarks but surrounds herself with so many of them.

Are you talking about the bomber jacket? I can't think of any other trademark she uses.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Reading some HST.

Currently reading The Rum Diary. Very good read, probably my favorite from HST. Kemp's pointless, alcohol filled life kinda reminds me of my own life at the moment (well my life isn't as crazy but still) so the book is even better read now then it was back when I first read it.

Next:
2qx2p14.jpg

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Just finished American Psycho (Bret Easton Ellis) today. I had heard a little about it before, and saw the movie so long ago that I can't remember it. I know the book caught a lot of shit when it came out.

The book is exceedingly disturbing, but not only for the (deservedly) notorious graphic depictions of total human dismemberment/evisceration and sex! It is kind of like reading the thoughts of someone who is clearly a deranged person in a world that is also deranged, peppered with the quaintness of now-super-outdated late 80s/early 90s yuppie technology and fashion. It would be easy to criticize the repetitiveness of the prose itself, and the constant description and brand references, but it's all in character enough that you just kinda roll with it, or at least I did.

Started to make me kind of physically disoriented as I crossed into the latter fourth of the book and everything sort of started to run together. Definitely an intense read for anyone who is into that kind of thing.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
the_desert_spear_cover.jpg

The Desert Spear, haven't finished The Book of Jhereg yet but its an omnibus so i finished the book i was on and will finish this before going back. Was a good day today, doing a 7 1/2 hour PC reimage at a super market so got to read a fair bit, diggin it so far!

Undeux

Finished Girl Who Played With Fire today. Pretty good. Someone who has read the third book, please tell me that the trilogy has a somewhat satisfying ending. I've been reading that it was meant to be a much longer series and I don't want to finish the third book on a cliffhanger. :-/

Stealth

InfiniteNine said:
About to start this:
CIMG1060.jpg

Having just put that book down about 6 hours ago, I can say without any doubt that you, good sir, are in for a treat. If I wasn't abroad right now, I'd have gone to buy A Clash of Kings today. But, that will have to wait until June... which is good, considering that GRRM isn't planning on finishing Dance until after the 2012 disaster. :D

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Undeux said:
Finished Girl Who Played With Fire today. Pretty good. Someone who has read the third book, please tell me that the trilogy has a somewhat satisfying ending. I've been reading that it was meant to be a much longer series and I don't want to finish the third book on a cliffhanger. :-/

Sorry to let you down, but the third book doesn't really have a very satisfying ending. It's not terrible by any means, but it's a bit.. disappointing.

Top Bottom