• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? December/Wishlist Edition

To Read:
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
The White Tiger: A Novel

On my holiday wishlist:
The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments

thomaser

Just finished an exam, so I have time to read. Went right to it with great optimism, and started The Western Canon - The Books and School of the Ages by Harold Bloom. Will take a while. Basically, one of the most brilliant and interesting literary critics ever talks about 26 authors he himself thinks constitute the western canon. I've read perhaps half of the books he'll discuss, so it should be interesting. His Shakespeare-fanboyism puts anything on the Gaming forum to shame, though.

51F7661F72L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

After this, something short. Maybe Our Lady of the Flowers by Jean Genet.

Just finished : The Road (Thought it was amazing, although I thought he used 'And' overly but amazing none the less)

Now I am deciding on my next read, I just purchased ' World War Z' today in fact, So I may start it today.

But I still have yet to open 'Nation' by Terry P.It's so hard to choose what books to read each time I finish the current one.

John Stubbs' biography of John Donne ... for my seminar.

Very engaging book thus far. Gives a great sense of late 16th, early 17th century England.

FnordChan

41LfdvyP9eL._SS500_.jpg

I just finished reading the first three of Richard Stark's Parker novels: The Hunter (adapted as Point Blank with Lee Marvin and Payback with Mel Gibson), The Man With The Getaway Face, and The Outfit. They're all tremendously entertaining hard boiled early-60s crime stories, with tons of minimalist style and a supremely badass hero. For anyone here who likes crime fiction, I can't really recommend these highly enough. Each book is self contained but contains a nice hook to keep you reading, so I practically had to tear myself away and take a break before starting up the next in the series.

51MQ493-PGL._SS500_.jpg

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the previous novels in Jim Butchers' Codex Alera fantasy series to run out and buy Princep's Fury in hardcover as soon as it was released. The setting is a world loosely based on the Roman Empire where most people have elemental powers, but the real appeal are Butcher's characters, who are appealing, and the fast paced plot, which isn't high literature but sure is a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to tearing through it over the next couple of days.

FnordChan

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
To keep with the time of year, I've started reading 'The Bible According to Spike Milligan'. Funny read.

Reza_Neko

although I'm reading it for mythology class, it's not that bad:
The Vanishing Hitchhiker and Other Urban Legends.

Also reading Life, The Universe, and Everything (part of the Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy series).

Wishlist: Napoleon's Privates, 2500 Years of History Unzipped

aparisi2274

I just ordered these:

51nxQYVLCQL._SS500_.jpg

I am a big Howard Stern fan and I love Artie, so I wanted to check this out..

51UznniYgqL._SS500_.jpg

I can't wait to get this one... I have read all his other Cotton Malone books and each one is better than the last... From the reviews I have read on this book, they say this is the best Malone story yet.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Just finished Blindness. Amazing.

Started in on The Collaborator of Bethlehem of couple of days ago.

Too Fat To Fish is excellent. I had to stop reading it around 4 chapters in though because it's a Christmas present for my girlfriend :lol . I just told myself I would read the intro, but it snowballed from there until I felt guilty because I realized I was about to give her a "used" present. As for me, I'm currently still sloooowly making my way through Stephen King's Bag of Bones. It's been merely okay so far (a little over halfway in) but I got it for free and I told myself I'd finish it before I start on the massive undertaking that is reading the entire Dark Tower series.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
backflip10019 said:
John Stubbs' biography of John Donne ... for my seminar.

Very engaging book thus far. Gives a great sense of late 16th, early 17th century England.

I just did 2200 on Canonization. Donne's pretty cool.

My wishlist is pretty empty currently although I'd like Swinburnes complete poetical works in print format. I gave up on AE Housman because he's boring and melodramatic as shit. Moved on to the collected of Rupert Brooke and let me tell you, that motherfucker was a poet.

I'll also probably give the rabbit novels another shot during the break and read through the new early short stories of updike collection.

way more

aparisi2274 said:
I just ordered these:

51nxQYVLCQL._SS500_.jpg

I am a big Howard Stern fan and I love Artie, so I wanted to check this out..

I'm not a Howard Stern fan but I really want to check that out too. I'm slowly making me way through Carter the Great and enjoying every second of it.

carter-beats-the-devil.jpg

variance

I just bought "The Road" from Amazon Prime last night. Will be browsing the suggestion threads in the forum as I doubt that'll last me all month.

Currently reading:

41GQQPK89QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Ceremonies by Essex Hemphill

bookcov200.jpg

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

On (Christmas) Wishlist:

4423_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

Drown by Junot Diaz

6315.jpg

Corregidora by Gayl Jones

21668697.JPG

Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon

KleinTheShockDoctrine041707.jpg

Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein

toni.h51.jpg

A Mercy by Toni Morrison

9780143039860H.jpg

Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey

I will be doing a lot of reading this winter.

way more

Spruchy said:
Just watched the movie, can't wait to start it tonight:

380px-AmericanPsychoBook.jpg

That took me some time to get though. Before you start reading I suggest you make a cheat sheet of different way a mens suit can be cut. You will spend much time reading about the different collar and cuff styles it will be worth it.

I finished,
carter-beats-the-devil.jpg

And enjoyed it even more than Kaviler and Clay.

My next book will be

x1381.jpg

I need something during all these religious holidays to point me to the one true path, Science.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
About 50 pages (there's a lot of pictures) into Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer's follow-up to Everything is Illuminated, which I loved. Quirky, innocent little boy Oskar the narrator is a bit too precious for me though, so I don't know if I'm going to stick with it. Any recommendations?

And still making my way through this at an enjoyable pace:

more-information-20081020-220426.jpg

John Hodgman is a genius of geniuses.

Oh yeah, also James Joyce's Dubliners, which is very very good.

Replicant

Stephen King's Just After Sunset and after that Skeleton Crew. Both are collections of short stories. The 2nd one include The Mist.

bengraven

Just finished yesterday:

61pHzwIA8BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

About to begin either one of these:

kite-runner.jpg

sweeney-todd.JPG

(yes, the original penny dreadful with mysterious author, just with the Johnny Depp movie cover)

Anton Chekhov, Five Plays. A bit maudlin at times but compelling, indeed.

F. Scott Fitzgerald, Great Gatsby. Not entirely irrelevant to current events, yes?

Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim. Great author. After reading Heart of Darkness again, however, I discovered some new areas of his work that I didn't particularly connect with. Exploring further.

John Mortimer, Rumpole on Trial. Rumpole finally takes on his worst client as the Bar's most formidable defense barrister... himself. An evergreen series of talkative adventures and judicial self-examination from the pen of a former barrister.

Modesitt, Saga of Recluce. Inordinate amount of "world-building", but a great character study nonetheless which actually manages to make carpentry interesting.

Jim Butcher, Princeps' Fury. FnordChan is right about this series. Plowed through this book in a day, and couldn't believe I had to wait another year for more. I couldn't continue slogging through the Dresden series after three or four entries, but I get the feeling this is actually heading somewhere. An unsung hero of recent fantasy, right next to Scott Lynch, Matthew Stover and Peter Brett.

Julian Stockwin, Kydd: The Admiral's Daughter. In the tradition of Hornblower, Aubrey and Bolitho, Stockwin's Kydd matches these timeless creations of fighting captains in the age of sail mostly because of his originality as a character. A wig-maker pressed into service on the lower decks, Kydd fights his way onto the quarter deck, going from common sailor to captain of his own ship and beyond throughout this series. Fascinatingly, there were a number of men who actually accomplished this in Napoleonic times, with a handful even becoming Admirals. In this book, he must now fumble through the equally disastrous shoals of polite society as a result of his first stationing in home waters.

I found it to be an enjoyable lull that takes a breather from the heavy action and fleshes out the character considerably with some very interesting events. Still, far from the best Stockwin has to offer, but I'm assured the next novel utilizes its events to become the greatest Kydd novel yet. Recommended for historical fiction lovers, although there are better age of sail novels.

FnordChan

Tim the Wiz said:
Jim Butcher, Princeps' Fury. FnordChan is right about this series. Plowed through this book in a day, and couldn't believe I had to wait another year for more. I couldn't continue slogging through the Dresden series after three or four entries, but I get the feeling this is actually heading somewhere. An unsung hero of recent fantasy, right next to Scott Lynch, Matthew Stover and Peter Brett.

As promised above, I did tear through Princeps' Fury in short order. I enjoyed the hell out of it, though this volume did strike me as having a fair amount of shuffling everyone around to get the plot set up for the ending of the series. I'm also curious to see if Butcher has any idea what to do with the Icemen in the next volume, as I didn't get the feeling they were very fleshed out here. Those quibbles aside, it was, as promised, tons of fun and I'm right there with Tim twitching and waiting anxiously for the next volume a year from now.

Tim, you may want to re-visit the Dresden books. You stopped right around the point where Butcher starts to pull everything he's introduced together and really get some long-term plotting going. I was enjoying 'em up until that point, but after that I was devouring the series. Something to consider, at any rate, with the caveat that Butcher has stated he wants to write around twenty books in the series, so he's going somewhere but he won't get there for a while. On the flip side, I feel that the Codex Alera books have one, maybe two more books in 'em until the main storyline is wrapped up.

Also, thanks for reminding me that I really need to read Rumpole of the Bailey sometime; I've had a copy gathering dust around here for a while now. Your Kydd recommendation also reminds me that I need to give the first Aubrey/Maturin book another go.

I also recent finished a couple of crime novels:

shotgun%20cover%20large%20post.jpg

Shotgun by Ed McBain (1969) - The book opens with the following disclaimer: "The city in these pages is imaginary. The people, the places are all fictitious. Only the police routine is based on established investigatory technique." That summed up this novel very nicely and apparently applies to the rest of his long-running 87th Precinct series. This was my first encounter with the 87th Precinct and, despite it being the 23rd book in the series, I was able to jump right in. The plot is pretty straight forward - a young couple is found dead in their apartment thanks to point blank shotgun blasts to the face - and the cops figure out who did it. McBain (aka Evan Hunter) writes using a minimal style, but unlike the Parker novels the style isn't necessarily hard boiled, and there's extremely black humor sprinkled liberally throughout. Also, it's not just a straight forward procedural, with plenty of dead ends, detours, and character moments thrown in - not bad for a book that clocks in at under two hundred pages. I was thoroughly entertained and look forward to reading more about the 87th, especially as it's the sort of series that can be read in any order. I'm also inspired to get back to reading William Marshall's Yellowthread Street series.

167.jpg

Severance Package by Duane Swierczynski (2008) - Jumping ahead almost 40 years later, I checked this out of the library based on the strong recommendation of friends of mine and wasn't disappointed. Admittedly, the first I'd heard of Swierczynski was that he was writing the current Cable comics - you know, the one with a mutant baby in a little baby pod on Cable's chest - and wasn't exactly compelled to read the book, even if that detail could probably be dismissed as unfortunate artistic license. That said, his crime fiction was pimped to me pretty strongly so I gave this a shot. The plot involves a bunch of employees who are called in to a Saturday morning meeting at their company where their boss plans to have them all killed. Why this is happening, who was expecting this, and how they react to the plan are all details that, to say any more, would spoil the fun. Some moments stretch things a bit far, but all in all it's a solid look at what would happen if your office suddenly became a slaughterhouse. Recommended for folks looking for a solid contemporary crime novel; I myself plan on reading more of Swierczynski's novels soon.

omwold.jpg

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (2005) - Finally, I've just started reading this Hugo nominated novel, which was given to me as a gift last Christmas. Whoops. Well, maybe I can finish it before the holiday. I've only just started it, but the basic plot is that in the future there are interstellar colonies that maintain a sort of quarantined contact with Earth, not least because they're fighting a long running war. Their main recruits for soliders are the elderly - at age 75 they're sent off into space to undergo a mysterious rejuvenation process that promises to make them young again - as long as they dedicate a decade of their new lives to the war. It's a fascinating premise and, 40 or so pages in, a solid read. I'll report back, hopefully before Christmas.

FnordChan

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I just started reading game of thrones. I've been meaning to read it for a while now, its fantastic so far.

FnordChan said:
Tim, you may want to re-visit the Dresden books. You stopped right around the point where Butcher starts to pull everything he's introduced together and really get some long-term plotting going. I was enjoying 'em up until that point, but after that I was devouring the series. Something to consider, at any rate, with the caveat that Butcher has stated he wants to write around twenty books in the series, so he's going somewhere but he won't get there for a while. On the flip side, I feel that the Codex Alera books have one, maybe two more books in 'em until the main storyline is wrapped up.

Interesting. I was afraid the Dresden plot at that point was drifting and becoming more formulaic. I'll go back and try and read the next few novels hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, the Codex Alera series often reminds me of Harry Turtledove's Videssos series, depicting the displacement of a Roman legion into an alternate reality, primarily for the accuracy of Roman military structure and tactics. There really needs to be more fiction that incorporates this time-frame. And yes, Butcher has set up the next few books in the series quite well with some brave choices along the way.

FnordChan said:
Old Man's War by John Scalzi (2005) - Finally, I've just started reading this Hugo nominated novel, which was given to me as a gift last Christmas. Whoops. Well, maybe I can finish it before the holiday. I've only just started it, but the basic plot is that in the future there are interstellar colonies that maintain a sort of quarantined contact with Earth, not least because they're fighting a long running war. Their main recruits for soliders are the elderly - at age 75 they're sent off into space to undergo a mysterious rejuvenation process that promises to make them young again - as long as they dedicate a decade of their new lives to the war. It's a fascinating premise and, 40 or so pages in, a solid read. I'll report back, hopefully before Christmas.

Great book, easily accessible, and importantly, extremely fun to read. While you can see why it didn't win the Hugo, I still think Scalzi would have been at home amongst the "New Wave" of science fiction writers. Also, he's massively gifted at injecting humour into his novels.

Gallbaro said:
you have my condolences, it is the most famous book that is never read.

I'd wager most economists would be guilty of this, too. :lol

nitewulf

its highly popular, but i was only impressed at the third story so far. the first story is very typical, it emulates noir but isn't a very convincing story. the second is interesting in the sense that it lets the reader have a glimspe inside the hasidic jewish community, but its more procedural and methodical than emotional and visual, which noir should be. the third story OTOH is very well written.
Brooklyn-Noir.jpg

Ford Prefect said:
About 50 pages (there's a lot of pictures) into Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer's follow-up to Everything is Illuminated, which I loved. Quirky, innocent little boy Oskar the narrator is a bit too precious for me though, so I don't know if I'm going to stick with it. Any recommendations?

Eugh, I hated that book. Foer is such a hack IMO - his books are overly sentimental and filled with gimmicks.

deadhouse.jpg

The Deadhouse Gates from the Malazan series. I'd given up on the series before...but I just can't let it go without at least finishing this book. So far I'm having a better time with it than the previous novel. A lot of things come easier into my mind to visualize and I'm a lot more aware of the little facts what gods there are, the various factions and what the goal of certain people are. Now that I've kind of escaped some of the "explanation" part of the series, I'm starting to get into a rhythm. Things are still somewhat convoluted however, and it hasn't drawn me in to the point where I'd like to read the next book.

I'm only about a 100 pages in though, so there is a lot of room for the series to pull me in fully.

250px-MillenniumFalcon.jpg

Millenium Falcon. Pretty much a prequel for the Fate of the Jedi series. Not sure where I stand on it right now because I'm not that far. So far it's very mildly interesting, and if it doesn't seem to go anywhere soon I may drop it.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
So far this month, I've read:

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

and I've read, for a second time:

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Today, while finishing up my Christmas shopping I bought:

Call Me Ted by Ted Turner, which I'll start tomorrow.

Before the end of the month, I'll also again read for, probably the 6th or 7th time:

The Alienist and Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr, which is the series I'd easily sell my soul for if, in turn, I could get a few new stories written. I'll also, hopefully, read the Watchmen graphic novel again...

Cyan said:
I'm moving on to The Lies of Locke Lamora, another GAF recommendation.

Speaking of recommendations, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Mistborn trilogy to other GAFers. Just in case my post above didn't make that obvious. :)

Scott Lynch deserves all the love in the galaxy. Good work. And I never picked up the second book in the Mistborn trilogy, primarily because
in the culmination of a mass class struggle, why would they allow an aristocrat to take the reigns of power. It just seemed a bit contrived.
I'll finish the trilogy someday, but definitely not a top priority.

Dark FaZe said:
Millenium Falcon. Pretty much a prequel for the Fate of the Jedi series. Not sure where I stand on it right now because I'm not that far. So far it's very mildly interesting, and if it doesn't seem to go anywhere soon I may drop it.

I'd like to hear more of this once you're done. I've hated near everything post-NJO, so can James Luceno (writer of the underrated The Unifying Force and Agents of Chaos duology) bring an enjoyable side-trip to this train-wreck? Good to see you're liking Malazan more now, wait 'till you reach the end!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
world-without-us.jpg

really really great read so far. very indepth look at how long, or short, man made things (cities, plastics, etc) would last before ultimately being returned to a state of "nature" again. its a topic i've thought often about lately and touches on many things i have wondered (how species would fill in the niche void left by extinct animals (us included), and plenty of new topics (microscopic plastics entiring and being magnified in food chains).

its a pretty easy read too, so non-science buffs would likely get a lot out of it as well.

bengraven

FnordChan said:
omwold.jpg

FnordChan

Didn't Scalzi work for a games rag a few years ago?

FnordChan

bengraven said:
Didn't Scalzi work for a games rag a few years ago?

Apparently so. Per Wikipedia: "For traditional media, Scalzi wrote a DVD review column and an opinion column for the Official US Playstation Magazine from 2000 through 2006". So, yeah, there you go.

I'm now about 90 pages in and Old Man's War is still pretty great, by the way.

FnordChan

bengraven

FnordChan said:
Apparently so. Per Wikipedia: "For traditional media, Scalzi wrote a DVD review column and an opinion column for the Official US Playstation Magazine from 2000 through 2006". So, yeah, there you go.

I'm now about 90 pages in and Old Man's War is still pretty great, by the way.

FnordChan

That's it. I remember them actually pimping this book in one issue.

Top Bottom