• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT ARE YOU READING? Feb? (love and kissies edition)

jet1911

9782266175944.jpg

Saya

9780006479895.jpg

I'm about 500 pages in and it's wonderful. I'll finish the book in a couple days. Book three and four are on their way, but I might read 1984 in between.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Read:

When We Were Orphans - Kazuo Ishiguro
A Pale View of Hills - Kazuo Ishiguro

Reading:

Elective Affinities - Goethe

On deck:

Fitzgerald short stories for awhile

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Finished Brave New World. Fucking amazing with some great (and sometimes hilarious) quotes that leap off the page.

Just started :

atlas_shrugged.jpg

Pretty good so far.

Been reading a lot of Greek plays for my classics class and I think I've found a new hobby. Best play I've read is probably The Bacchae. Bacchus is a cold SOB.

Flynn

Hey, readers!

Looking for something short and sweet to read and a place to discuss it?

I just started the official NeoGAF Short Story thread, where we'll be posting and discussing a new piece of contemporary short fiction every week.

This week's story is "Ash Wednesday" by T.C. Boyle.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
2260963087_10351e2ce9.jpg

Charles Dicken's Great Expectations and H.P. Lovecraft. I'm nibbling at the Lovecraft book since its assorted works by him (so lots of standalone stuff, so I can't really barrel through it).

Joni

I bought this one for about €20 during my vacation in Danmark in the recent paperback edition containing all seven Narnia books. I finished it in a week. I also bought John Macnab there. Two nights of reading. (Twice the English version)

31C9JS873TL._AA240_.jpg

n3124.jpg

This one I bought and read when I was back at home, the Dutch edition. Saramago is a bit too hard when not reading in your mother tongue.

611qvYCcrbL._AA240_.jpg

newsguy

511F65bA1bL._SS500_.jpg

If you played the game you owe it to yourself to read this. It talks alot about the Batarians, which is the new race that will be included in the DLC. If you enjoyed the storyline of the game, I highly recommend it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Spike said:
Do you happen to know what series are included in this omnibus? I want to pick up this and the Indiana Jones omnibus.

Tempest, Secondary Objectives, The Enemy Within, and Terminator: One Shot, all from the early 90s. James Robinson wrote Secondary Objectives, and I remember it fondly. Hopefully it holds up.

Spike

Guileless said:
Tempest, Secondary Objectives, The Enemy Within, and Terminator: One Shot, all from the early 90s. James Robinson wrote Secondary Objectives, and I remember it fondly. Hopefully it holds up.

Thanks.

Loki

Count of Concision
Decided to read a fiction book for the first time in nearly 14 years*; I picked up Dean Koontz's "The Bad Place." I used to love his stuff back when I was 14-16. Good book, nearly done.

*excluding stuff required for college

Just finished:

Typee - Herman Meliville

Decent, but nothing out of this world.

Reading:

Paradise Lost - John Milton

Yeah, fuck that. Too bad it's for a class, so I'm screwed.

24w4o4i.jpg

Just got it from my library today. :lol Hilarious book. I've only read the first twenty pages or so, but its had me in tears multiple times already.

DjangoReinhardt said:
Read:

When We Were Orphans - Kazuo Ishiguro
A Pale View of Hills - Kazuo Ishiguro

How were these?

I've read Remains of the Day, and just recently Never Let Me Go.

To be honest, on the strength of those two works alone, I'd call Ishiguro the greatest living novelist (short fiction being an entirely different thing).

My god, the man can tell a story.

So I'd be curious on how you liked those two books, I was thinking about picking up When We Were Orphans from the library soon.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well I just finished Slapstick, and trying to decide what to read next. For a while I've been wanting to read a book on Nikola Tesla, but don't know what book to pick up. Any suggestions? I'd like something with a nice balance of his life and his wacky creations.

I'm reading Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

It is quite funny but often loses focus (sometimes in a good way, sometimes not so good.)

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
HolyStar said:
For a long time, I thought that this was the Bioshock Book. It seems like a decent read, but I heard it was kind of dull.

It'd dull if you're stupid. At the very least even if you disagree with it, it's valuable reading.

HolyStar

Banned
QVT said:
It'd dull if you're stupid. At the very least even if you disagree with it, it's valuable reading.

I would love to read that book if it wasn't so big. Maybe in the summer with some free time I could read that. It is the bioshock book so anyone who liked the video game should check it out.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Anyone have any recommendations for Adventure books? I kind of have a specific scenario in mind. Sort of like Myst where your in some unknown land and the main character is traversing through said land. For some reason I have this urge to read such scenario.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
24379993.JPG
13698076.JPG

I'm starting John Grisham's latest this weekend and reading about the Berlin Wall. On the day the wall started going up, East German propaganda described it as an "anti-fascist protection barrier." :lol The photo on the right side of the cover is of the immediate aftermath of the barrier going up suddenly without warning. That building was in East Berlin, but the street behind it was in West Berlin, so when people realized what was happening they started jumping out of the windows while soldiers tried to round them up. Eventually the buildings were bulldozed and the concrete wall constructed there.

Xater

Finally have some reading time and I can actually pimp a german book because there is a translation of it.

51vicFFQg4L._SS500_.jpg

A humurous look at the lifes of Humboldt and Gauss. I highly recommend it.

Chony

24509271.jpg

Old man and the sea was absolutely amazing. Just started the sun also rises. There is a lot of alcohol consumption in this book, even by Hemingway standards.

Top Bottom